/spg/ - Smartphone General

disassembled edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: photo.jpg (1049x568, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00T38OHQ8
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/3/17529602/xiaomi-mi-6x-hatsune-miku-limited-edition-release-date-price
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/
gsmarena.com/google_pixel_xl-8345.php
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/15/17467216/usb-c-headphones-wireless-future
androidauthority.com/we-asked-you-told-us-no-one-really-wants-wires-but-bluetooth-just-isnt-great-876615/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

From old thread:

Does adAway do more than blokada/dns66? I assume so because it has root access. But if it doesn't do anything more than blokada/dns66 then I don't really wanna go through the trouble of rooting it.

is ricing still a thing Jow Forums does?

What are some good power banks?

Anker powerbanks are god tier

seconded. My Anker powerbank may weigh as much as a brick but it's good for like 9001 full charges of my phone and has quick charging so it charges in 30 minutes.

Why is my usage time capped at 16h at 100%, despite how slightly i use the phone? rn5 global

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-04-02-14-27-578_com.miui.securitycenter.png (1080x2160, 82K)

Question:
Can bad charging cables lead to burning/fire even if the charger is fine (original one that came with phone or an Anker charger)?

amazon.com/gp/product/B00T38OHQ8

I'm thinking about buying these bad boys. I don't mind if they turn out to be generally shit, like they all stop working after 3 months. Whatever it's only $16. But obviously a fire hazard is a different matter.

Attached: volutz.jpg (1076x696, 206K)

Yes, if the current is too much for the actual amount of copper that's in the cable, it can definitely lead to a fire
I melted a cheap set of jumper cables that way, also their used to be stories of cheap lightning cables/usb c cables destroying charging ports and catching fire
But remember, high price doesn't necessarily equate to high quality

Thanks.
I guess I'll give them a miss then.
I bought some no-name Chinese cables in the past. A 3-pack of 6ft cables. 2 of them stopped working in a couple of months, and 1 if I used my phone while it was charging would cause the phone to suddenly restart. Threw them away obviously. No fire problems but maybe I didn't have them long enough.
Then I bought a 2-pack of 6ft Anker cables. Absolutely no problems, still working. Well-built and I have no special reason to worry about fire.

I was attracted to these 'Volutz' cables primarily because of the 10ft one. I have an awakward setup in one of my rooms at home and a 10ft cable would be handy right now. The 4 other cables would be a bonus, especially at such a low price. But fuck it, if fire risk is a possibility just form the cables then it's not worth the risk. I'll just buy a single overpriced Anker 10ft cable. Safety first, niggas.

Attached: 1530466251596.png (900x1006, 1.93M)

Did you read any of the reviews? I mean I know dhit can get paid for but if any of them have pics comparing to other cables you *might* be able to get a better idea, but you'll never know unless you take the risk on the Volutz
If it's any consolation, I'd probably give it a go

LG V20, Pixel XL or any other phone for

Attached: Judith_Leyster_-_A_card_player.jpg (2809x3200, 2.24M)

Good review ratio but still the bad reviews are there. All verified purchases, they can't all be shills. There are some that complain of burning/fire.

I don't automatically trust a good review ratio anyway these days. The shit cheap chink cables that I bought before - they had a good ratio too.

Yeah, probably better to go with the more expensive Anker then, i have a 6+ft Power line+ USB-C cable that is amazing, just shop it around and don't settle for one price

>considering batteries die
Modern phone batteries do not appreciably deteriorate for years. It's not like it was 10 years ago when 12 months after purchase you notice it lasts half as long. And any battery can be replaced if you love the phone *that* much.

thanks bro
this is a comfy general
people are nice and helpful to each other :3

>:3

Attached: 1501658631172.webm (720x404, 889K)

New around here huh? Shit gets flung here a bunch, especially in the wake of the Samsung MMS controversy

Regular USB doesn't push enough amps to heat the wires to that level, and the voltage is way too low to arc.
Some of the quick charge specs might, like USB C pushing 5 amps over tiny wires.

It's just the phone's best guess.

You could use it and see how long it actually lasts.

Ready to jump off the iPhone train.

Looking for something that will work in the US and Europe, 835 processor, decent camera.
My plan is to port my US number to Google Voice so I can keep it while I'm living in the UK for a few years. $450 is about my limit.

I'm eyeing the S8, generally want something that will last a few years.

Does anyone have info on this?

theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/3/17529602/xiaomi-mi-6x-hatsune-miku-limited-edition-release-date-price

Would you use that phone if it were given to you for free but you had to use it in public and couldn't put a case of any kind on it ever?

With pride.

