How bad is it that I don’t know how to type properly?

How bad is it that I don’t know how to type properly?

Attached: 5F8ECF1C-B6F5-4F56-AC3E-FD1FE0784AD3.jpg (1000x755, 134K)

It's literally fucking pathetic. I don't care about proper tyoing. But hunting and pecking in tech industry irritates me beyond belief. I've literally had to ask people in interviews how many words per minute they can type. I shouldn't have to do this.

the only thing worse than hunt and peck, which every fucking normalfag does despite being glued to technology, is when they slam the spacebar or enter key after typing 20wpm

I type relatively slowly.

I find that WPM is not a good metric for measuring how good of a developer someone is. actually, my best code comes when I first try to solve the problems with pen and paper instead of furiously starting to hack at my keyboard

I don't use the WPM as a scale really, I do it to judge their reaction.

For example:
> user, do you know how many WPM you type?
Not really and it may not be too many. But for years I was still hunting and pecking and it wasn't working and I needed to be more efficient so I sat down and did Mavis becan. I can type much better and faster. It's defiybeen more efficient but I'm sorry I don't know how many words per minute I type.

And I hired him.

The keyboard was built for touch typing so you'll never be as efficient or fast as someone who touch types as long as you hunt and peck. Just sit down and learn it. You'll wonder why you waited so long when you realize that you can type entire paragraphs without ever taking your eyes off the screen.

Attached: 1507462444702.png (375x736, 160K)

>I've literally had to ask people in interviews how many words per minute they can type
45. What now.

it is definitely bad behavior but I'm ashamed to admit I typed faster hunting and pecking than I do touch typing now.

You typed up that post just fine, op. Keep up the good work. No problems in sight.

Technique is less important than speed and accuracy.

Its a fucking meme, its just shit that's not really needed if you have your own method. Just like cursive writing and analog clocks.

if you type like your pic related then its probably pretty bad, but I can type around 110 wpm, maybe faster but not with 100% accuracy, and I only use 4 or 5 combined fingers usually. If you can make it work without looking in an efficient manner, then you're probably fine.

>despite being glued to technology
unfortunately scrolling through a social media feed or watching videos/movies/etc doesn't require very good typing skills. I'd be willing to be a large portion of people with a high wpm owe it largely to playing mmo's and trolling forums as kids/teenagers. Which wasn't really what most "normal", well-adjusted people were doing with all their free time as kids.

I type very fast with just my index fingers and I don't need to look at the keyboard, but I'd like to just learn this properly.
Can you recommend any tools to learn typing?

>I'd be willing to be a large portion of people with a high wpm owe it largely to playing mmo's
wave:red:selling rune scimmy 25k

>Which wasn't really what most "normal", well-adjusted people were doing with all their free time as kids.

It wasn't? Shit well that explains a lot.

CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME 2020

keyboard cover, forces you to figure it out without looking. that's what we used in typing class, though 9/10 kids in that class went out of their way to not learn how to type

Just seeing someone having to look at his keyboard to type makes me want to smash it through is head.

do they really not teach kids how to type in middle school anymore? I went to a very rural school and this was mandatory.

You can take and pass a class for anything, doesn't mean you'll learn anything.

Atleast you know. I'll accept it.

I type using just my left index, long and ring fingers and my right index finger and I still average at 90-100 WPM, which is more than enough for a programmer.

same here. I really only use 6 fingers for the normal keys, then thumb for spacebar and pinky for shift and ctrl. I'm not the fastest typist in the world but it's sufficient. Probably 70-80ish wpm

Attached: ryuko-matoi-gif-3.gif (500x281, 140K)

It's terminal. You're not gonna make it.

I never learned and know that i spend hours typing with 6 fingers it really hurts. No joke.
Get to it if you have the time and dedication.

nah were cool
its normies who are weird

"selling coal 150ea" is permanently programmed into my muscle memory

What did you buy with all that coal money, user ?

I was like 12 so I'd generally stack up a few hundred k, then lose it all buying rune scimmys/lobbies and trying to pk people. I think I also bought a halloween mask and party hat at one point. For how much I played I really was not that good at all, I recently came back to the game after like 10+ years, and Im kind of embarrassed for myself at all the blatantly obvious shit I was doing completely wrong as a kid.

Is 55wpm bad? My fingers keep resting on wasd rather than the home row. How do unteach myself and relearn proper typing?

That's exactly how I learned how to type at 55wpm without properly resting at the home row

That is on the lower end of the average but not too bad. Keep your index fingers on f and j, that's what the bumps are for.

If you mean actually properly then not too bad. But if you hunt and peck with your index fingers like in your image that's really bad.

In university the finger typers are so fucking noisy.

What's the ideal amount? If I try really hard I can hit 110 WPM but I'm pretty sure on average I'm like 80-90 or so.

>I don't care about proper tyoing

Why would you care about that? Are you a compulsive twitter user that types without even thinking? In current year, why does it matter how fast you can type when, at the very most, you're sending 3 e-mails per day?

you can type more quietly by using your nose. the tip is softer than a fingertip.

I'm a novelist and I write about 2000 words per hour, which is 33 wpm, but I spend a lot of the time thinking and not typing at all. How often is it that you guys are typing several pages, but not thinking about it very much? It seems to me the mental work would be the slow part in almost anything that involves a lot of typing.

I went from 35wpm to 65 in a month with keybr.com, am I gonna make it brehs?

typing of the dead