Is a bsc math + stats -> msc machine learning better than any CS garbage?

Is a bsc math + stats -> msc machine learning better than any CS garbage?

What can you learn in a CS degree you can't pickup on google in an afternoon?

Attached: 1521888335501.jpg (308x326, 32K)

May not get to rub shoulders with insufferable, but possibly useful, gatekeepers that are implicitly holding your nuts for your future employment.

>machine learning
meme

>machine learning

Attached: tired.png (1022x731, 643K)

T. CS majors

Math is a good major if you want to be a high school teacher.

That's only true if you don't get your masters.

Even if you get your masters you still have a safety net of making 60-80k(leaf) dollars and teaching 3 math courses in the fall and winter at a community college as a fallback

Getting just your bsc in math leads to high school math yes, but you need to combine it with something in your bachelor or masters

CS is literally a waste of money when the internet exists. Math is much more rigorous and unless you are an autistic savant it requires a teacher.

Attached: 1524625678437.jpg (645x960, 147K)

>60k leaf dollars
A BS in Computer Science will get you 200k burger dollars at any decent tech company. And this is for bog standard webdev shit.

Yes I am aware of that I was merely stating the safety net example.

If you get a bsc and you fuck up you became a high school teacher and you try to dodge each decade by not an heroing

If you get your masters you atleast have a much better fall back incase you fuck up

And thats misleading.

The CS student has to be competent to get that 200k

see

Attached: theproblemwithCSdegrees.png (1842x374, 45K)

And you're implying that there aren't degree mills for Math degrees. Even at a decent university I always had to help the mathtards as a CS student in the intro classes.

Take a 3rd or 4th year math course and see if that post still stands.

Attached: csarethisdumb2.png (1140x431, 82K)

And either way, discrete math and linear algebra are not necessary to get a 200k job for making shitty JS apps.

>obvious false flag

>obvious false flag
You realize you are defending getting a CS degree without taking a course in graph theory?

This is exactly why you people are retards.

Holy fuck

Attached: csarethisdumbtheycantderivemergesortontheirown.png (1294x108, 11K)

That's even more of an obvious false flag.
I don't give a shit what is taught in a CS degree, most of it is useless shit that 95% of people just looking to get into the industry does not need. A month on graph theory is enough to get the concepts needed to create efficient algorithms. Anything more is just intellectual masturbation for mathfags.

I wish that there was a college with some ethics that sat you spergs down and told you the facts of these careers you want to pursue.

You need to major in something that you are good at. If you are good at something you'll be able to get internships which will lead to a job after graduation. From there, you can go up the career ladder until you hit a job where you need the knowledge contained in a masters or doctorate degree. In this case, companies will fund or give you time to do the degrees.

If you come in with a masters or doctorate, you run the risk of being overqualified for junior or mid roles but underqualified for senior or lead roles. So, you'll end up back in academia doing research and teaching. Not to mention, if you do land a senior role, there is a very strong possibility you'll fail (and be fired) because you don't know anything about the business you are in and as such your output is complete shit, whereas if you came in as a junior you could grow.

The key take away is to get out of college ASAP with a degree that gives you general skills (ergo, more places to work) and start working in something relevant instead of taking more degrees you possibly won't ever need or be able to use.

>What can you learn in a CS degree you can't pickup on google in an afternoon?
The same could be said for maths and stats too. Anything related to programming, maths or technology is better taught on the internet than any college.

Attached: CSpeople.png (2972x786, 133K)

I literally work as a data scientist you faggot

>mathfag can't even copy and paste an image without fucking up the aspect ratio

That is only true for people who don't get top tier GPA

>The same could be said for maths and stats too. Anything related to programming, maths or technology is better taught on the internet than any college.

Seriously this. A lot of the math I use at work is self learnt when I need it. I did do some advanced math in university (number theory, analysis of algorithms) but most the math I use at work is self taught (stats). I forgot most of my linear algebra, but I brushed up on it fairly quickly when I needed it.

I would say that math is a little more difficult to self learn than programming is, but that might just be because I come from a programming background

Attached: 1529194891937.jpg (1080x1080, 315K)

If you get a good GPA with all the accolades then you will get a good junior position with career potential.

If you go into a masters or doctorate and run the exclusive academic path, then you need to get a very good postdoc with publications to jump into a tech research or top tier data science team.

By the time you are done with the doctorate, you could easily be in your 30s without ever working a job aside from TA'ing courses for your advisor. There is the startup path as well for the average doctorate grads, but it may take you a good 3 or 4 jobs to get into somewhere decent and at that age you want stability.

>GPA over experience
>ever

I seriously don't get why people go into postgrad to get better work positions anymore. Just publish some papers, and get a good position. You learn way more on the job than researching.

>I seriously don't get why people go into postgrad to get better work positions anymore
There are two types of people who don't leave academia to work after their undergrad degree:
People who are trapped in academia due to a bad GPA who need to get more degrees with a better grade to get out.
People who had a good GPA but instead of working in the real world chose to stay in the hugbox that is academia because they can do things they are interested in rather than deal with a boss and client projects they aren't interested in.

While the second is just arrogance in most cases, the first is largely a product of the awful quality of teaching and terrible academic standards that are the rule in most universities today.