Manually managing memory

>manually managing memory
>pointers

Attached: 1529162828447.png (593x635, 260K)

C programmers blown the fuck out

>wanting compilers to JUST your shit
lel?

t. brainlet

>existential memory management
>cleans on process exit

Attached: 1526053576164.jpg (604x438, 18K)

>having a garbage collector
>yet it doesn't collect you
truly suffering isn't it OP?

Haha

This is the problem with today's progammers. Back in my uni days, it was fucking brutal. C was the lingua franca and functional programming played a big part too. The dropout rate was high, few people got As, and that was why the people who made it out advanced computing and produced quality software. Nowadays, people have the mentality of everyone can code and colleges start to baby kids. For fucks sake, I even heard someone say that Java is too verbose and that universities should only focus on modern languages like JS. This is why modern software works like shit, has so many damn bugs, and hog up your system. Everyone is a fucking useless code monkey that copies and paste and uses whatever is hip.

My uni started with C it was funny seeing all the roasties and beta orbiters get btfo by really simple concepts, got the highest exam score everytime when the average was 65%
C isn't even hard, muh pointers, coming from fucking VB and Java it was nothing that new, objects are still just memory references in Java, and VB has things passed byVal or byRef

you're fucking a nigger in the deep ocean, you've got no idea what's underneath you

>and VB has things passed byVal or byRef

You know, because functional programming really does involve messing with memory. Garbage collectors are shit and so is any modern basedlanguage like JS.

did they change the wordfilter?

no

onions

Attached: image.jpg (1024x640, 84K)

do you even hate on scala + zing ?

>he cant into memory management
Its not that fucking hard, literally 99% is malloc()'ing shit.

>2018
>using a stack and heap
>not defining your entire program statically

>not using pointers
>not elusively using Non-structured programming languages

Attached: 1522638137039.jpg (870x1000, 111K)

>inserting substring into a string in java
>literally 1 line with StringBuilder
>in C
>have to allocate heap then copy segment by segment like some sort of savage
>then manually free it like it's 1980
>for huge strings C is actually slower than java
Jow Forums masochists will defend this

the OS will collect my garbage when the program exits

>>for huge strings C is actually slower than java
typedef struct {
size_t length;
char chars[];
} string_t;

>muh manual memory management
>excuse me while I just include ALL OF a MALLOC IMPLEMENTATION and all the memory management it does for me behind the scenes.
>oh look, see I just free()'d that memory pointed at ptr. I am such a cool kid with my manual memory management.

C kiddos in a nutshell desu.

please stop this "muh string struct" meme.

if you think that's all you need to make a "string" abstraction in C, you're a moron.

Wrting code in any language is babby tier. Math and theory of computation are the hard subject, that's where literally 80% of the class failed at my uni and that was only 5 years ago.

also
>typedef struct ... string_t

kek

I mmap my own memory in GAS assembly routines

i'd give you a thumbs up emoji but those are filtered.

as long as these C shitters are honest about their use of libc tier shit or not, i'm not gonna complain.

>i love academia!
>brb, gotta suck this professor's dick who has never worked in the field he is teaching

>Math and theory of computation are the hard subject
no, that's babby tier because it's deterministic and solvable
designing program architecture is the hardest subject because it has no right answer and depends on human factors

well done

I'm in bioinformatics, shit I run regularly requires more than a terabyte of RAM and hundreds of thousands CPU hours.

Every little bit of performance I can squeeze in adds up to huge gains.

have you heard of paging

Attached: 1528480307607.jpg (500x332, 35K)

>have you heard of slowing down your CPU-intensive algorithms even more
rings a bell

good grief you know nothing about this do you.
How long do you think it takes to read a 1tb dataset from an ssd anyway?

>This is why modern software works like shit, has so many damn bugs, and hog up your system
Its actually because of faster development, which in turn (most of the time, especially for small-midsize companies) generates more revenue. The needs of the market are being met with just the right amount of education.

>For fucks sake, I even heard someone say that Java is too verbose and that universities should only focus on modern languages like JS. This is why modern software works like shit, has so many damn bugs
What people are taught to use (not their choice) is not the same as what they decide (or have to) use later on in life. If people pick a poor language for the job, it is because they never cared in the first place.

Enough to render the trade-off we've made efficently squeezing our gigantic graphs into a couple of terabytes to allow lowering the computational load by two orders of magnitude largely pointless.

Quit using buzzwords and just describe your issue like a normal person

I allocate 1gb at start and then just manage that.

You're retarded, there were no buzzwords in that post kill yourself

>This is why modern software works like shit, has so many damn bugs, and hog up your system. Everyone is a fucking useless code monkey that copies and paste and uses whatever is hip.
It's a tradeoff between programmer efficiency, and program efficiency.
Some time ago, people said that to be able to program well, you need to "think like a computer would", but now all these modern languages enable you to shit out a program without needing to do that. And the effects of that are exactly what you said.

Attached: FcHHbWykfxTk54tj.large.jpg (800x600, 84K)

>strings
>buffers
>function takes buffer size in bytes including null terminator
>function takes buffer size in bytes not including null terminator
>have to remember to allocate space for the null terminator
>function allocates space for the null terminator automatically
>function returns a buffer that is null terminated
>function returns a buffer that is not null terminated
>function returns number of characters written including null terminator
>function returns number of characters written not including null terminator
>introduce wchar_t or unicode
>now have to think about whether every instance of a char is really a byte char or a character char

Attached: 316.jpg (680x680, 22K)

>raw pointers instead of owning references

Attached: 1424066337167.png (500x470, 4K)

>he found another way to whine about women

wht does fucking a black person underwater have to do with anything itt?

That supposed to be some original old-style BASIC thread?