GuixSD Thread (Official Distro of Jow Forums)

gnu.org/software/guix/download/
GuixSD is a GNU/Linux distro actually made by the GNU project. it goes very well with the stallman worship and the sticky image, and it's 100% libre and has no botnets, with no binary blobs and no systemd.

>Liberating.
The Guix System Distribution (GuixSD) is an advanced distribution of the GNU operating system developed by the GNU Project—which respects the freedom of computer users.
>Dependable.
It comes with the GNU Guix package manager, which in addition to standard package management features, supports transactional upgrades and roll-backs, unprivileged package management, per-user profiles, and more.
>Hackable.
It provides Guile Scheme APIs, including high-level embedded domain-specific languages (EDSLs) to define packages and whole-system configurations.

Attached: guixdisk.png (602x500, 25K)

Why should I switch from Solus to this?

oh neat a systemd free dist-
>made by the GNU project
oh wow no wonder it sucks and no one uses it.
if you dislike systemd you should implicitly hate GNU for the same reasons.

all system configs, package installations, enabled services and options for those, users and group assignments, and so on can be declared in a single configuration file. So if something goes wrong, the whole system can be restored from that file. You can also use it for when you're installing onto a new device, and have an identical setup on both.

Attached: retard-receiving-certificate-congratulations-youre-retarded(1).jpg (489x400, 106K)

>Note The Guix System Distribution (GuixSD) is beta software.

That much is obvious.

can i play the newst call of duty on it?

>not using crux
Into the trash it goes

what if I just use overlayfs

kys CISCO cocksucking faggot and take your BSD shit with you

Do I need to be in a Libebooted Thinkpad to install it?

Nope. Its kernel won't support everything that a blobby kernel would, but it'll work on more than just the trannyboot stuff. It even has an experimental libre driver for some wifi cards from broadcom (aka the most kikeish manufacturer when it comes to free software support)

>GNU GuixSD focuses on respecting the user’s computing freedom. It builds around the kernel Linux-libre, which means that only hardware for which free software drivers and firmware exist is supported. Nowadays, a wide range of off-the-shelf hardware is supported on GNU/Linux-libre—from keyboards to graphics cards to scanners and Ethernet controllers. Unfortunately, there are still areas where hardware vendors deny users control over their own computing, and such hardware is not supported on GuixSD.

>One of the main areas where free drivers or firmware are lacking is WiFi devices. WiFi devices known to work include those using Atheros chips (AR9271 and AR7010), which corresponds to the ath9k Linux-libre driver, and those using Broadcom/AirForce chips (BCM43xx with Wireless-Core Revision 5), which corresponds to the b43-open Linux-libre driver. Free firmware exists for both and is available out-of-the-box on GuixSD, as part of %base-firmware (see firmware).

I can afford a New WiFi card, but my laptop doesn't support Libreboot.

that's fine.
>>Do I need to be in a Libebooted Thinkpad to install it?
>Nope.

Why aren't there GuixSD builds for ARM boards with freedom firmwares
But there is GuixSD builds for X86 which I presume is either so old you can't find it anymore, or backdoored with Intel ME/AMD PSP
???
plz respond

Will GuixSD run on TALOS II?

Why is the logo a uterus?

>official distro of.........
oh fuck off you dumb fuck
fuck off and take this shitty distro with you

Always nice to see Guix around here.

It's made so it leaves you free of seeing in it whatever you prefer.
I see a 90 degree flipped curly brace.

Is it usable yet? Arch coddled me too much with flawless stability. Also will it run on my potato pc, is it fairly minimal?

>Is it usable yet?
yes
>Arch coddled me too much with flawless stability
GuixSD seems very stable overall. A bit confusing as someone who's never touched scheme or this whole "define literally everything in this file" idea, but so far as I'm playing around with it I haven't had anything break.
>Also will it run on my potato pc, is it fairly minimal?
It's whatever you define it to be. There's templates for barebones setup, a minimal WM setup, and a XFCE/GNOME desktop setup. From there, you can make whatever changes you want.

You can use a mainline kernel.org kernel with GuixSD that includes all the blobs if you wish, just simply write a package definition for it to fetch sources from mainline instead of libre sources. For me the real advantage to Guix is running it on the Hurd. Install Debian/Hurd, install NetBSD rumpkernels so you get hardware drivers, then drop in Guix package manager and you have a crazy distributed system that can never crash.

Install GuixSD.

Attached: 1530484003478.png (1422x1275, 205K)

Parabola OpenRC Ed. still the best libre distro of all time. Non-rolling release in 2018 it's just painful.

Is it usable for work? Can I install work software on it? No? OK then

I'm thinking about installing parabola. I know it's literally arch with non-free packages removed, but how do you like it? My hardware will be completely supported, no there are no issues there. But how is stability, assume I check the arch homepage for issues beforehand? I will be completely dependent on this machine.