/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1530871194687.png (855x919, 450K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.gnome.org/libnautilus-extension/
system-rescue-cd.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Any FOSS market tracking/analysis software you could recommend?

nvm figured it out

No I fucking didn't .

Who are you?

?

Attached: who.png (351x88, 5K)

Attached: .png (1000x1414, 1.27M)

Nice html edit cuck

I want a Linux distro that:

>looks fairly good out of the box
>isn't bloated as fuck
>allows me to modify the system font as I hate the default Linux font that every distro seems to use
>has decent default applications (not a high priority though)

Is OpenSUSE good?

>Linux font

Arch

What's wrong with this?

for ((i=1; i

no

alpine

Monjaro.

- 000something is not a number
- don't mix printf and echo, basically you should always use just printf
- use printf correctly; printf [format] [variables]

$ for ((i=1; i

Retard

But I need to store those as a variable, how can I do that? (The echo was only there to check if it worked.)

Choose a different variable name which does not conflict with the for loop. For ex:
for ((i=1; i

Thanks!

Like this for testing:

$ for ((i=1; i

What is the best for Linux?

not systemd

I wanna make an extension for Nautilus.
I'm looking at the header files, and the package libnautilus-extension-dev installs 93megabytes of crap I probably don't need.

developer.gnome.org/libnautilus-extension/ on the other hand has .tar.gz files. Where do I put em?

- Torvalds stepping down
- Zemlin stepping down
- kicking Microsoft, Google, Facebook and the like out of the Linux Foundation

GPLv3+

Developers Developers Developers Developers

shit, it's just the fucking html page as a zip file. what the fuck.

Attached: 1530593968756.jpg (480x480, 86K)

Do you mean Linux, the kernel, or GNU/Linux, the OS?

anime

It turns out I was using wrong CPU configuration, so everything was running slow. After using correct configuration (host-passthrough and cores/thread provision), everything runs a lot smoother, even near native performance. Kingdom Come runs at 30FPS, very high settings, 1080P (similar to my previous OS). It did drop frame here and there because of SATA emulation that I was using, and open world game needs fast IO access. I think using VIRTIO would increase the disk IO speed, but I can't be bothered with that right now because installing AMD RX580 driver was a headache on Embedded 7. WIndows 10 might be a lot easier to install.
Some games run fine just like they were running on native machine. Attilla won't launch at all (probably because OS I am using and it requires some component that is missing on Windows Embedded 7) and Ancestor Legacy cannot detect any sound device at all, idk why. Currently installing Total Warhammer, see if it works. If these games cannot run on this at all, I will create new Windows 10 machine.

Also, how do you remove window manager, mine Window Maker just shit it self, tried to apt purge, apt remove but it still there.

Attached: vm.png (1920x1080, 265K)

based and redpilled

urxvt closes after a process is finished. What's the config for it to not do that?

Recently I installed manjaro along side windows, but I might install something else.

/home and / are on separate partitions, and I mounted the EFI partition (created by windows) as /boot/EFI

Can I just install another distro formating / and /home or should I do something else?

I don't wanna lose that windows partition :$

What's the best OS for my new x220? Usually I do Arch but I don't want to update every day since I'll only be using my x220 a couple times a week at most.
>tried debian
tons of issues to fix
>ubuntu
too much to reconfigure to make it not absolute garbage
>linux mint
just broken

So I installed arch and as I suspected, not a single problem, everything just werked. But again I don't want to keep updating every day.

I've got a 32 GiB flash drive and want to make a LiveUSB full of useful tools to be ready for any situation.
Any suggestions?

Attached: Capture-1024x795.png (1024x795, 311K)

system-rescue-cd.org/

>systemrescuecd
Plebeian taste.
Get Hiren's or gandalf's.

I found Xubuntu to be pretty good out of the box

It doesn't.

Don't use Windows. It's malware.

