fa/g/s completely stumped here.

youtube.com/watch?v=7xVrYnyQ04M

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warp.povusers.org/OpenLetters/ResponseToTorvalds.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't care about the advice of some stupid fag on youtube but
>People should just learn js or python over C++
This is correct. C/C++ is a fucking meme. I also fell for that meme about 15 years ago when I was the age of most of Jow Forums.

i dont know about us but in my shitland they want java c# and javascript

>I also fell for that meme about 15 years ago when I was the age of most of Jow Forums.
It's a common scare tactic among them. Tech illiterate old fucks are calling beginners retarded for not learning their deprecated shitty language, and since kids don't know any better they learn this trash, grow up and continue to give the same treatment to the next generation of programmers.

Haven't watched the video. But there is more js or python jobs than C++

C++ is objectively a better language. But there are more jobs for others jobs. Makes sense to recommend javascript and python.

>C++ is objectively a better language
This is when I stopped taking your post seriously. C++ is balls.

Just a ton of features crammed into the language with absolutely no consideration because it was losing ground. A complete clusterfuck and ugly as hell.

If you think C++ is a finely crafted language of high quality then I feel sorry for you for having not had the opportunity to use a real language.

If you want to be a code monkey for the rest of your life, shitting out crappy websites and registration backends, yea JS and Python are pretty good at that.
If you want to do something more, you'll learn proper languages that are capable of it.

wow he looks really tired

If you k ow c++ you can learn Js and python in a day or two.
What a faggot.

If you want to do real programming, don't learn C++, it's shite. Learn FP

>Im never programmed C++
>Im terrible at math
>You wanna do js or PHP

Attached: Hell+yeah+new+memes+have+arrived+_3687a59d483e28ddf5ec8987263f1ad2.jpg (1111x597, 143K)

I wouldn't use C++ just because of the fact that there's plenty of languages out there that do the same job in a much simpler way. Hell, C# is a much more convenient language than C++, even if it's ugly as sin, and at least Visual Studio is a good DE (it is bloated as fuck though). I'd use C# over C++ in anything that wouldn't need direct memory manipulation or heavy optimization.

is that mexico? shit, I gotta move to US or Canada this place is a shithole to work

>If you think C++ is a finely crafted language of high quality then I feel sorry for you for having not had the opportunity to use a real language.

Like?

>
steady sequence of people on here - putting python down, who haven't done anything with it

they go right to c++ cos they wanna be 'elite'
then they're stuck - they can't do anything with that either, because they're not even programmers

Just learn Java and shut the fuck up.Its literally the best.
You want to do scripts? Python.
There, you're set for your life as a dev

C++fag here. People should absolutely learn JavaScript and web development if they want to make a lot of money. Just go look at the Who's Hiring thread on HackerNews. The demand for it is fucking insane.

My theory is that big corps are dumbing down application development (Electron, React, etc) so that tons of people apply for their jobs and they can pay people less eventually. Its much harder to be well versed in C++ or C vs Javascript; you need more than just domain knowledge in the former languages whereas in JS you just piss around with a web browser. For now though having a good web development skill set means you can get hired virtually anywhere and demand a lot of money if you know all the frameworks companies ask for.

java is fking horrible
just use ptyhong

NO .. python, - javascript is NOTHING its fking locked to a BROWSER.. you can't do anything without the browser/tools. with python you have command line / debugging -- people pick up programming using IDEs all that is wrong .. use ptyhon, use the command prompt use initially small editors nano/gedit (= pluma). then you learn about files/data/access without obsfucation. Learn the python debugger (pdb) immediately, learn to implement it. Learn to look at data without "eye candy" - the horrible discredited GUI interfaces we have today (winshit etc). Run linux, not winshite. 1st thing you hear in python support (any) "how do I install it". python is a part of linux, already there. Shut the fuck up with your "javascript" shut the fuck up with c++ or java (both of which require massive infactructure/install/IDE functionality). Again and again I hear from 'lrners' "how do I get past this "how do I configure my fking IDE" whatever shit they chose. They are not addressing the issues - the issues, = getting used to looking at data, getting used to regarding objects, learning the language without any distraction. Fk off with your "use java" - java is a horrible, bloated mess of boilerplate - disorganised mess IMO

but JS is fucking dogshit.
Sintax is so fucking garbage that i gag in my mouth just looking at it. And lets not enter in JQUERY and that mess of sintax

What if I already know javascript and python and C++ and have gotten paid to write each of them?

