Why has programming salaries risen so much?

I thought H1B was going to kill it

Attached: 1525015971160.png (664x735, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

teamblind.com/articles/Compensation
levels.fyi/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>March 25 2017
Not the case in 2018 you shit fuck.

this is the 12th time you're making this thread, fuck off already

Attached: 1530671135145.png (664x735, 77K)

>Math major
>300k starting
>Any job I want

But seriously. Majoring in CS now is pretty stupid, most CS programs are saturated, it's almost like the new business major

>work in silicon valley
>only make 120k

Attached: 1506388259745.jpg (640x480, 31K)

I make that much. I can’t start a family here.

How long have you been working?

why don't you move?

More jobs here and better nature.

>Math Major
>Ends up teaching math
Hows that lie you're dreaming of?

honestly, you SVfags are fucking delusional. i cannot understand how anyone can put up with living there every time i visit the mothership.

you realize that you can make nearly the same m....you know what, fuck it, we don't want you here.

Because most of the code monkey jobs have been sent to India.

The programming jobs that are left aren't just programming. They are usually doing something else as well and are quite niche, which is the only reason for the money to be good in them.

somethings wrong with your browser, here's what it looks like on mine

Attached: Untitled.png (1206x908, 432K)

>Google can afford to pay non-execs 9 million a year
And people say "too big to fail" isn't a thing

sour grape is real

Attached: 1508591228550.png (570x918, 246K)

Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT come to Austin or Dallas. Absolutely no jobs, sorry, keep your position in SV.

We can meme all day about AI being a meme, but it's an actual arms race right now whether people are conscious of it or not. Deep fakes and deep analysis alone are enough to motivate actors to empty they pockets in an effort to stay ahead of the competition. 6 million is nothing when being first to market is worth billions.

plus, i would definitely ask for more money if i had to work at Oracle

OCI is matching Google pay right now.

already at Goolag tho

>believing such obvious propaganda
Six figure salaries are not uncommon in any major metro and in many industries thanks to inflation and the astronomical cost of living in cities which are owned by foreign and domestic oligarchs.

Not him. But Texas is trash... Would never go there. Iirc that state has no idea what "mass transit" means

you are set then, just shut up and do the work and get to l5

working on it. let's see if my soul dies first!

crud work?

yeah, it was really bad in a small office. no interesting projects while being surrounded by careerists and sycophants.

just transferred to a different team and site though, things are looking up!

>dump all that sweet, sweet money into index funds
>after 10 or so years, financially independent
Seems pretty good m8.

yep, already well on my way.

too bad that i just bought a house and extended my wage slavery sentence.

>ca taxes
>market has downturns every 10 years
>sv cost of living
>100k base salary for senior roles
You aren't rich working in Google.

it's a /sci/ meme dude.

my friends that work in SV make about that much. my brother has a master's in civil engineering and ~5yrs in the industry he makes more than that.

senior at google makes 400-500k

I make over 135k (150ish with benefits) and am a senior role in the Midwest somewhere. Company HQ is SV; I'm cheap compared to SV; base salary for my background would be easily 185k.

i'm not in SV and should be able to comfortably save $100k a year even with a mortgage. i'm TLs and managers make $500k+. memes aside, the OP article does have some truth to it. my 50-something mentor who spent his life in startups said that he should've gone with the FAANG offers instead. he'd have retired several times by now.

the worst part is that with the usual big corp inefficiencies, most of our work gets deprecated/thrown away/discontinued. that HBO SV show might be onto something. Hooli just wants us off the market..

>most of our work gets deprecated/thrown away/discontinued
this is a good thing though, you get to ship new stuff and get promotions, which are worth 100k each at faangs

Not surprised. I have no idea why there is this meme surrounding tech and money.

Seniors at Google make 100-150k plus stock.

TLs at Google are pretty much the best techies in the world, so I'd be surprised if they were making less. This is far beyond the reach of most SEs.

>i can get 100k savings a year
You must be in TX. Those kinds of savings are unheard of on the left coast.

stock is as good as cash user.

What's a TL?

