/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1530972797413.jpg (580x358, 205K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Backing_out_in_case_of_failure
pastebin.com/raw/h1RHd6xW
github.com/overdodactyl/ShadowFox
distrochooser.de/en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: cunt.png (700x3000, 266K)

>sjwfox
>minimal

khé?

>$ man %command%
yes hello why would a LINUX general use cmd DOT exe variable substitutions

Have a Pi3 with Arch Linux installed; thing is... the file system is FAT32, which is not very friendly with file permissions and all that.

So, want to format the card to EXT4 to make it more Linux compliant, but at the same time don't want to lose any data already stored on the SD card.

How do I migrate my install to a different file system without losing data?

Attached: summon.jpg (564x843, 92K)

I hear they make decent money and hardly have to work for it

I just realized this was the linux thread, not sqt, so nvm

I don't think it's going to be a good idea to take files from a filesystem without extended attributes and move them to a filesystem with extended attributes. why not just start over with the correct filesystem? just keep the /etc and /home files you need.

Sure, was also thinking about that too; I just didn't want to start from scratch.
Already have my setup just the way I want it.

1 use dd to copy sd card to raw disk image file on computer
2 make an empty file that is the exact same size using fallocate or dd
3 use fdisk to create partition table on new blank raw image file the way you want
4 format partitions the way you want
5 mount old and new raw images
6 copy files over and pray that it works

alternatively, instead of copying the files over, extract/copy a fresh base install to the new image and then use diff to compare your current SD card image to the base install, and manually copy your modified files over, making note that you will have to put the right permissions on those files.

forgot last step
dd new raw image file to sd card

So I just installed nvidia drivers for debian 9 cinnamon and I fucked up, now cinnamon will not launch. How do I rollback the driver installation?

Attached: 138906693961421.jpg (470x480, 69K)

>copy files over and pray that it works

You had me there user.
I'll give it a shot and see what happens, if not then I'd have to take the hit and do it all over again.

apt-get remove?
I would look at the journal to see what failed first, though. Might have a solution in there.

can't you just
>copy all files from the card
>reformat fat32 partitions as ext4
>copy files back
>fix /etc/fstab if partition UUIDs changed

remember to use the --archive option of the cp command to preserve things like modification dates and links

wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Backing_out_in_case_of_failure

>In case you want to restore your system to the state it was before, do:

>If you can't use your desktop environment:

>hit Ctrl+alt+F2

>login as root

# apt-get purge nvidia. (don't forget the "." dot) It erases every package with "nvidia" on its name

# /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop (gdm3 for gnome 3)

# apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg
# apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

# killall Xorg

# reboot

>Xorg should reconfigure itself, if not run a terminal and pass

# X -configure

Another great tip!
Will try that as well.

How long does it take to install CloverOS?

thanks to that. Would you know what I should put in for cinnamon in the part where you put in your interface? it just provides it for gnome 3

GNU/Linux*

>arch
>minimal
LoL

GNU/STFU
>people and their political correctness

Attached: tenor.gif (244x244, 750K)

>anything with linux or xorg
>minimal

i raff every fucking time.

only one thing to mention
if copying files fails, using dd to make a backup image will be useful since you can try again. or you can always dd the original fat formatted disk to the SD card to keep it usable before you try again.

at any rate, dd your sd card to a raw file first, then do whatever you want.

>use dd to copy sd card
>not using cp

lmaoing at your life.

I'm trying to switch away from KDE, any suggestions that would be close to it, that don't crash every hour or so?

I guess what I'm actually asking is how do I use the:
/etc/init.d/(desktop environment) stop
for cinnamon/how to refer to cinnamon there.

Attached: idunno.jpg (472x368, 23K)

In terms of visual appearance, effects, etc. KDE is hard to top. GNOME is probably the most modern looking but it's shit. I recommend XFCE but you won't find as many widgets as in KDE and the design is less consistent.

>using cp or dd to backup anything
what is rsync

Attached: Doge.jpg (2000x1200, 67K)

rsync is a utility for efficiently transferring and synchronizing files across computer systems, by checking the timestamp and size of files

you make it sound like rsync is actually good. protip, it's not.

dd is perfectly fine, moran

thank you, I genuinely did not know

Attached: 1469744549665.gif (600x333, 1.98M)

no, not really. it requires to understand things about your system you shouldn't need to worry about.

it should only be used to offset read segments out of a file in shell scripting that can't be read out by head/tail or for using conv= option.

most people using "dd" for retard shit like "block level copying" are cargo culting dipshits that don't understand what they are doing.

