Non-meme non-gentoo distro

what's a non-meme distro I could run? also what's the current Jow Forums neat window manager fad? suggest me stuff I could use to have one neat-o desktop like the cool kids do in the fetch threads

in b4 gentoo

bonus points for the name of that CLI media player I keep seeing on all screenshots (pic related)

Attached: 5b1cff216d28c9a599b5cad8e9363889ceaa58df3af696a5c3a16f8d60df5d8f.png (1366x768, 669K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sanitarium.net/golug/using_gentoo_linux.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

debian

Is that Guix GNU distro usable?

Not trusting it anymore since Ian Murdock got fucked by the CIA glowing niggers

i cant speak for guix.
but i will say than you can make debian as secure as you want

You mean GuixSD? I think you need a 100% laptop to install, you know with a WiFi card that supports free drivers and Free Bios (Libreboot), but I'm not entirely sure.
Debian Net-install.
Unironically Gentoo.

is maintaining gentoo as annoying as arch is to maintain?

Read this, you may find it useful.
sanitarium.net/golug/using_gentoo_linux.html

>you need libreboot
Please don't make this a meme. You don't need a libreboot device to install GuixSD.

That why I said I wasn't entirely sure.

unironically ubuntu

write your own wm and post it here if you want a new fad

Debain with i3

Debian+dwm

I used to use Debian more than 10 years ago, maybe I'll give it another go.

Ok whew, that'd be dumb yet expected from them.

Nowadays what's the main differences between ubuntu and debian? I use Ubuntu for my servers but haven't used Debian in a decade.

i3 looks neat

i3 vs dwm? dwm looks neat too dang

dwm requires you to know some C but is super light

i3 does not and is still really light

Best non meme rolling release distro?

probably manjaro

omg Manjaro is first on distrowatch?! where is this distro coming from? damn it's been a long time I haven't used Linux as a desktop OS!

So far I read it's great

It's basically an easier version of Arch Linux.

If we're talking Jow Forums memes, then probably Ubuntu or Fedora. Anything that has a botnet support.

oh I see... :(

I'm more looking toward something without any botnet

The development team.

But really, idk, normally you'd assume Ubuntu packages are more up-to-date but no idea if that's the case or not

>oh I see... :(
There is nothing wrong with it.

Debian is probably the best.

How is CloverOS that Jow Forums meme distro I keep seeing on the front page? Anyone tried it for any real usage except that Thinkpad guy in the thread?

Going to try it out

gentoo

mpd/ncmpcpp

other than i3 what do I need? do I need something like gdm or some display manager thing?

is LightDM good? Always used GDM back a few years...

startx

lightdm is pretty good.
You could also use something like 2bwm for maximum autism

command not found
I guess I'll need to install X11 / XORG whatever it's called nowadays

holy fuck apt install xorg ends up installing a fucking shit load of packages wtf

Yes, you need xserver and xinit to run startx.
Read the wiki fag.

MX Linux

Install gentoo

Unironically LFS

NixOS

Honestly after memeing a bunch of distros for years I got bored with having to babysit my OS.

If you just want a solid OS you can build on get Ubuntu LTS and do a minimal install. Maybe Debian if you can't bring yourself to use Ubuntu.

If you do minimal you can just install openbox and make a pretty OS just like on arch anyway, just with less hassle and more stability.

Gentoo requires more consistent maintenance than Arch. Sometimes you'll have to decide how to integrate an update into your system which can take 5-10 minutes.
That said, Gentoo is much more stable than Arch - you can handle the details of exactly what version and components of a given package is being installed before any update takes place.

fedora

>non-meme
>arch in OP

Arch is known for being easy to maintain once set up... What are you talking about?

>non-meme distro
No such thing

Attached: 1530803517612.gif (256x192, 1.59M)

So you're looking for a non meme distro with no botnet. Try debian, but if you want non outtadet reps on top of that you're out luck.

/thread

>using arch
What a faggot

Attached: VirtualBox_2018-07-08_01-22-57.png (720x400, 14K)

seriously gentoo

>using Crux in a VM
KYS faggot, or install it on bare metal.

i was at the same point and went for opensuse.

opensuse leap is debianish without the boomer repos.

Attached: 1530760382022.png (1500x2122, 181K)

no u

Forget about the faggots in desktop threads and use ubuntu vanilla.