That said the current issue is the result of weeks of research...

That said the current issue is the result of weeks of research, over a dozen talks with sources inside the involved companies, at competitors, suppliers, and in upstream and downstream industries. All pointed to the exact same problem and result, there is no ambiguity on this one among our sources. A massive $20+ billion market cap tech giant bet everything on Intel’s 10nm process to get a leg up on the industry during an upcoming generational change. Intel has not announced this company as a Custom Foundry client either, and would not provide a list of current customers when SemiAccurate requested it last week.

As you know Intel’s 10nm process is now years delayed, is not economically or technically viable, and is unlikely to ever work financially speaking based on what SemiAccurate understands of the problems Intel is still trying to fix. The customer in question put their entire upcoming line of chips at Intel on 10nm, and Intel failed. There was no Plan B, no out, and according to multiple sources, the customer in question can not survive. This is mainly due to a major industry transition that is going on now, the company in question will not have a product to sell into it.

This isn’t a mom and pop company with a trivial product line, it is a foundational technology giant. They have been in business for decades and much of a sector depends on them. And as far as we can see they are dead. Without a product line for a major industry transition, they can not survive and will be acquired or simply die. There is no way out at this point.

Attached: Intel_processor_resize_md.jpg (744x389, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

semiwiki.com/forum/content/7544-7nm-5nm-3nm-logic-current-projected-processes.html
servethehome.com/cavium-thunderx2-review-benchmarks-real-arm-server-option/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>they justed their CEO, and everyone else around them

Attached: 1529922358845.png (1002x1480, 1.25M)

The List of $20+B Market cap of possiblities, and excluding ones like Qualcomm, TI, Broadcom, Xilinx, AMD, STMicroelectronics as they are either too big or don't do any business with Intel, the last two are known Global Foundry's key customers, and Xilinx are TSMC based. What we have are:
Maxim

Skyworks

NXP

Analog Devices

Microchip

The problem is none of these companies require latest node for their product portfolio, and even if they do the product is likely not be substantial of their revenue, i.e it won't bring the company down as the article has suggested.

Could be Apple too?

With those quads, hopefully.

it's Fairchild via ON semi

20+ billion marketcap is a red herring

I answer to myself. Its not Apple, unfortunately.
Apple rejecting Intel in favor of AMD would be a huge mindshare blown against Intel.

>Maxim

I could see this

it would be dumb but I could see it

>Skyworks

literally wut

>NXP

is literally getting bought by Qualcomm right now, not fucking likely they'd take on an Intel shitstorm

>Analog Devices

probably this

Analog has made confusing choices in the past and they used to have a huge hard-on for Intel contracts

>Microchip

A company with an Intel contract on the line wouldn't be buying DOD Fuccbois

NOKIA?
ERIC?

Apple is not going AMD. If Apple abandons Intel it's for their own ARM based chips.

probably a server oem or odm

I bet it's what ibm and nvidia thought.

I hope this piece of crap company goes bankrupt, and someone more competent takes over their assets.

>50+ spectre/meltdown vulnerabilities and rising
>"no refunds goyim"

The loss of Apple will be the real death knell, Intel will end up being cannibalized for patents and a few facilities will survive doing custom shit for government customers, but like IBM is completely defunct outside their legacy customer base and is no longer a product consumers buy, Intel will also go.

Intel bet a huge chunk on trying to get into the mobile market, failed, Jewed their high end customers, and focused more on implementing backdoors than anything as far as I can see. Then just as they are suffering and Ryzen was coming out, they announce a half billion dollar diversity hiring program. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

They swindled themselves, thank fuck we have AMD. Unlike Intel they are probably fit to build computers for the national defense.

It is Apple, they recently talked about it.

Isn't apple bigger than 20B though?

RIP Dell

Intel isn't dead. It is just they are about to lose their technological edge in the manufacturing side to TSMC/Samsung.

The pink elephant in the room is that silicon has been running out of steam and there's no viable alternative on the foreseeble horizon. The whole semiconductor industry is going to feel it hard. Most of the former players already left the game when it started to become difficult back a decade ago.

Physics and economic realities have finally caught up.

