Be math major

>be math major
>look at computer science major's curriculum
>highest math is calc 2
no wonder ML is all gradient descent...

Attached: 1524891790374.jpg (1420x1188, 169K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.thedataincubator.com/2017/10/matlab-vs-python-numpy-for-academics-transitioning-into-data-science/
pyzo.org/python_vs_matlab.html
rlhick.people.wm.edu/posts/comparing-the-speed-of-matlab-versus-pythonnumpy-partii.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_color_theorem
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I can't even pass calc 1

>GradientDescent
>Not using ADAM optimizer

>all colleges have the same curriculum

>be CS major
>look at math major's curriculum
>python 101, graphing scripts
Normies get out

>image done with MS Paint

You sure convinced me, kek.

>t. newfag
lurk for 2 years

>look at CS major
>shocked because it does not have as much maths as a math major
>open thread in Jow Forums
>suck dicks
>be OP

You'd think all these math majors would come up with something better for AI, kek, but most of the domain is lead by cross-bio fags, specifically neuroscientists
What has pure math contributed in the last 30-40 years? It's like philosophy now.

>be physics grad student
>TA for math majors
>need to hold an entire training session for FUCKING EXCEL
>none of them should ever touch anything besides excel, SAS, Mathematica, or Matlab

Any math problem I have can be solved by a Google search in a matter of minutes.

Yes, they are all brainlets.
CS is trivial.

The absolute state of CS fags.

9 out of 10 CompSci code monkeys can't solve this simple equation

Attached: y.png (282x74, 4K)

go back to your inductive proofs of addition algorithms. airgap your windows box after you install mathematica on it, since you fags can't even solve PDEs with pencil and paper any more

I'm not even a CS fag. I'm studying mechanical engineering and math is a useless meme.
Most programming and engineering problems don't need any higher math.

>install mathematica
I use MATLAB, or occasionally C.

> since you fags can't even solve PDEs with pencil and paper any more
Computers are better at doing that anyway, so why bother?

And everything you've learned and are capable of can be done/solved with a computer.

Attached: 1482730243168.gif (240x200, 354K)

hahahaha matlab. brainlet detected

ever heard of numpy / scipy / pandas? the absolute state of math fags

>Computers are better at doing that anyway, so why bother?
yeah, as i said, go back to constructing the real numbers from set theory. people who do science will take care of building the world for you, and maybe in 100 years they'll open one of your shit papers about algebraic geometry to calculate a cross section in string theory, while your grandkids remain poorfags since grandpa never could get a job over 60k a year

>I'm not even a CS fag. I'm studying mechanical engineering and math is a useless meme.
>Most programming and engineering problems don't need any higher math.
Are you retarded?
Do you think you can do mechanics without a computer and math at this day and age?

I took Mechanics 1 and 2 and it was basically just math, the bending of beam requires solving a DE, for anything more complex then a couple of them you are absolutely fucked if you don't solve them numerically.
There are even classes at my University where Mechanical engineers learn mathematical methods to solve matrix equations, because that is quite important if you *actually* want to solve a complex problem.

>ever heard of numpy / scipy / pandas?
Yes, I did, what about them?

>yeah, as i said, go back to constructing the real numbers from set theory.
No, that has already been done.

> people who do science will take care of building the world for you
But science uses mathematics, especially in engineering numerics is EXTREMELY important, how else could the engineers solve their Problems?

>while your grandkids remain poorfags since grandpa never could get a job over 60k a year
These words honor me, since they imply that I will:
a) Ever get a job
b) Ever loose my virginity
thanks for your kindness.

>graduate with math degree
>no jobs for anyone with a bachelor's
>no jobs for anyone with a masters
>need a PhD to teach to other kids that need a PhD to get a job
Wowee

>Yes, I did, what about them?
they're 100x better than shitty MATLAB. matlab is a toy for undergrads to use for writing a term paper or idiot engineers who think LabView is how you run a real experiment.

i guarantee if you rewrite your matlab code in numpy it will be 10x faster and aleph-zero times more extensible and user-friendly

>Do you think you can do mechanics without a computer and math at this day and age?
Find the strawman.
I took mechanics 1-3 and the highest it got was differential equations iirc.
Of course numerical problems are solved using software. Who the fuck would do that with pen and paper?
My point is that you don't need to study those problems to find a solution in a very short time.

*have studied them in college

>they're 100x better than shitty MATLAB.
In what regard?

I honestly think MATLAB is a deccent language with a great standard library.

