Laptops manufactured after 2011 don't need power buttons. They are completely unnecessary and serve no purpose today

Laptops manufactured after 2011 don't need power buttons. They are completely unnecessary and serve no purpose today.
Prove me wrong.

Attached: power button.png (1920x1080, 954K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-hFYwmFRTUM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how else can you restart the computer without waiting for the OS to boot?

pretty convenient to have a physical dedicated button to set to sleep or hibernate

>windows hangs
>remove battery instead
>battery is soldered into the laptop

>being this level of retarded
jesus fucking christ

- Power on the computer by opening the lid.
- Put it to sleep by closing the lid.
- Turn the computer off by clicking "Power down" or whatever the OS equivalent is
- Forcing the computer to shut off can be relegated to a key combo.
Checks out.

How would you turn it on?

Like you would on a Chromebook or a MacBook.
Just open the screen.

>Power on the computer by opening the lid.
Okay
>Want to clean the screen
>Computer turns on
Amazing. So courageous.
Read up.

Or even
>Laptop in a backpack
>Lid opened slightly
>Arrive with laptop discharged

Either through a hotkey or through shutting the lid while it's in the bootup process.

Yeah, but it's not much more convenient than just closing the lid.

Forced shutdowns can be moved to a ctrl-alt-del-style hotkey.
Holding the power button for 8 seconds doesn't always work, anyway.

Not an argument.

literally this,
how the fuck are you supposed to turn the fucker off when you can't remove the battery or even have a power button anymore.
The absolute fucking state of Jow Forums

>>Want to clean the screen
>>Computer turns on
>Amazing. So courageous.
Computers don't take that much time or energy to boot up. Just turn it back off and keep the lid open.
Several computer models already power on when the lid is opened and nobody but you has ever complained about it.

>Laptop in a backpack
>Lid opened slightly
>Arrive with laptop discharged
That has never happened in the history of carrying laptops in backpacks. It should be in a case, anyway, you neanderthal.

Keyboard. Shortcut.

>windows is completely frozen
>try keyboard shortcut to turn it off
>doesn't work because windows is frozen
>cannot remove battery or even have a power button anymore
>buy new notebook instead
you dense motherfucker

99% of the time I use my laptop the lid is closed.

>Just turn it back off
Without the button? I guess I could use the OS menu, but that's inconvenient.
More importantly, it shouldn't fucking boot if I don't want it to.
> It should be in a case
Hahahaha. Let me buy additional carrying bag, while we're at it. Who the fuck want wants a portable laptop that you can just throw in a backpack and go.

If they can make the power button work despite the OS being hung up, they can make a shortcut work as well. It's already been done.
Besides:
>Windows is completely frozen
>Battery is soldered on
>try to hold the power button to shut it off
>nothing happens
Happens all the time.

Either way, you wouldn't have to buy a new notebook. Just wait for it to die. But that's not the point. You dense motherfucker.

OK, so implement a protocol in the OS that keeps the computer on and awake when powering an external monitor. Laptops already do that, anyway.

Keyboard dies, boom, you can't turn your PC on anymore.

Good example of planned obsolescence with apple laptops since you cant exactly replace the keyboard.

>I guess I could use the OS menu, but that's inconvenient.
There's a virtual shutdown button right on the lockscreen, no menus needed.

>Hahahaha. Let me buy additional carrying bag, while we're at it.
Suit yourself. Destroy your laptop, I don't care. I'm not your mother.
Even still, without the casing, laptops don't open far enough inside backpacks for them to stay on and awake long enough to completely discharge the battery by the time you get to your destination. Just doesn't happen.

>>try to hold the power button to shut it off
>>nothing happens
try buying hardware that doesn't suck

>Keyboard dies, boom, you can't turn your PC on anymore.
You turn the PC on by opening the lid. Keyboard not required.
Also, external keyboards.

What do you do if the power button breaks?

>try to hold the power button to shut it off
>nothing happens
this has never happened before. stop lying user.
>Just wait for it to die
oh boy I sure need to give this presentation at the meeting but I guess I can wait the 9 hours it takes for the battery to drain.

Well if that's going to be your response, there's no argument against axing the power button.

>Screen as power button
Then you wouldn't be able to force a shutdown if the laptop ever froze because Wangblows fucking up.

You would rather buy a new laptop than wait for your current one to die?

Yes, you could. You could do it with a keyboard shortcut that isn't affected by hangups.
They already exist.

I'm glad you're too dumb to start a laptop company

Phones don't need volume rockers anymore.
Everything can be accomplished with a touch-sensitive power button.