>$700K Google Salary
>work at google
>totalcomp is only about $300k
>impostor syndrome intensifies

tech lead aka tech lead manger. easy 500-700k at FAANG

>TLs at Google are pretty much the best techies in the world

i think you're buying too much into our PR bullshit. Google is staffed by plenty of regular people who learned how to pass our interview process.

b...but what about changing the world and all that?

it's definitely the dream job as far as wageslaving goes, but sometimes you just want more from life than writing useless messaging apps, you know?

it's hard to talk about this to people with normal jobs, you always end up sounding like an entitled fuckwit.

anyway, i clearly need to let my soul die and just farm promos for a few years to earn freedom.

Probably because it's fuck huge and the only people that use public transit in cities that have them are poor people.

dude, i worked at early stage startups before, change the world sure, but if i had passed my first google interview then i'd actually own a house in sv now.

All I'm seeing in here for faang (aka faggot companies) are salaries for managers. Anything 250k is a manager, non technical role; even in SV.

If you're on Jow Forums and want that, then you should go to the Jow Forums board instead

>salaries for managers
nope, these are l5 salaries, aka senior, go read teamblind.com/articles/Compensation and cry

Or the ones who hate driving and raging during rush hour; which in a big city is all fucking day.

>Or the ones who hate driving and raging during rush hour;
No, sorry; it's just poor people that use it here.

Some rando site, cool? I actually work for a series B in SV and have worked in SV the past 5 years. Try again faggot and 10 years SRE/DevOps between east and west coast.
You literally don't know what you're talking about.

levels.fyi/

How many companies did you interview at?
>didn't even apply to FAANG
Why am I so retarded?

My w2 last year showed 220k and I've only been working 2 years. Not even in California. You sound bitter.

>work for a series B in SV
poor you. i worked from B to IPO and I wished I joined FAANG earlier. Literally making 400k a year now and doing the same work I was doing at startups.

I have no interest in joining faang lol. Granted you probably do make more working at either of those. I simply have no interest in working for any of those co's.

he is

Attached: 1510458107274.png (430x129, 10K)

Are you like super good at programming or something?
How long have you worked and what do program?

I'm top 10%. definitely not super good. All I do right now is semi crud java programming. faangs just pays really god damn good that is all.

>it's hard to talk about this to people with normal jobs, you always end up sounding like an entitled fuckwit.
I hear you m8. In all honestly, the dev job I have now should be heaven. I take long ass lunch breaks, have a flexible schedule, work only about 6 hours a day, and the managers are competant and don't micromanage. But the work is getting seriously boring and I don't really connect with any of my coworkers. I feel completely detached from the company as a whole and it's making me want to leave daily.

This is why i work for startups in SV.

>the work is getting seriously boring and I don't really connect with any of my coworkers. I feel completely detached from the company as a whole and it's making me want to leave daily.

i was there just a few months ago. many people in this company are just...fucking weird, and not in a good way.

it got a lot worse after DaMore and reading the frantic shrieks of the purplehairs on internal groups.

i recommend changing teams if you can, but that will wreck your promo hopes for this cycle. my new team is autistic in the same manner as i am. it helps a lot.

Sure with the NASDAQ booming, if there is a race for the door as there is during every recession. You have meme money.

I don't doubt that there are morons who have talked their way into these positions, but I'd imagine that the majority would be very good.

>Live in India
>Only makes $50K a year

Attached: 1512339270067.jpg (318x359, 34K)

I wouldn't even consider moving all the way to SV unless it's 150k MINIMUM base salary, and not a penny less. How anyone willingly takes a salary for less is beyond me, especially considering you have guys making double that

And by 150k I do mean after taxes of course

after your first year, the stock vests monthly. you can also put it on autosell and get it immediately in cash.

depends on the company, goog is one of the better ones, if it's large enough grant it vests monthly from the start

>immediately in cash
Nope. Schwab is a fucking piece of shit and you have to jump through so many steps to get your money.

>Majoring in CS now is pretty stupid

you don't love the "classic equity award center"?

..yeah i guess it takes around ~5 days to get the cash, so that's not "instant"

>semi crud java programming
>400k
surely there's more to it...

Attached: 1450053077726.png (279x301, 134K)

>no jobs
It's not that there's no jobs, it's just that there's nothing worth while. Especially in Dallas. Dallas is a corporate wasteland. Austin is okay but the market is busy with people that already live there because of UT. Houston is tough for software but if you're willing to look past it O&G isn't too bad and they pay pretty well which is good because the cost of living is pretty low

no, there isn't anything more to it. go study Cracking the Coding Interview and escape your NEETdom.

