How can we fix IRC?

How can we fix IRC?

Attached: Weechat_032_default_config.png (1280x932, 224K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Ronsor/nircd
ircv3.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just use Discord

What is there to fix? IRC is perfect

TAKE THE KNOT

>Just use a service that collects and saves information about you as one of your primary means of communication.

Pic related. Screenshot from their privacy policy.

Attached: you-don'y-have-any-privacy-policy.png (1015x234, 29K)

Can't host your own discord server

There's nothing wrong with irc. There are clients who display images properly. It is a minimal chat solution that is likely to work no matter where you are.
On the other hand, discord is a bloated web app whose 'desktop' version just runs an instance of chromium. The only real advantage it has is the integration of voice channels. IMO not worth looking into unless you like mingling with libtards and literal gaymer kiddies.

nobody uses it

You are already using Jow Forums. You have no privacy.

remove usermodes

That's unironically a good thing.

I don't expect shit I post on a public message board to be private. I do expect it to be private when just chatting with my friends.

>There are clients who display images properly
Does those clients supports image and files upload, from drag n drop and clipboard?
I use that all the time with IM

the only thing that needs fixing is standardized authentication beyond bullshit like chanserv/nickserv

Irccloud.

This. I don't understand the desire to evangelize for technology. As technology becomes more popular the incentive to make it shit in order to appeal to normies increases. We've seen it over and over. It happened to video games, Windows, Mac, the Linux userland, and to the internet itself. IRC users have nothing to gain and everything to lose from popularizing IRC.

Attached: burnitdownchild.jpg (800x537, 96K)

Make a VoIP-like DCC streaming audio script!

Attached: 1523483754174.png (361x375, 135K)

>DCC (tcp)
>VoIP (udp)

>you are already connected to a WAN and live in an established country. you have no privacy.

>obviously avoiding the part about being VoIP-like not VoIP
Is about having audio chat on IRC son.

Attached: 48415876251.png (394x413, 249K)

can't fix what isn't broken

If I make this I will I call it fagchat (fast audio group chat)

>implying Freenode doesn't collect user info

You can name it what you want, but it will be just a script. Or did you think it was something else? DCC can do file transfers, is only a matter of time IRC can be used for audio chat natively through that.

There's a reason VoIP uses UDP. TCP is too bloated for VoIP

support for it should be detected via CTCP, including codecs and such then any audio done over a DCC channel

But if IRC can do it, it can do it.

fix it how about making more user friendly irc clients but other then that why fix it when its pretty good use just as is

looks like this thread is full of gen Zers

Attached: 2018-07-08 02_47_31.jpg (494x1170, 83K)

So it's UDP/IP?

no, fagchat will be the hardest to use irc plugin ever made. why? because fuck you. :D

Looks like you're a tide pod chewing condom snorting millennial.

there are people who log and they will just sit there and log your chats

well then get to it man i wanna see this fagchat

this

Get with the times, gramps

make it for chatzilla and hexchat wile your at it

tcp works fine for that but udp gets through firewalls and nat better.

go make the logo while I start hacking a plugin together

Dont forget irssi!

i already forgot irssi, don't worry.

here you go

Attached: Untitled.png (1091x683, 14K)

What's the best IRL client? Preferably with image support.

oh really now?

Do I really have to spell this out?

No shit those are public servers. Literally anyone can join and see what you're talking about, that's why you don't talk about private things there. Just like in the meatspace, don't talk about private shit in public.
The gripe with discord is that your shit is logged/monitored even when you're in small chatrooms having private conversations. With IRC or a self hosted VoIP service, I can host my own server and control who can access it. With Discord, all your data goes through their servers because there's no way to set up your own.

nah dont use that thing

IRC*
Jesus fucking chrst im drunk as shit

Attached: Charles-Manson-Insane-1.png (782x493, 332K)

maybe some sort of p2p IRC system

We can't. It's unsafe.
IP to IP? Fuck that shit.

nah that would be a bad idea

how about a irc chat system that works like the tor network

nircd is love github.com/Ronsor/nircd

What does it feel like having internet friends?
I've been online since 1998 but I never really got into any "groups". This is perpetuated by the fact that I found Jow Forums from SA (I never posted there) around 2005/6 and the nature of anonymous posting made it so that I basically never had a chance to form any "bonds" online.
Then again I don't have any friends irl kek

Attached: 1530725427135.gif (500x400, 79K)

people like run there own nodes and the connection is tunneled thro them and it randomizes your ip address

meh still a bad idea

electron client

If a feature was added In the name of user friendliness it should be removed
This would fix IRC.
You kids can keep your gaymur chat clients

Show epyc gaymen memes while it connects.

>What does it feel like having internet friends?
Like here only you have a pseudo-identity

How come all technology that comes out do shady work with government?
Let's say one of us or myself launch a chatting service, why can't I be honest with my customer and simply right that I won't collect information because I respect the users also saying I don't care about government asking for data.
Is it because I will be corrupted by government? Will they lure me with huge money?
Will they do black magic on me?
Whats the issue here?
Even when Signal came out, it was sold to MS or JewBook.

