So are there legitimate reasons to hate MacOS or is it just a meme?

So are there legitimate reasons to hate MacOS or is it just a meme?

Attached: original_macos_logo_redesigned_by_zapper3-da9gl56.png (1032x774, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/apple/comments/8wpk18/macos_mojave_nukes_subpixel_antialiasing_making/
web.archive.org/web/20140705011421/https://bold.pixelapse.com/minming/mac-os-x-yosemite-under-the-magnifying-glass
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's very less wrong with MacOS, much more with the company selling it.

the os itself is fine. just the company that makes it is shit. also, a lot of third party software sucks. for example, ms office is fucking painful to use on mac os. my favourite feature is how every software is portable. no registry or installation mess. simply drag and drop the application to the garbage to uninstall. done.

Most people working in tech (outside of India) are using macOS.

used by normies for normie things but i admit they look kinda nice

Closed to propietary hardware. I think the OS is fine, probably the best for productivity.

Literally malware.

Yes, it is proprietary. That is a reason to hate it. But most people who hate it are wangtards who use an even worse OS.

Can't cut and paste files

(you)

>Cmd+C
>Cmd+Opt+V
That easy

now that is bullshit.

you're like 12 years out of date.

Schools

What do you mean?

>my favourite feature is how every software is portable. no registry or installation mess. simply drag and drop the application to the garbage to uninstall. done.

It's portable in the sense that apps can be run from and moved around to any location in the filesystem (including external and network volumes, and disk images), but even when you drag them to the Trash you're likely still leaving behind settings and other small files in your home Library folder.

i read hate as use ...

>So are there legitimate reasons to hate MacOS or is it just a meme?
no, macos is fine.. the hardware it runs on though

this. They have a lot in common with Ubuntu snap packages
I really hate the DE on Macs. Literally worse than Windows10 and I hate Windows 10s DE. Macfags often act like entitled children.
> Inb4 use third party software to fix DE. A polished turd is still a turd.

they will soon kill all legacy 32-bit applications thereby making a large part of the already small library worthless. In addition the official hardware that the OS runs on is ridiculously underpowered for the price.

>they will soon kill all legacy 32-bit applications

Good. Legacy software shouldn't be kept around for longer than a decade. The last version of OS X that ran on 32-bit Macs was Snow Leopard in 2009.

(you)

Attached: 1482985068954.jpg (1080x960, 202K)

What's wrong with the DE?

Font AA will be dropped despite not all supported MB use retina display. Shitty panned obsolescence.

Link to more info?

reddit.com/r/apple/comments/8wpk18/macos_mojave_nukes_subpixel_antialiasing_making/

Thanks

proprietary, hard to customize, made by and for soiboys and women and it's primarily a consumerist status symbol
if you unironically use this consider sudoku

I really hate that it's such a pain in the ass to reinstall on an older machine.Sometimes the install disk is so old you can't upgrade from the version it has on it.Also,software support is still borderline shit.I'd rather use Linux these days and I say that as a former die-hard Macfag. My irritation with Apple has only grown after the demise of Snow Leopard.

I know. I got a hand me down MacBook with Lion and I just ended up pirating a newer version of the OS. They make it a pain because they want your shekels to upgrade.

its ugly brah.
It looked good 15 years ago but they essentially haven't changed it, now it looks like a worse version of Unity 7 which is really saying something.

It's not the most popular OS, so you're always going to be missing out on something and run into software compatibility issues.

No real advantages to use it over the most popular OS. All the differences are pointless and, at best, offer very minuscule advantages in very nice edge cases.

Attached: StatCounter-os_combined-ww-monthly-201706-201806.png (1280x720, 97K)

They completely redid the UI in 2016.

>No real advantages to use it over the most popular OS.
There are more reasons to avoid using Windows than there are to keep using it.
Windows is a mess and actually harmed the home computer industry. Even Linux is lightyears ahead of it in terms of usability.

>Completely redid

Dude, the DE fundamentally looks EXACTLY the same, stale old bullshit. Moving a couple buttons around in the file explorer and adding a little more transparency here and there does not constitute a new UI.

Intending to use Hackintosh Mojave as my main OS with Windows 10 being what it is and Microsoft going further downhill every year.

Attached: 1518288749839.png (802x854, 1.42M)

They killed 68k applications. They killed classic powerpc applications. They killed powerpc OS X applications. It'll be fine.

>my favourite feature is how every software is portable. no registry or installation mess. simply drag and drop the application to the garbage to uninstall. done.

How the fuck is this a good thing? Why should you have to hunt down obscure program files or use 3rd party programs to completely uninstall a program? It's 2018 for fuck sakes, if you uninstall a program it should have the ability to remove all of its files it created. That's why shitty programs like mackeeper came into existence. Windows has this issue to, but at least it uninstalls the majority of the program.

