Thoughts on digital audio players (DAP)s? Worth it or just snake oil?

Thoughts on digital audio players (DAP)s? Worth it or just snake oil?

Attached: Sony-NW-WM1A.jpg (1488x2513, 1.67M)

they are comfy

long battery life

unless you have a good pair of earbuds or headphones you wont notice much of a difference, the battery is good, having physical controls for music is great (for some reason not all of them have this) and you don't occupy memory in your samrtphone with large music files

They're snakeoil if you're looking for audio quality.

Getting more than a shanling m0 is pretty much overkill unless you want multiple SD slots.

Ipod classic blocks their path

>3k

Attached: 1509731792344.png (3160x3254, 1011K)

I have an ak70 and I love it. But I also have a thing for dedicated devices. I can notice a difference even on shitty stock car speakers, but a nice pair of cans are where they really shine. If you have the money grab one. Music bee is a nice application for syncing you're library friendo

Obsolete, heavy piece of shit that uses a fucking hard disk drive instead of flash storage. Not to mention closed as fuck.
I regret purchasing it years ago, the only applel product I've ever bought.

For me they are worth it as long as they can be rockboxed.

I like my Walkman. UI can get slow with a lot of files, though.

Yeah thinking of getting this one since I've noticed a lot of noise out of my s7 lately and it kills the battery, plus the high quality bluetooth and using it as a DAC is tempting as well.
Do you have one/do you like it?

I have one, yes. Honestly I've been using it more than my onkyo dp-s1 lately because it's so damn convenient. There are some software bugs but they are cosmetic in nature and haven't affected my use. The ldac connection to my phone is far superior in sound quality,l to other bluetooth codecs; I can't notice a difference from local files. Really pleased with it, especially the price.

obnoxiously large and heavy
which is mainly a means to justify their expense rather than for any practical reason

also you dont need a touchscreen interface on a music player that isn't a phone

Attached: 6675070715_584830eaac_b.jpg (1024x683, 275K)

>hard drive
Mod it to use SD/MicroSD/Compact Flash

>closed as fuck
Its a portable media player, what else you want?

mmmm dat display

>Its a portable media player, what else you want?
Not needing to use dedicated software to put music in it. Also
>spending more money to mod it when you could just buy a superior product

Going through a thousand+ albums isn't easy without a good interface

It depends on your music listening habits, your priorities and what kind of player we are talking about.
I almost never listen to music when outside except when when working out, so I got a cheap ass ~20$ player that does the job. It's much better than using my mobile phone:
>much lighter and smaller, does not get in the way
>only plays music, you can't get distracted by calls, messages, emails, etc.
>has a clip, so it stays in place with no additional equipment needed
I have no experience with those expensive Hi-Fi players, but I've heard conflicting opinions from others. Some of them however seem genuinely happy about it.
Despite the omnipresence of smartphones, a dedicated music player still has its place for these use cases.

Worth it if you have the cash. Especially the Sony ones that can also be used as a DAC for your PC.

>keeps getting pushed back on Amazon
>also now 10 dollars more expensive for no reason
What the fucking hell

most of these devices have horrible laggy interfaces

Attached: originalipod_clickwheel.png (640x427, 381K)

r
o
c
k
b
o
x

just buy a fucking cheap chink phone with a 5000 mAh Battery.

They seem to be very popular so the distributor is cashing in on demand. You can always get one on aliexpress if you're willing to wait for a chinaman to swim across the pacific with it.

I have one. Yep, snakeoil. I have the whole set, with mdr z7 and the kimber kable.

Fucking 110 on aliexpress too

Clickwheel is overrated.
The zunepad looked like a better idea.
A touchscreen is the best when it comes to scrolling. Searching is better too because you can actually input text.

I have one and like it a whole lot. Either case or clip is mandatory because this thing is so small it's hard to grip without it. I have clip personally since it also serves practical purpose.
All around it's not perfect but comes pretty close. Biggest issue I have with it is how little space there is on the screen, it's difficult to go through big library and figure out what is what, especially if you have long filenames and browse by folders. For instance if you have tracks named [year] - [artist] - [track name] for whatever reason, then forget ever being able to see what the fuck you are trying to play. You will see year and a bit of artist, but for the rest you have to swipe on file to scroll it.
It is obvious limitation of this device being tiny, but good to keep in mind.
Other than that, touch screen is also kinda hard to use, especially on the go it's difficult to hit right buttons (prev/play/pause/next) since there is no physical ones.
Other than that it's very well made, sounds great and has all the meme functionalities that I will never use (like DSD). Also Shanling is actively developing software so far and seems to actually care about it.

