Would it be fun to make my own DOS-like game?

Would it be fun to make my own DOS-like game?
What language/APIs should I use?

Attached: serveimage.png (640x400, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

liballeg.org/old.html
liballeg.org/stabledocs/en/allegro.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anybody?

"dos-like" is pretty vague, there were all kinds of games for dos, everything from alley cat to quake

Pic related is what I want. Maybe minus the GUI for simplicity.
Some first person thing and you press buttons.

I believe most MS-DOS games are written in assembly language on the bare metal (meaning they only go through DOS if they need to use some DOS-specific function like accessing a disk).

Yyyyeah but I only """""know"""" C and C++. I'm just referencing DOS as a graphics standpoint.

if you want to make a legit DOS game then learn C And use allegro, version 4 (version 5 is the latest version and doesn't support DOS anymore)
liballeg.org/old.html
liballeg.org/stabledocs/en/allegro.html

fair warning, there is a large learning curve to doing things this way, if you just want to get something up and running quick, use python and pygame

Great, thanks. As a whole, I'm interested in core concepts. What are 'graphics' and how are they drawn. What's a pixel, anyways?
That sort of thing.

>DOS-like game?
Please leave.

gay

Read Mathematics for 3d game programming and computer graphics, and Fundamentals of Computer Graphics.

Thanks pal

Incorrect. Most use an HLL of some kind, typically Pascal, C, or C++.

Write real mode assembly using BIOS interrupts for graphics (you can also just write to memory though)

That's a very broad question. Do you mean a real mode 16-bit game or a 32-bit protected mode game? And what video and sound would you use?

Go for it OP, I believe in you.

raw SDL's 2d or pygame
don't bother with low-level lang, go with some scripting
art is the hardest part

this is what you need.
It's the best introductory book about DOS game programming.

Attached: Capture.jpg (589x767, 57K)

>2100 pages
>21 days
Thanks, anything for people with self-diagnosed ADHD?

yeah breakcore

Huh? i mean books

Take a look at ZDoom

>Incorrect. Most use an HLL of some kind, typically Pascal, C, or C++.
meh that depends of the era and the dev

>dos-like
This isn't a genre or a description. It's the equivalent of saying PSP-like or Linux-like.

>PSP-like
Low-poly, low-res, low-FOV. Many animations and flashy graphics to compensate.
>Linux-like
Nogames

Assembly language was pretty rare after the early 80s. Remember that PC compatibles were 16-bit machines not 8-bit like an Apple II, so they had enough memory space to support compilers.

That book literallly can't be found anywhere digitally.

jealous boomer

I wonder who'd volunteer to scan 2100 pages

you gotta buy it then

Eduke32, there's even a build2 engine that may exist sometime in the future but eduke32 is your go to.

fuckin rollercoaster tycoon (+2)

SFML

Turbo C/C++ had all its own api bullshit