HN Censorship

How do we solve the HN problem?
These spineless eunuchs are steering our industry and squashing any dissent. Dang and team openly brag about how great of a place HN is for discussion because of the quality moderation and the karma system. Meanwhile anything critical of their sponsored startups gets removed.

I'm sick of watching this industry crawl deeper and deeper up its own asshole every day. I just want these people to understand that there IS a massive amount of dissent against what they are doing and maybe reach some non-true believers. Obviously I can't do that with a new account from behind a VPN (pic related). Do I just need a few good boy points before posting or what?

Attached: Screenshot_20180702-174005.png (1080x1920, 340K)

>2018
>looking at HN
there is your mistake

start your own publication if it bothers you so much

anything with vote based moderation is shit

> we are hiring for attitude

Attached: sjw.jpg (550x545, 33K)

Do I start my own Facebook to communicate with family/normies too?

If you so vehemently disagree with Facebook's operation, then yes

So then a century ago, I'd just have to start my own oil company, right?

idiot

Tell me more.

That website isn't Jow Forums, why do you care?
Do you have some sort of agenda?

you don't use HN to communicate with family.

replacing facebook is hard because you have to convince everyone you talk to to switch, because that's why you use it in the first place

but hn and similar sites are replaceable, because all you care about are warm bodies posting pseudonymous bullshit and you don't even have to talk about it with anyone you know

unfortunately i'm not sure if the media/startup wheel-reinvention syndrome can be corrected

Everyone at my FAANG job reads it daily, including the people who make decisions.

But you don't work at Jow Forums, do you?

at my company we silently mouth the word "nigger" at you during the interview, and if you don't respond back by saying nigger we don't hire you.

I understand you think quitting hacker news means you'll miss out on good conversation, possibly the best, in the tech scene. You hunk about some of the cool stuff you learned there that you just couldn't pick up anywhere else. You're feeling the FOMO and you got it bad at the mere thought of walking away. I felt that too. Then in 2013 I stopped going. Matter of fact, I quit going on the internet period for almost 3 years. During that time gamergate happened, social justice achieved prominence, we gained 300 genders, JavaScript frameworks came and went and on and on. I didn't hear or see any of it. Learned about it all after the fact. And you know what? I DIDNT MISS A DAMN THING. It's 99.999 percent drivel and for the 3 or 4 things in a year that actually do matter, they'll bubble to the top of your awareness somehow. I only come here occasionally for tech related. The rest of the time I'm busy with my head down making money writing software. Matter of fact, I make more since I don't waste time. You will too.

Thanks for the advice, I've already did what you described with news. Don't have social media. For HN I use an RSS feed that only contains stories with 250+ upboats. I briefly skim comments instead of reading entire threads like I used to.

I think your approach might be better. I need to quit this shit entirely. It only feels productive and occasionally makes me angry. In reality, it's intellectual masturbation. It's a trap much like the self help industry. I already have a ton of links bookmarked to "read later" and don't need to find more.

HN is mostly posers. I got a few thousand karma there posting random bullshit that I typed out that the hivemind agreed with or wanted to believe. Anybody actually useful is not wasting their time with that shit. There are a few quality posters that drop in and drop godly advice but they are few and far between. Seriously look at the Show HN threads or Ask HN threads and most are basic shit like "babby's first nodejs app", or "how do I raise my wife's son right?". Any site with a persistent reputation or vote based content system with severe moderation is guaranteed to be total shit filled with group think and completely insincere discussion. Jow Forums is a prototype of an anonymous model with severe flaws that could be easily addressed but the format allows for honest discussions in a context where nobody can fault you for your reputation and the number of replies determines the relevancy of your post instead of votes. I have had better discussion on this site than anywhere else which is actually pretty sad.

i came to Jow Forums because hacker news hasn't had any tech-relevant content in years, it's all reposts from the new york times and bloomberg

i got more information in Jow Forums than in HN.