Why is my audio driver 1.3GB?

Why is my audio driver 1.3GB?

Attached: dfds.jpg (385x477, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pGipRmEd2Es
youtube.com/watch?v=DYYAzEcp0t8
youtu.be/csADSIJOhXY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Maybe because you touch yourself at night.

Touche

>He fell for the driver meme

Attached: 1af[1].jpg (890x890, 145K)

I can't explain it, really for an actual kernel driver anything over 10mb sounds very large to me.

This is a universal installer for literally every piece of hardware they support you fucking retarded sack of shit.

Still. Jeezus.

linux includes support for nearly every relevant single piece of hardware including sound cards, video cards and more and that takes up ~200 mb

Support for 3 versions of Windows, without taking x64/x86 in account.

Because it's a botnet that adds botnet to your botnet's botnet.

Attached: de2a7a0540553ad7b1b7dc4c58ccfcdc8e3da76cb5e473efe8eaa9bfd6bcb4b0.png (1234x189, 3K)

/thread

Well linux isnt a bloated piece of shit is it

Because you need the driver for windows 7/8/10. Both 32 bit and 64 bit for each.

The kernel fully compiled with everything it needs is actually 5.5MBs on my install.

That includes GPU drivers for AMD and nvidia not counting the mesa stack.

Attached: 1519010929421.jpg (672x935, 76K)

Because its a lossless audio driver for maximum quality

>2018
>Still using drivers

Hello Roy. Why didn't you return my call last night?

I crammed an entire OS including kernel, drivers (including wireless and tools), web browser, ssh client/server, and media player into my laptop's 8MB BIOS chip.

It's pretty stripped down, but that's the nice thing about Linux is that you actually have the option to do that if you so desire.

what?

I use coreboot firmware, which freed up a bunch of space in the flash chip, so I decided to cram as much stuff in the free space as I could.

I can boot the computer with no storage of any kind, browse the internet, watch videos, SSH to other computers, and download and install a new OS just from what's on the motherboard.

The point is that Linux can be made VERY small, if it's customized to the application.

color me skeptical

The way soundcards work is they have pre recorded audio samples, when software wants to play sound it interfaces with the driver to play those samples in different order or at the same time. The more samples the better the audio quality but it means a lot of memory is taken up by the prerecorded audio.

it includes such bullshit crap such as Dolby DAX

OK.
Kernel: 2.1MB

Uncompressed sizes:
Busybox [boot and basic tools]: 672K
Netsurf [browser]: 768K
Mplayer [media]: 1.8M
Dropbear [ssh]: 208K

Total size of all libs: 12M
Top 3 sizes: libavcodec: 3.1MB, libcrypto: 1.7MB, libuClibc: 520K

Userland compressed with xz -9 -e and packed into initramfs: 5.7M

that's not that interesting or surprising. I was mainly wondering what program is flashed onto the chip that actually allows you to boot the system from it.
is it legacy bios or uefi?

It powers on directly into GRUB2 (a feature of coreboot), which then just loads the kernel and initramfs.

So... technically, neither. But it does also have SeaBIOS, and nothing currently set up for EFI.

I want to witness how you did it.

It's not that I don't believe you. It's that I find this remarkable and I've never seen anyone do this.

You mean like a video of it actually booting, or just how I went through the process of prepping all the software to make it work?

Exaxtly. It's just a piece of shit

is coreboot emulating a device that a linux kernel has a driver for? otherwise I don't get how coreboot works. Although I skimmed the wiki and it says it can load linux by itself. you freefags are fucking with voodoo magic

Actually.. both if possible

If it's not too much to ask. Or is there someone else out there that had done it and has a video on it?

Not sure what you mean... what would need to be emulated?

I don't know of anyone else who has done it, and I don't have any sort of guide. I also don't have a video ready, but I'll see if I can throw one together.

I'm currently rebuilding the image for a slightly different laptop, and GRUB is giving me a bit of trouble building due to some changes in dependencies, so it may be a bit.

Lad, do you have a YouTube channel I could keep a tab on? Or a way to know when you've posted that video?

>Win7-8-81-10
found the problem

never mind I figured it out.

I do have a youtube channel with almost nothing on it, and I just got a working image (excluding wireless, because it's a different type and I don't really feel like fixing that right this second).

I'll see if I can get a good video now, then upload and link it. As for preparing the software... I've been thinking of starting up a blog or something for my crazy projects (high voltage solar setup, converting my car to self-driving, this) that I might eventually link in the youtube video or something. But, that's probably days or weeks off, if I decide I feel like doing it.

That sounds highly ambitious and great. Can you send a link before this thread 404's?

>Installing Realtek CRAB drivers instead of using the Microsoft Windows HDA which is stable and reliable

TOP KEK

Attached: HDA.png (400x455, 19K)

99% botnet, 1% driver

Uploading videos now.
First one shows it booting with no media, then I realized I forgot to show that it can play sound and has a browser, so I made a second video.

