ITT: better days

stealing 2600 from borders bookstore to read with your friends. beige boxing your neighbors at 3am to call your pal. We all ran Slackware but un-ironically thought it was cool Ubuntu was trying to reach out to a larger userbase. Different attacks on the heap/stack in the limelight. Sometimes I miss the 90's and early 2000's

Attached: 1491596072856.png (1080x1920, 623K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20131210204033/http://lucifer.phiral.net:80/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>We all ran Slackware but un-ironically thought it was cool
..or we ran Slack because it was the first viable distro.
98pl14 baby.
"I hear X dumps core under Linux"

the un-ironically cool part was attributed to the creation of ubuntu but right on.

I doubt you'll find many people who can reminisce about the days of phreaking on modern Jow Forums, unfortunately.

Don't be so sure. Some of us are here because we don't give any fucks anymore.

i mean i missed the original days of phreaking when you could get a connection on a phone line. I was just tapping lines on public boxes with my friends we'd all missed the best days. Still though. We caught the last of it which means something. It's all gone now.

>your dad will never bring home a cable descrambler from work again

Attached: when-you-lay-your-head-down-in-a-chicken-mask.png (239x205, 57K)

here here user (raises glass)

this hurts.

Attached: lucifer3.jpg (966x1200, 320K)

Going from a box of floppies to a spindle of CD-RWs to a pack of DVDs, staring at blank media and contemplating its potential. Now you can put terabytes in a space smaller than your penis and there's no excitement at all.

The best day of my childhood was the day dad brought home a 100ft length of 500 pair telephone trunk they accidentally dug up at work.

i still remember going through stacks of old cd's later looking at all the stuff i had.

diablo 1 & 2...
Westwood games ...

[cries deeply]

Attached: background_211.png (1920x1080, 830K)

In another thread I was talking about how I remember sending $10 in an envelope to a dude in California to unlock the rest of his shareware game. His home address was listed in the game. He sent me back the unlock code, and a hand written booklet of cheats and tips for his game.

It was the Exile series for anybody curious.

Attached: 2018-06-24-143938_512x342_scrot.png (512x342, 6K)

Dude was a mensch. Rare breed these days.

honestly I'm just glad I got to be there for some of it. People these days if they find a site with a tiling background it's a hidden gem of wierdness to them. It used to be just anybody no matter who you are you could have a geocities or aol page. FUCK BOOTSTRAP.

just posting more old mac shit

Attached: 2018-06-24-143607_512x342_scrot.png (512x342, 6K)

It's not dead, it's just swamped by the more commercial and more polished. It's still out there.

epic post number xD

holy shit

Attached: one_handed_typing.gif (300x169, 1.06M)

i only had three good memories about my dad. this is one of them.
>be a kid (i've got parkinson's, i can't remember the age i was, but it was around when i got into computers)
>really curious about how the world of computers works
>my dad had a masters in something important for the time, so i thought he would be smart with everything
>ask him to teach me something about computers
>he brings me to the kitchen office area, and sits me down with his old beat up gateway laptop running windows 95
>he shows me how to boot up and get running
>he teaches me the AOL CD trick so we'd have free internet forever despite us being millionaires
>i ask him what the little black icon program was in the start menu
>he told me it was something that'd be too hard to use for anyone and that it's pretty useless these days
>he told me could use the laptop whenever i had permission
>i asked if i could use it for now and tonight; he says yes
>end up teaching myself the DOS prompt that night and went to show him in the morning
>walked into his room, smelled weird and he was completely passed out
those were the days. simpler times when i was curious about what "QWORD" and "RAD" and such were on scientific calculators, and when i thought multicolor bic pens were technological breakthroughs.

any good places i should lurk? I just miss those places where even the girls knew "there are no girls on the internet" (and it wasn't a bad thing to say)

i used to sit on my dad's lap and play this game with him user. some of my best memories with my dad (he's a super quiet guy, was always traveling) were when were on the computer together. we both played diablo too.

I still remember finding telnet, and cmd, and trying to guess my way around my school's old vax server. Thanks for telling me this.

Attached: 2018-06-24-142859_512x342_scrot.png (512x342, 22K)

>any good places i should lurk?
I'm still a hardware freaker. It's gotten weirder and weirder as time goes on. You know the whole thinkpad meme/cult? It gets way more hardcore than that. Like the 51nb guys, except we're milling or own cases, trying out our own LiIon battery chemistries, a few guys are actually experimenting with basement lithography to etch their own wafers (nothing impressive except it's inherently fucking impressive).

> I just miss those places where even the girls knew "there are no girls on the internet" (and it wasn't a bad thing to say)
You know what? That was never really true. Girls into this stuff were rare, but they were always there.

