/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

Read >search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect anons making their own threads with >Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: 1521264704500.jpg (701x1024, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/openxcom/
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=ups&N=-1&isNodeId=1
amazon.com/StarTech-MUYHSFMM-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B0058DOWH6
hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G151596669222
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883797343
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883159934
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487244
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4YU7B97168
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438132
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reminder that this guy literally traces CP

it's great isn't it :^)

How would you know?

How do I compile OpenXcom?

What is the difference between
>Black Arch
and
>Kali

Attached: 42c.jpg (680x413, 17K)

Show example.

I've heard this meme, but never seen it proven.

Unironically install linux. Developing software on windows (outside visual studio) is a death-trap.

iirc one is debian

aur.archlinux.org/packages/openxcom/
makepkg -cirs
no idea how to windows tho

Why are there no consumer-grade DC-out UPS for shit like routers and smaller NASes? Is power loss for 1-2 meters of dc cable higher than power loss from DC-AC and AC-DC conversion at 12-24V 50-100W?

>DC-out UPS
w-what? How would you connect to it? All of the routers I've seen use a wall wart that does the AC-DC conversion.

You would use bundled DC-DC cable with replaceable tip like the ones that come with third party universal laptop power adapters.

Fuck me I'm retarded, didn't think of laptop power banks at first.
Still, those have three issues for my use case:
Always-on, not line-interactive, constantly killing battery.
Limited output power, 60W is fine a router but not enough for a NAS (or a fucking 200W+ laptop)
No management interface, my current APC UPS is connected to a NAS providing safe shutdown in case of prolonged power loss, and combined with usb lte modem in a router it automatically sends me power status notifications.

You realize not all DC powered devices use the same voltage, right?

Most devices use either 12V or 5V

Does anyone know of any tech-related loot crates?

>loot crates
why would you do that

Because I came into a lot of money and I wanted to see what sort of cancer I could get from a loot crate meme.

>Most devices use either 12V or 5V
The only devices I have on my desk that uses 5VDC are phones, and they charge via USB. The monitors, and three computers all use 19VDC. Laptop uses 19VDC. My car uses 12VDC. All of these things use different amperage also. Your idea is stupid, but atleast you asked the question in the correct thread.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of how Android phone customization works (custom ROMs etc.)? I've used Android phones for several years but never got into things like rooting, custom ROMs, unlocking bootloaders, etc. I don't even know what those terms really mean. AFAIK, you generally unlock your bootloader and use a custom recovery bootloader to be able to run a different ROM instead? As I understand it this can be done without rooting the device, so what does rooting do, why would you want to do it?

I'm shopping for a new phone that I want to last me for 2+ years, and I'd like to have the option to get into this type of stuff. I just don't know what to look for when shopping for a new phone.

1. Not even the guy
2. He was talking about small devices that uses wall adapters like small routers, not powering your entire setup using DC

>All of these things use different amperage also
Oh I see you have no idea what you are talking about

You and Thomas Edison lost. Deal with it.

The fuck are you even talking about

newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=ups&N=-1&isNodeId=1
Just plug your shit into one of these.

So in the recent update Spotify ((devs)) made it so that having the spotify ad servers blocked in hosts file will result in the user not being able to use 99% of the client's features anymore. Only solution so far is to either delete the appdata/local spotify folder each time before the client is started or just taking the entry out of the hosts file, which makes ads play again. Anyone know if the Ezblock thing works with the changed host file aswell still?

Can I store btrfs snapshots on my zfs pool?

I need to feed mic input into two soundcards. Can I just use a 3.5mm splitter? Should I expect interference between the two cards?

>Can I store btrfs snapshots on my zfs pool?
I don't see why not.

>I need to feed mic input into two soundcards. Can I just use a 3.5mm splitter? Should I expect interference between the two cards?
Should work fine. The splitter will likely cause some line loss, but I doubt it will create interference.

