For a Linux noob...

For a Linux noob, should I start with something easy like Ubuntu or dive deeply in something like Gentoo if I want to learn? What's the best approach?

Attached: Capture2.png (799x594, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

itsfoss.com/which-ubuntu-install/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I started with Ubuntu, but got bored after two weeks and installed Arch. I like the up to date software and rolling release. Find a distro that suits your needs.

Install Gentoo.

I want to inject for a moment so hard right now.

Attached: 1518203335397.png (1000x820, 1.13M)

Everyone starts with something like Ubuntu. If you start with something like Gentoo, you won't know what you're doing and you'll soon find yourself wishing you had just stuck with Ubuntu.

+1

Or Mint.

If you feel like you can take on a challenge you should start with a minimal installation of Debian and work your way up from there. If you want a comfy experience, start with Ubuntu. Gentoo has a lot of stuff that's specific to that particular distribution and won't be useful anywhere else and it's advantages (especially when you take in the time needed for compilation as a factor) are debatable at best.

Just use windows

xubuntu

Go this route:

Mint
Debian
Arch
Gentoo

arch because the installation alone forces you to learn a lot. If you're good troubleshooting and googling by yourself you get it done in an hour or so with gnome or whichever bloat you like

skip arch its shit

mint
debian
gentoo
void

Fuck you
>Void
>>>/reddit/ is this way newfriend

start with something easy like Ubuntu, beginning with Gentoo will make you hate Linux forever

>void after gentoo
Uh, sweetie. That would be Linux from scratch
>>>/reddit/

start with arch, and try to not break it sometime after using it, if you think your improving then go do lfs directly, else go back to arch and repeat. gentoo is no-hand-holding-mode.

and when you do break arch, because you will, find out how to fix it. or start over

Start with something relatively easy and live in it for a while. That's how I learned as a noob.
You can always install something "deeper" later.

start with something easy, ubuntu's good
get a hobby that'll get you tinkering, ricing is popular
that should be enough to get the ball rolling and have you distro-hopping and learning shit along the way til you give up and settle down
there's no happy ending, only broken people

Start with Mint or Fedora, then after a few months of ricing jump into something hipster on a VM or spare laptop. Don't try Gentoo/Arch from the start, you'll give up.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1530808328174.jpg (625x330, 28K)

>he thinks the last step is the one that actively requires the most manual maintenance at all times
The last step is Ubuntu or Debian, brainlets

fuck off to plebbit

ultrasonically this

This. You'll just stop caring about tinkering and muh rice after a while.

I also started using linux a little while ago (4 days to be exact).
I went with manjaro and I'm not seeing myself using windows ever again.

I have to use Windows at work and it's like a mini holiday after coming home and being able to use Linux instead. The only thing Windows has going on is Windows-only software and that doesn't even come from Microsoft. If you don't need any then you're lucky.

>void
>homepage touts using BSD shit as a positive
No thanks, you keep your contributor covenant randi harper bullshit away from me.

me too bro i really got the shakes

manjaro kde

probably your easiest and best bet to make sure things ACTUALLY FUCKING WORK and don't spontaneously break themselves after you get done installing is CentOS.

if you want to be a real man, though, go for FreeBSD. the install instructions are REALLY GOOD and i guarantee it will work way better and without as meany headaches than any linux, if you just follow the effing instructions

IMO its best to start with something newb friendly and just fuck around with doing stuff on it (learning bash, customization etc.) before moving to bigboy(tm) linux

One thing I worry about occasionally, is fucking everything up when I go in and change stuff.

Right now, Atom flickers when it repaints, (because lmao electron), but I feel like if I dive down the hole of trying to fix it, I'm just gonna do something stupid like uninstalling my dwm and not know how to get it back.

Hell, I stupidly ran `apt upgrade nano` and it updated GRUB. I was worried my PC wouldn't boot the next day.

Just start with something easy like Ubuntu, you can learn as much or as little as you'd like in just about any distro. Don't listen to the people saying you need something like Arch or Gentoo to learn. You'd just be copy-pasting from the wiki anyway, not much to be learned from that.

Attached: 1522108372632.jpg (1200x955, 269K)

Learning will be done on the command line. What you should do is put arch in a virtual machine and install it using the arch wiki's guide, then follow a tutorial for linux command line and bash, and whatever things you do on windows or macandfries, learn to do the same on arch gnu/linux. Now switch to gentoo if you want to do that and you'll know how to go about it or if you've gotten comfortable with arch you can handle most desktop user linux distros anyway.

>bored
Wtf do you get bored of? It's an Operating System... if you waste all your time fucking with it, you've defeated the purpose of owning a computer which is to get work done.

The point is to emulate until you can do it yourself. If the user doesn't pay attention he won't catch on, but not everybody is nearly that stupid or unmotivated as you, jeb. Ubuntu teaches nothing except how to make your OS look like crap and user over-protectiveness as good design feature, basically windows with a different shell.

My list of good beginner GNU/Linux distros:
- Ubuntu/Lubunut/Xubuntu/etc.
(itsfoss.com/which-ubuntu-install/)
- Debian
- Mint
- Elementary
- Manjaro

But remember the beginner part of any GNU/Linux lies in the installation of the OS itself. After the install you can do whatever you want with any of these distros.

Just don't start with Gentoo or Arch. You'll end up hating it. And us. And the world.

this. there is no reason to use l*nux in 2010+8

Attached: 1514373647325.jpg (193x193, 8K)

there's no reason to use windows in 2019-1

once you grow up, stop caring about /gee/'s opinion, and realize that your distro doesn't matter, you'll probably just go back to ubuntu anyway

I started with debiab and im fine desu

devuan

No ones forcing him to use the GUI tools installed over terminal commands if he installs something easy like Ubuntu. My point being that he should spend his time familiarizing himself with the tools rather than worrying about what distro hes using. If you don't even know the advantages of using a certain distro why bother?

Start with Debian. It's easy enough to start with and easy enough to dive into working details.

>literally the same as systemd apt-pinned to -1

aside from the fact that a lot of actually useful software is written for WIndows, and wine/mono are far from being a perfect emulators (Word macros don't work, certain .Net apps come out with garbled and slow GUI etc.)

Start with whatever you want, but do it on a virtual machine. That's the real way.

This or MX Linux, pretty comfy OS.

it's all same shit. pick arch or debian for best community support, every dumb shit you want to ask about is already answered on the first result of google

Install LInux Mint 19 if you want something that Just Werks with sane defaults you don't have to screw with, to make the computer do what it's designed to do with application software.

If you have nothing better to do with your time, and you liek tinkering, you can always install GENTOO on a nonproductive machine to experiment.