/hpg/ - Headphone General

T for Topping edition.

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in boards.Jow Forums.org/g/#s=csg

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread: → #

Remember that Topping DX7 measures better than some 2k costing meme dacs and offers a good amp at the same time for only 400 dollars. Disregard Headfi ignoramuses, Plebbit and SBAF fotm faggots, they can’t accept the truth because they’re seething at Amir just because he proved that the based chinks can make a product that objectively BTFO’s their audiophool shit setups for only 1/8th of the price.

Attached: 3BEE3D8E-1829-489C-8AA7-F701B7768C33.jpg (1200x472, 375K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Health-Personal-Care-Earplugs/zgbs/hpc/3779871
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

buy stax

how many of those 32bits is just encoding noise?

Attached: F61F4E71-9A78-422B-90D8-B472BDC033E0.jpg (2545x3880, 2.27M)

reminder to bully schiit owners

I was promised feet

buy stax d50

Gimme noise cancelling headphones, I'm flying across the world and I fucking hate airplane sounds

OP ruining /hpg/ for third day.

the actual dynamic range is about 20 bits, as with most good DA chips

Closed back, fool.
Can't be any more ruined than the five notNamefags that spam all day.

the best thing you can do is get a pair of proper earmuffs then mod headphones inside of them, nothing will isolate better than this and anc is a meme

amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Health-Personal-Care-Earplugs/zgbs/hpc/3779871

what amp is that?

Repostan, no answer so far:
I did some more research, is there any reason to not buy the IFI Audio Nano iDSD Black Label?
I chose this specific one because it has low output impedance so I can connect my 35ohm headphones that sound not as good as they should on my new motherboard.
And it has line out so I can connect it to my amp and speakers that are now connected directly to my tv, which gets its signal from my pc over hdmi. Lots of noise.
Also, not stupid expensive (my current audio hardware cost around $1500, so I'm not gonna spend $1000+ on just a dac/amp.
Lastly, it has good reviews that do not seem to be based on fanboyism and fairy tales (as far as I can tell).

Attached: 318ifi.promo_.jpg (600x772, 68K)

Buy Topping DX7S

fiio e10k or smsl m3
there is no reason for you to buy anything else

wa22

Big con would be no power supply. It's a portable unit and if you keep it on your desk permanently, the battery will ruin. Don't know about the nano, but the regular Idsd black label's battery is quickly drained if plugged in constantly. Also it doesn't charge when playing music at the regular power setting.

user, it has to be within reason. Between $300-600.

get a topping dac or the smsl su-8

My onboard audio (ALC 1220) started to make "tsk" sounds frequently, no matter what audio device is plugged in. Is it time to buy an external DAC?

Attached: 1530243484566.jpg (568x450, 49K)

get a topping dac or the smsl su-8

It is always time to buy an external DAC.

the correct time to buy an external dac is whenever you feel like buying a new thing to play with

>It's a portable unit and if you keep it on your desk permanently, the battery will ruin.
I emailed them about that, yes. Wonder how they'll reply.

Too high output impedance, otherwise I would've gone for a topping stack indeed.
SMSL has even higher impedance.

The fiio also looks interesting, thanks! SMSL has too high output impedance, like so many in this price bracket. Either relative high output impedance, or not enough outputs.

Okay, I have owned both HD600 & HD650 for 4 and 3 years respectively. Whats the next ladder to climb. Don't have Stax money or patience to acquire a stax setup. Whats a logical upgrade?

you said youre plugging it into your amp, why do you need low impedance on a dac

What would I be able to expect going from a K701 (Austria built) to an HD 600? Upgrade or side grade?

that'd be stax

>I chose this specific one because it has low output impedance so I can connect my 35ohm headphones that sound not as good as they should on my new motherboard
Line out will go to my amp that is a bit away from my pc, I use my speakers only for movies and music when I have people over.

sidegrade

Objectively it is a sidegrade, but subjectively it can feel like a big upgrade. While HD600 certainly isn’t a basshead phone, I personally found it a lot meatier and comfier than K701:s overly clinical presentation.

theyre roughly the same but the hd600 is the most standard headphone in the hobby and its what everybody compares everything to

FiiO Q1
The first one, not mkII

stax is comically overpriced

what estat do you recommend for better value

Why not get a 650? That way you would have 2 very different sound signatures that compliment each other rather well. You've got your cold analytical can and your warm, slightly bassy, rolled off can. You can get one used for under $200 or buy the 6xx off Massdrop if you have the patience.

I honestly find all you stax shills and DAC measurement fags disgusting.

Attached: 1526180621838.jpg (377x351, 24K)

see you tomorrow

Best course of action to replace a magni 3 and modi 2 for both low impedance inefficient planars and typical beyer 250 senn 300 ohm headphones?
I'm considering one of those thx AAA amps and a topping d10

>what estat do you recommend
I would not recommend electrostatics period.

Attached: 1526439086680.jpg (184x184, 8K)

oh ok then, I hope you get to try them one day

Audio god. And Bottlehead crack

Attached: 1528080590526.jpg (1122x1285, 126K)

I hope you do to user.

Attached: hmhm.png (573x353, 17K)

thats a neat screenshot. why did you post it? anyways, yea I love using estats every day. thank you for your blessing.

Speaking of Bottlehead, how is their customer service? They forgot my smaller tube. I got a response but none confirming if they'll send me the missing tube.