Attached: Namnlös.png (2304x1296, 59K)

>Intel dying
What delusions is this? Intel will outlive everyone in this thread-

lol you think that the government wasn't the one who wanted intel to put in those backdoors in the first place?

It's unlikely for AMD to ever build computers for the government when they're cpus are assembled in china, in the event that Intel does go down AMD would have to move their assembly plants out of china and input the government mandated backdoors.

The government would rather bail out intel..

If AMD didn't go bankrupt then I doubt Intel will.

AMD will buy up the Intel fabs.

It's Wacom

Attached: 2349856234502304589.jpg (500x378, 35K)

Why would they? They are already sampling 7nm parts with a shit load of board partners, it would be counter-intuitive. 7nm is obviously superior to 10nm. Vega 7nm is probably going to drop within the next 6 months, and Ryzen 2 is less than a year out at this point. 10nm is kill.

So they have factories in the us.

>A massive $20+ billion market cap tech giant bet everything on Intel’s 10nm process to get a leg up on the industry...
>A $20+ billion market cap tech giant
>Apple ~$190b
>Dell ~$70b
>Lenovo ~$50b
>Hewlett Packard ~$23b
I think I've found our weakest link :(
Press F

Attached: hp-logo.jpg (804x500, 44K)

LEARN
TO
FUCKING
READ

What does hp make besides calculators and printers

Unless TSCM or Global Foundry are running the factories, it's irrelevant. In this day and age you can ship from Asia to the US over night with minimal costs. Unless AMD is trying to gain favor with Papa Trumpu, I see little reason for them to abandon the Asian foundries. AMD is an American company at heart anyways.

>implying corporations die because CPUs get delayed
They'll just rehash last year's models which Intel has been doing for ages anyways.

Considering their bread and butter is Intel powered Laptops and Desktop packages, I'd say that's what they "make besides calculators and printers".

semiwiki.com/forum/content/7544-7nm-5nm-3nm-logic-current-projected-processes.html

year delayed but still the densest of all

I've hated HP ever since i bought a prebuilt from them, it was a Richland APU. Problem was it only had single-channel RAM, so games literally doubled in performance when I threw in another 8GB stick. I thought it was just upgrading from 8 to 16 that improved performance, but it was going to dual channel that did it. AMD will never gain back marketshare unless OEMs stop sabotaging AMD prebuilts and laptops. Like 99% of AMD laptops on the market are worthless trash.

>Intel is the new AMD now

intels 10nm (if it worked as intended) is comparable to Global Foundry's and TSMC's 7nm.

They provide support to the biggest banks in my state of australia

None of which requires anything special fabbed from intel

Why? It doesn't seem patriotic.

>7nm superior to 10nm
Nice user, you fell for it. Actually intels 10nm is theoretically (very slightly) superior to TSMCs 10nm (amd admitted that, of course intel would need to fix their process first). The naming schemes are at this point absolutely not accurate and show only the relative difference to other nodes of the same foundry.

Don't forget that intels 14nm++ is far superior to 14nm LPP and the "12nm" refresh. That shit is all based on a 20/22nm node.
So while 7nm is indeed a great step for amd don't think intel is beaten. Their 14nm++ node is not that far off what TSMCs and Glofo's 7nm can provide, and while zens mcm design has some good aspects they still lack behind in latencies etc. Only when amd replaces the infinity fabric with an good designed interposer we will see a truly superior chip. But don't think amd will still sell them for cheap if they know their products are vastly superior to the products of the competition.

The problem here for companies that sell laptops is they rely on ongoing consumerism by releasing products that improve on previous generations. When hardware evolution stagnates they have a real hard time marketing their product when it doesn't do anything better than the previous model. This is a problem a lot of OEMs have been having of late.

This could actually be it. Wasn't it HP who bet big on Intels "itanium" processors and it failed miserably? Wouldn't be surprised if HP went with Shintel again

Attached: 1526114314032.gif (500x500, 17K)

It's like you didn't even read the article.

just bump clock speeds 25MHz and call it 9th gen "[insert name here] Lake"

They can start improving their other shit then. I see most laptops these days sold with 8th gen Intel CPU. Which is more than enough for most people. However they have very poor monitors stuck in 1080p resolution still. Or 2.5 SSD implementation that still is far from standard. Or 8GB DDR4 memory which is still only reserved to high-end laptops.

