Replace nvidia card with amd card because muh open source drivers

>replace nvidia card with amd card because muh open source drivers
>temps doubled
>shitty, buggy drivers
>coil wine

Attached: 1530429366969.png (362x507, 192K)

Other urls found in this thread:

searx.me/?q=nvidia open source driver
youtube.com/watch?v=qSwh4OpyhrE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

*whine

so Jow Forums, when will foss weenies do anything right?

but nvidia cards do have open source drivers? Did you seriously waste money without doing research first?

searx.me/?q=nvidia open source driver

>Replace AMD housefire for fresh new Nvidia GPU
>game looks shitty
>update driver
>game looks even worse

wew

>buy hardware from a well-known manufacturer
>hardware has a ton of internal firmware, multiple ARM co-processors, is attached to PCI-E with access to DMA and literally every subsystem of a computer
>everything is safe b0ss
>won't trust the driver created by the very same company

how is the noise amd's fault? Is it a even a reference card?

But the AMD drivers have proprietary binary blobs. Use Nouveau drivers, as they are entirely free.

>shitty, buggy drivers
lol no, they have the best driver on Linux, even Intel is slightly worse (they still haven't fixed the bad color range for example)
>coil wine
what brand did you buy?
I have one reference and one XFX card and no coil whine whatsoever

No, they are not. Noveau needs signed blobs from Nvidia to do literally anything. That's why Noveau performance is so shitty on all recent GPUs - Nvidia simply didn't provide signed blobs for some of the features.
In fact, even Intel now requires firmware blobs. PC ecosystem is turning fully botnet and there's no replacement in sight.

Here's an idea, don't support the, by buying new hardware.

>just don't buy a GPU!!!!
lmao

I said don't buy a new one, you fucking retard.

It's ok, hes a typical ngreedia retard who thinks that only 1 company in the world makes GPUs.

He is in part, the reason why the PC hardware space is so incredibly shitty!

not very practical
the older non-blob Intel GPUs are tied to the CPU, so you'd be stuck with shitty Intel quad-cores all the while CPU performance improves greatly due to competition between Intel and AMD

He sounds like one of those "gamer" types.
I wouldn't recommend using x86 at all.

fuck it dood

Works for me

AMD is for cpu only

>I wouldn't recommend using x86 at all.
there's no alternative
ARM is botnet upon botnet and the few fully-open SoCs still don't come in any reasonable form factors and without the necessary features to replace x86 desktops
RISC-V with reasonable performance is a decade away and there's no guarantee it won't end up being the same botnet ecosystem as ARM
POWER itself may be open, but the things you plug in to make it work sure as fuck aren't

there's no hope

>but the things you plug in to make it work sure as fuck aren't
Like what?

like GPUs

Optional.

let's not kid ourselves, it's pretty much required for a good desktop experience these days

let's not kid ourselves, it's not

software rendering sucks dicks, software decoding sucks even more
it's barely manageable on 1080p and turns very ugly beyond that
is recognizing that we need a good open GPU such a problem for you?
in fact there are some in the ARM land but utterly useless because the boards are feature-starved in other departments

there's nothing intel gma won't give you unless you're a gamerfag. even then, i have a feeling that stuff does most games well on medium-low settings.

yes, but it's tied to older Intel CPUs, and it isn't future-proof

>Get 7950.
>It's loud, runs like an erupting volcano, draws similar power to a mini fridge.
>Get a 1060.
>Runs fanless while idle, performance out the ass, electricity bill nearly halved.

I really wanted to like the red team.

Also the 7950 shat the bed within like a year and half from purchase, meanwhile my GTS 450 is still going strong 7 years later.

>Buy a 28nm flagship card
>Buy a 14nm mid-range card with less than half the hardware
>somehow the second one is cooler
WOW

>anecdotal evidence is the reason I'm a fucktard

I had a 770. it was a massive piece of shit. Sagged like hell, didnt overclock AT ALL (3% max) and the fan was so fucking loud I hated it. I switched to a 7970 and it was instantly far better.

That doesn't mean nvidia is shit and AMD is good. IT MEANS that millions of products are made and sold and we happened to get a shit one.

Fucking idiot.

P.S. Ngreedia are shit and AMD does roxx, but thats not the point of this message at all.

A better comparison would be the RX 570/580 and the 1060. They are about the same price.