I'll probably make a better one later (days probably) with the wireless working, playing videos, displaying websites, etc.

You can't reassign audio jacks with the ms driver.

Thanks!

even if it was only 1% driver, that'd still be huge (>13M)
the realkek audio driver on my linux system is 108K (30K on disk, compressed)

CIA voicelogs mostly Roy

>winblows 10
lol retard

youtube.com/watch?v=pGipRmEd2Es
youtube.com/watch?v=DYYAzEcp0t8

Previously all the stuff on my channel was set to the strictest privacy settings and a video of one of my self-driving-car tests, which I just changed from unlisted to public, so I'm just curious if you can see that and everything shows up correctly on my channel.

What laptop comes with a 8MB (megabyte, yah?) bios chip?

Ever wondered how the acer/whatever brand logo pops up before windows even loads? Its all in the BIOS.

Most new motherboards want more and more data to play with for advanced bios menu's anyway.

Megabytes, yes.
It's a Lenovo T400 with switchable graphics (the switchable graphics is important because the ones without have a 4MB chip due to not needing space for the GPU option ROM).

I've been considering cheating a bit and seeing if I can find a larger compatible chip to squeeze even more in, but surface mount soldering with my tools is a pain in the ass and I'm not sure if just any old chip I throw on there that's pin compatible will work.

Addetum, logo's and whatever are easely 2mb. I'm sure there are several other easy ways to free space.

Don't act like i asked something retarded :( and btw logos are not 2mb at all... Grab a Modbin and see it yourself
>It's a Lenovo T400 with switchable graphics (the switchable graphics is important because the ones without have a 4MB chip due to not needing space for the GPU option ROM).
This is of the most interest for me, godspeed user.

Mate of mine was demanding a BIOS update (for no logical reason, just WANTTHELATEST(TM)) for his Ryzen notebook the other day. Flasher declared the machine had a 128Mbit (that is, 16MB) BIOS chip - backing up the BIOS also produced a 16MB file.

funny to think that a bios chip is the size of an average N64 game

Welcome to Windows.

It's time for me to move up with the times as i see this capacities freakin' high
t. core2duo and atom owner

But hell, modern UEFI is also really complex (it's Linux kernel+busybox+network stack to download updates+shitty backgrounds+else, right?) so technically nothing is wrong

botnet started using electron probably.

Wow a WHOLE 1.3gb?! Holy shit.

Didn't mean to sound condecending, sorry. Didn't know most BIOSes were that small. I've ONLY enountered 8mb bioses. and they store the splash logo in uncompressed windows bitmap format. dont know the actual size of the logo on my laptop. will check in just a moment.

* 8 MB. Clarification

>I've been thinking of starting up a blog or something for my crazy projects

Dunno if you're even still here, but do it, you crazy bastard!

I am seriously impressed, you just need to know how to document it on camera. Gave you a sub, I want to see what you are building

Interesting how you could steer with just a controller.

>Interesting how you could steer with just a controller.
wat

Look on his channel.

youtu.be/csADSIJOhXY

if you do start a blog make a post on YouTube about it so we can find it
I've subbed just for that, godspeed user

Still lurking. I usually like to just check back once in a while until the thread dies.

There's also a microcontroller between the two. You can kinda see all the jumper wires sticking up in the bottom right of the video. Since then I've soldered it together on a nice tidy little board, connected it to the throttle (but that doesn't work properly yet), and attached it all together with ethernet cables and jacks. Next up... shifting a manual transmission with steppers or servo motors, and either working the brake pedal or tying straight into the ABS.

Will do. Just be warned, all, that I have a shitty job that sucks the life out of me and has long hours and doesn't pay all that well, so there tends to be long periods of silence where I do nothing where I do nothing but work and sleep between doing anything interesting.

Although, now that I know some people are interested and have a way to contact me, I may be a bit more motivated.

Feel free to poke and prod at me via comments or whatever if you want to tempt me into doing something :)

Maybe I'll get started on setting up that blog soon... I do have my own server and domain name, I just need to actually install and configure something.

God speed, I'm glad that there's interest in your projects.

Any other way to contact you instead of just leaving a comment? If you need help with setting up a blog. You can ask me if you run into any troubles. I've set up blogs for a couple of people.

This madlad could become one hell of a youtuber. Just needs to improve quality

Even if you don't want to do a video if you don't have time, chuck your basic guide up on a wiki or a pastebin. I'm interested in your self-driving experiments too.

Also subbed. Can you shitpost and watch movies on that embedded build? Is it possible to encrypt it?
>This madlad could become one hell of a youtuber. Just needs to improve quality
werd. He doesn't even need to show his face, just get him on someone else' channel to feature his stuff.

>tfw there's a random wizard on Jow Forums

I can probably add an email in a video description or something. I guess I could use some recommendations on what software to use. I'm kinda thinking of avoiding WordPress as that's way more fancy than I need and is frequently under attack looking for security holes.

