Outdated hardware

Outdated hardware

Pic related, haven't used one in years

Attached: dvd drive.jpg (1500x936, 197K)

i have several PATA DVD burners and PATA hard drives, i cant use them, i figure when i have a yard sale i will put them in it asking a dollar each,

Have a Zendrive now
Love it, doesn't destroy my RGB window build, but still allows to play old games
Lays under my tower almost not noticeable

>RGB window build,

Attached: 1359293887237.gif (500x288, 495K)

I have mine right next to me.
Haven't used it in 10 years

Attached: 1520485867710.png (640x1100, 1.11M)

Last time I used optical media was probably to install Starcraft in like 2014. Before that was installing Diablo in 2011 or so.

No optical drives on my current PC because there's no need.

I used a dvd burner a few weeks ago when I couldn't get W10 installer to boot from USB stick on a legacy bios system.

use one every other day

Bought a cheap one when I built my latest PC. it's helpful if you have some old movies or games in CD/DVD format but yeah they're pretty much obsolete nowadays.

> haven't used one in years

Tried to use mine a few years back but only the dvd laser still work. Cd laser is dead

I tried to use them recently to copy pictures from old CDs to my PC,
but some files (larger ones) were just a bunch of NUL characters (when I open them with Notepad++) and other files were fine.
Is that normal or I fucked up when I burnt those files 10 years ago?

Same, used to use them to boot shit but flash drives are more convenient now.

No, most of them haven't used one in years, either.

>outdated
Only because y'all let it be. You bought too hard into the "digital is the way of the future" meme, vidya publishers stopped including discs in their packaging for physical sales because it was cheaper, and now here we fucking are.

I hope you're proud of yourselves. At least I still use mine for vidya pre-2015.

Worst build of JayzTwoBenjamins

why motherboards still include these shits is beyond me

Attached: 1200px-PCI_Slots_Digon3.jpg (1200x763, 222K)

There are tons of PCI cards that do useful work.
Many applications don't require PCIe bandwidths.

if my new PC had a regular PCI slot i would still be using a wifi card connected to a long range yagi beam, so now i have to use an old linksys with dd-wrt as a client bridge to get wifi to my back office

if you ever need to put wifi on a desktop PC dont get a USB wifi adapter, those things will cause your PC to lock up, it took me a while to figure out what was causing it