>Should work fine. The splitter will likely cause some line loss, but I doubt it will create interference.
Cool. Would a standard 4-pin female to 2x 3-pin male adapter work, or do I need to find one that does 3-pin on both sides.

How do I manage to simultaneously control 2 separate windows with the same inputs? For example, typing the same inputs in Notepad at the same time.

Is there any reason I shouldn’t use a free RAT like njrat, fatrat, or dark comet to remote access my own computers when I’m away?

I could just use team viewer or RDP but they seem to have less features, such as remote executing programs. My main concern is that using a RAT could open my network and PCs to more vulnerabilities.

Any responses are appreciated

Attached: B4328D47-F15F-43C1-92FD-A94B30BB8DC5.png (484x484, 66K)

After doing a system update on Void Linux I get these messages right after logging in via LXDM, and it gets stuck here.

my-host-name" login :nm-dispatcher: req:1 ‘hostname’: new request (0 scripts)
nm-dispatcher: req:1 ‘hostname’: completed:no scripts

I already googled and found a few other people who had the same problem but no solutions.

Is the expression "balls to the wall" considered rude/vulgar?

For most people it's considered low brow

Bump

anyone know a good way of making a tripcode generator?

In win7 how do I prevent cmd-like window from closing?
For example, trying to use mkvinfo
type mkvinfo video.mkv in TotalCommander's command line - black window pops for a split second and disappears

Post a pic of what you're talking about. When you say 'pin' are you talking about the seperate sections on the 3.5mm jack?

IS there a good session backup extenfion for Firefox yet? Whenever I close the browser normally, it loads tabs that are like 2 weeks old mixed with some of the tabs I had open last session.
I have two windows open with 10+ tabs each, so I want EVERYTHING to open properly when I reset my PC.

Attached: 1505950169713.png (295x229, 92K)

Hey Jow Forums, brainlet here. This is a weird phenomenon thats been happening to me. Anytime I open Speccy, and ONLY Speccy, my PC makes a weird ticking noise and I cant find out where it's coming from. When I close Speccy the ticking stops. Anyone know what might be happening?

Attached: Specs.png (519x406, 23K)

Tab Mix Plus

Unless you fell for the quantum meme

Session Manager, unless you're using Quantum. Then you're fucked

I've got a 1TB secondary HDD. I use mostly for back up and everything else is stored on SSDs.
While it's fully working the HDD is extremely loud, and also makes the whole case vibrate until I punch it.

Now I set it to turn itself off automatically after 5minutes in power settings which seems to work. But the HDD is turning itself back on randomly even though nothing is accessing it.

How do I prevent it from turning itself on without my consent, is there a external enclosure I can use for it instead.

Thanks

Do you know about adobe premiere?

I am trying to track this image on top of the video but can't find out the best way.
I do it frame by frame now.
I also have after effects without plugins but I am more comfortable with premiere.

Any ideas?

Attached: asdasdasdasdas.jpg (1917x985, 317K)

On any website I can click on the text and move around the cursor with my keyboard like a text editor. Video explains what I mean. The highlighting is from me holding shift and pressing the arrow keys.

I think it's kindof cool, but I'm wondering why it only happens on this computer, and how to disable it. I'm using firefox on lubuntu 16.04.

Attached: ssrvid0-(2).webm (802x722, 1.62M)

Maybe it's the hard drive? Try opening files from it and see if the ticking starts

I'm not sure if this will work, though if you're using it as a back up mostly, you could try removing the drive letter using "diskmgmt.msc" when you're not using it. This would also prevent most of file crypter attacks from encrypting your 'backup' files. There are some which bypass this, though 99% of the time it will protect your files.