>Limiting your expression because random normies might judge you
LMAOing at your life!

So what are the pros/cons of the whole wireless headphones thing.
I listen to a lottttt of music and I don't know if the headphone jack is a big enough deal to influence what phone I get.

Just get a dongle, all this shit is overblown

pls give answers pls

What is the best 845 phone now/release soon?

wireless headphones:
pros:
no wires
no tangles
walk away from phone with headphones on without accidentally pulling it off desk
listen to podcasts while cooking even if you're not wearing pants
cons:
needs to be charged
audio quality slightly worse
more expensive

Micromax best fone

now: s9+
soon: note 9

I don't even know what a dongle is. Is that what the wireless earphones use?
Do you ever need to replace them?
Are they expensive?
Do they need to be charged?
I use earphones extensively, so will I need 2 pairs for battery purposes?
a lot of questions bro
also checkem

USB-C to 3.5mm dongle, it allows you to still use headphones with the 3.5mm jack in phones that removed the 3.5mm jack
They usually come with the phones, no charging either
You only need to replace them if they wear on you just like with anyother adapter
No worries mate

dongle is an adapter that plugs into the usb-c port on your phone and the 3.5mm plug on your headphones.

replace what?

what are expensive, dongles? they're cheap and a lot of phones give them to you for free.

yes wireless headphones need to be charged, how in the hell do you think they work?

most decent wireless headphones get at least 6 hours out of a charge so if you use them for more than that in a row maybe but it should be like your phone. use it sporadically throughout the day and charge it while you sleep at night.

are you 12 or something?

>checkem
this isn't /b/ faggot, take that shit to your containment

thanks

checkem

So looking to upgrade in a few months, Verizon so no chink phones sadly, if the RoG phone ends up on big red would it be a decent upgrade from an HTC 10? I want a premium phone that's not Samsung and I'm not sure I want the HTC 12. I know a gaming phone is a meme but I'm hoping for a quality build and premium features out of it

Stop being on Verizon and you can have any phone you want.

Not him but doesn't att and Sprint have lists of approved phones too?

It's not so much the issue of whether the phone is "approved" or not so much as the fact that Verizon broadcasts on a band basically no one else on the planet uses so nearly all phone manufacturers lack this band on their phones making them next to worthless on Verizon.

What are some good options for $300?
The only thing I specifically need is expandable storage.
And since the budget is so low I suppose I'm looking at refurbed.

I know but if your phone isn't on the approved list do they not block you based on the IMEI regardless of bands?

"no".

Not with AT&T, but with CDMA carriers like Sprint and Verizon they have IMEI whitelists
With GSM networks like AT&T and T-Mobile and their subsidiaries, all that matters is if the phone picks up the LTE/HSPA/2G bands

AT&T hasn't operated a whitelist in many years. Verizon and Sprint still do.

>stop being on the only network with service in every region
Wish I could, but ATT are cheap fucks when it comes to putting up towers.

>operate a business that 99% profit margin
>still cheapest jew of jews

Attached: 1505906567363.jpg (353x353, 31K)

do you know what the case is with republic wireless? i was reading on their site but am having trouble understanding if they have a white list or not. seems like they do.

>republic wireless
Why don't you just move to Straight Talk if you're going to be an MVNO cuck?

>meme Samsung launcher
Any others?

>cuck
I don't think you know what that word means, agreementCuck

It's the only carrier that gives 1 gig data for 20$/mo

Do blackberry phones use a botnet os? I need a new phone but I don't want android

Attached: 800px-BlackBerry_8820,_BlackBerry_Bold_9900_and_BlackBerry_Classic.jpg (800x600, 97K)

Or you can just pay $40 for 10 gigs, or $55 for "unlimited" AKA 65 gigs with ST and be able to use any carrier you'd like just by picking the appropriate SIM card.

You would need something that works on all networks like a Motorola

Is this the case with google pixel as well?

I want to be cheap plus I only use like 300mb per month

And the Essential as well I believe

But then why would republic list the galaxy s8 and so as options to bring if they are not compatible with all networks?

I don't personally know nor care about Samshit, haven't since 2012

Attached: Capture_0.png (1099x885, 1.09M)

But what if it's a massive pain in the ass to replace?

And is there anything on the XL that would make that pain in the ass worth it?

Looking to buy the nokia 6.1 but heard that the bootloader is locked. Never really dealt with rooting before, but how much is it going to set me back? Like what else can I root for instead of custom roms?