Price increase by manufacturer. They bumped it from 99 to 105 USD a while ago due to manufacturing costs.

Do any support last.fm scrobbling?

Song names isn't an issue for me I always go by artist or album name, as long as I can view the album art while I'm searching I'll be good. Think I might pull the trigger on it.

Fucking jewish chinks. Looks like ebay has a few sellers still at $99.

I don't think i've ever seen a chink device actually show albumart while browsing, except the android ones.

For me it is an issue since I listen to weeb music which often has very long filenames in moonrunes and in general browse my library by folders, but even then I'm willing to deal with it because of how good this dap is otherwise

This guy is correct, there is no album art on m0.

Oh motherfucker, that's how I usually do my browsing since it's easier to recognize for me

I like my Benjie T6, it's cheap, smol, supports rockbox and a mSD card up to 256gb. Pretty much a slightly bigger Clip+ but without the clip.

>people actually buy this device
*snap*

>long battery life
>smaller battery powering a powerful amplifier that is constantly in use when playing music

Yeah, and water cooling heats up your room less than air cooling

Attached: images (1).jpg (298x169, 7K)

>listen to horribly mastered music
>gets a dap

Attached: 1530499341236.jpg (414x414, 42K)

wat

Whats the cheapest decent one I can get from chinkyland? I dont need lossless or bluetooth and shit, just mid quality mp3 and such.

Yes

Attached: 20180521_145512.jpg (2371x2868, 3.93M)

buy something that doesn't have a huge screen and you'll be able to listen to music non stop FOR DAYS

Cheap Chinese DAPs are finally fucking awesome in 2017/2018. I always wanted a astel & kern or a high end sony but could not justify the price and size. In particular i just wanted a no frill black box where all the engineering went to the audio output and not touchscreen and industrial design. I always wanted an Altmann terra player... but once again could not justify the price. (insane)

After alot of research i did an order I can highly recommend the Zishan Z2 DSD DAP paired with Tin Audio T2 and cheap 64gb card. All up this system cost AU$114 and it is a Huge step up from listening to lossless on my smartphone.

I just love the simple folder hierarchy and 3 button interface and it even has some very good equalizer modes hidden in there. Same chip as an astell and kern 380. I love the big tactile analogue volume knob and not staring at a screen is a lot less distracting and lets me just disconnect. I download a few 5.6mhz DSD rips everyday and just load them up for critical listening and its all i ever wanted. If i want to browse over 9000 songs ill just pick up my iphone 6s. But if i just want to enjoy some fresh Hi-Res the zishan Z2 takes me back to when i had my portable DAT recorder and it was just me the music and a few buttons.

I have already have a burson v6 op amp for it and plann to do some modding which why i like its simpler construction, and will probably get shanling m0 to use as a DAC with my 1tb macbook air - that thing kicks ass.

Attached: IMG_5816.jpg (2448x3264, 933K)

>AU
I feel sorry for you

get a hiby r6 or wait for the smaller r3 to be released.

ill upgrade from my fiio x7 II to a hiby r6 later this month.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 57K)

Yeah, because it's actually good. It's flat out the best DAP you can get at $100.

It's not horribly mastered though.

Worth it for cans, not worth for IEMs. I'd go with a USB DAC for my phone though, it's hard to live without online services nowadays even though most of my music is offline.

Look at the battery life of those, they usually have 10 hours tops

Meanwhile your everyday smartphone can playback music for up to 30 hours

>AU
I feel sorry for you. I bring my DAP and listen to my fresh 5.6mhz DSD downloads here every sunday ;)

Attached: IMG_6122.png (1334x750, 996K)

which ones?

yeah they're worth it

Attached: IMG_0198.rotated.jpg (3024x4032, 1.25M)

>sony

Snake Oil Now Yours

>dont need lossless or bluetooth and shit
literally anything, even those $5 shits

Best media player with tactile buttons?

Sony a25

I want one I can go running with (pseudo-waterproof, maybe has a clip)

Attached: 31kKpTjzM2L.jpg (500x332, 12K)

that one sucks there's no screen

How do you watch the creen while you're running?