What's there to solve? Just plug in your values and get your shit

>Of course numerical problems
There is no such thing as a "numerical Problem", "numerical" refers to the method used to get to the solution, there are other alternatives, such as "symbolic".

>I took mechanics 1-3 and the highest it got was differential equations iirc.
Yeah, but as if differential equations didn't take a lot of mathematics to solve, eve numerically.

>My point is that you don't need to study those problems to find a solution in a very short time.
What? Of course you need to study these Problems if you want to find numeric solutions to them?

>pure mathfag leaves his containment board

As for ML using just gradient descents there's very quickly diminishing returns in implementing more obfuscated models when the same results can be achieved by just throwing more data at it.

CS is babby tier maths though, I think many universities nowadays are struggling to keep the division between CS and SE in academia because students are less and less interested in Hamiltonian Cycles and more interested in getting jobs and not starving upon graduation.

well python is a real programming language, for one. want to set up a web interface for your data analysis tools? import flask or django and you have a professional-tier framework set up for you. want to make system calls or run C++/C subroutines? no problem in python. you're out of luck with MATLAB

second of all, matlab has obvious limitations, like input/output being pretty much "here's a csv file" or sqlite if you're REALLY lucky. python has every sort of imaginable i/o, like e.g. generators that query the WWW.

also, matlab can pretty much only do matrix calculations. where is my symbolic math? in python, import sympy and you have something 90% as good as mathematica at your fingertips...

i could go on and on but here:
blog.thedataincubator.com/2017/10/matlab-vs-python-numpy-for-academics-transitioning-into-data-science/
pyzo.org/python_vs_matlab.html
rlhick.people.wm.edu/posts/comparing-the-speed-of-matlab-versus-pythonnumpy-partii.html

python and R are the languages of data science, for a reason. and R is going by the wayside. matlab is just a toy.

Solve for p

>want to make system calls or run C++/C subroutines? no problem in python. you're out of luck with MATLAB
Wrong.

>like input/output being pretty much "here's a csv file" or sqlite
I write my own output datafiles, which are being read in by LaTeX, why would you do anything else?

>also, matlab can pretty much only do matrix calculations.
Wrong.
MATLAB can do everything from computer Algebra to numerical calculations to Image Processing to Machine learning.

>where is my symbolic math?
In the symbolic toolbox, right where it belongs >>>help sym

>mport sympy and you have something 90% as good as mathematica at your fingertips...
Same for MATLAB, you just need to have the symbolic toolbox installed.

>python and R are the languages of data science
I am not doing data science I am doing numerics.

>matlab is just a toy.
It is testing ground.

It might actually be a good idea to consider switching to Python, but just because the code I produce isn't written in a proprietary language I might not have access to in the future.

I meant you don't need to have studied them in college to find a solution.
Most programmers will never need that stuff and the few that do use software or study that problem for a while.
Same goes for engineers. There's no need for them to learn maths in depth in college.

>I meant you don't need to have studied them in college to find a solution.
If by "find a solution" you mean "ask a computer" then you are right, but there is a lot of math behind them.

>There's no need for them to learn maths in depth in college.
Except if they want to do something which will require heavy simulation, if you want to do Simulations you better understand a good deal of numerics.

>almost finished CS master's
>usually scored high by doing jack shit all semester until the exams when I crammed for a week
>forgot most already
Especially my math skills have gone completely down the shitter.
I feel like a retard. Then again I'm probably a competent programmer and problem solver, just not really cut out to be an academic.
>he says while not having programmed a in a year due to depression

Yes and what percentage of programmers writes simulation software for scientists and engineers? 0.01%?
And engineers who only use simulation software don't need to know the math behind it in detail.
That's why it doesn't make sense for them to learn math in depth in college.

>That's why it doesn't make sense for them to learn math in depth in college.
Obviously they need to learn less math then math students, but you said:

>math is a useless meme.
>Most programming and engineering problems don't need any higher math.
Which is clearly wrong.

The first sentence was a hyperbole, the second is accurate.

>the second is accurate
But you NEED math to solve these Problems, just there happens to be a kind team of mathematicians and engineers who already wrote the algorithms to solve that Problem for you.

Yeah, no wonder all these math majors have been making such significant contributions to AI and ML. Oh wait, they haven't.

The biggest is portability; additionally MATLAB has numerous bugs left unfixed due to yearly release. MATLAB additionally only links to MKL which is highly biased towards Intel hardware, although there does exist CUDA accelerated versions.

