Confess your sins to the λ gods

Give me (ONE(1(single))) reason why you didn't use a functional programming language for your last project.

Attached: 2000px-Lambda-logo.svg_-300x300.png (300x300, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TS1lpKBMkgg
youtube.com/watch?v=uiJycy6dFSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4jh94gowim0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Half life fucking sucks.

Because I'm not mentally handicapped

no u

It's a long story but what happened was that I needed it to function not be functional

I didn't find a good monad for writing to postgres.

I considered Clojure/script for a project at work but realized everyone who had to contribute to it would hate me for it.

I'm studying graph theory with it, pretty good so far.

i-is it bad if i used OOP for gui, but stayed functional for rest of it?

I fucking knew it

Attached: 1527021858035.jpg (463x463, 58K)

It had to interact with the outside world, and was thus too impure for something like haskell
= (

Clojure (and Scala) are far better than the other meme FP languages in this respect.

You can call Clojure artefacts as you would Java ones, so there is no real problem when it comes to working with other people who don't know Clojure.

Programming language epeen doesn't pay my bills.

Because my class required me to use another language...

i do for my projects, but most employers won't let you or me near it since they can't hire a recent college grad with the skillset in the future

eventually, effect monads

Because I want to be employable

I'm planning to rewrite my homepage in erlang, because the wildfly appserver is a huge garbage

I love Aphex Twin

Attached: 9b14100eaf21c96954be360de6b12598.gif (1536x1152, 42K)

>namefag has shit taste
colour me surprised

because I have a job.

that was a poor attempt at making a joke, but I see the effort

I thought it was rather punny

Because I’m not a fag

Does Swift count as a functional language? Because I'm learning it right now.

maybe I'm a dick then

Because I needed to describe hardware

Give me some good functional languages. Should I start with common lisp? I tried haskell but when I realized it's completely retarded for the sake of being retarded, then I gave up.

>defending Valve's shoopa shinematic shexperience with lots of hitscan enemies, linear and simplistic level design, boring and unsatisfying arsenal, shit story and all important "make sure the player is in control but can't do anything" cutscenes

>common lisp
it's a multiparadigm language (clos)
consider ocaml? it has great transpilation to javascript. code with side effects are a part of life unfortunately.

To be fair, Richard probably has programmed software synths in functional languages.

comparing 2018 tech with 2004 tech

source in 2004 was like 8 years at least in front of anything back then user
in terms of physics animation and literally everything
even today the hammer is considered a must for anyone that is involved on the gaming industry to know

Might try ocaml but I can't are less about transpilation to javascript. I guess my problem is that my brain is too wrapped around OOP because I do everything in C/C++ and I tried some other languages but except haskell none of them were functional. I want to try something different when I have free time.

because i don't know what advantages it yields over procedural or object oriented programming when making operating systems

Scala and Clojure

Scala is a 'better java' which is kind of like Python once you get around Java and Clojure is LISP on the JVM.

All other FP languages are completely unworkable in a production, enterprise environment unless there is some microservices environment where people can use whatever they want and it's containerised.

I read something about erlang on Jow Forums. Would you recommend it as well or rather not?

t. knows absolutely nothing about it

that's cool you can turn oop on if you want but once you familiarise yourself with it more you'll prefer recursion. maybe give erlang a go?

inherently easier actor programming/simple memoisation/it was imagined to be used in the context of a structured commit log

Attached: the hammer.jpg (1466x1466, 103K)

Can't help there, sorry.

I'd be wary about languages that stray too far away from the big languages. Unless there is a company that pushing it as a form of marketing or creating proprietary software, they tend to be hobbyist projects that are unworkable for real projects.

I have never finished HL1

Attached: 1519019586152.jpg (618x412, 37K)

you should absolutely give it a shot, if nothing else but to learn about green processes. erlang was created by big telecom and it's very suitable for large messaging applications (ie whatsapp) where the burden would have been on infrastructure.

>that's cool you can turn oop on if you want but once you familiarise yourself with it more you'll prefer recursion. maybe give erlang a go?
I will take a look on it. I can try new languages and see what might be interesting.

Thank you for trying to help me. I will take a look into scala/clojure, I wanted to try scala at some point anyway.

I don't have big expectations. As I said, I'm already very comfortable with C++, I work with it for years but I like to learn new things, so it's not like I would have big project in mind and choosing now language based on what I need. It's more "try and see" situation.

>Give me (ONE(1(single))) reason why you didn't use a functional programming language for your last project.
Vulkan.
And no elixir is not the solution (already discussed, already rejected).

1. Because JS/TS has everything I need.
2. Because it is easier to debug in a browser.
3. Because I couldn't find a quickcheck library for OCaml/ReasonML.
4. Because Haskell is in limbo: GHCjs sucks and WASM support is not there yet.
5. Because Purescript if fucking slow both in compilation and execution.
6. Because I didn't find a good enough reason to pick something else.

best of luck. ocaml is in a niche as a good language for plt as well.

Because I only write usable and performant software.

I use Javascript, only use const variables, never mutate compound values, only use functions for control flow. Of course I/O is done imperatively, but other than that I'd consider it pretty functional.

Can't make games using ancient useless programming paradigm.

Then why are functional paradigms slowly creeping their way into every enterprise language.

still can't make games.

>Give me (ONE(1(single))) reason why you didn't use a functional programming language for your last project.
Because it was a kernel space device driver.

>I use Javascript, only use const variables, never mutate compound values, only use functions for control flow.
You're the reason why modern web pages take 2 minutes to load and use several gigabytes of memory.

i bet your game code revolves around a core loop.

Haskell is good for that.

Okay but what does that have to do with the thread?

Learn Haskell.

>scala
youtube.com/watch?v=TS1lpKBMkgg
youtube.com/watch?v=uiJycy6dFSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=4jh94gowim0

>Of course I/O is done imperatively, but other than that I'd consider it pretty functional.
The absolute fucking state of programmers today. "of course it's not functional, but I'd consider it functional"

Haskell is good for many things (it's arguably the best imperative programming language around today), but it's not good for brainlets who refuse to learn anything beyond the basic Java class they took all those years ago.