Will haiku and the like ever become useful?

I've tried openBSD and it feels just like a worse version of a Linux distro. Plan9 is dead, but something like Haiku seems both interesting and potentially beautiful.

Leaving LARPing aside, is there any chance it would actually become passible as a general use desktop OS like various Linux distros?

Attached: haikuR1_alpha4.jpg (800x598, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nobius.org/dbg/practical-file-system-design.pdf
github.com/haikuports/haikuports/tree/master/dev-lang/python
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I read today that they are finally getting Libre Office. Babby steps, I guess.

>is there any chance it would actually become passible as a general use desktop OS like various Linux distros?
No, it would have done it already.

Sad situation we are in, where the best open source can offer are Linux distros. But I guess they aren't half bad.

Great news. Hope they can finally stabilize the 64bit. They seem like a nice bunch.

Attached: Screenshot_20180702-210305.png (1920x1080, 168K)

Haiku id getting very close to being practical as a main OS if you have the right hardware (so, a T420 or Core 2 Duo machine with a Radeon).
I'm excited.

>I read today that they are finally getting Libre Office.
Sad situation we are in when the best people can ask for is a shitty WYSIWYG word processor suite.

Such a fun little OS, didn't evolved a whole lot in the past years it seems though...

I want a system
haiku is not the one for me
thank god for windows

>Plan9 is dead
It's not more dead than haiku. At least 9front knows their shit

>At least 9front knows their shit
I checked their website page in it's just a plain paper with tons of "funny" memes.
Did I miss something there?

Is EFI supported on Haiku?

Haiku OS is 80% of the way there. All it's lacking is programs, drivers, and needs a few bugs ironed out. Otherwise it's a great OS and runs on real hardware already.

Maybe. Turn on legacy boot anyways.

Attached: 1526831208342.png (1680x1050, 282K)

Are you running 64 or 32 bet version?
Last time I tried it, I got some sort of kernel panic.
Perhaps my Skylake CPU is too recent for it.

you only need a browser for all your botnet needs, you can run win95, no one cares

Doesn't work for me.

>Did I miss something there?
Source code. But I'm guessing you don't know how to read that.

>189Mb used
You don't get the right to complain

64-bit on a Core2 Duo laptop and Core2 Quad desktop.

9front is less dead than haiku LMAO

BeOS is literally a toy OS and way deader than plan9

Haiku OS is not BeOS.

it's a fucking reimplementation of beos which was designed to be a toy os..

That's not my screenshot.
Half of my experience is more like picrel.

Attached: IMG_20180702_223012.jpg (3200x2400, 2.58M)

>general use desktop OS
It already has a web browser and a kernel. Is there anything else you need?

I'd like latex distribution, office suite and python.

Is there a cuter operating system? I really don't think there is

Attached: 1518121875789.jpg (400x400, 43K)

windows sucks big dick
I like to own my hardware
Install gentoo fag

Latest attempt at installing the OS.

Attached: IMG_20180703_000507.jpg (3200x2400, 2.28M)

>All it's lacking is *everything*

>it's the weekly Haiku shill thread

It's definitely not the worst thing to shill.

Google Japanese IME has implemented. You can now make a real Lain OS.

Attached: 1525602558358.png (1024x768, 150K)

I kind of get why ReactOS wants to be Windows-compatible. It wouldn't even need to be, it's not like GNU/Linux can't run Windows programs in WINE without having the kernel and drivers and things like that modeled after Windows. But I kind of get that.

But Haiku sticking to ancient BeOS standards for compatibility with BeOS? What's the point? There weren't more than 10 people using BeOS ages ago. There's like 5 programs made specifically for BeOS and nobody's used them in decades. So what's the point?

>for compatibility with BeOS?
64 bit version is not compatible AFAIK.

BeOS has an interesting design and a user-centric philosophy that is worth preserving nowadays.

What's the point of using HaikuOS?
I'm not hating, just wondering.
It has a particular design, but that's just the window manager.
Is there anything interesting in terms of kernel, file system, security, etc.

Everything is object-oriented, so development has an entirely different feel than most operating systems.