>Dude, the DE fundamentally looks EXACTLY the same, stale old bullshit.
Are you complaining they don't do a radical redesign for the sake of making a radical redesign? For what benefit?
Not to mention that even "fundamentally" the UI has gone drastic changes since 2003.

Attached: desktop-2M.jpg (5120x2880, 1.96M)

Why is Jow Forums always complaining about hardware prices as part of critique against MacOS if hackintosh has been available for almost 15 years now?

I'm not sure why this is an issue? Config files are like 5kb you got plenty of space

People just hate the company and the normies who buy it who are usually gay

>if you uninstall a program it should have the ability to remove all of its files it created.
Programs should never handle installing and uninstalling. That's such a huge security issue.
This is why package managers are objectively better.

>Are you complaining they don't do a radical redesign for the sake of making a radical redesign?

No, read my first post. I'm saying it looks ugly. It is not a good looking environment anymore.

You seriously think this looks good?

Attached: 10.2.8-Jaguar.jpg (640x479, 73K)

I sure did 15 years ago, but in 2018, there are many better options. The problem is Mac OS still looks like that. Imagine giving windows ME transport window borders, that's all Apple has done to their operating system.

Not that guy, but yes?

Attached: macos-app-store-beta-offset-4000x2667.jpg (4000x2667, 1.13M)

>The problem is Mac OS still looks like that.
?

Attached: desktop.jpg (5120x2880, 2.95M)

transparent, not transport.

Are you trying to prove my point? You could make Jaguar look the same as your setup with an icon pack and identical dock and menu bar settings.

So what you're asking for is a radical redesign for the sake of a radical redesign. There is no other possible interpretation of your argument.
You don't even realize what you want.

Attached: 00117what.jpg (1920x1080, 295K)

It doesn't need a radical redesign just something that will bring it in line with current design trends.
You know you can change how things look without changing how they function yeah, what don't you understand here?

I told you they did that in 2016 with Yosemite. Unless you're seriously arguing that modern MacOS has transparent inactive titlebars, pinestripes, gloss, and brushed metal. In which case you're just wrong.
The UX of MacOS has changed slightly, but the overall structure of the UI has remained the same because it works.
Your kind of thinking is what lead to Microsoft thinking Windows 8 was a good idea.

Best OS

But they didn't progress the philosophy of the design. Look at Deepin, that is the direction Mac OS should have gone, clean and minimalist while maintaining the more iconic elements of their UI. But they instead they sat still for 15 years and Mac OS in 2018 looks like it should have been released alongside Vista.

There is no legit reason to like MacOS, much less shill it.

Talk whatever crap you want about macOS. It's insecure? sure, it's inconvenient to use? yeah, it's proprietary? ok. But if there's one stupid thing you can't say is "the interface looks bad". It never looked bad, not even in the days of OS 8/9.
Do you realize what were the other options at the time? fucking XP a.k.a Microsoft's worst fucking UI of all time either that or win2k.
For the time this looks perfect, no 90's looking taskbar like the classic look on winxp and no goofy looking shit like XP's taskbar/titlebars.
>current design trends
LMAO
Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
Why do you think in 1803 Windows 10 got a ton of transparent blur effects? where do you think that came from? the glass-like transparent blur effect has been a thing on macOS for AGES. Remember when Vista launched and everyone mocked it because of how microsoft straight up stole a bunch of ideas from OSX? yeah that's still a thing even nowadays.

Changing your entire design philosophy is a radical redesign. Apple understands that a UI is a tool, since it's how you interface with your computer visually. There's no reason or point in changing the fundamentals if they work.
What do you think Apple needs to do with the UI to 'update' it?
I don't know what old Deepin looked like, but when I tried Deepin it felt like every other time I've used Linux. Some stuff looked nice, but every piece of software had its own design, and the software that wasn't custom to the DE/Distro looked like it was out of place, even if it was using the theme.
>Mac OS in 2018 looks like it should have been released alongside Vista.
MacOS is the most 2018 looking OS. Just because it doesn't try to be flashy like Deepin doesn't mean it's outdated.

Attached: selection.png (2158x1676, 2.35M)

Not bullshit. The vast majority of engineers in my company, across all departments, use macbooks. Some have linux. I've never seen a modern tech company be mainly windows based.

Do you know how painful developing software on windows is?

>trying to use windows an argument
Now I now you're getting desperate, when did I say that Windows looked good?

I already told you what they should have done, minimalization. Yeah programs are inconsistent on linux but they wouldn't be on Mac OS.
I seriously don't get how you can look at that screenshot you attached and not think it looks like shit.

Nah he’s right

The UX of windows is some sort of crime. Plus if you use iOS then iCloud is a godsend.