Prove me wrong.

Attached: 1432326133814.jpg (413x395, 73K)

>You could do it with a keyboard shortcut that isn't affected by hangups.
So a power button?

>Keyboard dies
Enjoy your useless brick till you change the keyboard.

>Holding the power button for 8 seconds doesn't always work, anyway
I've never had a situation where that didn't immediately kill the computer, no matter how new or old. And I don't trust any regular keyboard combination to be freeze-proof

>SysRq key works in windows
good one

Attached: do something about it bitch.jpg (650x800, 68K)

>not an argument.

>So a power button?
Effectively, yes. But without the physical button.

>Enjoy your useless brick till you change the keyboard.
Not necessary, just pointing it out. It's not a complete irreparable fate.

>SysRq key works in windows
Really? how many years has it been and they don't have a working equivalent yet?

Windows doesn't freeze because of sandboxing, anyway. Programs freeze but the mouse still moves around and the Start menu is still fully functional. It's been this way since Windows 7.
Fucking summerfags.

>they can make a shortcut work as well.
A shortcut is a software solution and relies on the OS not being frozen to register the input. The power key is a hardware solution, it just cuts power

>Even still, without the casing, laptops don't open far enough inside backpacks for them to stay on and awake long enough to completely discharge the battery by the time you get to your destination.
Considering my laptop never falls asleep, that would be a huge problem.

probably since dos but I looked up what the key does and as far as any windows OS made in the last two decades, none. I'm fairly certain that pause and break also do nothing, but I'll go use my google powers.

Or you know, just add a dedicated power button and avoid every trouble possible that implies removing it?

Hope you patented this because that's definitely retarded enough to make it into the next Apple product gen.

This.
>rub your thumb upwards against the power button to turn the volume up
>down for down
>sideways for virtual ring switcher functionality
>press the button for normal power button functionality
>press twice to invoke the voice assistant
>press thrice is mappable to your own action
>press and hold while swiping up from the bottom of the screen to take a screenshot
>press and hold to de/activate.
There. No more volume rockers.

You laugh but we're already 90% there. Most people don't even touch the power button anymore because the OS never freezes (although programs do) and the laptop powers on automatically anyway.

Its already a thing, they are built in the keyboard now and if the keyboard somehow gets slightly damaged the laptop bricks till you change the keyboard and probably where you connect it since its likely that it will be damage from starbucks coffee.

I have yet to see a computer without a power button.
FYI the one in your picture has a power button, it doesn't make it not a power button just because it's integrated into the keyboard.

What problem the lack of power button solves exactly?

>blatant lies
You're above this. Come on.

being minimalistic in the wrong way

It's not just about solving problems. This is a philosophical issue; it's about removing elements that are 100% unnecessary, and the power button is headed down that road.

hey man from now on all replies will contain the words ">tfw boomer" every time you load a thread automatically
literally all posts in Jow Forums contain the word boomer somehow so why cry about this goy? enjoy it
just delete it manually if you don't like it bro lol just b urself

>a field full of strawmen

I'm pretty sure this whole thread is a troll thread, but some of those
>theres laptops that power on when you open them
replyies seem genuine.
WTF?
I have never seen such a thing (probably because it's retarded), which idiot manufacturer does that?
Or is it just boomers that don't understand the difference between a machine that's off and one that's suspended?

Allows for an extra button, for a different and more important functionality.

So, how about you remove your dick?
Pretty sure its 100% unnecessary for you…

>which idiot manufacturer does that?
Apple.
And every Chromebook ever made since the CR-48.

Pretty much only Windows laptops don't do it.

Couldn't be any more fucking wrong.

>personal insults
Are you out of arguments already?

>tfw boomer
if you don't like my """"strawmen"""" post then don't look at it bro lol it's that simple

I honestly don't even remember the last time I touched the power button.

End of the thread?

Are you retarded?
The power button is not a mechanical system. It's a button, just like every other button on the fucking thing, which is why you can use it to only put the computer to sleep without shutting it down.

it's my first post itt, i just found it fitting.

Oh. Well, in that case, good job.

Attached: thumbs up.jpg (480x469, 17K)

–just as you don't remember the last time you touched a vagina
(when your mother pressed you out of hers…)

So it's settled, then. The power button is 100% unnecessary and shall be removed from future laptop models.

/thread
*bangs gavel*

Power buttons belong on the top right of the right side of laptops, directly horizontal to the charge cable location on most laptops. Who the fuck uses "Kensington" brand kensington locks except resalers?