I'm only asking because it relates to me wanting to bring a phone that runs gsm on the network but I'm afraid they have a white list or I wont be covered if they have only cdma towers in my area.

now: Mi Mix 2S
soon: Mi Mix 3

Kernel mods, camera mods, ad blocking, etc
I personally don't have any experience with Republic so the only thing I can do is recommend hitting up their customer service chat

LG G4 is all i want in a phone but i know if i buy one the bootlooping little faggot is going to kill itself. What do?

Don't buy one then retard. Unless you open the phone up and hardware mod it then it's destined to bootloop. Those SD SoC's heat up too bad and cook themselves with the cooling LG gave it

Get a V20

tfw bought mom a refurb G3, it worked for about 2 years and now its died after boot looping for about a week. Wasn't sure if i should just grab a used v20 or something. Any suggestions for the 200~ range?

V20
LeEco Le Pro 3

I've been waiting to buy the Moto G6 Plus for a while now.
When the hell will the US version be available?
I need CDMA.

pls gib answers pls

Probably never considering it was spec'd to similarly to the X4
So get the X4

>just buy an obsolete outdated phone
What?
I don't want the shitty X4. I want a US version G6 Plus.

The X4 is 1080x1920 I want the 2160x1080 res, 6GB of RAM, and 128GB of storage.

I'll say it again.
The X4 is fucking T R A S H.
I'd sooner buy a G5 than that.

it does more than blockada.
you sounded like pajeet asking question, go back to xda

Smartphone with the absolute longest battery life? Hit me with em boys.

The one you don't use 24/7 like an addict.
They ALL last a week if you don't constantly turn them on.

Yeah I know. My smartphone addiction is a little out of control, I hate feeling connected 24/7.

What smartphone has the absolute longest endurance though?

New? Either some meme chinese phone with a 10000mha battery or more realistically the key2, the reviews said it lasted 2 days normal use

>I hate feeling connected 24/7.
>Wants to buy smartphone to help him stay connected 24/7
Just get a power bank and be done with it.

So buy a battery case jackass

I want a 5 to 6 inch screen, at least 4000mah, sd 625 and above, have okay camera, headphone jack, most importantly memetreble support.
France and my budget is 250 euro bellow. Thanks in advance.

Literally Redmi Note 5

The V20 will because of the inevitable bootloop.
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/lg-extends-warranty-to-30-months-for-those-affected-by-bootloop-issue/
Pixel XL scores very low considering its battery capacity.
gsmarena.com/google_pixel_xl-8345.php

theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/15/17467216/usb-c-headphones-wireless-future
androidauthority.com/we-asked-you-told-us-no-one-really-wants-wires-but-bluetooth-just-isnt-great-876615/

Yes, even BB10 was and still is proprietary.

>but how much is it going to set me back?
Every Android version and security update OEM doesn't intend to release. Maybe support up to Android P and that would be it.
>Like what else can I root for instead of custom roms?
Security patches, ad blocking, app permission control apps (AppOps), firewalls, backup solutions, the ability to uninstall system apps, etc.

See:

>wat are the pros/cons
Here's the major con for me: The jury's still out on the whole physical effects from rf over extended periods. I use my phone enough just during the course of work to make that an issue for me. IMO, infrequent users (like avg. 30min-1hr/day) prolly wouldn't need to worrry.
>cons:
>needs to be charged
>audio quality slightly worse
>more expensive
If not for the previous unknown, these outweigh wat little convenience they might offer.

>also are there any products out there that will protect just the camera lens?
>I found a couple but they had mixed reviews at best
>I'm really not a fan of cases
Would like to know if anyone has a solution for this. I use the camera quite a bit during the course of business and around a year into every new phone the cover over the camera lens becomes so scratched it's no longer serviceable. Having to break out the dslr, unpack, transfer then re-pack at every site is pure pain. Anyone tried using a piece cut from a screen protector to cover the camera and how did it work? Getting the key2 inna cpl weeks and need a different approach.

When is Sony going to make the Xperia Play 2?? :DDDDD

what is Jow Forums thoughts on the note 9?

It's going to cost $300 more than it's worth

what phone do you think is worth its money? im looking to upgrade in the near future

My mother needs a new phone.
What's the Thinkpad of phones nowadays? One around 100 USD or less.

I was thinking Samsung J3 but I don't know.

Hope this is the right place to ask but I'm looking for a good android messenger app. Current phone has the verizon messenger as default.

Just want something that doesn't log all of my shit. I may even settle for Google's android messenger, since last I checked Textra had ads.

Maybe a Xiaomi Redmi 5A.

How fucking normalfag is this board getting? Holy shit fuck off

What, you want me to instead ask how to root my phone? If all you had to contribute was you whining then why even reply in the first place?

thanks. wow, I will get it I swear on my life.