Name the times when you actually used, or need more than 16gb of RAM

Name the times when you actually used, or need more than 16gb of RAM.

Attached: chuck.png (475x675, 290K)

Playing a video game without closing a web browser.

virtualization

a virtual machine

VMware.

Multiple tabs of /tv/ while Sneedposting

W10 update?

Every time I composite with multiple layers in 4k video editing

Using firefox.

what's the point of virtual machines? just use jails.

[spoiler]sneed[/spoiler]

this

Name the times when the posters forcing this unfunny stupid shit were more than 16 years old.

>have Photoshop, inDesign as well as Illustartor running
>have a couple of tabs open in the browser

That's usually already enough to push it.
If you have a couple of windows in explorer open as well as an office application or something you can easily max it out.

I've never needed more than 2gb of ram. Anyone who thinks they do are just trying to compensate for their small penis

t. BWC owner

Attached: maki.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

cringe
based

I do testing and validation for a number of major OEMs in the automotive industry. I can tell you for a fact, I push the 32 GB in my workstation almost every single day. most of Jow Forums has absolutely no practical knowledge or experience to base their posts on, and it's quite evident with these retarded bait threads

17:29

Photogrammetry

I literally can't name a time I needed more than 5gb, not even trolling.

wtf are you doing? I've had up to 30 tabs and firefox used ~1GB.

VMs and Electron-based software

Opening a picture of your mom

kek

Ran a complex SQL query over a couple billion rows. Ate 64GB like it was nothing then thrashed disk for five minutes before delivering a couple MB of result records.

Usually I do these kinds of queries on my own workstation, not the actual database server, but in this case I wasn't pulling down 200GB of data for one query. My personal workstation has 16GB in it so idk how often I would exceed 16GB on it. I hit cap quite often thought on larger sets.

Video editing.

Explain further

the software i work on is a large constrained numerical optimizer. it consumes about 70GB in production. i need 64GB on my dev machine to run non-trivial tests and benchmarks.

for my thesis I studied graph algorithms. there are 2TB graph datasets in the public domain (and petabytes in industry). it is fucking easy to consume 256GB of RAM when you're trying to crawl a 2TB random-access data set

>70GB
the fuck

is it written in electron?

using photoshop to make graphics larger than 12K resolution

not based

Attached: 1527234133636.jpg (680x543, 39K)

okay this is epic.

matrices are large

let's say you want to record pairwise similarities between objects. let's say each similarity is an 8-byte double. if you have 100,000 objects, that's 74GB of pure data. it is easy to use memory when your job involves software like this.

Playing video games that weren't made before 2007
Having more tabs open
That's basically it.

interesting

Name the times(other than actual work) when you actually needed more than 8gb of RAM.

to open visual studio

>he doesn't have 12gb vram

This is just me playing Quake and having a web browser with 3 tabs open

Go into the 20s easily if I start actually doing anything

Attached: Untitled.png (988x928, 43K)

>obviously lying
i can do exactly that with 6gb

ok I guess Word is open on another desktop and I'd forgotten about it

Attached: Untitled.png (988x1410, 105K)

essentially this

i've got 8 and i never ever used more than 4

Quake - 4gb, Chrome - 1.5gb
total that you actually need - 5.5gb
lets round up to 8gb

>up to 30 tabs
>only 30 tabs
what a pleb

about 30 tabs of photos.google.com in firefox
discord in a browser
discord app
spotify running
steam downloading a game

Attached: Screenshot_20180702_235003.png (1022x1161, 189K)

using 7z or handbrake on high settings

ok the steam download had finished and i didnt realise

Attached: Screenshot_20180702_235422.png (1022x1161, 175K)

>Quake - 4gb

Shit mang, I used to run Quake on 16mb

What kind of poorfag runs no OS and no other software in the background?
I bet you use shit like GAME BOOSTER SOFTWARE or ccleaner to keep your machine in tip top shape, fuckin poorfag

XCOM 2 with multiple mods. Had terrible memory leak when using more than 6 voice packs and forces you to empty priority 0 standby list every 5-10 minutes, otherwise it starts using the pagefile.

no i dont need to because i dont run windows

any after effects project, daily

relax faggot

Starting all of the "microservices" that my company's outsourced team have developed for our "new platform".
Replacing our LEMP stack that ran happily on servers with 2G, now requires at least 12.
Thanks MSSQL and Java!