>AMD will never gain back marketshare unless OEMs stop sabotaging AMD prebuilts and laptops. This is exactly right. And this goes back to the days when Intel were embroiled in their anti competitive tactics, literally paying off OEMs to either sabotage AMD based machines, or simply not offer their product.

>just bump clock speeds
>same CPU with bumped clockspeeds
>in a laptop
You're definitely not a college graduate.

the so-called "PC expert"

>it takes a "PC Expert" to remember portable computing is heavily bound by heat and power efficiency constraints
This is why gamers need to be purged from this board.

>Their 14nm++ node is not that far off what TSMCs and Glofo's 7nm can provide
This is some delusional zealotry

>Apple $190b market cap
$910b is closer and 90% of their business is selling ARM devices. They would be fine without new macs for .... ever, really.

>if it worked
>would be

Heavy implications

>Apple
>$190B Market Cap
Nigga, they've got more than that in cash.

>90% of their business is selling ARM devices.
Exactly. Apple is by no means dependent on Intel's hardware advancement which makes it silly to speculate it'd be them in trouble. If anything Apple could afford to drop their desktop market completely. Heck, Apple could simply keep selling the same devices in shiny new cases and enclosures and still have the same retards lining up bi-annually for an "upgrade".

We font know specs of the tsmc 7 nm or intel 10 nm but intel 14 nm+++++ is clearly superior

>superior ingame frame rates
This is why gamers need to be purged from this board.

>get schooled
>proceed to LARP out of sheer buttfrustration

>get schooled
>Confusing core mesh with semi conductor density
Doesn't matter whether Intel manage to pull of a 10nm shrink, you'll still be more dense than that die.

Why do you say this? What shift in the industry would call for 10nm chips in drawing tablets?

>inb4 new mac pro powered by Qualcomm snapdragon

AMD somehow survived the Bulldozer disaster, Intel is in a smaller shit than that.

I wouldn't say that, I think its just as bad. Intel is stuck on the 14nm fab and has nothing they can do besides add more cores and pray that they can up the clocks and stay stable in the next round of chips.

Their techprocess is still faster and their brand is still very popular. Especially if they release a soldered generation of CPUs they could still be somewhat competitive with AMD.
At least more competitive that Bulldozer was.

intel 10nm or Glofo 7nm
both coming next year

Attached: Slide4.jpg (1256x707, 88K)

10nm is fundamentally borked though

Lmao, what's that got to do with anything?

>Isn't apple bigger than 20B though?
>a massive $20+ Billion
>$20+ Billion
>$20+
>+
brainlet

The only two paths i see is either going full power rangers with chips with several dies or reviviing VLIW and making it work this time.

Its going to have to be using multiple dies (its working out spectacularly well for AMD at the moment), no one will touch a revived Intel VLIW design due to just how spectacularly badly Itanium flopped and the fact all of their shit is going to need recoding and recompiling just to get it to work on the new arch.

Well, the idea with VLIW would be to make it an extension to the x86 instruction set this time, but that would be a bit hard as fuck because they would have to make a pipeline that supports regular shit and vliw at the same time.

>10nm Intel
>This year
Not likely.
Unless reports suddenly emerge of them hitting AT LEAST 40-50% yields, 10nm is still not viable and has problems rooted deep in the process.

What about micron?

IS THIS IT LADS? HAVE WE FINALLY ENTERED THE AGE OF ARM DOMINANCE??!?!
but seriously, I'd like to see what Qualcomm could do with an ARM desktop CPU with a higher power envelope and a proper power supply

Not fundamentally.
Intel 14nm was just as bad at the start - did you forget Broadwell?
Kraznich seemed pretty intent it was going to be longer to fix than 14nm though - I guess we'll see whatever (and whomever) the new CEO says.

What if the board voted Keller?

They couldn't deliver in the server market with Centriq and are quietly pulling out of high power ARM.
Desktop would be just as bad.
They can't deliver in the mobile space either, but due to LTE patents in the US, US centric phones tend to have them for the bundle licensing deal. That's why Samsung has multiple phone models with special Snapdragon powered versions for US and Canada only.