I miss being able to find relevant search results 50 pages into a query on google. I can't tell you how much cool stuff I've come across just autistically googling a specific thing and getting onto a chain that links from interesting thing to interesting thing. Be it files or information, there was always something cool to find. Nowadays, search results only show top 10 lists and other such bullshit.

You also can't find plaintext websites anymore. The last one I found with interesting information on it was web.archive.org/web/20131210204033/http://lucifer.phiral.net:80/

Any similar sites you guys know of?

my uncle and his wife both are phd in physics they work wafer design for fab 42 for intel. serious shit doing lithography for wafers thats amazing though. you on irc or anything?

heh, my first ex wife is a major force in EUV lithography. or, as she used put it, 'just fucking call it X-ray already'.
On IRC yea, but saying my nick is a full doxxing.

my uncle is from what i understand pretty versed but apparent my aunt (small asian lady) is a wizard.

>my nick is a full doxxing.
fair enough, stay on the safe side

Attached: 1488257365835.png (640x478, 431K)

your dad sounds like a nice, but misunderstood guy. glad you had him, user.

>fair enough, stay on the safe side
I'm no big deal, but people have been total dicks in the past so yeah. It's all fun and games till some millennial asshole is threatening my kids. Like... WTF dude?

Anyway, I'm an old-school analog guy who thinks digital is kinda neat. I content myself with power electronics and back light control and stuff like that.

I miss my dad. He died young. I never really got to know him as an adult.

when i was young (teens-20's) i hated my dad for being a 'square' and always being gone. never showing any emotion, always just blank stare powering through the worst i could think to say as a fucked up kid. Now i realize the reason i'm doing so well today is because of who he was. i won't forget it.

even though my dad is alive still i feel like i don't know a lot about him, and i never will because of how quiet he is. His dad just died too and he remarked that he still didn't know a lot about his dad.

that's part of it though. your dad is god. there is always a part of him that will be unkown to you, that you'll seek to know, because it means to find yourself too. I think your dad would just tell you to find yourself. When you are happy with who you are and what you are, you'll find what you dad is there.

Attached: background_107.jpg (1920x1080, 276K)

I think it was because mp3 players werent the norm. You have so few of those cd r that you had to plan out your collection and games, but there were few games, namely the sims.

i remember having my 1-2 games i played on PC, and my console. these days i stare at 100+ games in my steam library and think "none of these seem like what i wanna play"

Attached: 1497220197579.png (1440x2560, 1.96M)

*SNAP*

>I think your dad would just tell you to find yourself. When you are happy with who you are and what you are, you'll find what you dad is there.
He died 25 years ago. I still dream about him, long involved dreams, once or twice a week.
Worse, I'm just like him and I'm worried I'll die young and my boys will do the same.

Kinda specific, but really cool plaintext site:
geofex.com

thanks for reminding me to update my filters

i wish i had a dad like yours. there's a reason i only had three good memories about him.
he abused my mom and siblings, got my mom to sign legal documents while she was in labor so he'd have her multi-million dollar fortune, and sent my family into a pit of poverty we're still recovering from. he apparently spent $3M so far on drugs and alcohol and put the rest in an offshore vault. he refuses to pay child support for my three other siblings and will wait until my youngest sibling is 18 so he gets off scot-free. if i ever see that bastard again in my life, i'm hiring someone to shoot him for me, because i don't even care enough about him to shoot him myself.

nah man you're gonna make it and raise them

Attached: background_29.png (1920x1080, 715K)

dude get this man and avenge your family

Attached: 1525675754939.jpg (300x222, 9K)

Hope so.
Half the men in my family die in their 40s (like my dad). I'm 46.
The other half live to 100.

I guess I find out soon enough.

46 and on Jow Forums, thought I was bad at 27

i mean you made it over the hump basically. you'll be 100 and your kids are gonna be sick of you but your estates will be massive

Attached: 1529341442246.jpg (1067x785, 98K)

op here, 30 :-/

Attached: ZwLiruN.jpg (432x444, 47K)

>you'll be 100 and your kids are gonna be sick of you
That is in fact the winning condition :-)

Bah, Jow Forums is fun.

Being a dad seems like beating the main quest on skyrim and now just go do whatever the fuck you want with your character it doesn't even matter just get out there pal.

Attached: c29f18d9aff1d3396acd779fcfb0f2eab2b75fb9aecd3e0729d3d562e4109251.jpg (1000x997, 501K)

Being a dad is the best thing ever. Might even have gotten better once mom took off.

Attached: blastdad.jpg (420x420, 51K)

I am not going to cry please

Attached: 1525502528632s.jpg (125x97, 2K)

I can relate . Gaming feels almost like work nowadays.
Also everybody thinks their opinions matter and software gets bashed for stupid reasons creating a world where everybody has to like the same shit.