TrueOS is great

>Leaving LARPing aside, is there any chance it would actually become passible as a general use desktop OS like various Linux distros?
>linux distros are general use desktop OS'es.
Never.>It already has a web browser and a kernel. Is there anything else you need?
The cancer that killing computing, everybody.

>he thinks Plan9 is dead

OP it's very much alive. Just look at 9front, at Jehanne. The next couple years are going to be great for Plan9

* gets hacked *

nobius.org/dbg/practical-file-system-design.pdf

>linux distros are general use desktop OS'es.
Why don't you agree with this one?
They are ready for most work and entertainment.

BeOS and Haiku are used in some production systems without any issue.

>everything is shilling
Thats why Jow Forums always fall to the reverse-shilling apple threads.

Their monthly report says they are working on proper UEFI support and want to make an actual beta this year that will support both 64 and 32 bet apps, so there's that at least.

Attached: latest.png (720x540, 517K)

If I had a couple of million dollars I would donate them for HaikuOS development.
Also, I would do a public issue calling out Linux for killing good projects.

Everybody knows Apple hate threads are made by actual Apple shills.
You're a retard for falling for all kinds of shilling, this Haiku one being a common one.

>this Haiku one being a common one.
To be fair, I'm honestly interested in the project and have consistently failed to run it properly as seen here and here .

And I am truly curious whether it will be ready some day.

>And I am truly curious whether it will be ready some day.
As a mainstream OS alternative? Nope.

Due to drivers?
There seems to be a lot of software ports right now for pretty much any mainstream activity. For some reason there is no gimp, though, but they have krita.

Drivers are the bane of any operating system project. Software comes next.

Drivers, software, support.
Even Linux has commercial support.

Now, we already have a open source OS with decent enough support (Linux), now you want to find people to support this too? Not going to happen, at least nowhere on the level that you'd consider this OS an alternative to anything mainstream, it still is (and all it will ever be) just a research operating system.

>tfw Open Firmware didn't catch on
Drivers wouldn't be an issue regardless of how niche your OS is

>I've tried openBSD and it feels just like a worse version of a Linux distro
Huh, that's weird because to me, t's better than Linux in literally every single way.

Maybe you should just get a Mac if you want Unix with a pretty GUI and maximum handholding.

Openfirmware was marvelous. Apple could have keep it on their x86 machines instead of that shitty BIOS extension UEFI shit.

How many are actually using distros that are spawned from the commercial systems?
However, I do get your point if you are talking about the kernel.

>Maybe you should just get a Mac
I unironically hate Mac OS X UI/UX.
It's slow, it's unintuitive, it lacks features.

it's no morphos

Truly beautiful :^)

I think they're still too stuck in the beos compatibility mindset. Unless they have some shift and start supporting modern stuff like vulkan, I'm not holding up too much hope.

Hope they iron it out for the beta.

Attached: haiku.png (2572x1063, 190K)

Thx, will fix mpv for you.

You are making ports for it? Why do you guys have krita but not gimp?

Bump to the question.

Yep.
Haiku have Qt but no GTK.
Krita is Qt based while Gimp depends on GTK.

That reduces the scope of possible Software quite a lot.
Thanks!

GTK port is possible, but:
- There is no X11 server
- Even wit X11 it would be alien
- Rootless X11 would be possible but it wouldbe still alien
- GTK without X11 would be ok, but nobody working on it currently. Maybe later.
- Gimp with native Haiku GUI toolkit would be the best. But that needs complete GUI rewrite.

>beos which was designed to be a toy os
spotted the computer history illiterate

It's never gonna become a viable desktop os thanks to the autists* involved in the project.

*: a bunch of them are also suckless.org autists. Source: I lurked both channels.

Well this cease to be a problem with GTK+ >3?

You just need to port GDK and maybe clutter, everything else is free.

>*: a bunch of them are also suckless.org autists
Why is there no St (the best terminal if all time) among the ports? Or at least a reimplementation for haiku?

It would require a huge rewrite of st since it's deeply coupled to X11.

st only exists because the other linux terminals are all xterm copycats with tweaks here and there. this is not the case with haiku.

