/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: X201t.jpg (6000x3376, 3.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.de/dp/B01N5IB20Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_JF5pBb1ZT63AG
perfil.mercadolibre.cl/USADOSSTGO
arrowdirect.com/refurbished-laptops/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=40
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Use this picture for the next thread op

Attached: 13e3397f-3f19-4a63-bb35-8d9085828756.jpg (640x640, 38K)

I have a Thickbad T530, i7 3840QM 2.8Ghz with NVS 5400M GPU; bought this from a second-hand dealer. The normal Web browsing temps are around 40 celcius, and when playing geims or rendering, it's constantly at 3.6Ghz and temps go up to 90c, but never higher.
Is this normal? Means I don't have to repaste yes? Just opened the keyboard up, and the insides including the fans have little dust.

Attached: __luna_lovegood_harry_potter_drawn_by_inma__fd643b67247a9659ccf5ad9b543e80eb.jpg (400x511, 96K)

Use this one next time

Attached: TPG.png (710x612, 258K)

is it even worth getting an intel cpu past sandy bridge? why does intel suck so much this decade.

Attached: x230 t430.png (800x2000, 2.2M)

Looking for a laptop for my mom. She only uses it for work (Excel, various graphs, stuff like that) and YouTube, so nothing too intense is required. Budget is around 200-300€.

Sorry I keep bumping that, but can anyone with a latched tablet model help out?
If I buy one with the latch missing is it an easy fix or do I actually have to take the whole screen apart?

Hey mates, Im looking to buy a sleeve for my x200s. I notice the dimensions of my thinkpad often dont match sleeves on the market.
Its 29mm thicc but most 13 inch sleeves are designed for a macbook, which makes it like 20mm thicc. It display is obviously like 12 inch so I feels kinda iffy to buy a 17inch sleeve so the thiccness fits.

What sleeve (if any) do you guys use? What do you recommend?

Attached: 20180627_233851.jpg (4032x3024, 2.52M)

what os?

Windows.

You would need to remove the screen entirely, take the screen apart, then replace the latch. If the hinge is still pretty tight, you won't have anything to worry about even using it anyways.

There's a pretty good deal on an x240 nearby and I'm thinking of getting it, is the trackpad really as bad as people say? It's really the only thing holding me back from buying it.

make sure you check to see your video drivers are combatible with windows 10. HD3000 isnt supported, so youre stuck with X-X30 gen or newer.

>Jow Forums is not your personal tech support

I know that but can one of you please tell me if this SSD is compatible with a x230 ThinkPad?
As far as I know it should work but I want your input as well.
Kingston SSD A400 240GB Solid-State-Drive (2.5 Zoll, SATA 3) amazon.de/dp/B01N5IB20Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_JF5pBb1ZT63AG

Yes, most 2.5" SATA3 SSD's will work. Most mSATA drives will also work but it isn't as easy to install - you have to remove the wireless cables and keyboard

Sweet. Thanks user, I'm getting it.

I'm using 10 LTSB with my 11 year old X61t, the HD3000 shouldn't have any issue.

A bit of elaboration for the future: I'm pretty sure the SATA connector is backward-compatible, so literally any drive that has the same shape of connector will work in any SATA enclosure.

>is the trackpad really as bad as people say?
The touchpad is unusable if you're a trackpoint user, otherwise it doesn't matter. Even then it's easily replaceable so whatever.

I live in a 3rd world shithole (Chile) so my only option for memepad parts is either used locally or aliexpress internationally. Through aliexpress I've bought touchpads, palmrests, speakers, and everything has worked fine. Now I'm thinking LCD displays. Any tips?

pic unrelated

Attached: picunrelated.jpg (591x720, 58K)

I get my parts from Aliexpress and my shitpads from US eBay + Chilebox instead of locally, mercadolibre is full of fucking jews and even ebay+chilebox+customs is the same or cheaper than most listings in yapo.
I mean the first listing in yapo is $426 for a stock t440p what the fuck.

perfil.mercadolibre.cl/USADOSSTGO

this fella sells memepads at really nice prices. I have gotten memepads for myself and my family from him: x1 carbon for 250k CLP, t440 for 130k, x220t for 150k, T530 for 140k and x240 for 120k. All in excellent condition. How does that comapre to your ebay purchases?

you have any favourite stores on aliexpress?

>A400
lmao
cheap ass TLC trash SSD without DRAM

honestly, i've had good results with arrow-direct's thiccbads.
arrowdirect.com/refurbished-laptops/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=40
Their stock rotates every week

I read on plebbit that you can undo the top screws and pry the screen apart just enough to get at the two screws holding the latch in.
How true is this kek
Also this x200T was like 15 bucks and all I know is that it boots to BIOS, no clue if the hinge is tight or not.

I've gotten a T440p for 97k, X220t for 80k and an X61t for 55k, all of them delivered to my house via chilexpress. I forgot to mention that I'm not from Santiago so i have to pay 5-12k extra for local shipping.
And i don't have any favorite aliexpress stores i just sort by reviews and pick something. The only seller i remember is "kevin trade shop" or something like that for displays which has served me well with four screens in pristine condition and the same model i asked for, one of them being the FHD IPS B140HAN01.3 for my 440p.

very nice tips, thanks

I wasn't sure because the was the other forums reccomended were a bit over my budget, anyway turns out I wont be able to test it.
It arrives next week and I'll be already gone on vacation.
Oh well.

Why are X60 thinkpads so hard to find n ebay? there are only like 2-3 listingins on ebay

Just opened my new 430 and found that the ssd is actually connected to the motherboard (samsung ssd sm841n) About to have 3 ssds in this bad boy.

It's not like it needs to last me a lifetime.
Should still be better than my currently sluggish HDD.
Also don't want to invest too much in it.
Or do you have a better one in mind?

Does anyone know if the touch screen on the T450s is less quality than the non touch model. I've found a nice T450s but it's touch and I'm worried about how this might effect screen quality. Not interested in touch and want that crisp screen.

>Libreboot-compatible models

Don't you feel silly going out with a ten years old notebook? I saw a guy with a t60 this morning at starbucks, it was cringe inducing. People still use 4:3 monitors in 2018? He also had anime stickers, probably aother one of you freetards.

because freetards snatch them the fuck up
They're shit boxes anyway, only a very small number of them were core2duo, the rest are 32bit trash

2based

Attached: 1529078847780.png (1369x1068, 541K)

>starbucks
I would never drink that non-free coffee.

Attached: proprietary.jpg (480x451, 57K)

dont you have a facebook feed to get back to?

>Don't you feel silly going out with a ten years old notebook?
Why should i? it does the job and i haven't seen any modern laptop that would classify as an upgrade from this thing.

Don't call me a freetard though, that's just mean. I'm happy with W10 LTSB and my proprietary software.

>living in america
>think you can be free
I'm taking my thinkpad with me so that when I eventually leave this shithole I can TRULY be libre.

Don't you have a job to find?

>not using your thinkpad to make america great again

go be a cuck some where else

Attached: 1530077824230.jpg (1000x800, 85K)

A government that allowed projects like MKUltra to exist can never be trusted.
Literally the "revolution" only happened because the adam's family didn't want to pay taxes.
Thousands of people died just so one shitty family can make more money.

do all x220 models have bluetooth?
if not, how can i tell if mine does.

My mother-in-law wants a new laptop, her budget is +-600. She would like to have Ubuntu+windows 10

now thats some revisionist history

no MKUltra, no LSD

no revolution, no Thinkpad Jow Forumsenerals

USA has been winning since 1776, best decision ever

now post some tech homo

Whats the most resolution I can get on my x230?

2560x1600 via dp

I meant as a display mod for the built in screen. But thats also useful to know, so thanks lol.

probably the same, if i remember correctly the mod used the docking station dp lane

This?

Yeah, after a few google searches I found some info. Thanks for the lead my dude.

How can I expand the storage in my x230? I have a 240 ssd in the main port. I heard that there were msata ssds or something like that? There is the docking station with the caddy too.

so i scored a t420 i5 with a cracked screen for $40 on ebay. i was wondering it would be able to be used as a keyboard pc by removing the top and lcd display. will the thinkpad boot if the internal display is not connected and only an external display with DP ?

Can you run Windows 7 on newer Thinkpads? Any driver issues?

>2560x1600 in a 13" screens sounds painful though, mainly because scaling sucks dick in both Windows and Linux.

msata ssd + 2.5" hdd/ssd

my x220 hits 90 under load.

I had this conversation about the x220 before and looked up a review where the reviewer said the same thing about the load temps

I can't see why the t530 would be any different

why the fuck did i greentext that

yes it will

it should work

fug yea

Attached: fug me.jpg (480x360, 10K)

well thanks to the last thread I ordered
Have one to sell? Sell now
LENOVO LAPTOP T430 i5 2.5GHz 180GB SSD 8GB WINDOWS 10 PRO for $225. I hope I didn't get memed too hard. Should I go ahead and order a chink battery now or wait until it arrives?

starbucks coffee is unironically bad

>neckbeard goes outside
>goes outside
your story doesn't make any sense, user

Halp. My T61 died. Doesn't turn on. Doesn't do anything. Wat do?

That seems kind of expensive. Did you buy it off Amazon? I would order an extra battery now.

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Does anyone have experience with Fujitsu business laptops? I can't seem to find much information about them.

Lads where do you buy the stuff for the 1080 mod for the x230? Both the pannel and everything else that may be needed

>thinkbads are relia-

Not helpful, senpai

Nvidia dGPU?

>An 11 year old laptop stopped functioning so that means all the laptops from that line are unreliable

why can't I stop
I have like 20 fucking laptops now, with more than 15 thinkpads

Attached: help.png (762x4252, 676K)

You must be retarded

If you actually use them all you're probably fine.

The Lifebook T734 is an underrated beast

-12.5"
-4th gen Intel
-Socketted CPU
-Pen Input
-DVD drive
-Second battery or HDD can replace the DVD drive
-msata SSD
-LEDs and dedicated buttons
-Expresscard Slot

>x201t.jpg
How do you custom boot the x201t? I thought it wasn't supported.

Full list:
>Latitude E6440 with 1600x900, AMD gpu
>Elitebook 8470p 1600x900 almost mint condition
>Elitebook 8470p 1366x768
>*MAIN COMPUTER* Elitebook 8470p 1366x768 8 gigs of RAM, SSD as boot drive and ultrabay storage drive. Hyperthreading disabled because fuck incel. Was 90 bucks.
>T60 fukken mint. I literally can't find another one like it on ebay. Needs a 64bit CPU and libreboot installed.
>T61
>T500 with a cracked base near the hinge, I'll fix it eventually. And flash libreboot. 1680x1050
>X200, mint condition. I love it but putting any wear on it would be sad. LED display
> X200 LED Somehow found another one in 99% as good condition as the first
>*DEAD* X201 RIP was my daily driver from 2015 to 2017.
>T420 1600x900
>T530 1600x900 with nvidia
>X220T multitouch
>X200T LED, single touch, near mint condition
>X200T LED Also pretty flawless
>T400 CCFL
>T400 CCFL
>X200s, needed a new mobo, now needs a new fan. 1440x900@50 fucking hertz. Still really adorable and I really like it for some reason. Can get 7 hours on linux with a 9cell easy.
>X200T CCFL
>X200T CCFL

>I read on plebbit that you can undo the top screws and pry the screen apart just enough to get at the two screws holding the latch in.
true, though you're going to bust the plastic tabs holding it in. The screen bezel is designed to be taken off starting from the bottom, and put back on starting from the top.
Once you have the bezel off, latch itself is two screws. You don't need to take the whole damn lid off.

>because freetards snatch them the fuck up
Because they're 12 years old so the spare parts hoards have mostly been listed and sold off at this point, and because the X62 used an X60 case, so all the viable X60 got snatched up and converted.

If I wanted bulk purchase refurbish ThinkPads, what is my best option? I'm primarily looking for x201, x220, and x230. T401, T420, and T430 are also acceptable.

Attached: 1528113572625.jpg (1024x624, 199K)

One more time
- 14/15.6" screen, TN or IPS (willing to mod)
- min 1600x900, max 1920x1080
- 3hrs+ Battery Life
- dGPU that's decent for laptop gaming, ie. not a Quadro. CPU with iGPU if I can switch when not using dGPU. The laptop will not be my main system but I'd at least like something better than an Intel 4000.
- Budget: 400-650$CAD.

Thanks eh

Attached: 311824b1_o.png (800x800, 85K)

x220 pros/cons?
Does it have an mSATA port for an SSD?
Is the display IPS?
I've seen two posts in this thread saying the CPUs hitting 90 degrees celcius, is this normal?

So I can just go around taking the screws out while leaving the screen still attached?
Those tablet hinges are annoying to take out and put back in.

Yeah, you don't need to mess with the hinge at all. Just open the lid with it still attached.

[just be careful yonking it around that way, the lid's only strong when fully assembled. You could crack the case right off the hinge if you're slamming it around when it's opened up.]

I just need to open it enough to replace the latch.
I only I technically don't need it but having a hole on top is triggering to my autism.

Got a pretty sweet W540 for work after I asked them
Had to encrypt the full disk since there's sensitive data and it's on gnu+linux, however I'm also trying run windows only applications for other stuff that are either not on Wine, or require so many resources that it becomes shit

I was thinking of getting a dock for it and have windows boot from that, since dual booting an encrypted disk is a pain apparently, and there's already a lot of configuration that I wouldn't want to redo

Any drawbacks like worse performance? Anyone with experience

Attached: 29542965_984425158377013_834896224109565782_n.jpg (460x449, 19K)

Should be fine so long as the throughput from the dock is atleast SATA II

From the HDD to the doc, or from the doc to the W540? (or both?)

Alternatively, am I better off installing a caddie and a separate HDD?

European user here. Will be in NYC for a week in the next period. Where should I look for a thinkpad (possibly x230/x240) at decente price without being stolen by niggas?

My bad, realized you said "from" the doc

Yeah. But both actually. I just assumed the dock had at least a SATA II port for the drive.

how about you let me plow that boipussy
t.nyc

How much to pay for an X200

Honestly if you're that keen on the form factor of the x60/61 series just grab the x61. Superior in every possible way IMO since im not a trannyboot fag

$1, then trannyboot it and resell it to some idiotic freetard for a stupid price

This could be the stupidest post i've ever seen.

Should I enable the security chip on my T420? What about the "Intel TXT Feature" and Security reporting options?

I'm the dude with 6 X200's in various models.
I've paid between $80 for literally mint examples to 15 for an X200T that's in like B grade shape.
I don't think you can do that anymore though, libreboot really ruined the market, people used to avoid the X200 because it didn't have a trackpad and it used to be super cheap.

Thats the reason I'd like it. No Touchpad

wat do?
using loonix btw

Attached: 2018-07-06 18_49_17-Lenovo ThinkPad T420 4236 User Manual (Page 206 of 271).png (848x682, 37K)

I'm so fucking tired of waiting for a Ryzen ThinkPad.

I really want the A485, it's got everything I need and want, but I'd probably settle for the E485, if it would release in the fucking US already.

I wish Lenovo would stop taking shekels from Intel and release their fucking Ryzen ThinkPads.