Heh, like a pixie wrangler AvE or something.
And I'm well aware of the quality, but what do you expect at 4AM on a Sunday, with no planning, on a camera designed for taking photos and not so much videos.

When I write documentation, I like to go full-out on the details, and I'll probably even attach sample files and explain how/why I did what I did. There will be lots of details.

I can indeed watch movies, as for shitposting... technically yes, but not really. Currently there's no JavaScript support (working on it) so captchas either don't work, or require copying and pasting a long string, but there's no copy/paste functionality in the framebuffer version of netsurf. I kinda wanna jump in and start adding features myself, but I never really have time, or when I do I don't feel like doing it then. As for encrypting it... there's not much point when there's nothing of value stored there. I have been thinking about doing full disk encryption on the main OS so the entire drive just appears to be random junk without any bootloader and using kexec (which it does have now) to boot into it. I may also add a feature to do a secure erase on the SSD (takes like 5 seconds) then wipe the flash, causing the computer to instantly brick itself, just for the comfort of knowing it's pretty government-proofed. I have nothing that's worth hiding like that, but it's just a nice feeling knowing that if they ever came after me for whatever reason, I could really piss in their cheerios.

Hey, wizards get bored too, you know.

he's right, you're shitting on your versatility with that generic stuff. Succumb to the crab man.

>I have been thinking about doing full disk encryption on the main OS so the entire drive just appears to be random junk without any bootloader and using kexec (which it does have now) to boot into it. I may also add a feature to do a secure erase on the SSD (takes like 5 seconds) then wipe the flash, causing the computer to instantly brick itself, just for the comfort of knowing it's pretty government-proofed. I have nothing that's worth hiding like that, but it's just a nice feeling knowing that if they ever came after me for whatever reason, I could really piss in their cheerios.
This is closer to what I was asking about. Good stuff. The lack of JavaScript isn't that big of a deal, I block it almost everywhere anyway.

delete this

Attached: xl-2017-linus-torvalds-1.jpg (620x360, 27K)

this
why else would old soundcards have expandable memory? the reason is obvious

Attached: awe32.jpg (833x438, 60K)

works best when prerecorded samples are 96khz/32bit FLACs

/usr/lib/modules contain the actual drivers
(my kernel is also about 5 mb)

Coreboot has loads of payloads and it's slim as fuck.

I'm honestly not sure why manufacturers don't just load it stock.
It can even boot straight to filesystems like EXT* in BIOS mode with the right payload.

>Install realtek drivers in w10
>Kinda shit managing channels
>Subwoofer kinda quiet
>After some months subwoofer stop working
>Plugin sub+front make the frontal not work
>I went to play again with CloverOs after some months
>Everything works fine
>Subwoofer louder than ever and working properly

Fuck realtek+windows, I was thinking my Mobo was dieing, God damm

So this is going to sound weird, but audio doesn't work like you think it does. The sound card doesn't play back the waveform, but uses pre-made sounds in sequence to generate the sounds you hear. The 1.3gb is just storing all the difference reference sounds and tones to generate what you hear. It's similar to midi or especially mod files, if you're familiar with those.

Actual cards that just play the waveform outright are available but start at about 100-150. The high end PC sound cards do it.

I get audio crackling or random stuttering if I boot Windows without anything plugged in (I usually plug my headphones in and out of my phone/pc) and have to restart to fix it.
I swear the drivers are written by their webdevs.

Now I am curious, I will try uninstalling all realtek bullshit and just go with stock windows drivers, maybe there is some kind of conflict. Muh shit just worked in w7

>Frontal panel audio cable not even plugged in mobo
>Realtek accusing frontal mic and phones are connected
>randomly occurs
>10 months, 2 formats with this bullshit
>Nothing of sorts happens under a Linux boot

I am not even memeing

I think you can use captcha without js, at least both clover and 4chanx support it.

Godspeed user, also subscribed.

good thread
godspeed op

>>I'm honestly not sure why manufacturers don't just load it stock.
oh, goy

Dawwgggg....

Attached: KZKN2ZSM4FRBCRYFWO7BDZFMTE-710x456.jpg (710x456, 49K)

>windows
asked for it

You're fuggin glorious m8

Happened to me before, I had the wrong driver installed.

it probably has U2's latest album embedded in it.

Attached: lol_knuddelhund.jpg (360x288, 16K)

>it probably has U2's latest album embedded in it.
underrated

>i member
man them was the good old days *sips*

>and I'm not sure if just any old chip I throw on there that's pin compatible will work.
I'd have to assume that the system controller assigns a part of the address space to the BIOS chip that is as large as the chip that is factory installed. But who knows, maybe they're using a larger allocation just in case. It would be interesting if that works.

However, pretty sure that any pin-compatible chip would "work" (as in not bricking the system), you might just not get anything more out of it in case there's no more address space allocated to it.