Guys I'm freaking out

Guys I'm freaking out.

I just landed a job as a Linux system administrator, but I don't actually know shit. I have 2 weeks to study as many linux sys admin books as I can, or else this is going to be really awkward when i start working, knowing nothing.

Got any recommendations?

Attached: 1528006247384.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y

Don't worry friend. I work as sysadmin in medium sized company and I rarely do anything ever. Most days I just shitpost.

land job
2 weeks to start
????

What's confusing about that?
I didn't even sign the work contract yet. They just got done screening all the applicants and informed me that i'm hired.

Eh, when something goes wrong, just google it. Nobody will know the difference between someone who knows nothing and a professional because they all search for solutions. Eventually you'll get the hang of it and remember what to do.

Install Gentoo

This guy is right and most solutions can be found with a google but you don't want to learn things the hard way when corporate infrastructure is at stake.
You should definitely learn what you can by doing something practical. Try setting up your own server this week as practice, add and remove some users, read about bash scrips and automate backup tasks with tools like cron

Buy some Raspberry PI's and set up a functioning network.

This, and be sure to do it in some obtuse security setup

Apt-get package handler, found the ubuntu user

Start studying for CompTIA Linux+. That'll get you somewhere

Wow man. Excellent deduction!

The linux command line
How linux works

Gimme ur job.

Didn't we have this thread like a week ago?

Remember, linux is a kernel. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
One slip up, and they'll be on to you're game.

I'm convinced it's the same guy and he didn't actually land a job and this is a pasta or something.

start by installing gentoo unironically,
you should understand why you need to do each step and what the point is

proceed to setup some basic stuff, like a DNS server, some software raids, lvm, NTP

you can even try to set some mailserver up, though it's a bit tougher than the rest in my experience

>Package handler
Found the boomer

If you wprk with other sysadmin just look at their routine and copy it. If you are the only one there learn a few commands that display a lot of text so your boss thinks you are working.

>I just landed a job as a Linux system administrator, but I don't actually know shit
Fuck you. I've been using debian (casually) for almost a decade now running a home server and personal use and cant land a better paying sysadmin job.

Attached: 0.jpg (637x854, 67K)

>better paying sysadmin job

So you already have one then?

Just blame the other employees. Works for me.

Look for centos and red hat guides

Software dev job right now, would rather be a sysadmin.

I have a laptop with only 2gb of RAM, is this sufficient for a sysadmin tutorial stuff? I'm just starting.

How the hell did you land a job without knowing anything? Didn't you have an interview at all?

That said, install Debian or Red Hat on your own computer and play around with it to learn some basic stuff such as setting up a web server or mail transfer. If you're of average intelligence you should be able to learn rest of the things as you go after starting the job.

P.S. if you do not know scripting languages, you're in deep trouble. You should handle SH, Perl and Python at the very least.

Do you know which distro they use?
Then install that distro on a "fun machine" (cheap trash laptop) and try out as much things as you can.
If you don't know, install Slackware or Debian and do the same.

You should dive into the bash, write some simpley basic bash scripts and be proficient with stuff like grep, cat, less, find, head/tail, pipes, writing/reading from files, file ownership and permissions, user groups and such things.

Also some python might come in handy (google a tutorial for admin stuff) if you have any time left.

What does a Linux sysadmin does besides reading error logs and trying to fix them?

>Apt-get package handler
>handler
Doesn't Debian also use this?

I had interviews in the past and some of the IT guys admit using google to find answers

Load up on Linux VMs. Debian, CentOS, etc
Download ebooks
Join some Linux forums and start reading and posting questions

Attached: 1529330501771.jpg (582x1316, 180K)

>How the hell did you land a job without knowing anything? Didn't you have an interview at all?

I don't live in area with a lot of IT people, and they were really struggling to find people. Only 3 people showed up for job interviews (including myself) and apparently I was the best one.

When I said i don't know shit, that was a bit exaggerated. I use Linux as my desktop OS, but i don't know shit about actual server stuff.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade won't cut it here

Set up an AWS linux server and get cracking. Also remember these simple guidelines

-Always document what you changed, how, when and where. be specific in your notes. the more thorough the better. This will also look good to your bosses.

-Backups, backups, backups: make sure you have them and do disaster recovery at least once a year

-Always deploy changes in test environment first if one exists, consider making one if it doesen't exist

-when making changes: Plan, inform, execute, follow through, also have a plan if everything goes tits up.

Did they at least tell you what you'd be working with? What kind of infrastructure are we talking about here?

I mean it's the nature of the job, whoever claims they never use google are either lying or help-desk tier -1.

all you need is
rm -rf /
it will solve all your issues

Attached: 1.png (863x829, 223K)

Install Arch and set up a desktop environment, that'll honestly give you at least 50% of the knowledge you'll need for the job.
Look into network management and how NAS works on Linux, that'll get you going.

I'd rather code for a company than have to act as customer service. Don't think I'm going to last long as a jr sys admin

Fuck you. I can't find a system or network administrator job period.

Learn how Apache works. Learn the basics of networking. Those two things will get you the furthest in the leash amount of time

Ok H

First, read this introduction to Linux guide, you'll then understand the filesystem, the permissions and some other basics:
tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/
Feel free to skip stuff you already know.
Then you need to learn a scripting language, it could be high level like ruby or python, but most people use bash, because that's what comes with 99.9% of Linux systems:
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

There are also user styles to make that site look not like shit.

Buy a Raspberry pi, or use an old laptop/PC and set up a mail/irc/xmpp/whatever/minecraft server, so that it works even when you connect outside of network.

Attached: nogatoro.jpg (585x464, 56K)

Do you have any certs in anything?

This thread again.

install gentoo