Home server general - /hsg/

/hsg/ - Home server general

Discuss building, setting up your own homeserver and maintaining the services and demons on it. This is all about taking control over your own services. Not leaving things up to some weird company that doesn't have your best interests at heart.

AWESOME SELFHOSTED! github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted

[I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?]

RPi3, Asus Tinker or Odroid XU4/HC1.

Are you interested in learning GNU+Linux or BSD administration and configuration better? Becoming a openrc expert? want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

[News]
Gentoo hacked archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-announce/message/dc23d48d2258e1ed91599a8091167002
hard drives fail backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-q1-2018/
STYLISH BROWSER EXT IS A VIRUS robertheaton.com/2018/07/02/stylish-browser-extension-steals-your-internet-history/

[Chat] using libre clients only
discord.gg/9vZzCYz
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_

Attached: image.jpg (1400x933, 326K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/DS_NAS_spec.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have an old dell dimension home computer running pfsense with a gigabit NIC so it has two interfaces. It just werks somehow.

Then I have an old media centre computer that runs the services I need including web hosting etc. Again somehow these just seem to cope even though being way off server spec.

The media centre computer runs Arch Linux because that's what I was in to when I was setting it up a few years ago.

Can I improve without changing hardware?

So I have an old i5 650 HP box running pfsense only doing basic stuff with suricate and such but I feel like it waste.
What are other suggestions I can add too pfsense? Thinking of adding a VPN to it.

I'm using pfsense as a VPN but only for when I'm using open WiFi. It works but means my ISP gets even more of my data.

>Odroid HC1

Why are you shilling the outdated version instead of the far superior, improved HC2?

Just changed the thermal paste off my small Elitedesk 800 Mini home server.

pfSense has a built-in OpenVPN server.

And 2 others but I can't remember which

>Airsonic make my fanless Orange Pi+ 2 overheat and it isn't responding anymore, not even SSH
>My "home server" isn't at my home

Attached: 771c16e6812156913fae48025ef626cbimagejpeg.jpg (476x687, 28K)

Best solution for a music server, with clients being browsers, or ios devices, principally?

>go to Op selfhost link
>find media streaming
>audio streaming
>search the best one that fit your needs and autism
>set it up
>profit

IOS users really need to be spoofed everything, not even capable of googling it by themself or clicking in the link already provided by Op.

>Spoofed

someone teach me how to spoof iOS users

>a huge fucking list
yeah, but which ones are worth looking into

Stop shilling BSD, is shit and you should feel ashamed for promoting that shit.

Because OP is a retard just like you (and just about anyone else in this thread) who thinks shitboxes with less power than your phone are servers

How important is ECC RAM?

>MSI H110I PRO Motherboard
>Intel Celeron G3900 Skylake
>SilverStone Nitrogon NT07-115X
>Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2133 DC 2x4GB
>Intel 600p SSD M.2 NVMe - 128GB
>4xHGST Deskstar NAS 7200 RPM 3TB
>U-NAS NSC-400

Can recommend this build for a nice stable fileserver. I've also got an XOfR i2p router going.

Backup
>Seagate Ironwolf 10TB
Every month or so I connect the drive to do a backup through a USB 3.0 docking station.

Is it worth it to set up the boot drive as L2ARC for deduplication?

Attached: fileserver.png (626x509, 54K)

>consumer grade disks
>motherboard with reenforced PCIE slots for retards who drop their computers
>gaymer ram
you're a retard too

Is Celeron j4105 a good NAS chip? 10w tdp but no ecc.

>Celeron j4105
>Intel® AES New Instructions YES
aside from ECC this is the only other feature you would want.

>>consumer grade disks
The humanity.
>>motherboard with herpa derp
Ok.
>>gaymer ram
Cheapest RAM of that specification*

Wanna try again, Internet tough guy?

you're poor and it is reflected by your choices

HGST NAS drives are suitable for RAID dumbshit.

They're normal desktop drives you retard

hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/DS_NAS_spec.pdf
>Error rate (non-recoverable, bits read)
>1 in 10^14

UltraStars are the enterprise class disks

And they're still suitable for RAID.

>I wish I knew why people chose enterprise class disks

How important is your data?

God damn you are dumb. I'll bet you spent $300 on 2TB enterprise drives just to feel smart. I've got some snake oil for you as well if you are interested.

probably because they write an enterprise level of data to them. most of my disks are just a huge landfill of data. they will be obsolete in terms of speed and capacity before the error rate gets to them... and if it does it's still in RAID1 or 10.