I tried setting it offline in dskmngr but even then it turns itself on randomly, must be the firmware telling it to do so

I'm working on a exam where i'm tasked with writing the ASM part of a c file (that will run on linux but that's beside the point)
Now, the c file takes a .txt as a argument and allocates a buffer (removed the code not relevant to the question).
enum { MAXLINES = 400 };
enum { LIN_LEN = 15 };

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
int i = 0;
char bufferin[MAXLINES*LIN_LEN+1] ;
char line[1024];

FILE *inputFile = fopen(argv[1], "r");

while (i < MAXLINES && fgets(line, sizeof(line), inputFile))
{
i = i + 1;
strcat( bufferin, line) ;
}

bufferin[MAXLINES*LIN_LEN] = '\0' ;

fclose(inputFile);

Now the .txt file looks like this (redacted for brevity)

000-0001011000
100-0001011000
001-0001111000
011-0001111000

Now, since this will run on linux, the end of every line of the .txt file will be just a "\n" or newline but what i'm wondering, since i can't check right now cuz i'm on win$hit is:
>what is the last "useful" character written in the array?
Useful being "last character before jumbled mess caused by having 80% of the array empty because the content of the .txt is much smaller than the amount of memory allocated to the array"
I think that the last character that gets written by strcat (or by the penultimate line of code written above) will be a "/0" indicating the end of the .txt but i'd like to be sure so i can start working on it immediately

>inb4 InStAlL gEnToO
If i had i wouldn't be here on /sqt/ after all

How do I generate all 3 digit numbers, whose digits sum up to n? It's not homework but I am retarded.

Just got a new windows laptop so I'm looking for recommended programs and wondering if the wiki is out of date or not.

qbitorrent for torrenting?
Kawaii Codec Pack for videos?

Any other generally recommended programs?

does ubuntu 18.04 still have shit support for hires monitors?

Best Android app for getting dnscrypt and dnssec going?

>Now I set it to turn itself off automatically after 5minutes in power settings which seems to work. But the HDD is turning itself back on randomly even though nothing is accessing it.
Are you using windows? Either turn off indexing, or abort the drive when you're not using it.

>While it's fully working the HDD is extremely loud, and also makes the whole case vibrate until I punch it.
Stop doing this unless you want to break the drive. You've likely already done some damage. Run a SMART test on it. Crystaldisk should have this feature.

>On any website I can click on the text and move around the cursor with my keyboard like a text editor.
Might be an add-on you have in Firefox. What version and what add-ons do you use?

>qbitorrent for torrenting?
>Kawaii Codec Pack for videos?
I don't use windows, but those do get recommended here often. Deluge is another torrent client people recommend, and K-lite is another codec pack.

How does one make a raid 1 array from a bunch of 3.5 and 2.5 drives laying around? Some redundancy (raid 1) and a simple indicator that drive X is fucked and needs replacement is all I need. I want to connect it to a laptop with one free sata and several usb 3.0 ports. Found it somewhere, seems to be working fine except for the fucked screen. I want to make a home server out of it. All of the pre-build raid array boxes cost more than all of my drives and this shitty laptop are worth together.

Attached: 1502297553946.png (595x960, 473K)

>When you say 'pin' are you talking about the seperate sections on the 3.5mm jack?
Yes. Could I use the following, plugging the mic into the female and males into the sound cards?
amazon.com/StarTech-MUYHSFMM-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B0058DOWH6

let's say I have a bunch of FLAC files that I need to transcode and I want a program that can do multiple files at once, to make better use of the cpu and finish everything faster
can any program do it natively or should I just write a script to open multiple instances of say, ffmpeg?

Need help with Youtube.