Not learning higher math makes you much less versatile and capable. Not understanding that where you derive these principles boxes you into solving the same problems over and over again; when the field makes a paradigm shift, you will not adapt.

>The biggest is portability
Yeah, I can see that.

>additionally MATLAB has numerous bugs left unfixed due to yearly release
MATLAB releases twice a year with update packs to fix important bugs released between them.

>MATLAB additionally only links to MKL which is highly biased towards Intel hardware, although there does exist CUDA accelerated versions.
That's interesting.

calc 1 can be learned from Khan Academy in a couple weeks. Most Unis really suck at teaching it.

Same

...and yet they will make more money than you. Funny how that works.

I bet u can't even solve this m8

Attached: 1375200134535.jpg (390x356, 31K)

It's 42.

/Solved.

>math major
>learns more math than anyone
>yet it couldnt calculate his job prospects and get a better major

Sad!

math is fucking gay kill yourself

MATLAB is an enourmous piece of shit made to cash on academic institutions, theres no reason to use it over numpy, Python has so much libraries about everything that you can combine your numerical calculations with infinite possibilities.

Programmers who can't do math are about as useful as the whores in HR and the code monkeys calling themselves "webdevs"

Thanks for doing it free for me to make the bigs moneys

same with majoring electrical engineering and minoring computer-field, the highest math is calc-2.

I don't know in other country. 3th wolder.

I got calc 1 = D, calc 2 = A, due to cheating. math is so fucked up.

heisenberg?

Should I take abstract algebra and maybe real analysis or should I do more practical things like an OS implementation course
Last year if college
Not a math major

Attached: 8203850.jpg (3446x5000, 3.08M)

The former will allow you to brag on a Vietnamese HVAC maintenance forum. The latter might actually help you get a job.

>CS course requires Calc III and 2 math electives
>Entry level courses have strict pass/fail shit on them even though the class is letter graded
>Auto D+ if you fail the midterm, final, or coding demos
>In a goddamn state school
>Prof's TAs write fake reviews on Rate my Professor to get their prof's score up
>They even mass downvote legit reviews with criticisms on it
>Prof still gets "Professor of the year" award and is besties with the dean
I should have just stuck with Network Engineering instead of this corrupt shit

Attached: 193497823412.gif (245x169, 1.01M)

>highest math is calc 2
why are you at an obviously bad university

heres advice for the underages and people who didnt go to college but might

major in something braindead fuckign easy
like the most minimal amount of credits and most minimal amount of effort per credit
then take all your free time? and use it to take the useful practical programming and implementation courses as well as data science courses and networking

try your ass off in those and actually learn shit. try for internships yadda yadda
then you graduated, BA in some bullshit
sounds bad right? wrong. cause you not only have practical skills but a special snowflake degree that makes the hiring and humanities people think you're a standout and they assume you're more socially capable and """""""'cultured"""""""" then the average cs/math guy.

boom, you just took maybe 1/3 of the courses that CS majors have to do and are qualified to work the same job.

if you're not a basedboy (be honest man) here's the real life cheatcode:
go to trade schoolg, your highschool guidance counselors lied to you

I went to trade school but then changed my major to CS because I didn't want to do contracting job bullshit. Rather just have a cubicle job than having to go place to place and dealing with annoying IT bosses.

Here's a protip for you, the "humanities people" are in charge of hiring you already fucked up.

Riiiight

Careful, don't fly too close to the sun.

bragging rights are more important

how do i beat college

>college

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_color_theorem

I actually learned linear algebra from ine of the men who proved it.

But there are way more than 4colors...

i love how mathfags tell me something is useful but what they really meant was "useful inside of mathematics" which really means "we sperged on it, its not really useful".

>MATLAB is an enourmous piece of shit made to cash on academic institutions, theres no reason to use it over numpy, Python has so much libraries about everything
I would actually disagree, MATLAB has a great standard library and I don't think any python equivalent has something MATLAB is actually listening.

But you are right about the monetary and freedom perspective, obviously MATLAB sucks there.

>Thanks for doing it free
Academics usually get payed, at least enough money that they don't starve.

you don't even learn gradients until calc 3 lul

I had a student who failed calc 1. I was his private/college tutor. He could grasp some of the concepts quite well, but his brain was so slow and lazy that any actual calculation would be disaster. I'm good at explaining concepts to students, but what this kid needed was a good whipping, or something. I think he passed it next semester, when I tutored him again. Can you believe they paid me $90 per hour for this? Anyway he's gonna be a climate scientist.

Attached: 1528787318543.jpg (650x848, 181K)

Formal Languages > calc 3