Install Debian.

wrong

I just said why I'm not using debian. How about some fucking respect? This is a friendly GNU/Linux thread after all.

I don't care, and ltsb version is a million times better than standard.
I use it solely to play games anyway.

I'm in a situation where I really want to run a linux distro on my desktop but I don't have integrated wifi. I'm using some cheap usb adapter that I bought on amazon and I'm not sure if I can get the drivers necessary to be able to browse the internet on my desktop. What do you guys recommend?

You install distros, discover issues and instead of learning to use your distro, you switch. Do you really think that any distro will "just work" for you?

Anyone have any experience using the ACCEPT_LICENSE="*- @FREE" flag with gentoo and deblobbing gentoo-sources? I'm following the wiki with the echo sys-kernel/gentoo-sources freedist but when I try to emerge it still stops on the license issue. Is there a step I'm missing?

checking iptables configuration and got this.

what does it mean?

Attached: iptable.png (1024x768, 638K)

sudo
su -c

I bought a Wifi Extender and use its ethernet connection during the installation process. Then I install my USB wifi adapter and put away the extender until I need it again (which happens because sometimes the wifi breaks and I have mess around with its configs again).

It really depends on your situation. I've also tried Powerline Adapters, but they're just too slow in my house. Best Buy has a 14 day return policy, so just go try things out.

Attached: tp-link_300mbps_wi-fi_range_extender_tl-wa855re_11.jpg (1200x1200, 68K)

I recommend you google the adapter name and model and then add the word "linux' in your search engine query and read what people say about it and what the driver name is

>1GB RAM without even running anything
>not bloated

No I don't think, I expect, because that's how it should be. Not wanting to waste my time on trivial issues like a touchpad's tap-to-click features isn't meaningful to me. You need to learn there's a difference between programming and fixing an OS. The main difference is that I enjoy coding, but I hate fixing other people's mistakes.

And like I said Arch just works, so of course I'm going to be upset that others don't when I need a stable distro that I don't have to update every day.

Depends on the DE.

>figure out what Arch does differently
>tweak a stable distro one time
>find something else to be upset about

>figure out what Arch does differently
They listen to their user's problems and fix them.
>tweak a stable distro one time
>find something else to be upset about
I shouldn't have to spend hours configuring a "stable" distro, that's why I came here, to ask for advice on what distro will give me what I want. If you're not going to help with that, then you should stop responding, unless of course you have nothing better to do.

No one said you have to update your operating system every day.
Everything you've posted just screams "lol i'm only doing this to feel cool, lol i won't even use this, but i gotta post it to feel cool". Fucking retard. You possess no real knowledge, except for memes you perpetually feed to other idiots on here while masquerading as "advanced technology users".

Arch breaks if you don't update it. As for the other things, well okay, but that's just like your opinion, man

You need to either:
>learn how to use your package manager
>learn to package software yourself
>buy a hard drive from this millennium which can fit additional 93MB of data on it

I update my arch server once a month and nothing ever breaks.
I update my laptop and desktop maybe once a week, sometimes not for a month

>breaks if you dont update it
It breaks if you have invalid config files present when you update and are too stupid to deal with .pacnew's or to read the arch website front page stating when manual intervention is required

>Arch breaks if you don't update it
Nice meme spreading, retard. Do you have any data to back your claims up? No, you don't, because you're just another retard who gets off on parrotting his meme knowledge on here to feel smart, because he's finally one of the big boys who use technology.

We don't even know what DE he's using.

guhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-knew

Attached: 00000179_p.jpg (1600x1066, 217K)

I really don't know why I expected this board to be helpful in any regard. I once tried asking a programming related question here and didn't get a single response. I should've realized right then that no one here can actually code; instead you all waste time ricing i3 configs and pretending the pseudo code you write is intelligent. No wonder /sci/ bullies you.

just installed dwm
how do i resize tiles without making them float

>gets called out on his retarded behaviour
>asked to provide proof for his meme information
>he can't
>goes on on about something unrelated, filled with ad-hominems and assumptions
What a fucking retard, just stop posting on here and wasting everyone's bandwidth.