Some random NEET is never going to even reach the phone interview stage.

How's that working out? After I get myself in a good place money and experience wise, I'll probably give that meme a shot.

It takes a special kind of autism, at least for me. Otherwise, I'm just a stone faced robot that only talks to people when there's a problem or I need something.

Attached: 1524766021059.jpg (964x397, 114K)

>make youtube videos
>make 600k a year
heh

Attached: 1530257859498.png (694x417, 565K)

How many leet codes or whatever should I do?

google pays people big bucks to move data from one proto to another user.

just practice solving problems with a marker on a whiteboard, because that's the gauntlet that we chose to make people run

Well, i make fat stacks (not as much as these faang fags supposedly), work my own hours, etc. I get to work on any tech just cuz. I mean, I love it. But I can't stand the red tape that comes along with top heavy orgs... Which is absent in startups usually.

>proto 2->3
>they remove hasField
wtf
okay

Attached: 1*g4zsvHxslR-946bI_twV-w.jpg (400x388, 27K)

>>they remove hasField
>wtf
the philosophy is to treat defaults and null the same.

Corporatefag reporting in.

I get paid a comfy six figure salary to show up at 10:30AM for my morning standup, leave at 4:30 for the gym, including an hour for lunch, and my boss tells me "keep up the good work" every other week in our 1on1s. Apparently it's not meme, "journalist who does literally zero research" Google level money, but I do okay.

How?

Because I get shit done.

Don't be a lazy fuck.

>10:30-4:30
Based. I work 12-6 despite being salaried for 8 hours a day, and I also get shit done to such an extent that I was recently promoted.

Cool, I work when I want. I show up to meetings when I want. I make 6 figures. I'm not micromanaged.

Implies I'm lazy. Some days i work 18 hours. Some days I'm not working at all.

Psst you guys are getting ripped the fuck off. I show up at 1pm and I'm out by 3pm at the latest, and that's only because I'm chatting up the hot receptionist half the time I'm there. Hell I don't even show up on Mondays or Fridays because fuck that, extra long weekend

>Psst you guys are getting ripped the fuck off. I show up at 1pm and I'm out by 3pm at the latest, and that's only because I'm chatting up the hot receptionist half the time I'm there.

You'd stay at my office for a long ass time if you saw our receptionist.

hello mr director when bikes in from sf

H1B was trying to kill it, but it got even bigger.

I guess economics 101 wins again. curse you economics 101.

Attached: basic-econ.jpg (735x1000, 70K)

My employer doesn't track hours very closely, it's kinda just "get your shit done, and oh we're paying you for 40hr/week"

>not Piketty's Capital

Attached: HtXBCcP.png (600x800, 693K)

Where should I move after I get my cs degree? Colder climates and US cities not full of insufferable faggots strongly preferred. I was thinking Raleigh or Seattle desu
I'd stay in the Midwest, but here in the rust belt, you get paid less, there's less jobs, and there's a shit ton of crime and crsckheads wandering the streets.

do they increase the number everytime they write an article about it?
I remember headings saying "400k google salary" a week ago. Boy, (((these))) (((reporters))) sure like (((exaggerating numbers)))

dog eat dog. whatever. not news. any company could tell some higher up company to fuck off like many did in the 80's and 90's by buying out talent and outperforming their competition. if your pockets can't afford it today too bad.

>not full of insufferable faggots
>Seattle
You're kidding right

Attached: 1502245984061.jpg (2455x1640, 1.01M)

>live in spain
>16k a year

>muh soda

Attached: 1500057621562.png (1248x728, 47K)

I‘ve seen indians work for 30k.

fuck off marques

Yeah all you have to do is be a black guy and talk in an annoying hipster way with unnecessary pauses every couple of words and have a 4K camera pan around your overpriced studio

Where I used to work it was just do your work.
Get it done and the rest of the day is yours.
One guy spent most afternoons at the pool, swimming laps. It relaxed him.

It's been too long, friend.

Attached: W3Jxad3.gif (320x240, 1.41M)