/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find more detailed videos on YouTube)
youtube.com/watch?v=9M2-UIwWguw
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses - e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

Overclocking
>Use PBO on Ryzen. Legacy overclocking is defunct on Ryzen 2#00X CPUs. youtube.com/watch?v=FC3fsVk9Sss

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high-end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>Only Z300 series boards can utilize fast memory with Intel

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>GPU prices have gone down
1080p
>RX 580 or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings 1080p, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 or Vega 64 /w Freesync; 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>Lock to 72fps on 144hz non-Gsync monitors with Nvidia cards to prevent tearing on more demanding games
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous:

Attached: g0gmv1a.jpg (700x525, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

es.pcpartpicker.com/list/YPhFXP
pcpartpicker.com/list/7W39GG
es.pcpartpicker.com/list/M83gP3
es.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/overall-list/#c=415,367&sort=price&page=1
newegg.com/global/es/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157759&cm_re=ASRock_AB350_Gaming_K4-_-13-157-759-_-Product
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ANIME A SHIT

This is nothing new. GCN has always scaled better into higher resolutions.
Just like how RX580 gains more over the 1060 at 1440p.
And the 290X did over the 780Ti.

Good something like "vega clock for clock (or ipc) test gamer's nexus". Vega 56 and 64 are within like 0.1% performance at the same core and memory clock.

>From what I've been reading on Newegg comments undervolting the card basically eliminates all those problems.
But it does even more on Vega56...
You put Vega 56 and 64 both at 1050mv, 1600MHz core, 1000MHz memory, and they're going to perform the same and the 56 is going to use less power.

Also keep in mind the 56 has the same compute performance of the 1080Ti, so a fuckload which isn't its bottleneck in games. It's massive overkill for current games compared to its raster performance still. The 64 is an HPC/workstation card that they're pawning off on gamers when they shouldn't have.

I agree that Vega64 for gaming should be removed from OP, but you're basically false flagging.
Undervolting it still makes its perf/watt only like 20% worse than a 1080 which isn't that signficant.

DDR5 isn't coming to consumers until 2021-2023...

Yes, it's still AMD. Though I'd get 2400G if you can since the extra 4 threads is going to bottleneck a dGPU much less. It barely bottlenecks the gtx 1080 at 1080p with fast RAM. It's on sale for $150.
2400G with an OC and fast RAM plays virtually every game at 1080p on low at least 30fps, with more optimized games at 60+ and/or on medium settings.
One exception I can think of is AC Origins, where you'd need to play at ~900p for 30+.

Rumors have actually been that there'll be another Polaris refresh on 12nm this time that's at least 20% more performance.
Not that exciting. But could be more performance and lower power consumption for slightly cheaper.

How good it is probably depends on whether it's a new tape out or not. RX580 was not a new tape out.

(YOU) A SHIT

Attached: 1509847985333.png (390x435, 211K)

>Consider StoreMi
Found the AMD shill

Should I or should I not?

google* not good.

>shilling actual good features

>Yes, it's still AMD. Though I'd get 2400G if you can since the extra 4 threads is going to bottleneck a dGPU much less. It barely bottlenecks the gtx 1080 at 1080p with fast RAM. It's on sale for $150.
>2400G with an OC and fast RAM plays virtually every game at 1080p on low at least 30fps, with more optimized games at 60+ and/or on medium settings.
>One exception I can think of is AC Origins, where you'd need to play at ~900p for 30+.
CPU wise would it hold up if a dGPU was bought later down the line? Assuming I bought a decent dGPU at some point in the future, how long could I go before I'd need to upgrade the 2400G to a beefier CPU? Thanks user.

If you can sell the old ones off, then sure.

es.pcpartpicker.com/list/YPhFXP
this is for now my final build, should I change something?

also

>no DDR5 until 2021-23
Yeah, I know. Hoping more for the 2021 side. That should also be around the point where PCIe 4 goes mainstream and AM4 dies. In just can't imagine AMD introducing a new socket without DDR5 support.

With the current prices I ain't switching to DDR4. Well, that's easily said since I don't really have a reason tondo so anyways. My current system still does everything in throw at it with ease, even at 1440p. The only thing the 290 was struggling with was the witcher 3.

is high speed 3200mhz second-hand Ram highly sought after? Or would it be better to integrate it into a new build a few years down the line?

>es.pcpartpicker.com/list/YPhFXP
What model of RX580? 'cause that 1060 is shit.
But probably the RX580. Just you should try and get a decent model either way.
Build looks good other than that PSU and case being so expensive. But if those are what you want, go for it.

