/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find more detailed videos on YouTube)
youtube.com/watch?v=9M2-UIwWguw
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses - e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

Overclocking
>Use PBO on Ryzen. Legacy overclocking is defunct on Ryzen 2#00X CPUs. youtube.com/watch?v=FC3fsVk9Sss

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high-end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>Only Z300 series boards can utilize fast memory with Intel

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>GPU prices have gone down
1080p
>RX 580 or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings 1080p, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 or Vega 64 /w Freesync; 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>Lock to 72fps on 144hz non-Gsync monitors with Nvidia cards to prevent tearing on more demanding games
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous:

Attached: cianigger.gif (300x424, 2.56M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RzHp_IBbYYY
youtube.com/watch?v=vNMcW2tL3r4
asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=Drivers
youtube.com/watch?v=TcqWok8AubE
amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-Desktop-Computer-580-130/dp/B075LVK78B
asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#Memory
pcpartpicker.com/list/TK3PJ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/y3FqbX
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CsNWr6
pcpartpicker.com/list/hggzZR
pcpartpicker.com/product/zk8H99/thermaltake-the-tower-900-atx-full-tower-case-ca-1h1-00f1wn-00
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i5 a shit

I didn't get a real answer last thread is a larger capacity or faster write speed more valuable in an ssd?

youtube.com/watch?v=RzHp_IBbYYY

Can't watch at the moment mind giving me the gist of it? If not it's whatever.

just installed this AIO cooler (H80i) and it's louder than my old Noctua NH-U9S. I was told that AIOs are quieter.. wtf? also, temps are intially lower but rise up.

should I just return it or is there anything I can do to make it quieter?

Attached: 1530408322777.png (515x515, 191K)

>he fell for the water meme

tell me everything there is to know about this dude

>unironically linking to linus cuck tips

if i wanted to make an "average" watercooled build what components should i cool? just GPU and CPU?
how much does that cost more than a normal fan build and how much overclock could i get out of it?

>just installed this AIO cooler (H80i) and it's louder than my old Noctua NH-U9S. I was told that AIOs are quieter.
You're retarded lmao.
Every single thread it's pointed out that those single thin radiator AIOS are garbage and worse and louder than half decent air cooling. It's simple fucking thermodynamics.

You deserve this for not reading, and not paying attention in school.

in the previous thread
i asked advice on how to acquire a cheap feet input, i was advised to build one starting from a numpad PCB, but where could i find the cheapest one to start with, assuming i only need 4 buttons?

Generally larger capacity but it depends on the budget and use, if it's for games you won't find much difference in loading times between an NVMe and a good SATA SSD like the MX500 but if you're editing or encoding for example you'll notice it more
youtube.com/watch?v=vNMcW2tL3r4

was posting it in /sqt/ but it seems dead so will ask here
>just got ryzen 2600X but ASRock motherboard CD only has intel drivers am I supposed to install that stuff like the intel LAN and Bluetooth drivers for AMD?

neither capacity nor sequential read/write speeds are more important than the other.
What's more important for the average use is the 4k random read/write speeds.
Capacity matters in that you need to make sure the SSD is big enough for your needs.

on the manufactuere's website?
asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=Drivers

Yes but get them from the mobo's page under Support

Ok that's what I figured thanks

It's a very specific question. You're asking people to google for you.
Look around for various mechanical keyboard kits, pcb, etc. You should be able to ones that are only a handful of keys.