Is there an AUR equivalent for fedora/redhat based distros I should know about? I am a bit flabbergasted that MIT Scheme is not in the repo (not even in rpmfusion)

Attached: 1520078083328.png (674x666, 240K)

copr.

So I just got a 4k display and my text is tiny on the screen. I know I can increase the DPI in Xresources, but that changes the DPI on my other monitors too, making them way too big. Is there a way to change the DPI per monitor?

you're a fucking retard mate. that wasn't what I was talking about.

you can cp block devices as well by the way. only reason you would dd a block device is if you want to conv=noerror or it's some EBCDIC bullshit.

well that was quick, thanks!

>cp or dd
>not classic cat
Do you even comfy.

only problem with cat/pv is it depends on the shell to redirect stdout.

I've had performance issues using gnu cat for such copy operations as well.
pv though is solid tool.

So have anyone ever had the issue of apt suggesting to remove like you're entire desktop along with a bunch of applications you use?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-07 18-27-25.png (796x629, 138K)

# time cp /dev/sdb1 /data/sdb1.raw
cp /dev/sdb1 /data/sdb1.raw 0.02s user 3.95s system 68% cpu 5.760 total
# diff /dev/sdb1 /data/sdb1.raw
# time cat /dev/sdb1 > /data/sdb1.raw
cat /dev/sdb1 > /data/sdb1.raw 0.01s user 3.85s system 68% cpu 5.619 total
# time dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/data/sdb1.raw
2097152+0 records in
2097152+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 51.9782 s, 20.7 MB/s
dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/data/sdb1.raw 3.71s user 47.21s system 96% cpu 52.917 total

thanks I'll stop being a fucking retard now.
I would assume # cat /dev/zero > /dev/block is also non retarded.

Is there a time difference when using dd with < > instead of if/of?

sorry. I just hate how most people in "muh unix" hobby are cargo culting fucks who say shit like "use dd to block level copy xdddd"

i didn't mean to be rude. you can make dd faster using bs=128K which is what gnu cp and cat use by default on x86 platforms for blocking IO.

it SHOULDN'T but maybe it introduces some weird buffering. by default dd is spec'd by posix to read/write in 512B blocks which is why it's so painfully slow unless you know what dd actually does and what bs= does.

yeah, usually when I had some dependency-fuckery going on.
not sure how I solved it, well, I am sure how, I google it and copy'n'pasted some solution, but I dont remember what it was that I copied

>minmal distros are just the ones that get memed plus an embedded
>minal programs means just means using CLI
>snowflake shells for no reason
>firefox

Attached: 0123.jpg (349x335, 82K)

whats the best torrent client atm for linux?

>using diff on binary blobs
>not just sha256sum

Can I try out cinnamon on my Kubuntu install or is it too dependent on Mint?

Antergos is just Arch with an installer and an extra repo, right?

both have to do a full scan of the file... diff just doesn't need to compute anything.

Just use a VM senpai.
Yes, but you don't get any 'I use Arch, btw' points.

transmission is basically the standard GNU/Linux torrent client. rtorrent for TUI, aria2 for wget style torrenting.

Manjaro has weird crashes on my machine, usually only right after startup or when the HDD is under load. Slows down heavily over the course of a minute and then crashes completely.
Have a R7 1700, a Gigabyte X370 gaming 5 and its installed on a 3TB Toshiba HDD.

Attached: hitler_icecream.jpg (636x382, 92K)

whoever cares for minimalism already "hook, line and sinker"-ed himself into a meme downwards spiral. Heck, Emacs has an "antinews" feature that makes explicitly fun of that

Attached: 1529152649368.png (640x640, 36K)

What is a good simple and lightweight distro for daily use?

Why does everyone want it minimal, simple and lightweight?

Attached: 1517493234030.jpg (525x480, 49K)

That Pepe is too confusing.

Source Mage GNU/Linux

Attached: 1530982866834.png (602x500, 27K)

Debian net iso+ dwm

how is Jow Forums extension for firefox called, is it xchan or something, can't find it and remember now?

total noob... what is the difference between this devices area where i can access other drives, and actually mounting stuff so it appears in /mnt/ ?

my problem is that although i can see files here under devices, if i want to open a file on one of those drives from another program i can't find it in the file system. e.g. i want to open something on the windoze drive but all it shows me is the regular directory with /opt/ /dev/ /etc/ etc etc

hopefully my question makes sense

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-07 18-02-08.png (240x465, 18K)

4chanx

Got handed down a Surface Pro 4 from my brother, which distro would be best to install? I'll be using a VM most of the time and won't be doing much work outside of it.

if it's gvfs, it's probably under a /run/user/$UID or /var/run/$UID path

Firefox can be minimal

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-07_12-09-46.png (1920x1080, 562K)

how did you do this?
Is this just css? Where could i look forinfo how this stuff works? Any leads please

wasn't there but lead me down the road to finding it, the files i wanted were under /media/username/Windoze
thanks

cool.

