My sister gave me the HP stream 11 laptop

My sister gave me the HP stream 11 laptop...
The main issue with this laptop is that Windows 10 is so fucking bloated that it ends up slowing down a 4GB netbook with a decent mobile processor.
I'm thinking about installing windows 7 ultimate with special pack 1 in order to make it look clean and remove the fucking bloat.
Will that improve this walmart laptop or is this netbook a $200 paperweight?

Attached: walmart laptop.jpg (770x433, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9KFc6l8jrVs
fossbytes.com/reasons-to-use-ubuntu-linux-advantage/
ark.intel.com/products/128983/Intel-Celeron-N4100-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2_40-GHz
ark.intel.com/products/91832/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N3060-2M-Cache-up-to-2_48-GHz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You're best bet is to just remove the bloatware.
youtube.com/watch?v=9KFc6l8jrVs

I don't think you can take that laptop's UEFI BIOS into CSM mode. If you can then sure why not.

Replying from an HP Stream 13.

I can run W10 without the OS bringing it to a crawl. I will say though that it was blazing fast with Ubuntu. Very easy to install and it had no trouble with the WiFi right from the start.

Even without the bloat, I still fucking hate this OS.
Does Win 7 ult work on a netbook?
It actually just a matter of pressing f10 on boot.
What distro are you using?
Do you think that the stream 11 is very different from the 14 or is it just the screen size?

Win 7 is literally just as bloated and shit stop deluding yourself.

You want something clean get Linux on it or go buy a Chromebook.

>It actually just a matter of pressing f10 on boot.
Lol no, there are laptops coming out using newer UEFI versions that drop support for CSM, Surface laptops do this and I've seen some newer cheaper lelnovo and acer laptops do the same, you can install Windows 7 but you'll need to find/create a UEFI version and disable Secure Boot still. If you can't disable Secure Boot (again, some BIOS disable this too) then you're stuck with windows 8 or newer.

Get fucking rid of Windows. Install Ubuntu (because it's easy to install and it's still Linux), and if at some point in the future you feel like you wanna get more advanced, install something different.
Customize Ubuntu so it doesn't look like shit.

Last one I used was Xubuntu 16.04. Right now I'm running W10 again.

IIRC the 11 and 13 are just size variants but the 14 is a different beast. In any case I've been super happy with my Stream.

What distro should I use then?
I don't want many compatibility problems.
All I have done on this pc is to make the BIOS/UEFI to boot in legacy mode.
Maybe Stream 13 user could give me a hand.
Alright, that sounds good.
Can you give me few pros and cons on ubuntu and some reasons on why not to use win 7?

>BIOS/UEFI to boot in legacy mode.
Then it's fine. Next step is install Windows 7 and see if you've got driver support or not. HP should be fine I don't think they stop their software from installing on 7 even if it's meant for 10.

That's all I had to do to on my Stream 13. Except I think I somehow had disabled the ability to hit F10 on boot so I had to used W10's advanced restart page or whatever. There's a page in the PC Settings where you can tell it to reboot straight into BIOS. Worked just fine from there though.

Do I go to their website to find that out?
After I changed the BIOS boot to legacy, I had to press esc instead of f10.
Now it even shows me which drive to boot up from.

>If you can't disable Secure Boot
Really? Give me exact models to avoid them.

Yeah then you're set. Go make a USB installer for your distro of choice and try it out. It was great having the thing boot in like 7 seconds and idle at under 200MB RAM. I also found the trackpad to be much more responsive with default settings.

I took a look at ubuntu and it is nice to see that the ISO is under 2 gigs, this means that any cheap 2 GB USB stick would do.
Really excited for this!
I have always been a win 7 fanboy, but now I'm willing to take the GNU/Linux pill.

I couldn't give you exact models off the top of my head but know they are out there, I work in a repair shop every now and then and I've seen a few. I have a Windows 7 USB PE tool for testing hardware but requires Legacy Mode/CSM and Secure Boot Off for obvious reasons so when I run into these laptops I usually have to pull them apart or run a live Ubuntu to do the tests now.

Oh guys, I forgot to let you all know that I actually disable secure boot.

As far as basic usability goes you're not even going to notice the difference.

To get it running lean and fast, htop and Google are your friends.

Now that I'm thinking about it...
What "modules" do I have to install to get WIFI and Bluetooth on Ubuntu?

So... I can still install gnu/linux?

I don't see why not, so long as your distribution supports UEFI booting and possibly Secure Boot.

Wait,why does the distro have to support UEFI?
Why couldn't you install a distro that boots on CSM and just have the machine to boot on CSM?

The packages you will need are already included. Unlike other distros, Ubuntu has no qualms about bundling proprietary blobs with their standard installation. WiFi and BT will work right out of the box.

Some machines are either locking to UEFI or not even having the option for CSM booting. Like I said, Microsoft Surface comes to mind. And cheaper/newer Lenovo/Acer laptops I have seen begin to do it as well.

>proprietary blobs
Are you talking about apache?

Why are modern machines adopting UEFI over CSM?
Is it just that they want to fuck people over or to protect the PC from threats that the NSA exploits anyways?

GPT partition booting thus supporting drives larger than 2TB is the biggest thing that comes to mind

Oh shit, I forgot about that.
Now I remember that BIOS has only 4 partitions.

>adopting uefi over csm
CSM is an support module for UEFI.

Just search the pros and cons you fucking mong
>more secure
>faster
>stable
>free in both ways
>Euramerican Customiztion
fossbytes.com/reasons-to-use-ubuntu-linux-advantage/

I have this same system, with only 2 GB of ram. It's downright painful to use. I wiped it and flashed arch with GNOME. Still slow, but much better.

When I have to run a heavy IDE I drop to dwm to save memory.

4GB ram, lol
Install Linux.

>fast
>Ubuntu
You must've never tried alpine/LFS/whatever else

Lubuntu. It's lightweight, (idles on aobout 180mb of ram on my machine) and is very noob friendly. (also is not ugly). Have fun

Windows 7 will run faster, especially if it has an HDD. But it won't be a huge difference.
Which CPU is it?

ark.intel.com/products/128983/Intel-Celeron-N4100-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2_40-GHz

Get an Intel Gemini Lake N4100 notebook instead

Braswell is outdated

Not OP but IIRC they're powered by Celerons.

Well, if it's not an Atom it should be usable.
Lubuntu should run better than current Windows and XP will run even better, but it's kinda obsolete at this point.
Windows 8.1 is not a bad choice either, with a Start menu replacement.

Deepin Linux
Neverware OS (Chromium)
Windows 10 AME

Install ReactOS or WinXP. Don't be stupid with what you download and disable JavaScript

Lubuntu famalam, it works fast

It's CPU is roughly the same as mid range Core 2 Duo and you're saying it can't run W10. Literally PEBKAC.

Windows 10 fucking blows dick and randomly slows down completely usable hardware with all kinds of ridiculous background processes sucking up writes and random slowdowns

t. owns one of op's laptops with a higher generation processor, still replaced windows 10 for performance

I would probably believe you if I wasn't running W10 on T400 with 4GB RAM for years. But I have and that's how I know you're just fucking retarded and can't even set up Windows.

ark.intel.com/products/91832/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N3060-2M-Cache-up-to-2_48-GHz

N3060 is dual-core and older Braswell core, it's not usable in this day and age