Trying to learn programming

>Trying to learn programming
>Get confused by all the different libraries, languages, technologies, etc

>tfw 23 year old boomer

What the hell. Why cant there just be like 5 languages everyone uses.

Attached: 1530572842154.jpg (306x231, 18K)

Focus on one area/language until you get over your fear

There are:
1. C
2. C++
3. Java
4. JavaScript
5. Python

Im worried im not using the optimal language.

Who gives a fuck? You're learning

Just learn one popular language and don't use any frameworks. Only use simple libraries, like numpy or qt or something like that.

Im scared of wasting time on something useless. I want to get a job eventually.

Okay and then what? When do I move to making complex programs using advanced libraries and maybe even make my own libraries?

No you're not, you're just procrastinating because you're a lazy sack of shit.

Please do everyone a favor and don't bother. We don't need any more fucking idiots like you in our workplaces.

The languages themselves are all somewhat similar. Just learn java, you can get a jo with it.

You're right. Let's create a new programming language and push it as the standard.

You can't waste time if you're learning.

Then listen to Jow Forums and go read SICP.

It'll teach you to be a general programmer rather than a monkey tied to a specific language chain.

Jow Forums is going to shit on any language that you choose. Do yourself a favor and pick a language, stop coming here for a few months, and you'll be fine.

x86 assembly for x86 machines
arm assembly for arm machines
shell script for everything

Please I just want to learn.

I think I will. Should I focus on making crappy apps?

> Do yourself a favor and pick a language, stop coming here for a few months, and you'll be fine.

Thank you ill do this too

You should make a distinction between libraries and frameworks which use more than code. Something like Spring framework can be confusing at first, because you have those xml files and you have to set everything up and so on. Only use libraries, that only use the actual programming language at first. They can have complex functionality, but they will usually feel similar to working with your langauge's standard library.

Creating a library is not that hard, you just export the code that you have. Creating a .dll that others can use as a library is not much different from creating an executable.

When you feel completely fine writing normal code, you should explore other things. Frameworks like Spring, tools like git, Maven, countinous intergration and so on, but first learn a language and become decent at it.

Every language has pros and cons. There is no optimal.

this
learn JavaScript for front-end/web design
C/C++ or Python for back-end
Java if you want to
Except for python they all share the same core C language syntax also, so double whammy they should all feel familiar

Replace java with C# and it's ok

With the exception of Common Lisp, sure.

Thank you. I got okay at Python by doing those practice problems on different sites all day but got bored since I was unsure how to move onto making something actually useful.

>I think I will. Should I focus on making crappy apps?
First you should learn most of the important language features. Arithmetic operators, logic operators, classe, difference between classes and objects, loops and so on. Learn using some basic recursion in Java, learn about threads, some simple gui programming, learn how to write a file and how to write to an sql database, how to use a tcp socket and so on.

You should be able to understand everything in a decent java book or a good video tutorial about pure java. It doesn't matter much what you are actually programming at first.

you forgot PHP, you dingus

> I got okay at Python by doing those practice problems on different sites all day but got bored since I was unsure how to move onto making something actually useful.

Because you don't know how to code it, or because you don't have an idea for an app? If you find a job, they will give you tasks, you don't have to have super creative ideas for new apps, you only have to be able to code most things given an idea or some plan for an app.

>C/C++ or Python for back-end
never ever take advice from /gee/

Attached: 1494184555288.jpg (460x349, 19K)

Programming is arguably the hardest math science.

C will save you

Most computer programming languages use the same fundamental concepts with slight variations. If you learn how to work with one language really well, it will be much easier to learn the others. I'd recommend starting with either JavaScript or C, and possibly doing an online course if you're self-teaching. CS50x is developed by Harvard University and is available for free--highly recommended. Consider a coding bootcamp if you want something with a focus on the standard practices for the field you're jumping into--it may cost a few k but you'll be saving a lot of time if you don't half ass the coursework.

I wanted to make interesting projects and put them on github so I could use that to get a job but then I got demotivated knowing if I could do it it's already been done and much better by some company.

Surely I can't just apply when they ask for years of experience?

>C/C++ or Python
>or Python
>webshit
you're fucking a nigger in the deep ocean, you have no idea what's beneath you

yeah man us webshitters have it really hard, like i swear angular is harder to figure out than algebraic geometry amirite??

post "no brainlets allowed" languages

Common Lisp
Erlang
Idris
OCaml
Prolog

please be trolling
I pay the bills comfortably in a high-tax state doing a job requiring little more than markup, basic arithmetic and simple boolean algrebra.

