Anyone used one of these as a daily driver? How safe is it for the HDD both in terms of foreign objects and heat...

Anyone used one of these as a daily driver? How safe is it for the HDD both in terms of foreign objects and heat? Doesn't look like there's any cooling.

Attached: 71M6yT43Z5L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 195K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Thermaltake-Drives-Docking-Station-ST0014U/dp/B002MUYOLW
static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf]
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have one with an SSD and it’s been running for years with no issues.

>WD10EZEX
ultra comfy

80% of the drive is outside, why would you need any cooling?

same here, I have 3 of these cheap docks because I record video straight to ssd media and then just stick them in there to backup and edit off. never had any problems

his house doesnt have air i guess

>daily driver
is this meant to be a serious thread?

would be more worried about the power brick.

running a ironwolf 3tb, been running it for 24/7 use for a few months without issue. make sure to get one with a jmicron controller

Own one for archive video and don't really have any issue when using them for few years now. Won't see any major issue when using it.

The best, two bay = ultra useful

amazon.com/Thermaltake-Drives-Docking-Station-ST0014U/dp/B002MUYOLW

Attached: 0002056_0.jpg (250x200, 8K)

show me the smart data please

Pic related is safer in terms of foreign objects. It won't move or tilt as easily, eh.'

But fully enclosed & RAID5/6 ed is what you really want for starters if your data needs to be safe. Or replicated / distributed with erasure coding, cloud style.

Attached: 4830_P_1435361330671.jpg (800x800, 79K)

These things are supposed to be used as hot-swap bays/HDD debugging/Quick testing devices, not main storage.

You'd have to be retarded to leave this shit sitting exposed on your desktop. I swear I don't know why people are so retarded when it comes to their personal data.

Have a 2 bay one with clone function.
Using it for occasional backups with Clonezilla though.

fucking Galactus can't into hdd docks

underrated but appreciated
Hi /co/

i'm not from /co/
i just watched fantastic four when on TV i was younger
:3

or backup.

You simple minded anons with your base lvl ideas.. tsk tsk tsk.
THIS is what you need:

Attached: 4817_P_1437500412163.jpg (800x800, 55K)

I hate when people say "daily driver"

Contribute or leave. Your snarky sarcasm isn't required.
>facetious cunt

temps in this thing ?

>chuck disk in
>backup data
>remove disk

backup isn't main storage obviously
OP said using them as a daily hdd

They are HDD's, what the fuck are talking about cooling? That's for the cpu

Can confirm

Depending on how sensitive the data is. Either way best practice would dictate that drives should be mounted in their intended bays, to allow intake air to pass over them, or a water block.

>He cools his hard drives.
Dude, I've never seen one go beyond 40°C even in my shit builds from 2000.
There's no heat problem with HDDs. If there was one, you'd start seeing radiators around them.

everyday use, would be better I think

Either way I've seen
>daily driver
often referred to operating systems

/thread
Thinking that a drive requires cooling is the absolute state of Jow Forums

Responding to my own post, but actually, just thinking about it, Hard drives are always placed between the air intake in towers.
For no reason. Actually, it's pretty bad for components that actually need cooling.
Maybe that's why OP thinks they need cool air or something.

Obviously just not using enough drives.

Attached: 6104_P_1463514526594.jpg (800x800, 81K)

Used to have 6, before 2 infamous seagate 3TB gave up.
Not a problem even in Summer.

No, not for no reason. Each drive is 6-10W. Even small 5-stacks of them get quite warm unless directly in air flow.

Perhaps I'm taking your bait, but if not, then consider if the drive is a HDD, that would indicate a hard disk is present. That would also mean that there is a hard disk spinning at 7200rpm, if it's in fact a standard 3.5" HDD. A spinning hard disk at 72000rpm, that is constantly being written too and reading electromagnetic data, will undoubtedly generate heat. This is why you'll typically find HDD bay's near the front of desktop chassis's, near the intake fans. HDD get hot and require cooling, Jamal.

iirc, there was some "study" (very losely used) on how cold drives fail faster
they are designed to run at a certain temp

you must /b/ lost

1/10 for reply

enterprise drives can tolerate heat since they're built better.

your shitty consumer seagate drive will be dead in 1 year if it's kept at 50C+

Idk, I had them in 2 stacks of 3 in my 850D, but placed the second stack on the floor of the tower, instead of on top, so they wouldn't disturb the airflow.
But realistically, you'd have to be using all drives at the same time, for prolonged periods in 40°C ambiant for it to not be a problem either.