However for the ARM ISA moving forward, Cavium's ThunderX2 is actually pulling punches right up there with EPYC and Xeon.

That'd be amusing, but he's not really the CEO type. I don't think he'd fit with it well - board and stockholder meetings instead of engineering sessions.
I just can't picture him the type.

If there's a man at Intel who would ever decline an offer of becoming CEO, it's probably Keller.
From what I know of him, that man lives and breathes hardware.

If they do do it that way I wholly expect it to murder clock speeds. As I recall the general rule of thumb with cores is that the wider they get the slower their clocks get, and VLIW by definition is wide as fuck. Do you really see Intel keeping the clock speed advantage with shoehorning in VLIW?

>can't deliver in the mobile space
lolwut, they have the most powerful chips outside of Apple's
>Cavium ThunderX2
I'll have to look into this, I just don't understand why the only company that I've seen even attempt to push into the PC market is Qualcomm, as big as Mediatek and HiSilicon are I would have thought they would have been working on a high power node, but unless it was a soldered board it would be fucking expensive to implement I guess

Jim is an engineer through and through. To put him as a CEO would be a death nail to someone like Intel, they rely too much on politics and "muh Ess Jeyyy d00ble-oo's"

I see where the thought comes from. Lisa Su, a renowned semi conductor engineer and researcher becomes CEO, but that's through the career path she chose to make.

Attached: 1447161347847.jpg (1846x1923, 607K)

You realize Intel said 10nm was coming in 2013
they say this every year (e.g. delay launch date every year because they failed miserably)

>lolwut, they have the most powerful chips outside of Apple's
Cortex A73 is faster...
Also for your perusal
servethehome.com/cavium-thunderx2-review-benchmarks-real-arm-server-option/

I hope not, their customer service with instant live chat is awesome

Hey fellow online influencer. This is Jow Forums, I'm sure you received the memo on Jow Forums. The one about writing short posts (people have attention spans of a fly), and to start flame wars, rather than to try to argue.

Besides your comment doesn't reflect any views or state of Intel(R) company.

????
He posted an article from SemiAccurate you retard

The joke

your head

>watching a feminist juggernaut implode under its own weight
i bet they wish now that they hired people based on merit instead of what they look like, and didnt piss away hundreds of millions of dollars on female supremecists, and didnt alienate their core consumers.

oh well, ideologes are not known for making rational decisions

Attached: Naga-Siren-Dota.gif (128x128, 18K)

Motorola?

retards detected. Exit this thread please.

lmao

AMD is sampling 7nm EPYC this year for what its worth.

People forget that AMD was already in rough shape even before Bulldozer. Intel of course bribed OEMs, so even even though Athlon 64 was popular among enthusiast AMD never captured teh OEM market. Then the Core 2 series came out wiping out A64 sales, and AMD's response, the Phenom, was disappointing to enthusiasts. AMD had yield and clockspeed issues, and most reviews at the time recommended the Q6600 instead. Phenom II was a good value but was still outperformed by Intel's new Core i7 processors in the high end. And then came Bulldozer, which saw AMD lose all remaining marketshare in every category. Intel had a monopoly in the mobile market despite AMD pumping so much money into APUs, and stole the server market to the point where most people have no idea what Opterons even are anymore.

I guess the point is that AMD has been bleeding money for 10 years and they're still alive. So it's pretty silly to think Intel is in the same position when they STILL have the entire laptop market and their desktop CPUs are still selling well. Remember Intel is also worth a lot more than AMD as well.

youre forgetting that amd had a few viable products throughout that whole 10 years.
intel will not have any

Thinking a bit better, shit's more complex than that and my idea probably would not work.
The whole point of VLIW is that the instruction fetcher/decoder gets fucking huge as you add more parallel instructions as you need circuitry to reorder the shit so you can actually use all the execution units.
So, you can't get much advantage by having a "hybrid core" because well, it's still fuckhuge.
It would need some sort of "we have some notitanniumcores too!", like having 4 regular x86 cores and 8 VLIW cores taking the space of 4 x86 cores.

>cpu
>assembled
no user, manufactured.

They also at one point supplied components to all 3 big console manufacturers simultaneously during that period

Wait until they start to abuse the interposers to pile dies on dies on dies.