Thanks.
I'm on a roll now

Attached: 20yoboomer.jpg (2687x2319, 1.38M)

3/10 needs work.

if your pc is ever frozen to the point ctrl alt delete isn't doing anything, it is helpful

…Just as your dick does.

Read the thread before posting.

Move away from the genital arena and into mother-based insults or something about being overweight.
2/10

Well, it did move into your mother, so to say, but I'm not sure in which fold I shot my load, so user, I'm probably not your father.

youtu.be/-hFYwmFRTUM

And removing the keyboard implies removing it forcefully, also $70 instead a $5-10 switch.

Shutting down computers should be illegal. You don't have anything to hide, do you?

stop acting like a retard

Oh fucking great. Another key combo to do something extremely basic that's different across every model of laptop. The goddamn joy of having to flip the fucker over, search for "[model long as fuck l15siIl] shutdown combo", then click through three articles with autoplay videos and popups that appear after 10 seconds of viewing, and finally do the finger gymnastics to hit alt+fn+F4+P

normalfags don't even use key combos for copy/paste. Making them do anything beyond whats directly in front of them will piss them off.

Eh...there's effort but you tried a bit too hard to hit all the marks. 4/10

>Rossman
Didn't even click.

>not an argument
>not really even relevant to anything in this thread

>not an argument

You shouldn't have to Google your fucking keyboard shortcuts you goddamn scrub.

Who gives a fuck about the normalfags?
Normalfags don't use keyboard nipples, but they're there.

Retard, if the OS crashed, how do you expect your window manager or whatever to process your keyboard input? You need an input directly to the UEFI layer.

>Happens all the time
I have literally, literally never seen this happen nor have I ever seen anyone saying it did. Your power button is faulty, which explains your rage at power buttons.

>Didn't even click
Of course not, it would defeat your argument. Surely you know more about macs than someone who repairs several a day for a living at semi-conductor level.

>You could do it with a keyboard shortcut that isn't affected by hangups.
>They already exist.
Proof.

Louis Rossman says a lot of shit for views. He used to be fairly credible but has recently gone off the deep end because he knows what his audience likes to hear, and will therefore repeat it over and over for the best results on his end.
He's a YouTuber. You really can't trust much of what he says. YouTubers are the extreme version of tripfags.

Laptops manufactured after 2011 don't need power buttons
>It's getting late, shut down laptop and go to bed
>Wake up the next morning and turn on laptop
>Wait, can't turn on laptop. There's no power button

Are you even trying?

Attached: 4459353701_826a3c120d.jpg (489x400, 126K)

Amazing, now I have to press three buttons controlled by the OS that is not responding instead of one that is wired directly to the power supply.

I agree with OP
Instead, there should be a huge red E-stop button that I can slam which removes any and every power source from motherboard.

>open the fucking lid
>it turns on without you having to take any extra steps
Are you even trying?

So you didn't watch that video, you're just disregarding it because you don't like him. The definition of ad hominem.
When it comes to knowledge about mac keyboards, I trust the guy who has repaired thousands over some faggot on Jow Forums.

why would you want to do that?

usecase without a user. classic programmer mentality.

>having to close and reopen lid just to start laptop
are you joking?

Most laptops that aren't running Windows activate once you open the lid. You don't need to press any buttons.

>that dude on a starbucks furiously opening and closing his mac because macOS crashed

>open the lid
>it turns on

>want to restart it?
>click "restart."

>want to shut it down?
>click "shut down."

>want to put it to sleep?
>close the fucking lid.

>I'm gonna bake a pizza tomorrow, gonna buy some sardines today
>wake up next morning and open can of sardines
>oh wait, can't turn on sardines, there's no power button

Attached: 51ZqkwU2pKL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 26K)

You can have that AND a power button for when the OS crashes. Say keyboard shortcuts again so I can laugh.

i haz a desktop with a big black power button

Since I've never owned a macbook I'm not sure if this actually happens or just a joke post

>open lid to turn on
>no longer want to use it so I press Shut Down
>don't close lid
>next time I want to boot I have to slam that shit together like a clam
>"no extra steps"
yeah a power button works better

>Either through a hotkey
Sounds like a power button to me, user

>Comparing opening a tin of sardines to turning on a laptop
stay classy, Jow Forums

Attached: 1012863.png (620x620, 318K)

IMAGINE BEING

Hotkeys are handled by the OS. If it freezes, it won't do anything. It's a retarded solution.