My phone is absolute garbage and the audio out is trash (Nexus 4). I don't want to get an amp, I'd rather have a small separate audio player thats simple and cheap. Does anyone have recommendations? I see Sansa Clip for ~$60.

uh huh

Attached: Stillhavethem.png (639x338, 175K)

what point are you trying to make using these pictures of text and what does it have to do with me hoping that you get to try an estat headphone one day so you can hold an opinion on them?

grug have all bungaphone big know opinion

Attached: 33253.png (813x410, 122K)

Look here pal I am too smart for you to even comprehend. And these encrypted images are the first step to understanding the labyrinth and enigma that is my mind. If you think there is a deeper meaning to my post then you would be correct. Enlightenment awaits you at the end.

Attached: phone-call1-e1435588354774.jpg (2716x1810, 449K)

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1524278365972.jpg (1920x1200, 1.34M)

lol

Attached: teehee.png (1378x652, 3.43M)

narcissistic posturing child

The necessity of ceasing functions is upon you.

Good stuff.
Post setup, user.

Attached: 1502187273441.png (1280x721, 1.17M)

After you cease.

He has posted setup.
Why do you not post setup?
Are you No Headphones user?

I have posted my setup. Autism and namefagging (with or without name) should not be encouraged.

Attached: 20180702_133213.jpg (648x1080, 321K)

>t. NHA

who is no headphone user

Is the ER4SR worth almost double the price of the ER3SE?

I went HD598 -> HD650 -> Stax SR L300

The stax blows the sennheisers out of the water in terms of detail. The HD's are better at playing loud and video games.

>Output impedance 20Ω (balanced headphone jack)

lol

no iem is worth more than $20

I mean calling the lcd2 shit trash garbage is a small stretch
but it does have quite a limited type of music it's good with
should have got a hd600 and hd580 instead to complete collection

Attached: headphones3.jpg (1576x1178, 1.2M)

planar memegnetic headphones should burn

>budget
$150 but flexible
>location
USA
>source
PC and 2011ish macbook
>type of headphone, open or closed
Over the ear, closed
>comfort level
Comfy is nice, but I'm good as long as it doesn't hurt.
>sound signature
Neutral maybe, I'm not sure. I listen to death and black metal.
>past headphones
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X, Hifiman re400 Waterline (broken)

Obviously

Electrostatic lack Bass. Bass is the most important in music.

it's interesting that people who haven't tried electrostatics keep repeating this

>The stax blows the sennheisers out of the water in terms of detail.
The veiled HD598 and HD650? Easy.
But don't put HD600 in the same plate.

you're just sour grapes disregarding the entire driver technology is ridiculous
he500 with jerg pads is obscenely good
really want to hear a he1000 and SINE

I have four headphones (one retired) to accompany my speaker setup. Building a crack, waiting on THX amp looking for a new DAC. Now, stop posting.

Who is the worst poster?

argon user
stax(less) shills
floor user

Electrostatic have no bass. This is known.

>you're just sour grapes disregarding the entire driver technology is ridiculous
t. nostaxer

>These Lambda Professionals and the SRM-1/MK-2 Professional amplifier were developed at the request of Mercedes-Benz, who asked Stax to develop a high-output version of the regular SR-Lambda (not Pro) that had been introduced in 1979. Mercedes-Benz needed a transducer that could reproduce extreme subsonic information loudly to help them reproduce the sounds of automobiles for design and analysis.
>Elsewhere it's(lambda pro) been rated at an insane 114dB at 20 Hz, and an unfathomable 111 dB at 10 Hz. Daimler-Benz needed this for analyzing car noise and vibration.

not really, no. there is no better way to reproduce extremely low frequencies than electrostatics except for very large subwoofers.

Did I blow my headphones?

I've had ATHM50s for 3 years now. They've never let me down, but they've abruptly started sounding off on music that I know sound good on them.

I've tested different frequency wave tones and there's some clear distortion coming from the left driver once I dip below 200 hz.

It's lost that crisp "thud" during kick drums and it's more like a PFFF coming from the left. Sounds a lot looser.

I tested both on my phone and my desktop. The crappy amp on my soundcard could be the culprit since these headphones really don't need any power at all to be extremely loud.

Check for hair.

check for hairs

>argon user
Why do people call me the "worst" poster? I don't even post that much.

Attached: 1530117956650.jpg (1269x1774, 252K)

you post an enormous amount nearly every single day

Which one would you suggest between the Phillips FidelioX2 and the Sennheiser HD599? I've read Mad Lust Envy guide for headphones on head-fi.com, and they seem to prefer the FidelioX2 . My principal use is gaming and music. I want a relatively balanced sound, maybe only slightly going towards bass for gaming but not too much. For the AMP it's a no-brainer Astro MixAmp.

Attached: 61rC-yMhtZL._SL1000_.jpg (1000x1000, 99K)

nu-/hpg/ just blindly shilled that crap because their prophet Amir said so anyway. Any sane person will know that the high OI is a deal breaker.

No?

Attached: Cover (2).jpg (1388x1400, 301K)

>headfi
try inner fidelity wall of fame

>inner fidelity

Attached: oof.webm (640x360, 2.55M)

>114dB at 20 Hz, and an unfathomable 111 dB at 10 Hz

Either I'm reaching those amplitudes or Lambdas start to faintly discharge from the excursion quite earlier than that.

>literally unable to stop lying
underdeveloped teenager

are yours sealed?

Yes.

I have an x2, very happy with it, surprising amount of bass too, without becoming nasty.

did you measure with a SPL meter or by ear? flecher-munson?

He seems to recommend the FidelioX2 as well, but he's more on a full-audiophile meanwhile I'm in an entry-level situation while still searching for some amount of quality.

Could you stop making stuff up. I find it unsettling.

Attached: hpure.jpg (280x275, 48K)