Opinions on smart home tech like philips hue and other stuff like smart plugs...

Opinions on smart home tech like philips hue and other stuff like smart plugs? Thinking about saving up and getting a philips hue starter kit despite its crazy fucking price

Attached: 91eI53Vt-HL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1000, 244K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcmonitors.info/factors-influencing-pc-monitor-viewing-comfort/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Botnet.

>fill every corner of the house with artificial colours/light
>why do I have insomnia?
>why my eyes hurt?
>why don't I feel $5000 wasted comfy?

I have the Hue.

2 RGB bulbs in the nightstand lights
1 RGB strip behind the dresser along the bedroom wall
2 white in the living room
2 white in the laundry room

The RGB bulbs help when I'm working nights, and when I get the celling fan installed, I can set it to change color based on room temp, which is nice.

The white bulbs in the living room come on when either my wife or I get home, and the bulbs in the laundry room come on when the washer or dryer are done.

But I'm not really using the Hue software for most of it, I'm using OpenHAB.

i have a similar setup. i use alexa to control them and it is very useful

>fuck bitches under lights

The fuck is a smart plug? Is that like some sort of botnet controlled buttplug for faggots that want google to literally not just figuratively rape them?

Fpbp

useless retardation

for what purpose? I mean really are you that addicted to stupid technology for the sake of it being shiny or new?
>Thinking about saving up...
That right there is where I stopped reading. You're literally considering saving money to go get stupid RGB bulbs controllable via WiFi. Really? Save your money or invest it into something. Maybe something that will get you out of the house some more?

Or shit don't buy anything. Just save your money and go outside. Plenty of light.

I have special glasses for seeing, special drugs for sleeping, learn to evolve bitch

I have one. All I can say is that I don't like the software at all, and the bulbs break easily

I spent $12 of a set of Ikea adjustable LED strips
No botnet and it just werks.

I guess it's a neat toy but I'm not home often enough to warrant using those things. I'd definitely coordinate everything via Tasker/IFTTT though.

I have a couple smart plugs because timing my lights to come on, the coffee maker to start and the news all when I wake up is fantastic.

Be careful of buying any chinese specific smart devices. I bought a sonoff smart plug from amazon, and it phones home to Chinese servers.

>It is all a botnet in the end
If you aren't flashing your smart plugs / devices and setting them on a segmented subnet you are just exfiltrating your data to the CIA N I G G A S .

start by getting a more comfortable couch

>hue
LMAO

>Having the blue and green lights disrupt your circadian rythem every night

Now SO¥ can you become?

>my wife
My're
ftfy

disgusting

first post botnet post

They even pay for it.

Looks kinda nice, but I'm told you're doing it wrong if you spend much time at home.

I have no difficulty sleeping because I eat clean. I don't even try to sleep. I just lay down when I'm exhausted or my back muscles give out.

why not just buy some led strips?

You can set it to work in an isolated AP no internet access for the smart devices

Sedation isn't restorative sleep. Enjoy your early-onset Alzheimer's.

This looks truly, truly awful. Unbelievably tacky.

what game is that from? The graphics are great

Philips Hues uses PWM for dimming LEDs. PWM dimming is widely regarded by the monitor industry as very bad
pcmonitors.info/factors-influencing-pc-monitor-viewing-comfort/

enjoy constant flashing lights in your home

Its like lawn and garden obsession for people without yards.

Recently bought a Best thermostat. Super comfy.

Bunch of incandescent lights and analog timers.
because for some reason these fuckers are still being sold.

Attached: IMG_20180626_151301c.jpg (3477x1773, 1.05M)

>philips hue
Does it still use DRM infested lamps?

>not getting blue filters for your lights so you don't need to have blue filtering glasses

I have about 12 Philips hue lights and I like it a lot.
But I think there are cheaper options now.

Or you could not be a retard and use them in a way that actually helps your sleep cycle.
I set them to daylight during the day and very warm white in the evening.
They also serve as a wake-up light, simulating sunrise.

esp8266 and adressable LED strip instead, cheaper, better, DRM free

They have no visible flicker at all.
They're some of the best LED lights you can buy in terms of quality of light.

internet doesnt work because of these cheap china products hooked up to the web

Just buy the chink meme bulbs. They are like 10 bucks a piece on ali

sadly you cannot escape the wireless side of things, so the only real way of doing anything like this is:

>separate ssid on isolated vlan
>no internet connectivity
>roll your own control server that interacts with the isolated equipment
>build your own app that interacts with the control server

basically the same methods that would be used on ipcams would be extended, the key is to have the networking ability to properly segment the devices and then you can come up with a way to control the stuff yourself without needing the dumb cloud shit. if something literally HAS to use the cloud, buy something else.