MySQL

Attached: 11-drake-hotline-bling.w710.h473.2x.jpg (1420x946, 56K)

database.csv

Attached: drake.jpg (800x450, 132K)

>2018
>sql

This is literally my workplace. Boss created an excel sheet for tracking clients back in the 90s. We STILL use it despite having 6 times as many clients now as we did then. The absolute worse thing about it is that we have people who don't know how to use the sheet and constantly mess it up to a point where we regularly need to spend hours fixing the data.

Boss says there's no way we're losing the sheet. I've given my boss dozens of ideas on how we can still use the sheet but avoid the constant error fixing we need to do. Make it read-only, perform regular backups, create a work policy where only certain employees are allowed to edit the data, etc... Nope. Boss has decided the best course of action is to bitch about how mistakes are costing us time and money and "why don't you people understand this??".

what's the best alternative for MySQL?

If you haven't done so already, document his refusal to upgrade in email. Start prototyping a database in virtualbox/vmware using an old backup.
After that, wait until it breaks a second time, but sit on the repair for just long enough for HIS boss to start asking questions.
Present your prototype to his boss as a solution. if he asks why this isn't already a thing, present the documented refusal to upgrade and let the business take its course. Otherwise, let it go. You'll be lauded as a genius anyway.

>MySQL
PostgreSQL

>t- Has never worked a real job

>for HIS boss to start asking questions.
He's the sole owner unfortunately. Inherited the business from his dad and has never had any formal business schooling and isn't the greatest with technology. He's a great guy to work with but definitely a people person. When it comes to anything besides pleasing clients his decisions are questionable. I've decided it's best to just accept that he's human and if the business goes under from his poor management I can find other employment.

PostgreSQL or MariaDB.
Alternativelly, MongoDB for NoSQL.

>what's the best alternative for MySQL?
I've read good things about PostreSQL. MariaDB is pretty much the same as MySQL in terms of syntax and quirks, but has some newer features such as columnwise compression which should really reduce the read times and size of tables with tens of millions of rows and similar repeatable values (such as foreign keys).

You can use SQLite for embedded or application-level stuff.

postgresql comfy nicca

friendly reminder that utf8 encoding in MySQL and MariaDB is not a real compliant UTF-8 and you should use utf8mb4

Your boss sounds like as much of a retard as mine. Let me guess, he's about 55-60 years old.

are JDBC and JPA used by companies?

SQL IS RUINING MY FUCKING LIFE RIGHT NOW

NoSQL

Attached: 1530571473333.jpg (1420x946, 57K)

is that a good thing?

What do you use?

I use SQL Server but I cant just sit down and learn Databases and SQL I just procrastinate. help me

data.txt

Attached: Capture+_2018-07-03-13-27-48.png (654x546, 308K)

Cassandra

just convince him to use access, same shit as Excel but with actual database functionality, and it's under the Microsoft umbrella so he'll be able to trust it easy

>Make it read-only, perform regular backups, create a work policy where only certain employees are allowed to edit the data, etc... Nope
Your boss doesn't seem to understand people. You need a better boss.

>MongoDB for NoSQL
Unless you have very specific needs and know it, you should not go with MongoDB. You WILL end up simulating joins in your application like it's 1978. If you just can't stomach SQL, use a graph database or something.

Depends on your use case

I don't know what wonderland you live in but if I pulled that shit off (not OP bt.w) I'd lose all respect from everyone and create my own little hell

honestly i think of more people saw how easy MySQLWorkbench is, a lot of boomer idiots would be less afraid of MySQL databases.

you can virtually use it just like excel. except you have to actually write your INSERT equations to fill a column instead of gay-tier “dragging”. otherwise if youre just inserting data manually into a few cells in, MySQL workbench, it feels just like excel

memory.brain

Attached: bYGSylz.jpg (476x501, 20K)

Learn with SQLite.

/dev/null

Attached: 1529777576207.jpg (259x400, 31K)

It's a shame Excel won this market and not something more programmer-friendly like Hypercard.

>MongoDB
CouchDB

love me some postgres

>customers.xls
>customers_REAL.xls
>customers_AAA_USE_THIS.xls
>customers_JULY_2018.xls
>customers_backup.xls

>typing commands
You lost the 8 to 70 year old boomers already

Think of it like this:
>boss don't give a fuck
>boss' boss ain't never gave a fuck
>boss' boss' boss in a yatch in search of a single fuck on another matter
You're literally not meant to care. Your not being paid to care, you're being paid to ducktape bad shit until it literally catches on fire.
Stop caring.