I mean I know this is bait and all, but it just validates my point.

>ARCH IS STOOOPID U HAS TU UPDATE EVERY 1 NANOSECOND
>well user, no you dont, actually an update a month is sufficent and read the front page for info on manual intervetion
>LOL WELL I ASKED A PROGRAMMING QUESTION AND NO ONE REPLIED
>ok user, that has nothing to do with arch nor how to maintain arch
>LOL NOU
Retarded much?

I love arch, I use it on my desktop. But I had a laptop in the past that when I eventually got around to updating, it shat the bed and I spent 20 minutes fixing it. 20 minutes I could've spent on Jow Forums telling people they're retarded for not using the same distro as me.

Friendly bro. Take your shit to your imaginary friends

Yes, your point about how you know nothing about the things you're talking about.
You just wasted more of everyone's bandwidth with your retardation.

You remind me of one of my friends when I was 16. Are you 16?

>thinks this is a distribution matter
>is so retarded that he doesn't realize what he's being called out for
There is no hope for you. Ask your mommy to take your internet capable devices away, babby isn't ready to use it.

You're a spitting image of him.

package managers were a mistake

Where is your objective data correlating update frequencies with operating system "breakage"?

The fact that you're still trying to chance topics with your unrelated ad-hominems only further proves how fucking retarded you are. This is an anonymous image based internet forum, just stop posting and face your retardation.

You don't know what you're talking about.
All your knowledge stems from memes.
You have no proof for your retarded meme claims.
Your next post is most likely still going to be your simpleton brain's coping mechanism (your insults) and not something proving your retarded meme claims. That's how predictable your simpleton brain is.

>manually updating all your dependencies for the entire system
Fuck that, look at what a joke slackware is

>I once tried asking an off-topic question here and didn't get a single response
>I also draw wild conclusions based on the assumption that 100% of the threads userbase reads every post
lol ok

I asked /dpt/ and when I browse threads I always read almost every post, and always ones with images or code tags because they grab your attention. I imagine a lot of others do as well.

Alright then, you're right. We're all idiots.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Hey I like to keep up to date with technology. For what it's worth, Jow Forums is still better than any other place I've found on the internet. It's just that none of you can actually code.

Ok. Can you please recommend me some beginner coding tutorials?
I'd like to first start by learning how to program in HTML if you think that's a good language.

This community is pretty toxic, why?

I blame stallman, he started it back in the 80's

It's a markup language. Not a bad place to start, it could teach you some basic rules. But it's also too easy, and the best way to learn is to throw yourself into the deep end. Start with something useful and fun. Bash and Python aren't bad, but they're unlike most languages. They're still too simple. I'd say C is a good balance between simple and complex. Don't just read books, also create your own projects, and google your ass off until you actually start to learn. The real key is motivation, and you can't have the motivation to program if you don't innately love it, but that's like any skill really.

Proprietary software.

Attached: 1509433415820.jpg (1024x768, 60K)

>This community is pretty toxic, why?
I think your wanted to go to reddit.com/r/overwatch not Jow Forums.org/g/fglt

fuck off

Get some rocks and a lake.

There ate basically three types of posters ITT:

>the noob
usually doesn't know anything and repeats what he had read on some blogs
>the senior
knows what's best for everyone, but is unable to see beginners needs
>the Jow Forumsack
derails with buzzwords like communism, the jews did this and anti-GPL propaganda

When someone asks a question, everyone gets armed and mad.

So which one are you?

The question guy.

Anyone got an idea how to fix this?

Attached: received_550081655389745.png (801x149, 48K)

I am legion for we are many.

Attached: 1515205890900.gif (500x500, 2.07M)

Uninstall that shit and install htop.

Try a different font.

If you dont want your cpu to be used, stop using things that use the cpu