I already answered that in what you greentexted.

Not that guy but it depends on your resolution, the desired fps and the games you play.

Is SLI 1080s a good option?

VEGA 64 tell me if its okay for gaming if I'm okay overspending. Are the thermals really that bad when its overclocked properly?

I'd change that case, it looks terrible and costs too much but that's up to your taste.
Also I'd go with an RX 580 but really there's not much difference between that and the 1060.
Will you be able to run that ram at that speed?

>is sli a good option
"no!"

Check benchmarks for the 1300X, its quite similar. In CPU heavy games the 2x00G will let you run into a CPU limit if you put a decent card into the system. Every low budget CPU will. But as stated earlier, if younchange the cardnjust put in a used ryzen and sell the 2200G (or put it into an HTPC for your living room). Used 6 core ryzens are cheap.

Looks like Epyc 7nm and Vega 7nm already support PCIe and on the same socket.
So Zen2 next year may actually support PCIe4 on the lanes that are coming from the SOC.

No

You're overspending.
Clock-for-clock, Vega56 and Vega64 have the same performance in games. Get the Vega56 (not the MSI or Gigabyte ones) and undervolt and overclock it.
Vega64 just runs hotter, and has a higher chance of Samsung HBM. That's it.

Better to wait for 2300X/2500X in that case, but user was looking for the dGPU to use until next generation of GPUs.

>I could settle with a 2700x/8700k and 1080 ti right now but that seems dumb.
Why do you think so? If spending that much won't hurt you then why wait? There will always be something to wait(TM) for.
>GTX 1100 in Q3/4 2018
>7nm Zen in Q1/2 2019
>AMD next gen GPU Q3/4 2019
>??? 2020

I don't have experience with Vega 64 but I fell for the Frontier meme in my work pc and runs (even for a blower card) super hot and loud.
It's a massive chip and chances are good that water cooler guy is right when he says you shouldn't really go for it.

SLI is always shit and should only ever even be considered if you can't get enough performance out of a single card. Get a 1080Ti if a single 1080 isn't cutting it.

I meant check the benchmarks to see what performance you can expect, not to buy the thing. Benchmarks with dedicated GPUs are a bit rare for raven ridge.

I mean, I know it can handle games fine today with a good dGPU, but if it's going to start choking on AAA games because of lackluster CPU performance in the near future, I feel like it'd be better to buy a stronger CPU and a weaker dGPU now and upgrade the GPU, rather than get 2400G, buy a dGPU when I have the money, and then have to upgrade my CPU next year or something because it can't handle games.

>P350X
>ugly
They look great IRL, just the stock image of them highlighting the RGB strips sucks.

How much of a cheap fuck can I be when building a Ryzen 3 2200g based system?
I already have a 520W Seasonic PSU, 8gb's of 3200mhz Ram, a cheap 120gb kingston SSD and an Mini ITX case. Should I cheap out on a cheap AM4 mini ITX mobo or invest a little more € into something substantially better?

We should also see newer AM4 boards with PCIe 4 then. GPUs don't really need it, so you could run them on PCIe 4 x8 and use the other lanes for I/O functionality I guess. AM4 only supporting one full speed M.2 slot wasn't that optimal of a choice, never understood why they did it. Yields can't have been that bad, they should've given the I/O hub more lanes. Or at least the option to do so and then bin the CPUs also in terms of available lanes.

ITX boards aren't any worse than larger form factors. If you find an ITX board that provides all the functionality you need a go for it.

>Will you be able to run that ram at that speed?
It's B-die, so I guess so.
That 1060 is just a standalone, the real model would be the G1, and for the 580, the sapphire pulse or however it's called.
Also, for the PSU and case, the PSU prices are fucked here, I had to pay 95€ for something similar some time ago for my build (this one is for a friend), and the case, it's for my friend, so yeah, it's what he wants.

I will be ordering the rest of the build meanwhile.

I'd be surprised if you can find a cheap mITX board but yes, that sounds like a plan.

Define S with R6 style upgrades when?

>Should I cheap out on a cheap AM4 mini ITX mobo or invest a little more € into something substantially better?
Form factor doesn't have much to do with how much spend. List the features you need, and get the board that has them in whatever form factor. If one form factor costs more than the other, they'll still perform the same. One consideration, however, is that, if I'm remembering correctly, the cheapest A-series AMD motherboards can't overclock, so it might be worth spending a little extra.