Scale and use case determines whether you need ECC and enterprise disks or not. Why waste the money, even if you're rich?

>only spending $300 on disks

>snake oil
Look at unrecoverable error rates and MTBFs you retard

>they write an enterprise level of data to them
god you're retarded

>and if it does it's still in RAID1 or 10.
you have no idea what RAID is for do you retard?

>desperately justifying your poor decisions

Attached: 10GbE (S2D SOFS Rebuild).png (3360x2100, 533K)

>>desperately justifying your poor decisions
Guess you gave up.

it's just a meme

>you have no idea what RAID is for do you retard?
disk failures

Is that all you got?

Where do I start learning about networking and general server stuff? It's such an expansive field I get lost.

data integrity
what are we talking about? are you trying to imply raid won't work with non enterprise disks?

Start with subnets and then look at switches, routing. Look at how your ISP assigns you an IP and then have a look at subnetting out your network and VLANs

What's the name of that trend where people who just learned about something act like they're hot shit and the masters of it?
For example

t. autist with thousands of ameribucks invested in homeservers

He's implying you shouldn't have that capability without spending money on meme enterprise drives.

HC2 is the same thing, just for a 3.5" HD

>saw this on imgur couple of days ago

Yeah anyone that came across that post what exactly was he talking about with 9 other hours? a big internal network or just a way for the family to connect to it easier? idk...

Lmao what do you think a server is?

Are you using a VPN without encripted comunication?

> Encripted

No I'm using openvpn with TLS 1.2 and shit

Don't really know wether this is the right adress but I'm trying to run a webpage locally on my computer. (5etools.com). The site hosts a download to a zip archive with all the HTML files and some other stuff I don't know anything about.
Opening the HTML files however doesn't give me version I can see online, the pages are almost empty.
I tried Edge, Chrome and Firefox and tried adding "--allow-file-access-from-files" to the shortcut but it doesn't work for me.
Any ideas?

Any recommendations for a cheap mITX or µATX that can take a 1220v3 and comes with ECC DDR3 + at least 4 SATA ports?

Do you have TBs of data to store under zfs?
No, then no problem
Yes, buy it

Because the stuff that is usually there is being loaded from the server...

it's all there
read the stuff about how to use the zip file from the website. chrome should have no problem opening the index. firefox needs some tweak I forget what it is.

Already asked in 5eg, no reply so far.
Unfortunately none of the browsers I tried did the trick. I followed the instructions of the readMe
"raw.githubusercontent.com/TheGiddyLimit/TheGiddyLimit.github.io/master/chrome-tutorial.png"
But this didn't change anything for me.

Adding to this, the readme says that Firefox should open the files with no problem but this appears to be either outdated or it's a problem on my end. Chrome doesn't work, nor does Edge.

Redownloading it and opening it again with Firefox did the trick.
Case closed. Thanks for the help anway. Have a nice day.

You guys think I can refunction this into a server? I am abandoning this build entirely when my new parts arrive.

Attached: potential server.png (678x535, 62K)

Yes, but your going to burn through a lot of power on that thing running it 24/7... and you'll need more storage space obviously.

And an OS that actually supports ZFS

oh shit yeah i didnt consider that. vishera eats power like shit. should i get a cheap xeon?

I didn't assume he was going to leave windows on it.

>Spending more to get the same job done

Attached: 1523838348391.gif (480x480, 1.91M)

SAS only

Full duplex 4 life

I personally bought an embedded CPU+Motherboard. Look for something along the lines of a J5005. They sip electricity. If you need something stronger for transcoding or something similar then stick with your current rig.

DDR3 running at 800Mhz??

1600Mhz you silly billy

yes its very very shit

yo should I build a home server, or just buy a 2u power edge 710 or someshit

>tfw apartment is a steady 85 degrees in the summer
fuck you R710, I should really get a window AC

Attached: 200d.gif (483x200, 352K)

>home server general
What's wrong with homeservers?

oh shit didn't even see this. R710 is no cakewalk. I love it though but it's a real trial by fire for beginners since when you start installing 3rd party hardware the fans go crazy and it sounds like a jet engine.

you can use the following IPMI commands to override the fans:
>allow the override: raw 0x30 0x30 0x01 0x00
>2760 rpm: raw 0x30 0x30 0x02 0xff 0x0f
>3360 rpm: raw 0x30 0x30 0x02 0xff 0x14
>6000 rpm: raw 0x30 0x30 0x02 0xff 0x2c

I don't remember how I calculated those unfortunately.