What does Jow Forums think about Chromebooks?

What does Jow Forums think about Chromebooks?

Attached: 1483575418093.jpg (1920x1080, 152K)

They're shit.

Why

Mostly because they're paperweight machines that can probably smash and break if you drop it/plop it on your bed.

What? How is the hardware somehow significantly different than any other laptop?

Google botnet in shit hardware.

botnet machines

macbooks are better

Attached: 1519496919345.jpg (3264x2448, 1.56M)

you can watch akarin on youtube?

>esc key
ewww, gross!

>cost next to nothing
>weigh next to nothing

Expensive useless botnet machines that are often locked down so you can't put an OS that is actually useful on there.

It's google's ongoing experiment on how they can lock people down to their cloud service OS.

>those bezels
yikes, my thiccpad has less bezel than that thing

But its so light, good with touch and better performing than wangblows. Linux distros are garbage with touch and don't have as good battery life.

Youn can actually dual boot it very easily thanks to crouton.

>Mommy, why is that hairy grown-man looking for cartoons in the apple store?
>I don't know honey, leave him alone...

Attached: 1ZuntBJ.png (960x1280, 1.46M)

Attached: 1482002023565.jpg (3264x2448, 928K)

based

Attached: tumblr_mijr6uD0vw1rude8do1_500.gif (500x281, 467K)

They're basically netbooks with Google's walled garden OS on them. If you can get around the bullshit and put a real OS on them, they're okay.

Most of them don't support any files, can't download shit without finding the right chrome app. I bought one cause it was cheap and I needed one for uni. It is shit though not worth it

They literally shouldn't exist.

thu/g/ life

Attached: a3e59b85ef387beca5f9.jpg (1600x1200, 275K)

Acceptable if you replace ChromeOS with a real GNU/Linux distro.

Just buy an old thinkpad and install ubuntu on it.

The reason I recommend a meme computer is ubuntu should run better on it, at a guess.

>thinking you can get rid of hardware backdoors just by swapping the OS

Heavy shit with no touchscreen and a tn panel when I'm looking at lightweight modern devices literally why

theyre reasonable machines
really good battery
probably not as durable as a thinkpad

dont understand the hate on the os tho. yes, its obviously a botnet, but they run more or less everything you need.
webbrowser, android apps n shit (incl games) and your ganoo/loonix shit via crostini

also, some of them are on arm, hell one of those arm books are fsf ryf certified!

Good font rendering.

DON'T LOOK AT MY CUTE BIRB JUST LIKE THAT YOU GREASY GORILLA

x230 has IPS and isn't too heavy. Just swap out the old SSD for a new one before it shits itself.

obvious google employee

Attached: 1526565275326.jpg (600x584, 71K)

Not super heavy but its a god damn brick box

Quit posting suggestive images of my wife.

They're excellent machines for people who are: impoverished, tech illiterate, students on a budget, and people that find that they don't do very much with their computer besides check email and browse the web. Great if you've also bought into the Google ecosystem since all of the pictures on your phone and tablet will be in your Google photos, so you can access them instantly from a Chromebook. That kind of shit is convenient if you're an Android user that doesn't strip out the Google stuff straight away.

I don't care about "privacy," just my own user experience. I refuse to use an OS made for children and brainlets that are too dumb for even Windows.

>why do they call it chrome and not internet?

they're good laptops user

Different user here. Times must've changed; last time I looked at a chromebook it was a steaming pile of literal shit with good battery life.

theyre pretty good today tho

Great for running Arch Linux. Fuck chromeos.

whats the learning curve?