>CEE DEES IN 2018

fpbp

>being a faggot who doesn't use optical

Attached: 1500765694849.jpg (800x800, 359K)

pajeets out

>should I just return it
Yes
>is there anything I can do to make it quieter
Maybe changing the fans but it'll still be louder, consider a NH-D15
youtube.com/watch?v=TcqWok8AubE

Attached: 7277_37_corsair-h100i-gtx-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler-review.png (601x1552, 60K)

www.cos tco. com/HP-Pavilion-Desktop---Intel-Core-i5---Radeon-RX-550.product. 100418313. html

Processor & Memory:
Intel Core i5-8400 Processor at 2.8GHz
16GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2-DIMM)

Drives:
1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
DVD-Writer

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)

Graphics & Video:
2GB AMD Radeon RX 550 Graphics

Communications:
Wireless-AC WLAN + Bluetooth 4.2 M.2

Audio:
5.1 surround sound

Keyboard:
HP wired Keyboard + Optical Mouse

Ports:
2x USB 3.1 Gen 1
1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type C
4x USB 2.0 (rear)
2x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (rear)
HDMI
DisplayPort
1x Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack
Multi-format Media Card Reader - Supports SD, SDHC, SDXC

Power Supply:
310W Internal Power Supply

Should I go for it? I am a poorfag and I've been wanting a pc for years now and this one seems to fit my budget in the meantime. It's just 500$.

Forgot the image for it

Attached: Screenshot_20180707-173029.png (1440x2560, 547K)

wrong pic

Attached: 7272_39_corsair-hydro-h80i-gt-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler-review.png (601x1456, 54K)

>i5 8400
>RX 550
>HP Desktop
no.
Don't touch that thing

Maybe if it was an RX560. Is this for just general desktop usage, not gaming?
Otherwise spend the $230 more for the prebuilt with an RX580 on Amazon.

Even still, I don't think that's even worth $500. You could make a 2400G build with a good SSD for that price.

1st line of defence: Poojection

Attached: 1498227075662.jpg (1500x1164, 337K)

>tfw trapped in the current market with my 1600 and 970

2800x or good Intel processor when, 1180 or affordable 1080ti when?

Attached: 1528220185296.png (707x1000, 665K)

>mfw flashing motherboard BIOS

I've don't it a million times. I don't see why I get so nervous all the time. My X370 CH6 was on BIOS 1002. I figured for shits and giggles I'd look at BIOS releases. Fucking 6002 is out. With even more memory compatibility. Maybe now I can OC my ddr4 2400MHz kit.

Attached: scared.jpg (705x717, 446K)

You don't need a new cpu you dumb consumerist faggot

wtf I love schizophrenia now

I want to make better use of my 144hz monitor or pickup a 1440p one soon user.

How do they do it? What's their secret? Why are all other fans shit compared to Noctua? After using fractal/phanteks fans for years, I got a 120mm Noctua the other day and the fan is not only blowing more air (just judging by temps inside of my case) but it's also way more quiet. I'm kicking myself for not getting one years ago.

so how do they do it?!?!

Attached: 1517133265642.jpg (350x350, 20K)

this is better if you're into prebuilts
amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-Desktop-Computer-580-130/dp/B075LVK78B

What's terry davis up to these days?

Homeless

Should I be asking Jow Forums or /mu/ about wireless headsets?

I'm working nightshift in a few weeks and I'd rather not piss everyone off on my days off but I need something for my PC and TV.

Want it for internet browsing and to run paintool SAI and/or other painting programs. Maybe light gaming with indie shit like Night in the Woods.

For gaming I just use my ps3 and ps4. I do admit I would like a pc down the line to play games, especially stuff like Metroid Prime/Fusion and LoZ games.

Got ab350m pro 4 and hynix ram, can't overclock them. What am I doing wrong. It says they're overclocking in bios but when I launch to desktop they're still at default mhz.

When the fuck are video cards going to become affordable again?

>never had any mobo bricking on me
>never happened at work for the whole year I worked there
>still get a heart attack every time the screen freezes during a bios flashing

To be fair though, I've bricked about a dozen iphones just by unplugging the battery and that shit fucked up my nerves.

Attached: 1471041399623.png (1280x720, 342K)

Capitalism at work.

Noctua makes stuff that is the best possible you can mass produce, everyone else makes stuff for the price that customers are willing to pay.

Also
>2018
>not reading fan specs
>not designing your cooling solution accordingly to heat output and cooling input

I'm waiting for their new gen 140mm, will be a cooling blast.