Thats equivalent to saying getting a plastic bag from duane reade when you buy just a pack of gum is OK because the plastic bag is free

With MacOS deprecating OpenGL and rejecting MoltenVK, programming for Macs is about to become more painful.

fpbp
Worth mentioning that mac OS gets worse every year though with Apple's further descent into mediocrity

Not really. Have you tried Metal yet?

>Modern tech company
No one cares about your garbage silicon valley SJW open floorspace startup 'statistics' kiddo.

Post something that looks good for you then so I can laught about it.

Wow, look at all those buzzwords. So do you just prefer to spout memes than know what you're talking about?

>I already told you what they should have done, minimalization.
Yosemite was exactly that.
web.archive.org/web/20140705011421/https://bold.pixelapse.com/minming/mac-os-x-yosemite-under-the-magnifying-glass

>Yeah programs are inconsistent on linux but they wouldn't be on Mac OS.
Apple makes it easy to design within their guidelines and hard to design outside it.
Taking a lot of the UI design out of the developers' hands is the best thing Apple has done. Linux is what happens when you let developers of applications design the UI. Not to mention the multiple UI toolkits and DEs with different design philosophies.

>I seriously don't get how you can look at that screenshot you attached and not think it looks like shit.
I have good taste.

Metal itself isn't the problem. It's the cross-compatibility.

>The UX of windows is some sort of crime. Plus if you use iOS then iCloud is a godsend.

All of those are pointless differences. There is nothing there you can't do on Windows. It's all just a different skin.

Oh ok then, let's just all shit on the road. It only takes up a little space. Fuck off pajeet

Tabs in the filemanager

Bad security, closed source, and runs on really shitty hardware.

>runs on really shitty hardware.
The only person you have to blame is yourself for that one

One of the billions of TotalCommander ripoffs.

You can't change the file manager on Windows. You still will inevitably have to use explorer and the built in file management.
Windows is at 2007 stages of UI development.

>using GUI for filemanagement
Looks like you're still stuck in 2007, gramps.

>Are you complaining they don't do a radical redesign for the sake of making a radical redesign?
They kind of did it and screwed it up big-time. They had a beautiful aqua design with realistic shadows, icons and animations and they traded that for flat but with gradients everything-looks-like-a-sex-toy design just for the sake of redesign.

This. Jobs would fucking hate nu-Apple, they screwed up in pretty much every way possible

>wanting to follow design trends
you make Mac apologists look good, stop it

Only works with ridiculous overpriced Apple hardware

I'm trying to do my fucking job here. their OS update cycle is complete bullshit for a corporate environment

>rejecting MoltenVK
That's not what happened, the issue was that moltenvk was using private apis, which apple has always had a strong policy about.
There are enough reasons to shit on apple, you don't need to make up another one.

>developing software on windows
>painful
You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Pajeet from India here. I see Macbooks everywhere in tech offices

No reason. I prefer to use Linux but it's fine for most people

The business yes. The OS, no. It is easily the most stable/useful OS I've ever used. While the hardware cost is high, I've gotten a lot of value in the long run. And the OS upgrades cost nearly nothing or were free up until Sierra (my mac pro is too old to run it). I still use it as my primary computer. It's not perfect (nothing is), but when it comes to turning it on, getting shit done fast without everything being a fucking project, and moving on, it's the only OS to use.

I dread the day this thing dies because there's no way in hell I'm buying that trashcan. I REALLY don't want to build a hackintosh, but I guess I'll have no choice.

>mingw
>cygwin
>just edit your environment variables bro!
>deploying python services

Go back to your cubicle and keep writing enterprise maintenance software

wrong

>Second chair
>left to rot on the vine
>comical security issues as of late

Apple has mentioned a modular Mac Pro being designed for the future, likely 2019.

Attached: iu.jpg (3860x2160, 238K)

The only thing is does right is aesthetics.
I would be fine with it if you could install it on non-overpriced hardware.
I would excuse how buggy it is if it weren't capped off.

You can install it on non overpriced hardware very easily.

ITT mactoddler morons don't even know how their own toddlerOS works.
When you drag a program to your apps folder it takes a shit over your entire drive spewing diarrhea into every folder, and when you drag it into the trash to "uninstall" it, it leaves 80% of it behind. fagOS is a fucking joke.

Attached: 1529314677365.jpg (429x245, 24K)

>very easily
Maybe if you purchase the hardware for this purpose or happen to be incredibly lucky.

Attached: thefook.jpg (275x279, 16K)

Install AppCleaner. There, problems gone.

No. I even got it working perfectly vanilla on my gaming computer with a GTX 1080. It's easier than setting up Linux once you know what you're doing.

The problem is finding a guide that isn't shit.

There are no legitimate reasons to hate Mac

unless you're a """gamer""" or a fat it guy you should either use macos or any linux honestly