If you are using 64 bit Haiku, the mpv package was rebuilt today morning, so please, try again.
The recipe have some problems on 32 bit, so that arch doesnt got rebuilt yet.

Thanks, I'm running 64 bit.
I have a small question after visiting forums. How many of the core this are proponents of OS X and systemd?

I'll have to wait until my mirror is up to date, I suppose.

Attached: 2018-07-03-14:59:53-screenshot.png (1286x1063, 197K)

Do a pkgman full-sync in terminal, maybe that will help.

Launch_daemon is something like systemd. It does not try to do everything, but it knows when a disk drive mounted, whennet is up, so it starts the programs when the dependencies are available.
Like it does not try to sync the system time with ntp as long as the net is not online and so on.
If your wallpaper is not on the system disk it will mount the drive and just then starts the desktop.
Or something like that.
But it doesnt interjects and try to do everything.

lol, it says イく

Can you provide me with a comprehensive article that covers everything one needs to create and contribute a package?

Check the wiki at the haikuports github repo.

Considering the software available, it's objectively less useful than FreeDOS.

Holy shit, I can post from Haiku and it has a shitload of actually useful applications now. I might have to install it on actual hardware and spend some time with it.

Attached: screenshot1.png (1920x1200, 227K)

haiku looks comfy desu, wish it could actually be used as a daily driver

It depends, really.
Python version is very old. Not to mention Python 2.7 is the default and the only one visible in software center by default.

Very old, riiiiight.
github.com/haikuports/haikuports/tree/master/dev-lang/python

Sad state of affairs we have here.
FOSS is such a joke.

That's because 2.7 is the standard python version.

Apparently I'm an idiot, because I could swear I've seen only version 3.2.something. my bad.

It's unsupported starting 2020 if I'm not mistaken.
How can that be a "standard" version?

Cause at the beginning python2 was the standard. You can however propose to make p3 as default. It just a matter of renaming/changing some recipes, a sed magic would do the dirty job.

I think I'll be happy to use it once they have LaTeX.

If Perl works under Haiku the same way it does on OS X or a Linux distro there's a chance I could use it full time. I'd probably have to learn how to use vim though. I doubt VS Code or Sublime Text work

Latex is a beast, you know it well. There is a Texluve 2014 recipe, but it needs some love. Are you up to the task?

Try it and create a bugreport at the haikuports page at github if it isnt.

mate, saying 9front isn't more dead than Haiku is a joke
and Haiku actually has enough software that you could attempt to do work on it (you wouldn't succeed, if largely because there's a good chance of your machine crashing at some point while you were in the middle of something)
trying to do actual work on 9front is a non-starter, just doing ordinary programming tasks on it was a bit of a pain, and anything that involved any graphical interface at all was absolutely garbage (which is kinda shameful for a system that was designed as a graphical OS right from the start)

no
Haiku was always going to get shafted. It's too different to make porting X11 or Windows programs easy, its own native APIs are nice, but no one's going to bother, a lot of the software for Haiku is just ancient BeOS stuff. It's POSIX compatible enough that certain small utilities are easy to port, at least.

the big deal about Haiku was the clean interface that's way more nicely designed and integrated than anything you can get on Linux right now (IIRC, Be gave the Haiku team the source for Tracker, the standard BeOS desktop shell) and the cleanly designed Be APIs, which were designed around GUI and multimedia development right from the start.

it's becomiing less and less of a priority as time passes though, largely because of the non x86 ports (like even x86-64)

I've never packaged anything more complex than sc-controller, so unlikely.

Idk what you do but I used Haiku as my daily driver on my Acer D250 back in 2010 for months.

Does it have power management for anything even remotely modern?

Haiku is the comfiest OS ever made. I wish it was actually developed.

fuck you. bsd shill, letmetell you somthin, unlike gnu and linux kernel terms, both openbsd & freebsd both have stable and unified kernels from one repo/source with abstract extframework namely ports. i am a c developer so that hepls i started out with slackware, made the switch 15 yr ago. my only complaint with bsd model is their negotiations with upgrading the ports trees and adding more support for ati and nvidia chips. i personally use amd and ati regardless if you wish to use loonux, go w/ slackware. i am 27 btw.