Never, nvidia isn't going to cut pascal prices and are currently waiting for their stockpile to run out before releasing 1100-series.

You will only see a price drop from vendors who decide to cut their losses and sell cards out at a loss just to clear out their warehouses, the rest are playing chicken in the hope of retaining their investments.

Its a literal mexican stand off.

asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M Pro4/index.asp#Memory

Check if your model is on the compatible list.

Ask in headphone general here, though I doubt you will get a reply.

Check their sticky or just grab something in the $100-200 range (they are all the same due to wireless limitations, as long as its not crap).

2400G, m8.

Their current gen isn't even that good, especially for the price. But the upcoming ones do look to live up to the meme better.

>Never, nvidia isn't going to cut pascal prices and are currently waiting for their stockpile to run out before releasing 1100-series.
I wonder how much I could make if I used my connections in China to produce knockoff 1050s and sold them for $75 a pop.

So how much does RAM speed actually matter for Ryzen? I have an R7-1700X paired with 4x8GB CL14 DDR4-2400MHz with timings of CL14-16-16-36. I finally got around to updating my motherboard BIOS so now it has more memory support and I can actually overclock my memory. I managed to get a solid boot and am prime95 blend testing currently for stability testing with the RAM clocked to 2933MHz @ CL16-19-19-47 (Timings auto set themselves when manually changing DRAM voltage etc) Now I intend to try and squeeze down the timings some, but honestly, how much am I gaining here? I ran some synthetic benches and I'm seeing at MOST a 1.5% increase.

>TL;DR
is it worth the extra DRAM voltage, CPU SOC voltage, and tweaking to get my memory stable at 2933MHz? Or should I just stick with my standard 2400MHz?

reminder that the 8700k is the best buy you can make for the next 3 years.
Intel wont be able to make something better for the next couple of years due to their botched 10nm/nokia takeover.
sure you'll get more cores but they wont be able to compete with the core clock of the 8700k. Sadly ryzen 2 will be a non factor till vermeer/zen3
BUY 8700K INVEST

RAM speed and latency matters a lot on all CPUs for games. But generally not a lot else.

>I ran some synthetic benches and I'm seeing at MOST a 1.5% increase.
It it in something actually memory bottlenecked.

> RAM clocked to 2933MHz @ CL16-19-19-47 (Timings auto set themselves when manually changing DRAM voltage etc)
Try to get it down to 16-17-17-42 or so if not better.

>reminder that the 8700k is the best buy you can make for the next 3 years.
What's this even supposed to mean?
Next year the 3000 series comes out on 7nm. 1 year is less than 3.

Thanks my Jewish friend. Truly you are my greatest ally. I'm going to go buy 2 brand new Intel i7-8086k's right now!

>tfw downclocking my 970 down 150MHz on core and memory made my TW2 crashing problem go away
>Except now I have a heavily downclocked 970 in current year

How far out are the 11XXs? Does AMD have anything decent right now?

I have dosh to throw around but my spirit animal is a Jewish Rabbi so I can't in good conscience throw it around at shit that will be replaced before it dies.

>RAM speed and latency matters
If that's the case,should I just run with lower latency RAM at 2400MHz instead? Since my sticks are CL14 to begin with, I know I can tweak them down to CL12. Timings of 12-14-14-34 to be precise. Same voltage and CPU SOC voltage settings I have now too. Which direction should I go in?

there is no god, but terry a davis is his messenger.
shit gets replaced often. usually for amd you'll get a rebadge of an old card and for nvidia you'll get marginally better performance for the price.

Why not just add more voltage to your 970 to get stabilize the higher clocks? As for a card that will last, what resolution are you at?

whatever, stay on your pajeetsprocessors.

I have one of those MSI 970s from 9/19/2014. Effectively release date as it were.

I never OCed it myself but it had one of those smaller manufacturer out of the box OCs and I've used her pretty extensively across lots of vidya up until now. I'm fairly confident she's simply dying from age at this point. Unlike 680-chan, machine god bless her spirit, 970-chan actually stood the test of time even with that weird memory meme.