C# is just java with microsoft branding added

New javascript is acceptable. I could agree with first iterations of it.

It's certainly not my first choice, but it pays the bills.

>javascript is NOTHING its fking locked to a BROWSER
>fking
as much as i hate js and advocate for python, it's not locked to browser only retard. also summerfag

shut the fuck up
it's browser based
are you talkking about node.js
fk off with your nodejs
js is a "fuckng weird"(compromised) organically, devleoped mess
use python fking amateur
you spit on scripters - js is script
python is a language, idiot

Learn english you monkey. Python is trash. Horrible type system, requires backslashes to break long lines because of the special snowflaek formatting style, awful documentation (quantity != quality), and unbelievably bad performance. The vast majority of python developers don't plan anything out in a solid fashion because they can just shove everything into a mixed-type dict or mixed-type list (puke) and call it a day. All these useless ass @features but no type-safety and no protected access (just use an underscore!)

Python is only good for scripting and nothing else.

JS is repulsive in lots of ways but its currently the most lucrative to be well versed in, that's the only argument I'm making.

>it's not locked to browser only retard
For all practical purposes it is, no one is talking about JS in the context of a simple script engine in another application. I use a portable JS engine as a script layer for a small app I wrote and its fine for that use. It jumps the shark when you talk about it in the context of a web-browser sandbox like Chrome or Electron.

who the fuck uses "performance"
its unbelievbly fast
fuck you i can't be bothered typing correctly all i do is type fuck off idciot

you use dicts cos you fucikign don't know anything
what the fuck do you use you piece of shit

you got c++ on a windows box thats 18gb
c++ and you onlyo use about fking 2% of it you piece of fucking shit -- I have my own editor/ide framework (python) you know fucking nothing
i am from industry -- you are a piece of fkinng garbage on Jow Forums

Like C, which actually was a good language and C++ horribly raped cramming useless features on top of it. Or Python, which allows for very clear and neat code and only has one way of doing a thing (opposite of C++).

i repeat - js is nothing
js is "web designer"

>who the fuck uses "performance"
>its unbelievbly fast
Python is usually many 100's of times slower for C++. Doesn't matter unless you use it for anything outside of scripting. Stop seizing on the keyboard and type like a human.

dicts are powerful

people don't evcen USE ptyohng
you fking idiots all you state is this and that generalisations about language - you have not produced 1 single thing, any of you

fuck off

re: speed. it is "relatively" slowwer than say c++ but you isolate, you rewrite things that need "grunt" in C

you know ntohing
you are all driving atround in "ferraris" what you regard as 'c++' smugly elite

you can't even drive
you're idiots

>you got c++ on a windows box thats 18gb
Some of us develop software for other devices, with the little assumption that memory and CPU consumption are important things. I know these don't matter to you (since you're a Python advocate). That's okay; we'll keep building the software that lets you write your naive little scripts without actually understanding anything about computer architecture.

Attached: 1525651589988.gif (350x300, 1.99M)

you fucking piece of shit
im an industry veteran
all i do is code
you fucking idiot

fuck you

lmaooooo

>you rewrite things that need "grunt" in C
Or, if you have the tiniest bit of mental ability you use modern C++ which comes with speed when you need it, type safety when you need it, a standard library that isn't garbage when you need it, and backwards compatibility when you need it. But I know all these things require you to understand memory (scary!) so just go on right ahead and keep playing with the safety scissors bud.

this is some bad english, spare yourself and don't argue. Cepples0x is just as simple as a shit JS with an insanely optimized compiler instead of a standard-required garbage interpreter.

