WebUSB

What a great idea.

developers.google.com/web/updates/2016/03/access-usb-devices-on-the-web
wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/WebUSB

Attached: connect-usb-to-internet-using-webusb-api.png (915x579, 527K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cvedetails.com/vendor/12113/Nodejs.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-system_effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Kek what could possibly go wrong?

any number of things, but that doesn't mean this isn't a cool technology, that shouldn't be researched or explored

But it already is in browsers for the normies. So far, depending on hardware to keep things secure has not been completely successful.

I can already see the Arduino Micros and USB Rubber duckies fuckin' up computers

I don't think i really understand what you're trying to say. I haven't really looked to into this, but what I understand from what I looked into real quick is that they're trying to develop a standard API for USB devices to make using external hardware simpler in web applications. nothing about the hardware would need to change if a standardized API is created that supports a number of different USB hardware devices

>What a great idea.
what's great?
from cuckzilla:
>WebUSB provides a way for USB device drivers to be implemented in pure JavaScript.
and the story writes itself
>pajeetscript dev realises he can't into kernel module development
>how 'bout moving your browser to kernel space, kind sir?
>I can now shit on your kernel and your h/w with memcopy.

story of js and pajeet devs.
>one day, I started programming buttons on webpages
>a decade later, when I got tired of being a button programmer I decided to move lower
>I wanted to be a backend dev... but I only knew pajeetscript
>So I put a browser into the backend.
>Now I am a backend developer
>A decade later, when I got tierd of being a backend developer, I decided to move even lower
>I wanted to be a module developer... but I still know only pajeetscript
>So I put a browser into the backend.

you can get some ideas from here.
cvedetails.com/vendor/12113/Nodejs.html

>>So I put a browser into the backend.
yea I don't think thats really how it would end up working, on what basis are you making all of these conjectures?

Anons seem to think this is like nodejs running in a kernel. It's not. It's called "WebUSB"
> Web

What prevents someone from exploiting the processor, USB controller, etc from accessing other devices? The hardware and the kernel of the OS. How successful was Intel, etc at maintaining privileged access? This is not some program you have to install on your computer or a driver you have to install. It could just run in a webpage without you knowing.

It was a rhetorical question. Also, this isn't about nodejs. This is about going to a website and being able to plug in your Arduino, whatever and the website controls your device. This is not about writing a kernel in js. A horrible idea nonetheless.

>what would prevent exploiting
The browser, duh. Just like your browser asking to access your microphone and camera, it would ask if it could get/give access to a usb device, then you can allow or block that.

> newfag
Take an operating systems class and a security class. You will find you cannot just stop attacks. Security guys aren't paid to make apis hack proof. You reduce the attack surface and protect by layers of abstraction. And you NEVER assume that you won't be hacked. You assume the opposite. WebUSB is, by definition, not abstracted. If any hardware bug is discovered, it doesn't matter shit what the browser filters out unless they disable the API all together. WebUSB will be hacked. It's not a matter of if but when.

The first time that's basically how it works. The second time he clearly meant "put a browser in the kernel".

> Google

N-no, thanks...

To add on the browser doesn't give access to your camera. It sends the video from the camera. The browser doesn't access your camera either. That is the kernel who controls the camera with a DRIVER. Same with mic. Same with keyboard. Etc etc. Browser talking directly to hardware is a brainlet idea.

Actually it does sound like a good idea

100% useless and stupid.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-system_effect

> mfw brainlet
Explain what you mean

>running binaries from the internet is dangerous
>so now we allow any website to easily take control of your USB devices, isn't that great?
What the fuck is this retardation?

Attached: 1513210137542.png (851x517, 83K)

Exactly my point

i fucking HATE usb wifi adapters, they crash every pc i plug them in to, those things should be illegal, since a PC has an ethernet port it would be better to buy a cheap router and configure it as a client or bridge

>The Web is built to contain malfunctioning websites.
More like The Web is built to contain malware websites.

and thats assuming USB doesnt have some DMA or something to take control of your entire machine. I've actually used a chromium to flash a usb2go device before and it was traumatic.

>implying usb wifi adapters was made for PeeCee
No

>Not installing your $59.95 Jow Forums platinum dongle in your Firefox browser for unlimited hiroshimoot pass
fucking oldfag boomers

Nice shitpost, but I can already see companies unironically using this garbage for DRM.

then what were they made for?

laptops usually have built in wifi, and since most LANs in both homes and offices are using wifi, but lots of desktop PCs both old and new dont include a wifi adapter

since most PCs dont have built in wifi i bought a USB wifi adapter, and my PC would randomly lock up hard requiring a press on the reset button because the mouse & keyboard was unresponsive, removed the USB wifi adapter and the problem went away, now i am using a router plugged in to the ethernet as a client/bridge

anyone else have their desktop PC crash with usb wifi adapters?

>usb devices on the web
>literally a "PrintServer++"

I'll stick to my raspberry pi for my device needs, thanks.

What were they made for?