So I went on YouTube and searched for my oneitis' full name (it's a fairly unique name) and exactly one video popped up as a result.
It's a 20 second long video and she DOES show up in the video for like 2 seconds, but it's not exciting or anything.
Anyway, I looked at the video title, the video description, the tags, and her name isn't mentioned anywhere. The video doesn't have any comments either. And the uploader isn't her either, though it's probably a friend.
That makes me wonder: why does YouTube correlate my search for [insert her name] with this video?
What part about my search term made Youtube know that I wanted this video?

the botnet recognized her face in the video by searching her name and finding pictures

>How does one make a raid 1 array from a bunch of 3.5 and 2.5 drives laying around? Some redundancy (raid 1) and a simple indicator that drive X is fucked and needs replacement is all I need. I want to connect it to a laptop with one free sata and several usb 3.0 ports. Found it somewhere, seems to be working fine except for the fucked screen. I want to make a home server out of it. All of the pre-build raid array boxes cost more than all of my drives and this shitty laptop are worth together.
Does if have a PCIe slot? USB is shit for raid.
You can use FreeNAS, it has reporting for the drives, but you need get an add-in card that has SATA III ports on it. Make sure it's not a RAID card. It will look like one, but the ports are passive, and RAID is handled by the FreeNAS software.

Alternatively, you can get a cheap, unmanaged, switch off of newegg (like $20) and a couple odroid's, and just make them a network share.

Or, you can make them all wireless with something like this
hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G151596669222

werd, that's what I was thinking. Should work. If it doesn't, just return it to Amazon, they're good about that.

>What part about my search term made Youtube know that I wanted this video?
Dude, it's a botnet. What do you expect? That's the sole purpose of everything Google (ABC) does, is mine data. They need to be able to do this so they can sell the tech capabilities to advertisers, so shit like google and youtube stay 'free'
Remember, if you aren't paying for a product, you are the product.

60.0.2 (64-bit)

1-Click YouTube Video Downloader
Greasemonkey
NoScript
Privacy Badger
Tab Auto Refresh
uBlock Origin
Video DownloadHelper
LeechBlock NG

Doesn't seem like any of those would cause that. Could it be a setting? Only thing I remember changing was disabling dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled

I'm always amazed at how brilliant, and yet useless Google is.
If it's such a big botnet, it might as well just show me all her nudes, not some useless video where she eats dinner with her friends

>Or, you can make them all wireless with something like this
>hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G151596669222
What the hell. Anyways, I'd rather utilize my gigabit lan port than have shitty wireless speeds.

>Does if have a PCIe slot? USB is shit for raid.
maybe if I'll get rid of wireless network card

>Make sure it's not a RAID card. It will look like one, but the ports are passive, and RAID is handled by the FreeNAS software
why sw raid would be better than hw in my case?

>Could it be a setting?
I don't think so, I think it might be with the way the DE working with the program. Just a guess. Try disabling your add-ons, and see if you can still do it.

>why sw raid would be better than hw in my case?
Different sized drives. That way you can set them up into like size/speed arrays.

they can't show private files/information you dumbfuck

if i install 2 operating systems then delete one, that would just be empty space right? like i couldn't "claim" it for the other OS?

What are some good mp3 options? I don't like using my phone

Yes, you'd need to partition it though. Probably easiest to just make it an entirely new partition rather than expanding your partition.

>What are some good mp3 options? I don't like using my phone
Install rockbox on any of the following:

Apple: iPod 1g through 5.5g, iPod Mini, iPod Nano 1g, iPod Nano 2g
Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
Cowon: iAudio X5, X5V, X5L, M5, M5L, M3 and M3L
Creative: Zen Mozaic, Zen X-Fi, Zen X-Fi 3 and Zen X-Fi Style
iriver: iHP100 series, H100 series, H300 series and H10 series
MPIO: HD300
Olympus: M:Robe 100
Packard Bell: Vibe 500
Philips: GoGear SA9200, GoGear HDD16x0 and HDD63x0
Samsung: YH-820, YH-920 and YH-925
Sony: NWZ-E360, NWZ-E370 and NWZ-E380 series
SanDisk: Sansa c200, e200 and e200R series, Fuze and Fuze+, Clip, Clip+ and Clip Zip
Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series

is there a folder outside of C:, D:, etc.? I'm trying to copy a the files from my friend's old computer to transfer them to his new laptop. should I worry about anything being outside of those folders?

all the files*

Read the manual my friend:

>Appends a copy of the source string to the destination string. The terminating null character in destination is overwritten by the first character of source, and a null-character is included at the end of the new string formed by the concatenation of both in destination.
>and a null-character is included at the end of the new string formed by the concatenation of both in destination.