It's really hard to out-optimize the standard library. It's fuckhueg for a reason and that is to make compiling really really fucking effective (and not fast)

I don't give a shit if this guy is a professional since 20 years.
He has written hello world in C++, that's his own words, nothing else, and he has heard from colleagues that C++ "ehhh it's getting messy"
This is a worthless video

>fa/g/s completely stumped here.
but he didn't really say anything, except that js and c++ is used for different purposes
if you assumed otherwise, and anything in this video surprised you, then you're a moron.

>I also fell for that meme about 15 years ago
except that 15 years ago that was a valid advice

>People should just learn python over C++
ftfy

js is utter hacky shit. maybe in addition to python learn Go

I used python once and now my skin darkened and I feel uncomfortable shitting indoors. Anyone else experiencing this?

Im learning c, is the only language ive wrote and compiled with, when I look up job openings the majority are for java and related languages

Am i wasting my time or what

t. Rustfag

>2050 AD
>everyone writes in js
>there's no people left to write kerlel side js inerpreter

>Like C
Of course. It was a C programmer with the C hacker syndrome all along.

no, you should definitely know what pointers and manual memory management is. it will help you in you dev life

You should never actually use that manual memory management unless you're in some really low level retarded special case but you should know it.

>"muh jobs"
>learning a language to get a job

>Guy hasn't even written anything beyond hello world in c++
>Claims he can talk about it because he's programmed in 9 languages for 20 years
>Proceeds to parrot the most common arguments that he's heard
Some people are stupid. C++ has its valid criticisms, but this guy offers nothing of value.

Use C++11 or onward and if you hate C++ use Rust.

I love C++0x and Rust, but C++ actually has a good compiler and is past 1.0

>js is utter hacky shit.
>People should just learn python
Hahaha. Python is probably the most hacky shit ever. Its syntax is hipster barf, just different for the sake of being different.

depends entirely on what you want to do. as with any language.

Yeah if you are web dev doing crappy shit that will probably be outsourced. But theres guys around doing real tech and we need a powerful and efficient language, you know.

Unironically Jow Forums should learn Java

kotlin

kernel written in c++

Kernel isnt the new and hot stuff though

It will have to be soon. We can't keep maintaining 80's-90's kernels forever.

yick, kernels written in C++? no, get those plusses out of here.

kernels should be written in C. maybe a little ASM. anything that depends on the c++ standard library, or, worse yet, boost, is an abomination. just look at what Linus says:

>C++ is a horrible language. It's made more horrible by the fact that a lot of substandard programmers use it, to the point where it's much much easier to generate total and utter crap with it. Quite frankly, even if the choice of C were to do *nothing* but keep the C++ programmers out, that in itself would be a huge reason to use C.

>In other words: the choice of C is the only sane choice. I know Miles Bader jokingly said "to piss you off", but it's actually true. I've come to the conclusion that any programmer that would prefer the project to be in C++ over C is likely a programmer that I really *would* prefer to piss off, so that he doesn't come and screw up any project I'm involved with.

>C++ leads to really really bad design choices. You invariably start using the "nice" library features of the language like STL and Boost and other
total and utter crap, that may "help" you program, but causes:

> - infinite amounts of pain when they don't work (and anybody who tells me that STL and especially Boost are stable and portable is just so full of BS that it's not even funny)

> - inefficient abstracted programming models where two years down the road you notice that some abstraction wasn't very efficient, but now all your code depends on all the nice object models around it, and you cannot fix it without rewriting your app.

>In other words, the only way to do good, efficient, and system-level and portable C++ ends up to limit yourself to all the things that are basically available in C. And limiting your project to C means that people don't screw that up, and also means that you get a lot of programmers that do actually understand low-level issues and don't screw things up with any idiotic "object model" crap.

>tfw new
how do I into Jow Forums and babby steps

Copied from Linus Torvalds who has severe C hacker syndrome.

There's lots of levels of abomination in Cepples. Boost is well past abominable levels. If you're using boost everything has already gone as wrong as they can.

C is viable Cepples too, you don't HAVE to extend the STL in your own code.`

oop eternally btfo

t. Programmer with C hacker syndrome.

>C hacker syndrome
I googled this to try and figure out what it means and why you keep posting it in this thread, and all I found was some butthurt rant about how great C++ is and a comment on Hacker News.