Makes want to rip the drive off during I/O operations...

Attached: CRINGLINK.png (1500x1500, 1.02M)

I use one for my 10TB Ironwolf drive so I can backup my raidz1 fileserver.

Why would you use it as a "daily driver" though?

This is true. Source is Google.

inb4 watercooling my ssds.

>There's no heat problem with HDDs
probably because you only have 1~3 HDD's in your tower.

Try having 8 in there running 24/7 all running under heavy load(think RAID). The heat builds up

You're a retard

here is your (you)

comfy mechanical daily driver, OP

Attached: how can she slap.gif (402x282, 1.23M)

Well, we're not talking servers here.
We're talking normal HDDs under normalfag operation.
As I said, I had 6 in my tower. But they were shut down 95% of the time, and only used when I access it.

Used to have 16.

You would not have trouble in a gaymen case, but 6 3.5" drives with minimum mounting distances and no air flow except convection means too hot.

OTOH with gaymen airflow towers that got like 3+ fans on the case pulling air across the drives, yea, no problem. You can run like 20 drives on a 4U case with 2 mid sized fans.

If you think that a HDD doesn't require some level of cooling, you're either baiting or need to read a fucking book and get your facts straight. Enjoy your failed drives you fucking noobs. Only geek squad would imply such faggotry.

>Jamal
No I'm not a black man, thanks for the information regarding HDD's heating and possibly exploding in your face. I'm always scared of this happening because of it's relevance to my life.

Well, I do my builds right nowadays, but there was a time where I didn't even screw the fuckers, didn't have air intake at all, or some qhit like it.
I never had an issue with hard drives beside faulty 3TB Seagates. In fact, I'm pretty sure my 40GB drive from 2000 would still work if I could connect the PATA connector. Have a bunch of 120GB running since 2005 in other machines. 4 1TB/640GB/500GB samsung from ~2007-8 still going strong, throwing no SMART red flags whatsoever.
Actually, I don't really care about storage, as I could re-download all this media in no time if need be.

>A 2007 study published by Google suggested very little correlation between failure rates and either high temperature or activity level. Indeed, the Google study indicated that "one of our key findings has been the lack of a consistent pattern of higher failure rates for higher temperature drives or for those drives at higher utilization levels.".[15] Hard drives with S.M.A.R.T.-reported average temperatures below 27 °C (81 °F) had higher failure rates than hard drives with the highest reported average temperature of 50 °C (122 °F), failure rates at least twice as high as the optimum S.M.A.R.T.-reported temperature range of 36 °C (97 °F) to 47 °C (117 °F).[14]
This is why I keep my drives around 40°C.

haha that just gave me an idea they should do an advertising campaign where its like the "show me the carfax" but instead like when buying a used hard drive you can be like "show me the SMART data"

>exploding in your face
I see you have a black mans rational, or chad's sarcasm.
>implying heat generated by a HDD would result in combustion
HDD failure caused by overheating is all I'm getting at, Chadwick Tyrone

If you buy a used HDD without seeing the smart data and a summary of a checking of all sectors before buying you're beyond retarded.
However you'd still be retarded even if you had that information, because who the fuck buys used HDDs in 2018 and beyond?

>study published by Google
Case closed

I forgot Google is the authority of the internet and well liked and respected around here.

>attacking the source instead of the data
I accept your concession.

>>attacking
Where is he attacking? Dafuq? Fuck off, verizon shill.

yeah, why trust a company that works with millions of drives and has some of the best data collection and analysis tools and experts

Attached: anon.jpg (300x200, 13K)

>attacking
Semantics user
>concession
If it makes you feel better

There isn't a one size fits all solution. Varying form factors, applications, environmental conditions, should be considered.

>Trusting google

>Implying we all have data center level architecture in our houses

Wow, words. I meant he was physically assaulting Google HQ. What's so hard to understand?

This is true. It's also true Google has a very nice sample size here. Consistent environment also makes the results more reliable.

Anyways, this has to be bait? No?
Even Lunix shuts down unused drives after 5 minutes.
Are you all thinking your drives are running full speed all the fucking time?

>physically assaulting Google HQ
wow mate no one said anything about physical assault. Don't worry, your safe space is safe from
>assault

>Consistent environment also makes the results more reliable
Yeah if were discussing data retention on an enterprise level. I'd venture to guess OP is a home user, not working with data center level architecture.