>paying close to 1300€ to only have a 1060

prices are fucked, and he will probably be selling the 1060 when the next gen comes out
how am I supposed to get something like a 1080 with that price it the card itself if half the budget

Pulse is way fucking better than the G1. G1 is loud and annoying garbage.

Would be nice if you could get X470 mITX but afaik the decent ones are like $170.

Many of the ITX have shitty VRMs for their price, is the thing.

I have the G1 and it's pretty silent, tho, so not considering that, the 580 would be better too, right? I want him to get the 580 actually just to test how good it is since another friend has a 1060 too.

Just did a 2200G build

Don't put less than 8gb ram (2x4) (50% loss of performance with 4gb)
Don't go below AM4 B350 (20% loss of performance without OC)

Anything else do whatever you want.

Attached: file.png (804x447, 238K)

You are wasting too much money on ram mobo case and psu. You could definitely fit a 1070ti or 1080 for that price.

pcpartpicker.com/list/7W39GG
Thoughts? I already have a case and am going to worry about storage once I have the core build down.

Should I go for a cheap ASSrock mITX am4 AB350M? Overclocking won't be needed as the system will mostly be used for web browsing and very light gaymen.

Hi Jow Forums - somewhat unrelated but I'm in need of a new microphone with noise-cancelling since my PC is super loud because of summer - moving PC away isn't really an option.

I know it could be a 5 second google, but anything anyone's had experience with that's worked for them would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Attached: IMG_20170204_151608.jpg (240x240, 12K)

Yes, but check for ram compatibility first.

You don't want your ram running at 2100mhz

I will get the case from amazon.de so it will be like 50€ less.
The cheapest 1070ti is 480€ (a blower one). Getting cheaper ram that doesn't even achieve 3200/300 stable would be like less say 40€ less, a cheaper mobo would be again 40 or 60 less, and PSU, prices are fucked, the lowest I could go for a non modular one would be 60 being lucky and not getting a chink wicked shit.
That may be 200€ less, so I would indeed get a 1070ti in there, but shit on everything else. This build has to last for like 5 years.

Want a desktop to replace my shitty broken college laptop

I have about $1500 USD and just want to play Paradox games and Rimworld

Is there a reason I shouldn't just grab the Superb tier from Logical Increments?

What about going even cheaper with an ASRock A320M Mini ITX. The mobo allows no overclocking but as I have said before, no OCing will be needed.

so my room is like 30C or 86F during summer (attic room). How fucked would my r5 2600X be?

>Logical Increments
I don't even need to look at it to know it's shit.

You will definitely get better perfomance from a 1070 ti than a 1060 + B-die. I don't know why you think a cheaper mobo/ram won't do it. About the psu 650w is too much and a 550 one is still more than enough and would be the same thing. Do what you want though.

sounds like you're fucked even without a PC, maybe hold off on the PC and invest a few hundred bucks into one of the portable ac units or even cheap and actual window ac unit

Do GPUs ever go on sale on Amazon?

I have like $300 in gift cards there but I never see any deals.

It should work fine, at least it's not a A320 (they cost the same as some B350M). Even if it's not needed it's a nice option to have just in case you want that extra performance later

I have the triple fan 1070 g1 and it's loud. Not just loud, but the pitch of the sound is annoying.
1070 is like 50% higher tdp, and it's got 50% more fans to cool it. It shouldn't be so loud.

That looks like a comparison of single channel vs dual.

Yes. They don't last long.

Anything else you'd recommend?

es.pcpartpicker.com/list/M83gP3
then what about this. Maybe another mobo?

Is there even a reason to buy HDD for a gaming PC?

>Potential Incompatibilities

It's shit.

>read OP
>find out what your games prefer AMD or Intel
>make parts list
>ask about opinions

Not unless you want to constantly hear Windows spinning it up even when its idle all day everyday forever.

HDDs are annoying as fuck.

>es.pcpartpicker.com/list/M83gP3
Seems like a lot of money for a 1070ti, and again expensive case with seemingly nothing special about it.
But looks okay otherwise.

Oh except that board. Eh. If you're getting a b350 board, get the b350-f strix.

No. I only have SSDs. Only HDD are in my NAS. I would never put poorfag HDDs in my PC. I'd rather have a weaker GPU than have HDD and have it spinning up, whining, and programs locking up waiting on it.