Having said all that strncat is safer to use than strcat.

How long have other people been reading my gmails?

no way to be sure of this afaik. most likely since ever

it depends on how long the message is

Thanks m8

So i'll find a nice \0 after the last number, good, this saves me a whole lot of headaches

>is there a folder outside of C:, D:, etc.? I'm trying to copy a the files from my friend's old computer to transfer them to his new laptop. should I worry about anything being outside of those folders?
You've got the fucking laptop, you tell us.

I stopped a couple years ago. You're boring as fuck.

Protip: I do read some other people's emails, their email address has the same letters as mine, but they have periods in it, and mine doesn't. Gmail sends them all to me. One user is in Arizona, the other in Florida. When I flag someone as spam, it flags the other users too. It's fun. I do some other stuff with it too when I'm bored.

You can't and never could use dots when registering, dot and plus aliases were a feature of gmail since the start.

Indexing is off already, and I don't know what you mean by abort, but I did try setting it offline in dskmngr without success.

I'm not punching my harddrive, I hit my case as it's whats vibrating

>You can't and never could use dots when registering, dot and plus aliases were a feature of gmail since the start.
wut? can't and never could...feature since the start.
What are you saying?
I've had my first accounts since 2004 when it was invite only. These other accounts have periods in the name fields, and I get their mail, but they don't get mine. That's how it's been for as long as I can remember.

>Indexing is off already, and I don't know what you mean by abort, but I did try setting it offline in dskmngr without success.
>I'm not punching my harddrive, I hit my case as it's whats vibrating
abort/eject. If it's connected via USB click on the USB icon in the bar on the bottom and eject it from there. If it's connected via SATA, enable hot swapping in the Bios.
Don't hit your computer user, you're not married to it.

Need Windows sometimes. Should I get Cygwin or is there something better now?

Attached: 20170105_193402.jpg (5312x2988, 2.61M)

I mean, usually. the only partitions are C and D in this case, but I'm not sure if it's possible to have stuff out of them. don't wanna miss any folder for this

>Need Windows sometimes. Should I get Cygwin or is there something better now?

Install ubuntu and use a VM or wine.

Open a command prompt as admin.
diskpart
list disk
select disk X
list partition
select disk Y
list partition
select disk Z
list partition
exit
exit

or search for 'disk management' and open that.

I am a console gamer who recently came into a decent chunk of cash.

Can I buy a gaming PC that's VR ready for under $1300? Is this CyberPowerPC site that lets me build my own any good?

>show example
Sure, let my just post some CP.

>I am a console gamer who recently came into a decent chunk of cash.
>Can I buy a gaming PC that's VR ready for under $1300? Is this CyberPowerPC site that lets me build my own any good?
That site will rape you.
Buy a refurbished desktop on newegg with a second generation i7 or better (negligent improvements over time), upgrade the CPU cooler, install a GTX 1080, and new power supply (800W is overkill, but fuck it). The cost of this will be the cost of a good monitor. Add keyboard/mouse, chair, you're at around $2000

Build your own, their $999 computer doesn't even have an SSD as standard.

I'm talking strictly pre-built. I'm not technologically intelligent enough to build my own.

Ignoring the monitor/keyboard/mouse, because I have them. Can I achieve a VR desktop for roughly $1000-$1500?

It's idiot proof, it used to be that the biggest worry when building a PC was shorting the motherboard when putting it into the case but even that's hard to fuck up these days.

I've had good experience with Lenovo refurbs in the past, this looks promising.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883797343

does that tell you anything?

Attached: Sem título.png (630x471, 16K)

bitch lasagna

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883159934
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487244
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4YU7B97168

Cost is approximately $1080

A similarly specced CyberPowerPC would run you >$2000

Change power supply with this: