/spg/ - Smartphone General

Phone of the Year Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread →

Attached: Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-5-5-99-Inch-4GB-64GB-Smartphone-Gold-628325-.jpg (1000x923, 131K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2014&nHeightMax=128&sFormFactors=1&sOSes=2
gsmarena.com/bq_aquaris_m4_5-7841.php
ebay.com/itm/LG-V20-H910-GSM-Factory-Unlocked-64GB-AT-T-T-Mobile-4G-LTE-Smartphone-A/273122361314?epid=232204258&hash=item3f975c7fe2:g:gXQAAOSww1hasxvG#viTabs_0
amazon.com/Sony-Xperia-XZ1-Compact-Unlocked/dp/B074P5FMGC/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>country
Sweden
>carrier
Tele2
>features wanted
Big size, decent camera, battery life past 6h and not apple.
>budget
Unlimited I just want the best bang for the buck

Notduplicatepost716e6xndkwowidjvz

P20 pro or s9+

In the OP

how long untill the lg g7 goes down in price

WHY ARE PHONES SO FUCKING BIG I WANT A PHONE NOT A FUCKING TABLET

Attached: 1511475550995.jpg (601x601, 65K)

Anybody have opinions on Oppo/Vivo? Is oppo the headphone company?

Why do I never hear people talking about sound cards in phones only camera / processors? I like to listen to music on my phone I assume some phones are better than others for this?

iPhone SE, Sony XZ1/XZ2 Compact

get an iPhone SE?

S8 is great.
S9 doesn't improve much.

I want S10 to be good.

I was so sure that I'm getting the S9 but I've read reports that it lags. Should I get the Pixel 2 instead?

>Why do I never hear people talking about sound cards in phones only camera / processors?
because anyone serious about audio isn't going to be using their phones for music. most normies care more about how pictures look and how fast the phone runs, rather than if the audio sounds marginally better through their great value earphones. they aren't putting better money into audio equipment OR are using bluetooth headphones/speakers, which a good sound card in a phone irrelevant. Some OEMs - like LG and HTC - do go out of their way to include godd DACs in their phones though.

I could get Xiaomi Mi A1 for 230€ divided into monthly payments

or I could get Redmi Note 5 AI for 300€ and I'd have to pay at once

dunno, which one or neither?

>phone of the year edition
Fixing op image for you

Attached: 2018060514493238.jpg (753x491, 64K)

>muh gayming phone
this never works out

Specs that rival Redmi Note 5, but sadly not available worldwide and overpriced twofold for what it is.

From what I heard, for audio quality, LG flagships are the best, but on top of it there are things like Onkyo's DAC phone.
The Oppo that make audio devices is controlled by the same company that make Oppo/Vivo phones but their operations are independent.
Some Oppo phones tried to sell their audio quality but it seems like they are actually little other than those sound effects found in other phones

Not him but what about a phone smaller than XZ1/2 Compact which I am currently using, but not ios? (p.s. That 2.8" phone would be too small for daily multimedia abd communication purpose)

>redmi note 5
lel xiaomi shill

Whenever I flash a rom (lineage os or RR) on my t-mobile Galaxy S6 it gives me the wrong model number of the phone. Its always SM-G920W8 (canadian version) instead of the t-mobile version. Also, no matter what I do, I can't get the sim to work. It's always zero signal, and I think this has to do with it detecting the wrong phone model. Does anyone know a way around this?

Gaming just represent one of the most demanding use case and this phone should also work for other purposes

it's not hard to rival a $200 dollar phone pajeet

Anybody else have any input about

Attached: 1530057268451.jpg (722x960, 168K)

Every Android phone smaller than the XZ1 Compact is either ancient shit, or an ultra-low budget phone
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2014&nHeightMax=128&sFormFactors=1&sOSes=2

Nope, sorry.
Here's my hardware. It runs on 6.0 though which is nice.

Attached: IMG_20180706_142204.jpg (1536x1756, 383K)

Also I made sure that I flashed the right versions of TWRP for my phone and the right ROMS.

Answer me I showed you my kot

How often should I charge my phone?

Up until now I've been letting it drop to zero (or close to zero) and then charging it back up to full before disconnecting the charger. I could have sworn this was the thinking man's way to charge your phone, but recently, every article I read states the opposite: that I'm suppose to be charging in small bursts around fifty-ish percent.

Am I being lied to somewhere or what? Batteryfags, please advise.

At least have the decency to sage when you shitpost.

How about gsmarena.com/bq_aquaris_m4_5-7841.php ?

The ideal state for a battery to be is at around half capacity. The further away you are from that (closer to empty, or to full capacity), the more stress or degradation it causes.

Now some people will tell you to keep the battery at 20% to 80% capacity to preserve the battery's health and it's true in a sense. What many don't realise is that when your phone displays the battery is at 0% the battery isn't actually empty, and similarly when it is at 100% it isn't actually full. So there already exists this in-built feature to protect the battery health. So doing the 20% to 80% thing is kind of a overkill, because you end up using only about half of your phone's battery capacity. Of course it won't hurt to do it either, if you know you'll always be near a charger.

What I personally do is try to put the phone to charge when it reaches around 15-20%, but I will let it charge to full 100% so that if I happen to be away from the charger I have the full battery capacity of my phone at use.

>Every Android phone smaller than the XZ1 Compact is either ancient shit, or an ultra-low budget phone
That phone is both.

t. Pic related

Attached: thumb_BK.jpg (1920x1080, 527K)

buying from HK, i'm from Brazil.
but there's a "locked" by carrier pixel?

ebay.com/itm/LG-V20-H910-GSM-Factory-Unlocked-64GB-AT-T-T-Mobile-4G-LTE-Smartphone-A/273122361314?epid=232204258&hash=item3f975c7fe2:g:gXQAAOSww1hasxvG#viTabs_0

Is this a good deal?

Why so overpriced?

Well, did GSMArena's phone finder and it recommended a Asus Zenfone 3 Ultra. Not bad, but I'm rolling with 15' $3 5pin cords from Monoprice and would like to keep those if possible.

Speaking of which, is everyone 100% USB-C now? I never understood the issue with 5pin/micro/whatever it was called.

Nokia 8 or 7 plus? 7 plus is $50 more here

Hell no, most mid-range chinkphones don't have USB-C, flagships yes

Depends on if you want Android support for a year longer, considering they haven't unlocked the bootloader's yet I'd say the extra $50 is worth it

Rn5

What app can combine multiple USB camera streams into a single over layed frame in real time?
so AB
BC
Becomes ABC for the actual viewed frame?
I'm trying to rig stereoscopic vision for a helmet for a set of armor and am not interested in planting a seperate Windows CE runtime environment over an Android based answer.
For the test article, we are using an LG G7 Thinq as a HUD.

8 has better performance, higher res screen and is more compact, 7 Plus is bigger but smaller bezels, newer (longer update support), and has a better camera and bigger battery.

Personally I don't do much gaming so I'd go with the 7 Plus.

Sorry, my bad. What carrier you on and what's your budget?

He's on Verizon, he can't make up his mind for shit, he's been spamming /spg/ threads for the past 2.5 weeks at least looking for buying advice

Apparently he and the other user aren't the same guy

Proof? The autist is so desperate I wouldn't put it past him that he's posting as two different anons

The question then is what mid-range chink phone has 4+ RAM and 4k+ mAh? I've been Moto for the last 2 phones and haven't been disappointed. before that it was whatever year or 2 old phone I got for free when renewing the contract ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No idea what this market has become.

>The question then is what mid-range chink phone has 4+ RAM and 4k+ mAh?
It's in the OP

Are you on Verizon? You realize you don't have much choice in the way of phones, right?

Had the S9+ for a couple of weeks now, no lag.

Best FOSS or free without ads video player for Android?

Does it have to be 4k? The Zuk Z2 has 3.5k on a 5" screen, USB-C, and 4 GB.

And an SD820 I might add.

Sony XZ1 Compact is currently on sale for $359 on Amazon
amazon.com/Sony-Xperia-XZ1-Compact-Unlocked/dp/B074P5FMGC/

Yes user quints

I'd like it to be at least 3.5k, so I'll take a look. For those that didn't see my OP, I'm on a turbo with 3.9k mAh and 805SD.

At least the S9 has Treble Support

I'm planning on getting a mid-range phone and one of those small mirrorless cameras instead of a flagship smartphone, so are there any good mid-range phones on CDMA networks in the US? I'm on Verizon.

I'd prefer lengthy battery life (3500+ mAh battery), 1080p OLED screen that can get fairly bright outside, though I can settle for an LCD panel.
I'd also like a SD 630 or higher and options for 64GB ROM/6GB RAM though 4GB is still fine. A halfway decent camera for use if needed in the event that it's more convenient or if I forget the mirrorless camera would be nice as well. Also important is good software support, preferably stock or near stock Android 8.1 and higher with support for Android P.
Thanks in advance.

How's the battery life on yours? I think mine has gone down the shitter due to the amount of times I've used Turbo Charging on it, if I'd known that Turbo Charging quickly deteriorates the battery I never would've used it.

It does heat up the battery which is that makes it deteriorate

If you're on Verizon pretty much no chinkphone will work. You're basically limited to Motorola phones in the midrange (Moto G5+, G6, X4, Z/Z2/Z3 Play). One of the few actual chinkphones that does work on Verizon is Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, global version of Mi Mix 2S should work too as it has the same bands.

Read above.

Does anyone here use Google fi? How is it?

Why are there no G7 drop test videos?

Please fucking help me. lm trying to root my new samsung j7 prime by it's fucking not and there is no OEM options in settings.

Attached: tumblr_nrjmswcMrK1rj4gm2o1_500.jpg (500x281, 42K)

forums.xda-developers.com

VLC

What variant is it? G610 something?

Smj727t1

I'm sorry but that version cannot be rooted.

Do you have any experience with the Mi Mix 2? Looks like an odd phone, specs are amazing for the price though. My next option is an Essential Phone but it's $500 at the moment.

Snag a used one off swappa

Have one. Would highly recommend it. Lineageos on it runs flawlessly.

I thought so you made it very hard and annoying to root and use custom ROMs etc

Will chinks ever release another phone as great as the Zuk Z2 ever again?
>5 inch 1080p screen
>4GB of ram
>64 of storage
>snapdragon 820
>home button you could use as a navigation bar
>huge custom ROM community
>only $200

Attached: 20160712152003_19039.jpg (1000x1000, 61K)

Zuk cuck

How do l uninstall built in apps without rooting?

You don't

Then what the fuck am l suppose to do? Are you saying that on fucked?

Not him, but yes you are fucked, you can't root the phone.

adb

Root isn't hard at all. Someone released a tool called Xperifix which installs magisk and tarp for you. The ROM community of the phone is pretty dead though. There is only LineageOS and Resurrection Remix .

I want a gf

Have had it since the nexus5x, now on moto x4.
Not bad, not great. Good if you don't use data much, and live in a bigger city, but since it uses sprint/tmobile rural signal is spotty. Paying under 40 bucks is pretty nice though.

I'd recommend it, but only if you want one of the phones offered and live in a populated area.

Who is /our carrier/ in USA?

Attached: 1527576816597.jpg (1080x1287, 219K)

Globe mobile

That is too broad of a question, really
But I throw my vote in for Straight Talk

actually I don't know, there's some fucking faggot user around me using the same IPs as H2O and he's gotten them fucking banned a bunch of times for stupid shit, one was posting cp, another was calling for raids
I have to appeal to bans and it wasn't even me doing anything, FUCK

How's the Nokia 7 Plus? It looks exactly like what I'd want to upgrade to from my Nexus 6P.

Is the v20 any good? Can get them for around $150-$200 on Craigslist or offer up, but not sure if LG's still bootloop

V20 is known to bootloop as well. But a lot of people like it as it was the last flagship of any of the major manufacturers to have a replaceable battery and IR blaster in the same phone so it has its admirers

name plz

Why does clover fail to load images?

Yeah the removable battery and sd card support were the major selling points for me, I've been using the Moto x pure for the past 2yrs it's great except for the shit battery life

Would a Moto X4 be a decent upgrade from a Droid Turbo? I've been looking for a new mid-range phone compatible with Verizon and this seems to be the one but the more I look at the specs the more I'm unsure if this is actually an upgrade or a downgrade.

Dear smartphonefags of /spg/ lend me your (You)s
its well past time to retire my old phone and I've narrowed it down to the samsung J6 $300ish or A8 $600ish
my main concerns are width (would buy anything but samsung if anyone else made sub 71mm devices anymore) and effective battery life

since they have the same battery and are both 14nm chipsets but differ in resolution (HD vs FHD) and clockspeed (1.6x8 vs 2.2x2 & 1.6x6) would the lower res lower clockspeed device have a longer effective battery life?
-t cheap bastard still using my first smartphone from 2010

Attached: 1530387312643.png (382x973, 726K)

i cant get electra jb to work.

It's an upgrade over the Droid Turbo, yea

Why in the fuck would you buy Samsung mid-range devices?

because they are the only ones making phones instead of phablets?

What screen size are you looking for? The Xperia XA2 is a good midranger from Sony and it's a 5.2" phone
Shit, the XZ2 is 5.2" as well and that's a flagship for under $600