Looks great, the potential incompatibility this guy brings up is that the motherboard might need a BIOS update, in that case you'd need a free boot kit from AMD. I'd swap the kit for a F4-3200C16D-8GVK or a F4-3000C15D-8GVRB and the PSU for a 620 EVO ($5 more)

Maybe if you have a big Steam, or EA, or Uplay or whatever library to keep games predownloaded on, then switch what ever you're regularly playing to an SSD.

>Seems like a lot of money for a 1070ti
The cheapest 1070ti, but the other user bitched about it, so whatever.
>and again expensive case with seemingly nothing special about it
Forget about it, it will be a little less than 100€ on amazon.de.
>Oh except that board. Eh. If you're getting a b350 board, get the b350-f strix
That one would be 130€, barely 10€ less than the x470.
Would that shitty mobo really fuck the system? Like, the AB350 Pro4 should be good enough if paired with non b-die ram, I guess.
If I get all of that final build, it should be shittier for production but better for gaymes, and my friend prefers gaymer a little over production, but he will be still editing videos, tho. Should I just go for the 200 (non x) too? I would cut enough money to get the 1070ti for the same price that other build that it's pretty good already.

>SSD
OS, programms, games, other data you often access.
>HDD
Music, movies, archives, back ups, other data you don't often access.

So I have never built a pc before. My budget is around 1500-2000 however I can’t decide whether to have an amd processor or intel.

Tips also appreciated

I recently completed my first ever build, and it's also my first time ever having a desktop PC rather than a laptop.

I now have a potentially retarded question: is it really a good idea to turn off and unplug your PC during a thunderstorm? There's supposed to be one tonight, and I vaguely recall seeing that piece of advice many years ago, but I'm struggling to find properly formulated advice on the matter, it seems to be just endless opiniated posts without any factual backing.

Attached: 1494797466552.jpg (531x519, 153K)

Depends in the PSU, but outside chinese ones roper ones wont have trouble if the computer its off.
Also specially if your house is grounded.

>I dont know how check or want to remove the risk at 100%
Buy a PSU, Cyberpower or APC.

>Buy a PSU, Cyberpower or APC.
>PSU
UPS*

I'm really happy with my chip, Ryzen performs really well. AMD really is on top of their game right now.

Attached: 37faffb262c41afb640937547657fbdd2139b475.jpg (500x667, 166K)

>is it really a good idea to turn off and unplug your PC during a thunderstorm?

yea but the chances of you getting hit by lightning are very small unless you're ina lone house in the middle of a field

you still want a real surge suppressor, though since you're more likely to suffer a general power surge especially if you're in an apartment or large household

Looks good, I'm using that mobo with a 1200 and I have no complaints. It has 4+2 power phases, the same as the Tomahawk Arctic ScienceStudio got working with a 2700X so I'm pretty sure you'd be fine.
Maybe get a better GPU like the Gigabyte 1070ti (noisy fans from what I've read) or the EVGA 1070ti here
es.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/overall-list/#c=415,367&sort=price&page=1

Too bad they are not as good in the GPU side.

what about the ASRock AB350 Gaming K4? it looks exactly the same as the other but just being red. I can get it for like 63€

>I can’t decide whether to have an amd processor or intel.
Depends.
>I will play games and budget is not a problem
I7-8700K.
>I will play games and budget is a problem, also i will do multicore related work on it
AMD based in your budget.

This. Currently Nvidia can literally shit on a silver plate and offer it for $1000 because they know people will buy it since AMD has nothing to offer right now. Hopefully this will change in 2019.

when do the b450 motherboards come out? this month?

BASED and redpilled

I see, I guess I should consider a surge protector then for the future.

But just to confirm, supposing that my PSU is decent (it's supposed to have overvoltage protection, overcurrent protection, etc.), the worst that would happen would be that the PSU would die without affecting any of the other parts, correct?

. Also is there a next gen processor coming out soon that I should wait or just buy the 8700k?

Do you have a monitor and peripherals? Read the OP and start a list

I'm looking at buying a UPS for my server. I was considering an 850w model. However, do UPS's also provide surge protection? Or am I plugging the UPS into a good surge guard, THEN into the wall?

I can count on 1 hand the number of times the power has gone out by me, however the last time it did, I almost lost 4TB of data because the power cut out mid backup AND the surge caused a drive to die. So I went from having RAID 1 backing up to another disk, down to a single copy of all my data. Was scary :(.

Attached: 1525699549850.gif (429x298, 659K)

Is it a EVGA Supernova PSU, Seasonic, Anyone else that rebranded from Superflower, FSP, GreatWall, etc?
Its good enough.
Is it Corsair, HEC, any other chink low end PSU rebrand?
Then its not decent.

