re - regular expression
p - then print the result

youtube.com/watch?v=NTfOnGZUZDk

Attached: grep.png (874x596, 528K)

Other urls found in this thread:

robelle.com/smugbook/regexpr.html#expression
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grep
twitter.com/AnonBabble

any more vids explaining where these names came from?

It's cool and shit, but god damn am I tired of having to recall all this -A -B -m -v bullshit every month, where it can mean whatever the fuck depending on command. Is there a visual shell command builder or something? It's not faster at all than clicking through menus if I have to use man every time I have to use anything in a non-trivial way.

WHAT DOES dd MEAN?

Attached: 1352941342481.png (640x480, 408K)

destroy data

"disk destroyer"

i don't know
this author had first hand knowledge which is unusual

'duplicate disk'

data (to) disk

The first time I used the windows CMD to create Unix installation media I thought I was being so naughty typing fsck...

Come to think of it; so did my family after I wiped the family's Windows 2000 PC

"Convert and Copy a file", but cc was already taken by "C Compiler"

>type "command -h"
>replies with "type command --help for help"
For fucks sake.

Double Doods

Brian Kernighan is fantastic, he reminds me of my grandfather.
>tfw no chillax job at Bell Labs, developing whatever the fuck I want and then half-assing a reason for why it could help AT&T
>tfw too mediocre to get a job where I'm surrounded by people I can learn from and help in projects with
>stuck doing inane IT and basic scripting tasks for the rest of my life

Onironically disk dump

'ding dong'

"data definition", all others are wrong

>Computerphile
Is this one of their coherent videos or is this yet another of those "old fuck rambles on for twenty minutes and barely mentions the topic" videos that they churn out constantly?

Powershell has the solution. Its parameters have meaningful names, as well as shorter aliases, whereas Bash commands tend to have short names and occasional meaningful aliases.
But Powershell's approach will never be integrated into a Linux shell.

We have lost, as there will never be change in this department. It's Bash all the way into the future.

Remember when the fat guy on their team released a long video about why his iphone is the best? xD

Lets just post this shit.
tar - tape archive

digdug

The guy just liked tits

??

Attached: dd.jpg (600x600, 99K)

>he doesn't know about fsh

Attached: 1527279955071.jpg (750x546, 32K)

Understandable, they're plastic.

Wrong!

Trips speak the truth.

All legendary programmers use a Macbook. :)

Dangerous Dave

Attached: 460368-dangerous_dave_2.png (640x400, 9K)

damn you got that bimbo

double d's or was it diamond dogs?

What the fuck is a regular expression anyway?

Attached: CopyQ.jd6681.png (333x543, 15K)

robelle.com/smugbook/regexpr.html#expression

>But Powershell's approach will never be integrated into a Linux shell.
I might be mistaken but isn't there a powershell for Linux?

But dd very specifically doesn't do any conversion of data

Why the fuck are there all these different grep commands that do nothing but run grep with a couple of flags

print working directory

some are just aliases.
compgen -a =alias
-b=builtin
-c=command
-k=keyword
-A function = function

On my system, all of the various *grep commands (except for pgrep, ptargrep, and zipgrep) are all copies of the exact same binary. Renaming any of them causes them to change their behavior to that of the one they were renamed to.

Why does grep specifically get to eschew the convention of using flags for switching behaviors? No other command line utility I'm aware of tries to use its call-name to switch minor behaviors on or off.

>watching numberphile/computerphile youtube channels

Attached: 1477347052302.gif (275x187, 1.1M)

grep is part of the old boys club
simple as

They didn't want to make shorter names. Two letters was the limit of their "save literally milliseconds typing" autism.

Did you even read the post you're replying to?

Did you?

Attached: images.png (332x152, 8K)

Attached: images.jpg (300x168, 10K)

The post you're replying to is questioning the explanation of "It was going to be Convert & Copy but cc was taken so they made it dd". Your post has nothing to do with that.

delet dis

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grep

Yeah, he said it doesn't convert, but it does copy. The implication being that they wanted to go with c but went with cc which became dd instead.

>The implication being that they wanted to go with c but went with cc
Fucking what? You think the implication was that wanted to name it "c" for "copy" but it was too short so they added a new word to the utility that supposedly doesn't actually apply to it at all to get another letter that they weren't even going to use?

Just shut up. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

It does do conversion. It has conversion filters for things like uppercasing ascii characters. It wasn't originally intended for the primarily block-device-based uses we have for it today, it just happened to work well for them.

some of the things in /usr/bin are actually a symbolic link to another binary, but they don't provide the same results. Somehow your shell or command interpreter recognizes the link as an argument to the linked command. I dunno how it actually werks.

Attached: CopyQ.th6681.png (352x170, 8K)

I know, but my *grep commands are not symlinks or hard links. They are actual duplicates of the binary and are bit-for-bit the same. All binaries can determine what they were called as via argv[0]. See busybox for a good example.