Zzzzzzzzzzz-zzzzzzzzzzzzzwz

compiling qtwebengine with ccache

I'm gonna guess you aren't running quantum

Attached: screenFetch-2018-07-02_16-43-33.png (1920x1080, 54K)

The only thing I need to enable my workstation to use more than 1 operating system at a time, is more RAM.

We can be one step closer to low memory machines when the Solaris Zone, FreeBSD Jail, Linux Container, etc. - concept is standardized across all systems, without itself using a bunch of memory.
I feel like we're close to that, there's a few fighting for de-facto standard.

fight me

Attached: Settings_2018-07-02_16-34-58.png (468x77, 4K)

Host a Minecraft server and play ( ~6-8GB cause I have like 100-200 mods), M$ Windows, Firefox.
BTW on my raspberry I need 50MB

>Open VS Code
>Open Git client
>Initialize DB
>Open DB client
>Initialize local server
>Open browser
>Open Postman
I may not need 16GB to do that, but my 8GB definitely isn't the ideal.

Daily. I do VPS, VPN, and shell hosting, and my main server where the top tier accounts go uses about 46GB of 64GB on the regular.

Either you're playing some really buggy games with memory leak issues like Watch Dogs and have over 100 tabs open in Google chrome, or you're full of it.

Quit being buttmad that you got caught lying, Jordan. Fuck. Just chill the fuck out and stop being such a sperg.

Where's the lie? Do the math nigger.

It needs a lot of RAM if you're going to make anything that isn't dogshit because you need hundreds of pictures extremely high-quality pictures in memory at once

GIS software with high res imagery.

Working with large arrays of data. I frequently hit the 8GB limit of my machine and could absolutely use 16GB

I always use all the RAM I have, one way or another :-)

Playing games with over 6000 mods

Editing video, browsing the interne, and running a VM will use 16 gigs easy.

You've obviously never played a Unreal 4 engine game...

The very one, yes.

Compiling SJWfox with Rust

>open VS

Training a deep NN.

VirtualBox, Visual Studio, IDA, Firefox.
At the same time, several instances of all. Couldn't start a second VM because ran out of RAM

I'll be damned. Once you add up all the tiny shit, it really does account for the other 6-7GB because it says 23% in use, and the 63.8GB RAM available to the system, 14.7 (rounding up) really is 23%. Wow. Windows is fucking bloated.

Cities Skylines with a shit ton of mods

Minecraft!

Did Jew companies just make up hardware specifications, whereas every hardware is infinite (hard drives, ram, CPU), just there's something written inside them that says it "has" that much GB and that much GHz, and games just detect what it says in the hardware and purposefully run worse if it doesn't match the statistics.

If Quake used to run on 16MB and now runs on 4GB, there is no way this isn't just Jewish trickery. All hardware is infinite, from old to new, now we just gotta figure out how to remove the limits lads. Fuck planned obsolescence.

Using firefox

Dont use chrome, use EDGE!

Pretty much everything outside of purely consuming content

in ascii

Have you ever left SSMS running for more than 2 hours?

>couple intellij windows on separate repos
>couple micro or monolith services running locally for development
>slack, skype, and outlook for corporate comms
>a dozen or so tabs

That'll do it. I'm usually running around 13GB on my work laptop on a day-to-day basis, so 12GB wouldn't cut it and it also wouldn't be true DDR. 16GB is the bare minimum that makes sense.

Machine learning. Even my GPU is not miles from 16GB at this point.

Remember that photoshoot with your mom performing lots of unnatural sex acts with midgets and farm animals? We needed to shoot them from way back (because she's such a fat heifer) at hundreds of megapixels (for details). We needed 32GB for post.

These

calm your tits faggot

Attached: 1529862123013.jpg (391x447, 37K)

these

Attached: 1529113411680.png (293x270, 41K)

i needed to allocate 598GB of ram for a large receptor complex simulation

alas, i did not get the job done that day : (

Page file on 1TB NVMe SSD should help you along.

Artfagging. Hardware limitations is pain. Sometimes it's just plain easier to use paper and pencils to get good results.

literally every day

Processing terrain and water data. Could use 16g more.

Unity games.

Framerate in Skylines is dismal even with a beefy GPU and it's because you don't have enough RAM.

Attached: 20171109200055_1.jpg (1920x1080, 578K)