Does this have any actual benefits over Linux?

Does this have any actual benefits over Linux?

Attached: hurd.jpg (666x160, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qtucUd9FauU?t=31s
groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/fa.linux.kernel/gHQADdVcPXo/zkhlC0WW9qYJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtu.be/qtucUd9FauU?t=31s

Many, but it's a piece of shit. Try Sculpt OS or Haiku OS. These are proper microkernels that are fast as fuck.

No.
All the benefits are purely theoretical and negated by the fact it's still x86_32-only and needs Linux drivers to barely work.

is it, dare I say, Linux/HURD ?

groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/fa.linux.kernel/gHQADdVcPXo/zkhlC0WW9qYJ
>Newsgroups: fa.linux.kernel
>From: "Theodore Ts'o"
>Subject: Re: [OT] HURD vs Linux/HURD
>Original-Message-ID:
>Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 02:57:11 GMT
>Message-ID:
>
>On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 04:03:55PM +0100, John Bradford wrote:
>> > Given that large chunks of HURD come from Linux, please refer to it as
>> > Linux/HURD.
>>
>> What HURD code comes from Linux? GNU/Mach uses code from Linux, but
>> not HURD as far as I know.
>
>As far as I know, HURD is using ext2fs code. It should definitely be
>called HURD/Linux. :-)
>
> - Ted

Kek

No.

It is GNU/Hurd.

fuck off stallman

Newer microkernel design.

None.
If you're interested in microkernel-based OSs, look into seL4, Minix3, HelenOS, Genode, Fuchsia.
Don't bother with HURD, that's based on GNU Mach, first generation, pre-L4 garbage.

Gets the added bonus of much slower

Less confusion.
People don't say "Hurd" when referring to an entire operating system.

It will become even more irrelevant once Google's Fuchsia comes out. Casual open source fans (most open source fans), will flock to Fuchsia because they adore Google for some fucking reason. Only a fraction of the Stallmanists will continue to give a shit and the rest will keep posting arch screen fetches.

Man, I hate Google.

Literally nobody is under the impression that Hurd is anything but a dead project, it barely hits 50 commits this year, meanwhile Linux probably gets more than that every minute.

Yes but the developers went full retard and asked people to not contribute because they want to rewrite it again, they use it only for academic dickwaving.

>and the rest will keep posting arch screen fetches.
What's wrong with Arch?

Attached: 1510803885745.png (1200x400, 61K)

He expects fuschia to replace android the same day as it's finally ready.
In the real world, it will appear on IoT devices years before it makes a dent in Android.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as HURD, is in fact, GNU/HURD, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus HURD. HURD is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today by virgins and communists is often called “HURD”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a HURD, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
HURD is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. HURD is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with HURD added, or GNU/HURD. All the so-called “HURD” distributions are really distributions of GNU/HURD.

Attached: cantwakeup.png (1281x1061, 812K)

epic

ummm actually its GNU/TURD

HURD is the future of kernel design.

And it always will be.

less known exploits maybe?

It's GNU Hurd, like GNU wget it's part of the GNU OS.

GNU/Linux/Hurd

fpbp