>post “no jobs allowed” languages

Neet languages*

/thread

Forth
SML
Haskell
Scheme

The same reason there can't be 5 tools people across all trades use.

ideally you're on the street when the recession hits

Don't take advice from the following neets:

The important part you need to learn is how to make your brain create solutions for you.
The whole "i want to do a function that do X,Y and Z, with the features i have in hand" and you actually have the function in the end.
That's a LOT more important than learning a specific language, and if you keep jumping like a french frog on the frying pan, you will never get it.

Just stay on the one you find the easiest until you have the skill.

>Surely I can't just apply when they ask for years of experience?
that's where you're wrong. you just need to argue that you have the skills they're looking for and the portfolio to back up your claims. Don't worry about originality at this stage either, just show that you have the understanding to perform the kind of coding they're looking for (and if you don't know everything in their "required" field, research those things, tell them you're a quick learner and give examples of how you've dabbled with similar concepts before).

fat chance :p

So even if they want years of experience I should apply anyway once I feel im ready?

>neet

>No employment
I have a job
>No education
How is learning advanced programming languages a lack of education?
>No gf

Got me there. Go learn Java before it's too late. We all know Pajeet is drowning in that spicy curry.

It depends on many factors, especially how many companies are looking for programmers in your region. Also any kind of degree helps, even if it's not related to computer science.
I can't know if learning programming is the best career path for you.
I am still pretty confident, that if you want to learn programming, my tips are relatively solid, searching for the perfect language for years certainly won't help.

You will never be able to create better products, than a company. At some point programming is simply about doing very similar things a million times, 10 half skilled people will be able to do much more work, than one very good programmer. The only exception are highly specialized things.

yeah--the "required" section is really their concept of the ideal candidate. Think of how many companies offer non-senior developer positions while asking for 3-5 years experience--it'd be ludicrous to expect all of them actually finding candidates like that.

Things your doing wrong:

1. Trying to learn multiple languages at once

2. Learning programming because you want to be a "software engineer xD" and earn the big shekels

3. Not having a fucking thing in your head that you want to actually make and then teaching yourself how to make that thing by teaching yourself the language required to make that thing.

You'll be mediocre forever, coming from a 22 yr old boomer just learning Java because i have an idea and im not an unimaginative cuck who only cares about being tied to a cube doing code tricks for real alphas who started school when they were 18. And yes, im projecting.

Attached: 1519628515218.jpg (1023x683, 82K)

(cont) and don't get discouraged if you apply to ten places and don't hear back. You need to apply to like 5 places a week--eventually you will hear from people who are interested. You will also have interviews that don't go well--that's expected, everyone does, and you will learn from those what you need to do next time. Keep applying, seek out those interviews, and eventually you will get offers. But you need to be patient--keep coding, keep applying.

Ill try my best. Thank you ill keep working at it.

Guess I have nothing to lose if I look at it that way thank you user

so you write code as a sex fetish?

I really hate this shitty meme.

One language to rule them all

>listening to Jow Forums memes
Oh you poor innocent soul

>learning Java because i have an idea
Did you figure you have to poo in the loo?

>just learning Java
POO

>No you're not, you're just procrastinating because you're a lazy sack of shit.
no, he just wants to learn a language and isn't sure which one

>t. Poo in the loo

learning a good language is nearly the last thing on the list of importance
if what you're learning is fun, then you'll get into it, and learning better things will come easier

I unironically think fun is the most important part for the very first thing you learn

Most valuable object-oriented languages are based on C++. Once you learn that (or Java) it's pretty easy to figure the others out.

>t. microcuck

OP LEARN ERLANG

DOITFAGGOT

Elixir
Clojure

>Im worried im not using the optimal language.
Doesn't matter. Unless you're a brainlet 1x developer, you should find it pretty easy to learn new languages once you're comfortable with 1 language. If you're worried that you might be a brainlet who can only learn 1 language so you want to learn the 1 language where you can guarantee yourself a job, try C# or Java.

>t. Pajeet

>5 languages everyone uses.
C
Java
C#
JavaScript
SQL

Those are the only 5 languages you'll need for a career as a programmer.

>Trying to learn programming
Learning to write a program and learning a programming language are 2 very different things. Don't conflate the 2. Of course at first you are learning the language and the programming at the same time. But you should be concentrating on the ideas and structures, not on the syntax. You can carry ideas over to any language. Learning a new language's syntax should only take a few days at the most.

>you forgot PHP, you dingus
I wish I could

t. mathlet

indeed

Attached: 1489119620674.png (854x853, 750K)

unironically read SICP

not for brainlet

anything lighter?

JEW detected