I have a really old netbook i just found in my wardrobe...

I have a really old netbook i just found in my wardrobe, what could you do with a horrendously outdated machine with pretty much no value.

It's an aspire one like pic related
Specs
CPU: Atom N270
SSD: 16GB
RAM: 1GB

I also have a modern $3000 gaming laptop so i have no need for an emulator or any sort of portable media station.

Attached: 200300-acer-aspire-one-10-inch.jpg (333x333, 15K)

Seed box

Ironically, you can put Windows 10 on it...

You may also consider Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Heck even Kubuntu is showing some low ram usage these days.

I put easy distros like Xubuntu or BunsenLabs on my old laptops, install LibreOffice and give them to super poor college students. I do the same for students who find junk or super cheap machines with missing HDDs via LiveUSB.

Might be something to consider if you're still in uni or keep in contact with your alma mater. Needy students will be arriving next month.

I'm not overly sure how they work but that sounds useful, maybe i need a bigger hard drive

Yeah i was thinking of putting a different OS on it for shits and gigs.

Never really thought about that, yeah i'm in uni but i don't know how useful it will be though from what i remember using it, it struggles to watch low quality youtube videos with 8MBs connection.

The first one I ever did was by special request from my department chair, for this girl who was working until 2am most days to pay her own way through. That laptop kept her from having to gamble on getting raped walking to the only 24h computer lab on campus after work just to do webassign. Trust me, anything is worth it for people who have literally nothing.

Why did anyone ever think netbooks were a good idea? Those were dark times.

>past tense
I use a netbook as my primary computer to this day. It just masquerades as a "cloudbook" these days. Cheap as chips but it handles the basics. To be fair solid state storage and multi-core CPUs have changed the experience significantly.

You know how safe campuses are right? It sure saves time but it doesn't make someone safer. I'd that uni is an outlier and somehow it actually is that dangerous, she should leave asap. You literally make this sound worse than the Congo.

My alma mater is in the middle of a city which isn't safe for a young woman to traverse alone at 2am. The campus proper is fine but the bad parts are just one block over. Also I'm taken aback by how firmly you needed to negate the safety issue at a uni and city you cannot even name.

Chromebooks are still around

Sexual assault is more common on collage campuses than in the Congo.

browser video playback is usually pretty bad - try playing the media with mpv and/or streamlink to open mpv on various web video urls (youtube/twitch whatever).

this

That's a bold statement. Do you have proof?

What's the battery capacity?

Sexual assault on campus is talking to a woman without written permission, sexual assault in the congo is recorded when the victims body is found.

>modern $3000 gaming laptop

idiot

You can use it as a pi-hole (it runs just fine on x86 pcs too).

guys hes cool hes got a three-THOUSAND DOLLAR GAMING LAPTOP. What are fucking poor? Also price means fuck all about performance, its probably a fucking macbook with an intel atom in it.

You could format it for a minimalist display, and run it as a literal email/typewriter hooked on a cloud service or home printer.

But unless you're planning to write that novel, it's pretty much a dust collector.

That's admirable, but sometimes I wonder how fucking poor american actually is. I'm on 3rd world shithole and most people can afford $100 phone and $200 craptop.

this doesn't have any value at all OP

better to donate this, then get an x201 to replace it as a beater laptop that you'll take anywhere, which you wouldn't miss at all if you were to lose it

lol, yeah. i hate those fuckin kids saying I GOTTA $4000 GAMONG COMPUTER. Its obviously an over priced prebuilt when they just day price.

Put a FSF approved distro on it.

This netbook is 100% hackintosh compatible or so I heard

Upgrade RAM if possible, get it off XP, and use it as an internet browsing machine and nothing else.

I had one of those with windows 10, it has two sd card slots

Put ubuntu on it and turn it into a portable shitposting machine

Why is he an idiot? Are you mad because you're poor? :3

If you're wealthy enough to afford a $3000 dollar laptop why would you use this outdated hardware for anything?

1GB of RAM and this slow CPU with integrated graphics is going to struggle with modern software like Chrome and with stuff like HD video. A word processing machine is about all that it's good for.

it's more about how American higher education costs a fucking arm and a leg

Because you could spend $2700 on a desktop that would blow it out of the water and a Thinkpad for when he's on-the-go. Idiot

So dividing data into two separate devices that are all compromises on their own. Top kek

>he doesn't use programs that allow for continuity between the two devices

Attached: 1298792470708.png (276x302, 33K)

>he had to use it
Ultra cuck

:)

Attached: NetBSD.png (1200x919, 18K)

>so one device that's has shitty portability and shitty performance
literally compromise: the device

>I also have a modern $3000 gaming laptop
summer

They don't even have libraries in the Congo

Attached: IMG_20180707_131154.jpg (1080x1209, 278K)

It's the land of opportunity, my friend. Fuck, I love it here

Just go to community college then

throw it into the trash right now
netbooks are pieces of shit

Attached: 1504093094647.jpg (1024x461, 154K)

There are hobos living on my campus and one of them killed a student with a knife in broad daylight last year