It was term coined by a Finnish C++ programmer.
It refers to C programmers who have a prejudice against C++ without any cogent reason to dislike to language.

*dislike the language

It's another episode of C++ programmers think the world revolves around C++. Linus makes a very cogent point right here
> - inefficient abstracted programming models where two years down the road you notice that some abstraction wasn't very efficient, but now all your code depends on all the nice object models around it, and you cannot fix it without rewriting your app.
This appears to explain most of the reason C++ programmers remain employed

Is OOP is general a bad programming practice of C++ with OOP is a bad idea?

warp.povusers.org/OpenLetters/ResponseToTorvalds.html

Yikes

Java.. reminds me of bureaucracy... you just can't do anything without jumping through hoops..
Quite nice to look at when done right though.
But so is c++... just that c++ forgives shitty code more.. in java you're forced to write so much boilerplate you'll easily get lost in it if you don't care about styling.

Attached: javavsc.gif (252x184, 2.15M)

I don't get it, Jow Forums is full of contradictory advice. Here is preached that you have to learn concepts and the theory of software devlopment, that languages are tools for a goal. But when you said "language x" is deprecated, Jow Forums acts like crazy chimps throwing shit at each other, if theory and concepts are more important, why do you chimp out over a kanguage?

Only legacy code uses C++ now, most stuff is C#, java or js

I smell a "developer" from poo in the loo land

It becomes a problem in a constantly maintained, long term project. Like the linux kernel for example

well I work with C++ for many years and it trolled me only once, when I wanted to get into functional programming, then I struggled to make something as trivial as while loop in haskell. also counting spaces is retarded because fuck tab, right, haskell fags? I'm surprised even Pascal is more usable than haskell

v8 is fast enough for almost anything you would have to write today. you can even write a os in it

>kernels should be written in C. maybe a little ASM. anything that depends on the c++ standard library, or, worse yet, boost, is an abomination. just look at what Linus says:
t. never wrote an kernel in his life

You do realize you should write your own standard libraries right? It's not even that hard, don't listen to that nigger linus.

>nigger linus
Linus has no cogent arguments against C++.

lurkmoar

nodejs

streams take a lot of boilerplate code away though

What is it with people and mugs in youtube videos?

Is it because they think it makes them smug?

>mug
>smug
>s mug
*x files theme plays loudly*

Golang is somehow absorbing the Python and C++ market in one swoop.
I'm okay with this.

this btw tho

Garbage collector and no generics, user.

Nobody should learn C++.
Just stick to C99

read the whole thing and OMG I want to learn c++ now

>python
It's the Visual Basic of the FOSS world: great if you have quality third party modules for what you are trying to do, an overgrown shell scripting utility otherwise.

Attached: 1265074653000.png (262x300, 148K)

>listening to a literal who e-celeb
no thanks

kek :^)

>Garbage collector
That is gos thing.
It makes multithreaded code 1000x easier (which is one of the main reasons why it has garbage collection).

>no generics
Bloat.
If all you need generics for is basically text replacement, why not just do that instead?
It's very easy. You can even use go generate.
If you want it for more, you are wrong for wanting it for more.
The reason generics aren't in go is because people would end up using it for more than just basic text replacement, which forces everyone to live with the crap people do (like with C++).

How does GC make multi threaded code easier?

Lol seriously really?

I will never understand the beef people have with garbage collection in anything that isn't performance critical, what's more is that Go does let you just drop into C if you absolutely have to for the performant portion of the code, while everything else is managed however in its own little world.

I understand why you'd be hung up on nanoseconds if you needed to blast data as fast as possible, but not in the majority of applications. I think I can spare the nanoseconds of garbage retention+cleanup, while it will never be as performant as defined-by-hand deallocation, it really does feel good enough in Go. The principle is the same regadless, when something isn't needed anymore, free it. We just offload the "when" to runtime for certain things, which honestly, people tend to implement themselves anyway in some fashion.

The gc keeps track of references, not you. You don't have to implement any additional concepts yourself, you just write your intent and it's gauranteed to work itself out if your code is sane. Like I said above, keeping track of that stuff is the same practice, just written by you instead of someone else.