>7950
>Flagship card.
Personal experience and opinion dumbass, 2 green cards still working and one red with a fucked up VRM, didn't talk shit about either anyway, and I am currently running an R5 1600 anyway.
Wasn't the point user, and even comparing the two quite frankly I'd still pick the 1060, less power draw and less heat.

WOW. 1 AMD CARD
WOW. YOUR EXPERIENCE CATALOGUE IS HUGE
YOU CAN SURELY MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION.

Also, you have only owned 3 GPU's? get the fuck off Jow Forums you 14 year old.

Friendly reminder that Pascal gimping is going to start soon.

Get the fuck off your high horse "I didn't talk shit"
You pathetic child. Take responsibilities for your words. You very clearly implied a negative attitude towards the red card.

You don't need to "talk shit" to talk shit. Any adult knows this.

>>coil wine
In five years it will be worth thousands.

Nvidia cards will unfortunately always be better than AMDs. Luckily AMD is getting better than Intel for CPUs

youtube.com/watch?v=qSwh4OpyhrE

how will nvidiots ever recover?

womp womp

Fell for the AMD shilling.

Just use the proprietary Nvidia drivers, there isn't a better Linux GPU experience period.

Literal cuck.

>Nvidia cards will unfortunately always be better than AMDs.
Don't understand how that's unfortunate.
>Luckily AMD is getting better than Intel for CPUs
I remember when everyone knew more cores was a joke. You must be too young.

It really isn't. Dual Power9s is fine without one.

Dude there are no open source AMD drivers, they all rely on proprietary blobs.

You have to use shitty nouveau with older Nvidia cards, which is obviously sub optimal if you want to play games.

But honestly either way Nvidia is better for both categories.

The real cuck is the one giving their cash to AMD for an inferior product with inferior support.

>if you want to play games.
18+

Nvidia fucktards are literally the worst type of computer user.
As someone who has actually written software which interacts with GPU drivers is a direct way, I can say that Nvidia is the fucking worst, and they can go fuck themselves, and their users are retarded sheep.

I thought amdgpu was fully open source, with binary blobs only in amdgpu-pro which is not any better.

>written software which interacts with GPU drivers is a direct way
>is a direct way

Right.
Nope all AMD Linux drivers require blobs to function.

Attached: mentally-challenged-indian.jpg (250x250, 25K)

*GPU drivers

>EGLStreams
Nvidia can go fuck themselves.

>I read some blog written by SJW faggots about wayland and I'm mad.

Good thing its open source and it doesn't fucking matter what the maintainers want because Nvidia support is more important.

Brainless fucking AMD tool.

I thought that thumbnail was a merchant at first

But that's firmware blobs, not the driver. The GPU itself is not open so you can't really expect open source firmware for it.

>>I read some blog written by SJW faggots about wayland and I'm mad.
No, I'm actually a Wayland compositor developer.
>Good thing its open source
What's open source? Nvidia's shitty driver?
>because Nvidia support is more important
Fuck that. I'm not going to add another code path and massive layer of complexity to my code, just so that I can get fucked over.
You've basically only got GNOME sucking Nvidia's dick. KDE is refusing to implement support for that shit too.
>Brainless fucking AMD tool.
AMD and Intel are far more open source friendly, so I advocate for either of them.

>driver unironically called novideo

>>temps doubled
In Kelvin? In Celcius? You lie.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-08 g - Technology ยป Thread #54129897-or8.png (525x156, 17K)

>Wayland compositor
dunno which one but
tried sway a few times and there is lag, a lot for the cursor
gnome makes mpv playback stutter slightly
weston works, but crashes, usually because of xwayland, and can't switch tty without it going black screen with recent version
if by any chance you work on weston - super+space is much better than super+tab

that's the (now old) ATi free driver
mesa/xf86-video-ati

>tried sway a few times and there is lag, a lot for the cursor
Yes, pre-1.0 sway is pretty bad in a lot of regards, although it can actually be attributed to WLC.
The immediate-mode renderer and lack of hardware cursors had terrible performance.

We've replaced WLC with our own, significantly better library. So sway 1.0 currently works a lot better.
It's still only an alpha-quality release at the moment. There are still several missing features and bugs.

shhh, keep rational thoughts outside of Jow Forums, you'll scare the autistic children

why are you calling ARM a botnet

is there any opensource frimware at all for common PC parts?