>the interface mimal, the program mimal must too

Attached: 1530910603753.png (485x443, 22K)

1. You're confusing the concept of software minimalism with looking minimal like
>muh modern clean *insert propietary OS you see more often* UI

2. Even by those standards, that doesn't look very "minimal"

What's the minimal endgame?
What's the most minimal minimalism?

How the fuck? Just use a prewritten image next time and expand as needed. Only the bootloader/firmware needs to be on FAT32.

Finding the source of all the leaking bloat and close it; eventually reversing the big bang.

>Open about:support
>Click on "Profile Folder" -> "Open Folder"
>Create a sub-folder named "chrome"
>Change into the new folder
>Create a file named "userChrome.css"
>Add some rules
>Restart Firefox

Save this as userChrome.css
pastebin.com/raw/h1RHd6xW

Dark theme
github.com/overdodactyl/ShadowFox

Nice opinions. And that's all they are. It uses a lot less resources than defaults and it is more minimal. I don't care for your so minimal it lacks functionality browsers.

You implied a minimal GUI turns a bloated program into a minimal program. That's where you're wrong.

Its not bloated though.

distrochooser.de/en

I use ff myself and I'm aware that it's bloated like all current major browsers. No need to defend that.

There's no reason for any browser to need up to 1G to load a 1-5M website.

For the record "minimalism" just means that you have exactly what you need and nothing more.

Don't fall for any memes about "absolute minimalism" that would have you believe there is a one size fits all answer to whether any particular thing is bloated or not.

>coping this hard

1G of what? RAM?
What else do you plan to do with your RAM?

>minimalism" just means that you have exactly what you need and nothing more.

and where did you get that from?

how do i change gtk3 theme on arch?

That's a very personal question, kid You need to learn to be a little bit more respectful.

lxappearance, or edit the config files by hand

Because it's the only possible definition that makes sense, and is also consistent with the claims of most self-professed minimalists.
Everything they need is never "bloat" and everything they don't need is.

But if you have some other definition that doesn't end up just leading you to conclude that the only thing which isn't "bloat" is not using a computer at all, then be my guest, I'd love to hear it.

I don't know what you're talking about. Even on windows you can make it use a lot less resources. Even more so on linux. Do you know how to use the settings?

This

Attached: Clipboard01.png (1920x1050, 707K)

>Because it's the only possible definition that makes sense

Not really, unless you're being contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian.

>Everything they need is never "bloat" and everything they don't need is.

I have read very few people refering to software minimalism in that way, and they're usually new to the term

>But if you have some other definition that doesn't end up just leading you to conclude that the only thing which isn't "bloat" is not using a computer at all, then be my guest, I'd love to hear it.

For starters, use your favorite search engine to look for "software minimalism", it'll take you to a bunch of articles, but you're probably too lazy/contrarian to make a proper research and will end up just reading the wikipedia one.

there used to be a minimalist linux general /mlg/ on Jow Forums not too long ago.
basically it was a bunch of autists pissing themselves about how much they hate systemd.

No user, just google the fucking term and read a little bit.

Minimalism basically means that the software does what it's intended to do without any extra "features", using an efficient code, and the less possible resources.

>basically it was a bunch of autists posting screenfetch screenshots

FTFY

And what software is intended to do is exactly what the user needs.

Consider this:
If my needs change and I add what you might consider "bloat" to my software, then isn't it still doing what I intended for it to do?
There is no absolute definition of bloat.

How do I make SSL certificates?
I was able to start a apache server (thanks to OpenSUSE, that makes it easy for brainlets) and DNS server.
I want just to spoof one address, and make chink app think that it is chinks server. It works perfectly with clock offset, but it is picky about certificate I believe.

Arch is for advanced users only.

unless you have the private key for the ssl certificate you can't fake the website's cert.
you can make your own for your own domain for free with letsencrypt

Thanks to these threads newfags unironically install Alpine on their desktop computers. Let that sink in.