And to answer your question, yeah a good PSU would protect your parts from dying.

Looks okay but the reviews don't
newegg.com/global/es/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157759&cm_re=ASRock_AB350_Gaming_K4-_-13-157-759-_-Product

Attached: 1498229459814.png (882x758, 246K)

If you look on newegg you'll notice that UPS's have a "Surge Energy Rating", but it seems to be lower than that of dedicated surge protectors, though I have no clue if it's still enough for typical needs or not.

It's a lower end EVGA, so I guess it might not be sufficient. Do you have any surge protectors and/or UPS models in particular you recommend (considering money is an issue)?

wait what's wrong with corshit psus?
i thought their issue was QA.

The only real difference between current Coffeelake and upcoming Coffeelake-S will be a 14-10nm die shrink, and an 8c16t flagship which won't really be relevant for most and presumably expensive. At this stage Intel is still reportedly struggling to gain a sustainable yield with the 10nm fab so it's still up in the air when release will be.
Honestly, unless there was a guaranteed release within a month I don't think it's worth waiting at all.
This is also not taking into account the first of the 10nm are shit clockers like Broadwell.

Low end ones? they have a good amount of problems.
Mid-high end ones? not really but you are just paying extra for the brand, if you get them in a good sale then there is nothing wrong, they are from Seasonic or Great Wall.

It will be like the Haswell to Devil Canyon series, its just a refresh of the line.

So my friend has a r5 1400 and a rx 580. He wants to get a i7 8700K because he has a 144hz monitor, but in reality we all know he needs a better GPU more than a CPU. Would a GTX 1070 or VEGA equivalent be optimal for 1080p144hz?

yeah i was gonna say the rx series is normally about the same as a g2/g3 or an xfx befx. the xfx being basically the same unit and the evga being superflower.

the early corsair builder cx greens were awful and would probably explode. i've heard good things about the new white builder series, but corsair's QA is legit retarded. even an rx unit could blow just because they can't be arsed to check.

He could wait for the new GPUs, and a upgrade to Ryzen 2600/2600X would be a priority as long he has a good motherboard.

People with a blower Vega card should really just get a Raijintek Morpheus. You're literally obliterating any thermal concerns and end up with an even better card than aftermarket models.

what i'm asking is if the CPU would have higher temperature when its warm outside? i know 30C would put it to the same temperature even if the PC is turned off but what about high overclocking or just general use with a standard gpu cooler
And i cant buy an AC right now but i will in the near future

30°C "fucked" at idle and 60-70°C under stress overclocked if you get a good heatsink.

idk I use a UPS.
A good PSU is going to have overcurrent protection. Check if yours does. Add a surge protector in front of it to be safe.

Vega56 is pretty good compared to the 1070ti/1080, though.

1070 is going to be like 40% higher fps on average over what he's getting now. But you're going to blow out the cost with the monitor.

Intel has an 8core coming out. Supposed to have hardware fixes for their security vulnerabilities, I think.

>Would that shitty mobo really fuck the system
Usually b350 is because you want to go mATX and there aren't like any x370/x470 mATX boards.
I suppose you'd get by with that board. Its VRMs are enough for a 6 core. But it doesn't have great user reviews which suggests poor reliability, memory compatibility, BIOS, so on.

>Do CPUs disobey the laws of thermodynamics? Pls esplan

yes quite obviously, you're not escaping this unless you use liquid nitrogen or dry ice and even then ambient temperature should make a marginal difference

>But it doesn't have great user reviews which suggests poor reliability,
Whatever, I found a reburb one for 60€, the "good" board. So yeah, I went with that and got a 1070ti that was 500€, a Zotac amp extreme ultimate whatever, one that looks like it's 2,5 slots and has three fans, so it should be good enough.
The ram I got is probably Hynix, but whatever, but if it does 3000, it will be godd.

[email protected]@70°C with a 212 EVO with 4 case fans in a HAF 912.
This is what my ambient temperatures are like, i rarely turn the AC on.

Attached: Sonora desert.png (629x414, 19K)

you make it sound less worse than it actually is

intel is in big toruble right and their liability lawyers are going to be working overtime for what may end up being a game changing loss in the cpu industry

I have a GTX 980ti, currently running with a 1080p ultrawide monitor. My cpu is bottlenecking it so I haven't been able to see how well it runs newer games, but since I'm getting a 2600x I was wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to a 1080ti or would that be overkill?