CouchDB is utter shit. works good during development but when you get even a few gigs of data into it it’s horrible. doesn’t scale or perform well

this you would litteraly make a war for less shit people are fighting and making intringes in corporartions.
i second to this

Do people actually use NoSQL databases in production? I thought they were just a ten-year-old reddit meme like Ruby on Rails

>Do people actually use NoSQL databases in production?
Yes. Lots of people who really would be better off using a relational database

I guess I should have specified "sane people"

there are no sane programmers dum dum

/thread

Just turned 60!

CLIENT_LIST4.xls actually. You can guess what the 4 stands for. Numbers 1, 2, and 3 got so fucked up we made a new list from scratch. That takes two people about a day and a half.

Posting from work now. Here's an example of one of our sheets. This is to remind people to not save over our template sheet. I've explained that we can make the template sheet read only but boss doesn't like the "error" you get if you try to save over a read only file. I guess he prefers constantly fixing the template.

Attached: mylife.png (1920x1041, 74K)

Hello, user. I hope you are managing your stress in a safe, responsible way. Alcoholism and other forms of substance abuse can sneak up on you

>That takes two people about a day and a half.
Your boss is truly a retard. My condolences.

I've chosen masturbation as my vice of choice. I used to drink a lot but it's expensive and people started noticing and making comments. I've also seen people in my family die from it and it's not a good way to go.

He's a great guy. Probably the best boss I've ever had. He just makes some really dumb decisions sometimes. Like Michael Scott but but instead of pulling pranks he asks for advice on something and then completely ignores it all and does his own retarded version of it.

dohoho

PostgreSQL, SQL Server (express is free), Sybase.

If you are in 's shoes just use SQLite. It's pretty much the most flexible DB ever.

The right tool for the right job.
There's nothing wrong with relational databases, but applying them to every problem is just incorrect.

>not making your own, stable binary format that's suited to how you use the data.

solution: delete the spreadsheets and all the backups using someone's credentials.

SQLite is pretty amazing, but it has one annoying flaw, and it isn't concurrency (althrough that IS a flaw): It really only supports basic, ancient SQL features.
Stuff like Common Table Expressions, window functions or lateral joins make it so trivial to express many queries that are either impossible or unreadable and difficult to write without them.
Even MySQL supports CTEs and window functions now.
Even. Fucking. MySQL.

>not just writing a quick vba script to update your retarded sheet and keep people from contantly breaking it

Go be pajeet elsewhere, you shitty drain

I don't think SQLite is meant to be a production-ready database, it's more like a prototyping tool. At least that's the way we use it at my job

I think the best way to think about it is fopen on steroids.
Instead of having to do some stupid csv bullshit or json or whatever, you have the full power of a relational database at your hands without having to install My or Postgres. Better yet, you can use it as a database in programs on customers' operating systems without needing to bundle any database or require them to set one up - all you need to do is include the amalgamated .h file and BAM, database.
Seriously, SQLite is amazing, but its SQL support needs work.

I refuse to accept this is real.

>SQLite is used by literally millions of applications with literally billions and billions of deployments. SQLite is the most widely deployed database engine in the world today.
>SQLite is probably one of the top five most deployed software modules of any description.
>Airbus confirms that SQLite is being used in the flight software for the A350 XWB family of aircraft.
SQLite is a meme hobbyist project, Hipp literally hacked it in single week during his grad years because some database server he was using had constant connectivity issues.

PostgreSQL or OracleDB

But if u only need for literally store some data and nothing else then MariaDB

Agree with all points. I suggested because if your data is a mess using bigger dbms sounds kind of stupid. I'm in a similar situation right now and the only reason I'm using SQL Server is because the client actually wants us to redo the persistence layer as we go. Otherwise I would just use SQLite.

>OracleDB
Pls no. Use Sybase or SQL Server instead.

>using someone's credentials.
Our computers only have one user, the owner's name, and the computers aren't password protected.

My boss is really proud of all this. In the book is a sheet named "START" which has a bunch of cells that are highlighted and labeled, "CLIENTS NAME", "CLIENTS ADDRESS", etc...
The other sheets contain our contracts, statements, invoices which will pull data from these cells on the START sheet. When I first started my boss showed me all this and very proudly told me he did it all himself with no help.

When adding certain items to our contracts we have a sheet that contains a listing of commonly sold products with their prices. At the time he showed me that you had to "go to spot on the contract you're adding the product to, press equals, then go to the tab that has the inventory list and select the product you want. Now you have to do the same thing for the price". I created a dropdown menu for the products and used the VLOOKUP formula to pull the price and populate it on the contract. His mind was blown. "This opens so many doors" was what he told me.

Go to a local college and sit through lectures

>Our computers only have one user, the owner's name, and the computers aren't password protected.
nice
then delete it and just claim systemic hardware failure or even scary Jow Forums hackers.

really would make the biz think, or possibly just nuke it outright. both are win-win's.