Intend to jump to a 1440p monitor but I have a 144hz 1080p one right now so I'll make use of any extra frames regardless with current upgrades.

I guess the question is whether 1180s will be a humongous leap in performance over the current stock of AMD and Nvidia cards. I have no qualms with dropping money on something like a 1080ti if the newer stuff isn't a "proper" upgrade.

Attached: 1356532509503.jpg (957x674, 208K)

Your cards sure die a lot. Get a better quality ones and/or Morpheus II or Artic Accelero next time.

My nearly 8 year old 7970 Lightning with an Artic Accelero still works and I just retired it anyway for an upgrade finally.

No matter what music I listen to whenever I scroll past this dancing Terry he's dancing to it pretty well

How bad is hardware support for x265?

>Capitalism at work.
yeah, but I wanna know WHAT EXACTLY is different about them. Blades maybe?

Anyway, I've created a new thread about this because I'd like some answers from a wider audience.

Alright /pcbg/
Let's play a game.
Here are the parts I already own.
Finish the build. Only rule is that I would prefer an AMD GPU
pcpartpicker.com/list/TK3PJ8

Why is buying new things so appealing? Have I been brainwashed by the jews? I was considering spending $2000 upgrading my PC before realizing that I hardly have time to use it anymore, and it works just fine for everything I use it for.

What is wrong with me?

Attached: 1519612876675.jpg (184x184, 13K)

Newfag here, I need help with a build.

>~1000 USD or less
>Use for gaming, animation and digital art
>I can concede playing really high-end games on medium graphics

Even a link would be nice, I need somewhere to start.

Attached: F3374790.jpg (1600x900, 187K)

>buy crosshair vi x370
>lan port is busted
>so are the top and bottom rows of 4xUSB3 ports in the back
>get a replacement
>lan port is busted
>but only the top 4xUSB3 row of ports is busted
>fuck it, buy a pcie lan card
according to some overclocking resources this row is handled by the CPU directly, and i can't force drivers onto it from the device manager
anyone know how i can fix this? i don't want to go through another exchange and rebuild and windows reinstall for nothing
win7 btw

Attached: 1531019782666.png (289x89, 5K)

If I get errors in memtest when running at my rated RAM speed (3200MHz CL14) but it passed >6hrs at 2133, what should I do? RMA it or is there some way of troubleshooting this?

you got meme'd on.

I havent had an optical drive in 8 years.

pcpartpicker.com/list/y3FqbX

>(((msi)))

The X470 Gaming Plus has a decent VRM and a better heatsink than most $180 boards.
Take your preconceived notions, and fuck off.

Besides, My original idea was to suggest an Asrock X470 master SLI/ac, but they're sold out everywhere apparently.

>Here are the parts I already own.
>Finish the build. Only rule is that I would prefer an AMD GPU
>pcpartpicker.com/list/TK3PJ8
So... PSU and GPU?
Vega 56 Strix and whatever the best

>So... PSU and GPU?
and motherboard

>not giving a price point or objective outcome
Consider finishing yourself

beginner first build, here’s what I got so far:
>au.pcpartpicker.com/list/CsNWr6
>plus Acer KG251QF 24.5" Full HD FreeSync 144Hz 1MS LED TN Monitor for $300
>cpu cooler is either that on the list or a Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM Air Cooler for $45

>budget
$2000 kangaroolerydoos
>uses
1080p/60fps vidya, possibly streaming and video editing

Attached: FF2B3CA7-0F5D-44EB-BAF6-65DBD8297714.jpg (480x448, 44K)

I've only ever owned a $30 laptop I got from a recycling centre and a samsung s4 but now that I've saved up I'm looking to buy a PC that can handle modern games. What kind of basic budget should I make? (Ive got 2k in the bank)

If you're doing video editing, I'd get 1440p and at least a 2600/X. 1080p sucks for productivity work.
Your motherboard also seems crazy expensive.