Phones take a shitton of power just for the screen and all the garbage bloatware running in the background, if you could exclusively use a smartphone for music it would also last longer

SANSA CLIP+ STILL GOING STRONK!

OUT OF MY WAY FAGGOTS!

TIME TO WORK OUT!

Are those headphones or buttplugs?

Ear dildos

I have a Zune 30.

The best there is

Attached: 7th_Generation_iPod_Nano.png (1051x2025, 38K)

how do you select a particular album on that thing
I'm not some fucking barbarian who just shuffles his music and listens to it randomly

Is that the same thing as the AGPTek Rocker?

music alone, in airplane mode.

>16GB tops
>no way to control without looking at the display
if you're going to limit yourself to 16GB the 5th generation nano is honestly much better

yes

volume, play/pause, skip and voiceover are all buttons user

Music playback barely effects battery life these days

What's the point of buying a 150 dollar dac/amp like this when I could just get a shanling m0 or something? It's not going to sound any better

Attached: MD-21270_20160608170438_1c5b7ea0eaf98d89.jpg (1440x960, 39K)

smartphones exist.

i always wanted one but the only reason would be amplication but ill never take my 600 ohm t1s outside

How difficult was it to get rockbox on it? I saw it wasn't supported but there was a thread saying it was kind of a hassle to get it on.

Well if you think that dragging a folder into a microsd card is a hassle then yeah sure

Well I didn't read the thread saying it was a hassle lol. Thanks, I'll probably pull the trigger on this today.

>smaller CPU because it just needs to play music
>lighter CPU load because fewer background processes because it just needs to play music
>no wireless except maybe wifi which can be turned off
absolute brainlet

Attached: 1397641999029.png (600x1024, 377K)

theyre a meme. if you get one, you were just consumered. the dac problem was solved back in 2013 or so, and almost all quality gains come from just getting better headphones. and almost all other problems, like music eating your phones battery, can be solved using another app or coming up with a solution for the screen needing to be on while music is playing, which is also usually solved by using a better app.

Happy with my Pioneer XDP-30. Got it on sale for $200.

PMPs are worth it if you want to
>carry a massive library
>care about audio quality
>want a dedicated device with simple interface
>want playback for days on a single charge
>still play music outside of cellular range
>support for advanced and lossless formats
If you all you really care about is spotify over bluetooth, no this is not for you. If 2dollar buds are goodnuff, this is not for you.

>Etymotics
Hell yeah. Once I got used to them, I wouldn't use anything else on the subway. Active noise cancelling is a joke compared to a proper seal.

Attached: Capture.png (679x632, 591K)

Yes and you don't feel they are in your ears after a week of wearing. I tried $1000 IEMs and they couldn't even compete in terms of sound quality and form factor

ANC only really works for certain types of noise.
Combining both gets the best effect.

I'm sure you are making very a well thought out post backed by objective measurements of $1 audibly transparent audio boards in smartphones and are not totally talking out of your ass.
Also, realtek is all you ever need.

i had the iaudio m3, m5, and x5. all three were amazing. i stopped using them when i got a smartphone. then i hated my smartphone so much i bought a dumbphone, but the iaudios were way too huge, so i bought a clip zip. i carry the clip zip with me almost everywhere, and i bring along the iaudios as extras for road trips. they work well. they serve a purpose. and with rockbox, they're all still stellar devices.

>care about audio quality
But they sound the exact same as a phone

How do you know that? How many phones have you measured? What dac chip is used in your phone? What is output impedance of your phone? Which amplifier is your phone using?

i meant half of its components are made of literal gold, so there's no point in complaining about the the price

Attached: 1517037396674s.jpg (250x245, 7K)

Bronze lad.
And only the wm1z.

Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, and complain some more. This is why you have no friends and your mom dislikes you.

Typical applel brainlet.

>listening to music

fucking plebs

>not listening to music
fucking pleb

>not reciting music in your mind
fucking pleb

deprecated devices currently aimed to hobbists and "audiophiles"

If you own a modern smartphone there is absolutely no reason to use a dedicated portable audio player beside "muh feelings".
inb4 battery life
not an issue, since audio playback consumes very little battery and you charge your smartphone every day.

>since audio playback consumes very little battery

not if you prefer using foss codecs like ogg vorbis, or newer codecs like opus, or are a lossless flac/shorten/wavpack type of guy.

>wat is fiio
The x3 II has a click wheel
The x3 III has a touchwheel