We can muddy the waters with the aforementioned google study. Simply put HDD's generate heat and absolutely require some level of cooling, generally speaking.

>More than one hundred
thousand disk drives were used for all the results pre-
sented here. The disks are a combination of serial and
parallel ATA consumer-grade hard disk drives, ranging
in speed from 5400 to 7200 rpm, and in size from 80 to
400 GB. All units in this study were put into production
in or after 2001. The population contains several models
from many of the largest disk drive manufacturers and
from at least nine different models.

Who are you quoting?

>consumer-grade
Why do they do this?

on/off cycles damage drives more than having them running all the time.

Most consumer grade HDD's are larger than the drives in this out of date study. This may have been more accurately applicable to hardware then. Today's HDD's typically range from 500GB to 1TB and above, bringing a whole new slew of shenanigans. Larger drives are more prone to failure, generally speaking, and would most certainly require some level of cooling.

Attached: 522323498709.jpg (319x360, 32K)

He's probably from

This

I could be wrong, but I don't think studies have found a significant difference on that point.

Hence why OSes do it by default.

>studies
ok enough with studies unless we're going to be citing actual sources that aren't over 10 years old.

this "common sense" is for brainlet ricers who put water cooling on their case fans

satenic dubs

Attached: 1509561550837.jpg (640x640, 77K)

Can't wait for some retard posting his RGB watercooling loop going over his HDDs.

No rice and water cooling is ridiculous outside of benchmark applications or over clocking. To imply that HDD's do not produce heat is the highest level of amateur. You seriously need to study up on heat and failure rate among HDD's, Jr.

Not sure whether mere drive size results in different failure rates due to something like temperature, but unless there are other studies suggesting otherwise I'm going to lean on what the evidence available seems to be pointing at.

>my anecdotes are good for all time vs a 10 year old actual scientific study by professionals in real world production environment

This isn't /b/

nobody gives a fuck about that here

from googles "holy paper" on disk drives [static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf]
basically its rather inconclusive, partly due to the fact that enterprise HDDs are made to run continuously

Attached: power_cycles.png (401x292, 27K)

you goal post moving faggot of course hard drives generate heat the person i was responding to said that they need cooling which they dont

I'm just saying that HDD's have changed a lot since that study was conducted. Rendering that study less relevant. Has nothing to do with my anecdotes or me at all.

Again, HDD's generate heat and require some level of cooling. For the 100000000th time, that's all I'm saying. Not a fucking water block or anything overkill like that. I'm referring to the HDD bay locations in most desktop chassis's and the fact that their almost always right behind the intake fans.

You're not one of those that takes the side window off for better cooling?

>generate heat but require no cooling
You're a special type of stupid aren't you
>goal post moving
Pardon the elaboration on a discussion

HDDs have barely changed from 2010.
We went from 3TB to 5-6 for consumers.
It's OK because nobody but pedos use that amount of storage anyways.

increased failure rate increased by 2%. Can you fucking imagine the consequences?

how have they changed a lot? its still just magnetic storage.

They will surely never be the same.

The study cited was dealing with HDD from 2007 not 2010. Yes, there have been significant changes in HDD's. 3TB standard consumer HDD's in 2010 is a bit of a stretch.
>nobody but pedos use that amount of storage anyways
Audio/Video producers, journalists, CAD designers, etc. There are plenty of legit reasons for local storage, outside of being a petter ass.

Come on, I keep Downloading medias at full resolution and still don't run into storage problem 2 years from buying my 5GB Toshiba.
Actually, let me check:2.65TB left. And I keep Downloading 1080p anime and movies.
Never deleted anything, just waiting for OS to complain.

Form factor and size mostly

I think we're going a little off topic. My whole point this whole time is, HDD's generate heat and require some level of cooling. If there aren't at least minimal steps taken to cool a HDD, then overheating can occur, resulting in failure. No, I'm not saying ricey water blocks.

Modern desktop chassis typically place their HDD bay's behind the intake fans for a reason.

Well, the level of cooling they require is about a fart a day.

I can tell you right now that the noise will drive you mad

agree to disagree

applications, environmental conditions, configuration, should be considered. There isn't a one size fits all solution. Cooling is required. typically, that is what's taken into account and why form factors exist, and are configured in the manner of their design.

There is a whole lot of
>smart phone in water
>smart phone in microwave
>delete system 32
going on in this bread

WD Red masterrace

Attached: test.png (345x346, 14K)