Including monitor, keyboard, mouse? Around $1200-$1400 is fine for 1080p with a 144hz monitor, or 1440p without needing to max everything while keeping high framerates.
More around $1600-$3000 for higher end 1440p.

Don't try sell the bloke 144h meme. He's clearly on a budget and shouldn't toss his money down the sink on grandiose ideas like 144

But that user's budget *is* enough for 144hz. Won't run all games at that, obviously, but that's what Freesync is for.

It's not much more expensive and worth it just for how smoothly the cursor moves. But 1440p 75hz isn't bad, either.

>mobo expensive
I wouldn’t know. don’t have much of a reference point. this build is actually a friends suggestion. also another friend showed me a different build and the price for the mobo were roughly the same.

>1080p sucks for work
how do you mean?

You should hang your politics for their hand in the internet crisis

He shouldn't empty his bank account on a meme he should go with a healthy $1000 build rather than shoot for the moon and only go half way

>a meme
A good 144hz 1080p Freesync monitor is around $200.
>empty his bank account
Found the Nvidia fanboy.

>>a meme
>A good 144hz 1080p Freesync monitor is around $200.
I'm not fighting the monitor. I'm fighting the build
>>empty his bank account
>Found the Nvidia fanboy.
I'm not favourable over each. They're both after your money and you might aswell give the one that performs better your cash

>using an ancient as fuck 60hz Acer AL2016W
>scoring similarly to people using 144hz monitors in reaction test
So is it actually true that 120hz+ monitors help a lot with reaction times, or is that just some shitty shill rumor?

pcpartpicker.com/list/hggzZR
What graphics card should I get? I'd prefer AMD, but I want a card that performs well but most importantly its durable and long lasting. The budget just for the card can go up to like $600ish but I think Vega 56 is where I want to be based on user comments. I'm worried about thermals and reliability though.

Is there a decent case on the market with this kind of aesthetic?

Attached: 1520737739071.jpg (586x674, 119K)

>I'm worried about thermals and reliability though.
get a Powercolor, Sapphire, or XFX AIB Vega 56 card and you'll be fine

You can only be as fast as your own shitty reaction.
You may see the monitor better in benchmarks by a fraction. When using it the difference is insignificant. Everything good in the market is just marketing

that looks like a console?

1080p kind of sucks for video and art because you can't work on stuff and see the whole piece without zooming. Most work programs are built so you can view a 1080p project on a 1440p monitor and the UI will fit perfectly around whatever you're working on.

No the devkit on the left, not the SFC.

If your gaming don't give the Hebrews all your money. Rather mid ranged

Closest thing I know of
pcpartpicker.com/product/zk8H99/thermaltake-the-tower-900-atx-full-tower-case-ca-1h1-00f1wn-00

Looks sexy. You own it yourself?
Very good point. But on Jow Forums we're all gaymers

Attached: __urushibara_ruka_steins_gate_drawn_by_92m__0d7b46e2aa073115e2808a5eeac2c008.jpg (745x900, 209K)

FT-03 or the upcoming LD03.

Vega56 has good perf/watt if you undervolt it. Stock voltage is too high for gayming.

What is up with the eyes?

It's not so much a similar looking profile I'm after, it's the general aesthetic sensibility.

>Looks sexy. You own it yourself?
God I wish.

>ft03
Actually pretty close to what I'd like. Bit of a shame it only comes in black.

>it's the general aesthetic sensibility.
Look at the Thermaltake Core series of Cases. Likely to be one of them you like.

>What is up with the eyes?
It aludes too big dick

Attached: __urushibara_ruka_steins_gate_drawn_by_pas_paxiti__386bfba40fcce2354d97ee6f53b5a7f4.jpg (709x1346, 484K)

>Actually pretty close to what I'd like. Bit of a shame it only comes in black.
Huh? It comes in white and grey, too. But availability is likely poor as they are years old and they stopped making them.
Could always paint it if you can only find black.