Is it worth learning?

Is it worth learning?

Attached: 500px-ISO_C++_Logo.png (500x562, 25K)

No mortal can fully learn C++

if it fits your needs yes

no
especially in 2018+

Remove last ++ and yes that superior arian man language worth learning

>arian

++ stands for bloatware. Learn C

Like with any programming language, learn it if there's something you need to program in it.

Trying to write a game engine? C++ would be fine to use in that case.

Want to install and configure a web server? You might want to use something like Java or Node.js instead.

>arian

assembly, C and C++

those are the languages programmers use (or used) to write the most demanding software - operating systems, web browsers, databases, AAA games, compilers, professional audio/image/video editing software and so on

so yeah, it is useful

yes, the good old writing a triple A title in assembly and not using an inhouse engine which allows me to use C#, classic

Yes.
It's always accumulate to gain more knowledge.

up to a point all games were written in assembly. not anymore obviously

>C#
the scripting language of the engine doesn't really matter. a lot of engines use javascript or lua or similar. you can swap "AAA games" for "game engines" as the demanding software listed if it is to apply modern game dev

We use AVR C/C++ for our embedded systems at my job. I am very happy that I code a lot of C++ in my freetime too.

>arian

Life is too short to learn C++.

Yes if you need to do some sort of systems programming, make sure you stick to modern standards

Ask me why I know you are peruvian.

aR1an

Much better alternatives exist now. But for low lvl crap these two languages are the best.

yes

Idiots think they need to learn every aspect of a language to use it effectively.
You are not even supposed to use every feature of C++.
Do you people even know it? Jesus fucjibg Chris t.

Bump.

Depends on what you want to do.
I'm in game-dev, so it's a must for me.

Attached: ppp.jpg (399x385, 37K)

Only if you're not a brainlet

if you aren't a pussy

This. Even Stroustrop said he’s only like a 7/10 in C++.

t. Jesus fucjibg Chris

I believe every programmer worth his salt should know at least the basics of C. That being said, you should only learn C++ if you want to. C++ is still a widely used language and is pretty much the go-to language for anything that has a massive scale but requires high performance, such as compilers, game engines, etc. Many traditionally C based programs have also been ported to some form of C++. If you have a reason to learn C++, like a job or contribution to some code base then go ahead and learn it.

That being said, the memes are definitely true. C++ is a monolithic language, no one is actually expected to learn even half of the C++ standard. It's got a ton of baggage from being backwards compatible with C and going through a million iterations. OOP in general is an ugly paradigm. But it's still a perfectly fine programming language that you can use to get pretty much anything done.

Keep using unreal 3 and unity you absolute faggot

Do you need to write some kind of large high performance application such as a game, simulation, load bearing server, productivity application etc. that would benefit from both speed and being manageable (as opposed to C, which is a slog to do anything in)? Use C++.

Do you need to do anything else? Use another language.

Just learn C and you'll basically know C++ and JJava

>arian

>Just learn C and you'll basically know C++
That's retarded. You know not of what you speak.

Just fake it and learn python, SQL and JS. That's all you'll ever need to land a decent job anyway.

So no.

People who say C++ is a good programming language are dumb. Y'all motherfuckers need to shut the fuck up and go back to CS 101. C++ an ass of a language and is still doing nearly as well as it does out of sheer inertia and literally nothing else. Every single real developer who says C++ is good is either a lying little kid who thinks he's cool for using a "real" language or a crusty old fart who've been too busy manually hardcoding his own diabetes medicine to look outside in the last 15 years.

>b-but, but...
NOT BUTS. C++ is shit. Every single possible positive thing you could say about C++ involves C++ acting like some language other than C++. Even now I can hear your filthy cheetos-stained mechanical keyboards rattling away, typing those same old tired bullshit arguments about "performance", "optimization" and how it gives "good coders" the power to do amazing things (and make lots and lots of hair-pulling mistakes). Except you pissheads forget to mention one fatal detail: All these amazing things are only possible because C++ allows you to drop down into C and manually reinvent the wheel every fucking time. C++ is at its best... when it's actually C.
In contrast, when C++ is used As Intended™ you get literally nothing out of it but a compiled version Python with irritating syntax, annoying header files, frustratingly obtuse compiler errors, aggravatingly small standard library and a rage-inducingly fussy manual memory management.

>b-b-but doesn't that m-mean C++ p-possesses flexibility that other langua--
I SAID NO BUTS YOU STAMMERING DICKSHEATH. C++ is only that way because it's a frankenstein's monster of a cruft-ridden idiotic attempt at modernly squaring a 1967 circle. If you had any sense you'd realize what a goddamn mess it is and switch to Rust already.

Attached: 1529716866264.jpg (429x600, 160K)

>and switch to Rust already.
had me until the end, excellent bait

Nice pasta (you)

rust has all the problems that C++ has and more.
yes this includes memory bugs and race conditions.
prove me wrong, protip: you can't.

I didn't say it was good, I said you should use it if you want to build a large high performance application.

C libraries are shit though

>and switch to Rust already
wew lad
Say cheese, faggot.

Attached: cringe.gif (575x420, 507K)

>arian++

Attached: 1493657333641.jpg (500x456, 59K)

>OOP in general is an ugly paradigm
I always see people shitting on OOP, but is there really a better alternative? Procedural is even worse and functional, while being nice, is slow because of immutability.

You shouldn't disregard it completely.
Just don't use it like this and you're ok.

Attached: 1460290687776.png (1948x858, 152K)

embedded, computation, drivers/extensions: C
otherwise c++

You'll basically know like 90% of the syntax desu not him btw

>as opposed to C, which is a slog to do anything in
peak onions

It's a little exaggerated but it's pretty accurate. Still love OOP though

Enjoy freeing "strings" and passing length around with pointers

What was the post that triggered mods to delete???????

>t. Raspberry-Pi fag

at least tell us what you want to do with it in the thread fag

Attached: Screenshot_20180708-133229.jpg (1080x1920, 622K)

Attached: Screenshot_20180708-133244.jpg (1080x1920, 748K)

i can't tell if you screencapped this for the cringe or you actually think that user's opinion means anything.
Oh wait you're a phoneposter.

Attached: 1528480307607.jpg (500x332, 31K)

ya i'd say so

>ends it with switch to rust
its like get on the floor walk the dinosaur all over again

hello Jow Forumsbrogramming

The post was still visible to me since I'd opened the thread before it was trashed so I decided to screencap it for mr. user. Calm your autism

I don't like languages where you depend too much on an IDE.

C# is a nice language but you need an IDE to get around big ASP.NET MVC projects.

It's why I like Python and Go. Vim is enough.

So I recently bought an arduino and I like coding in C.
At uni I learned java, but C is like real world interactions through sensors and microcontrollers.
Whether learning it will have any real world job opportunities remains to be seen however. But I enjoy it.

what does your shitty blogpost have to do with c++

Attached: 1531011744840.png (1260x1042, 270K)

no wonder Jow Forums hates this fucking guy