>How come all technology that comes out do shady work with government?
$$$

i dont have friends irl but I have internet friends and groups
they come and go though
easier than ever to find people in the age of twitch and discord

IRCv3 is already working on fixing IRC. IRCv3 will implement avatars and the server sending you messages after you've gone offline. So it implements message history and user avatars, the 2 things IRC lacks the most.

Interestingly enough, IRCCloud already implements avatars and is as far as I know the only client in existence which has implemented that part of the IRCv3 spec. If you use their client you'll either see user-uploaded avatars or the first letter of their nick as a picture in its place. ircv3.net/

>What we're working on:
>Standardised account registration and verification, allowing clients to provide better interfaces for end users.
>Giving clients a standardised way to recognise, access and view chat history (provided by bouncers or servers).
>Providing a mechanism to allow clients to automatically detect, move to, and keep using secure connections.
>Allowing Unicode nicknames and channel names, improving the chat experience for international users.
>Client avatars for display in graphical clients.

Attached: doggo.png (354x376, 276K)

It exists.
Over Tor.
Many of them do.

Yeah but its obviously too hard for you, stick to discord - we dont want you.

Is meatspace a boomer term?

Get a job

No use for any chat clients since i have no groups or internet friends. But IRC looks minimal

>cert-based auth (SASL EXTERNAL)
Done.

Absolute retardation.

>IRCv3 will implement avatars
great now I have to look at your faggy weeb avatars

I don't see what the big deal is. There's nothing stopping you from using a client that doesn't render the avatars.

Revive it from the dead by getting people to use it.

>How do we fix IRC?
>"By fixing IRC."

Great contribution...

>unencrypted by default
>no file upload
>no chat history
>no voice chat
>no images
>no embedded videos
>no stickers
>not even emoji lmao
>infested with boomers and literal psychos that will stalk and doxx you as soon as they have a chance
Yeah, that's gonna be a yikes from me.

If people use IRC then people will fix the product.

If no one uses IRC, then the newest versions could be awesome but no one will know nor care. They'll just assume it's something dead.

Even this board which should have an IRC or Discord channel doesn't. Which shows that no one sees any value in using it.

Attached: clip-irc.jpg (955x726, 255K)

Everybody go to discord and don't even bother with IRC.

this

What needs fixing? The less people using it the better.

>unencrypted by default
(notice) *** Connected securely via TLSv1.2 ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA-256
(notice) *** Your host is masked (mask here)

>no file upload
DCC

>no chat history
Lurk more / BNC

>no voice chat
Mumble etc.

>no images
Just link to them

>no embedded videos
See above

>no stickers
>not even emoji lmao
NOW YOU ARE JUST BEING OPENLY GAY

Attached: cap_[FFF] Gabriel DropOut - 01[AE387FD7]_00_04_57_03.jpg (1280x720, 162K)

>sanfran
>grind
>weechat

faggot.

But I want to seem like a superhacker and be 'one of the first' in the new wave of IRC users!

>Scott_McNealy_Laughing.ras

DCC can do filesharing and voice chat (with some wizardry applied). IRCv3 IS SHIT!

Make an electron client for it that spouts ebin gaymer memes whenever you start it up

Fuck avatars, it becomes even more faggy like discord, having to have a fucking picture to create a pseudo identify is retarded

>no emojis
>no sticker
stop being a gay and neck yourself

cringe

IRC was really popular in early 00s though

I still deeply hate Google and Facebook for killing off their XMPP support in Talk and Chat just so they could use their proprietary protocols. If XMPP was popularized by them, we could be living in the golden age of Jabber right now.

based

IRC is fine as it is. Boomer generation needs to fuck off and stick to discord.

On a related note, someone redpill me on weechat vs. irssi.

Attached: 1497343858404.jpg (882x710, 203K)

>>no stickers
>>not even emoji lmao
Summer needs to end along with your life

If you aren't already using irssi you should just use Weechat. irssi is not very user friendly, and the differences in what you can do are minimal.

irssi is fine, for whatever thing you want to do there is a script for irssi, using normal IRC commands is sane and the window management is logical, all you need to remember is to use alt+number to switch channels

I've been using irssi for at least 10 years now, and BitchX, EPIC and ircII before that. I just see a lot of people switching to weechat and wonder if it's worth it.

Attached: 1519505274455.jpg (1024x888, 149K)

Is a trend among noobs, at best they want the sidebar, that's it, they don't want/know how to use a script to add one. I use a BitchX theme btw, looks cool.

There's no real reason to switch then. It's just going to be a lot of setup to replicate what you've set up in irssi for ten years.

> unencrypted by default

You can use encryption on IRC networks.

> no File upload

DCC

> no chat history

Not using a headless client to idle 24/7

> no images
> no embedded ivdeos

There are IRC clients that show images and embed youtube videos when linked.

>>no stickers
>>not even emoji lmao
>>infested with boomers and literal psychos that will stalk and doxx you as soon as they have a chance
>Yeah, that's gonna be a yikes from me.

Go kill yourself

>nobody uses it
you mean you and people you know aren't using it. I'm guessing you're young. People who've been around certain channels since IRC became popular in the late 1990s are still around.

VOIP over TCP works just fine as long as you've got a connection. ...which is a problem if you and your friend are behind a NAT. udp can get around that.