/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: parrot-love.jpg (1180x790, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

7-zip.org/download.html
debian.org/doc/debian-policy/#scripts
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/echo.html
gnu.org/audio/gnu-pronunciation.ogg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for the sake of being first

Can anyone give me some good resources for setting up nftables?

Artix is edgiest distro!!!!1 systemd is garbo that must b stopped!

Is GNU/Linux feasible on a tablet, such as a surface or some ~$300 USD chink tablet?

What should I use to work with 7zip files?

>surface
I don't think they even support installing other OS'. That being said, buying a Microsoft made computer to run non-MS OS' is willingly kek'ing yourself.
>chink tablets
Hit or miss. Some of them have hardware that will work with generic distros OOB. Some require some tinkering/hacking with the software (like compile a kernel yourself). On others basic features like wifi, bluetooth, nand boot, touch panel etc. will not work.

Install p7zip then any program that can handle archives (xarchiver, mc etc) will work just fine.

7-zip.org/download.html

unar

unzip

I downloaded the exe, what now? xD

In ncmpcpp, is there a way to:
>Automatically add music to your current playlist from the directory path you've set? Or do I need to clear playlist everytime and re-add the directory as new music gets added?
>A keybind to sort by Artist/Album?

Attached: 1531021152243.png (731x485, 135K)

Are you retarded

Scroll down faggot.

What is the best graphical archive manager in your opinion? xarchiver works ok, but the graphical feedback is horrific. Engrampa works like 50% of the time for me

>*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***
reported

>>surface
>I don't think they even support installing other OS'. That being said, buying a Microsoft made computer to run non-MS OS' is willingly kek'ing yourself.
From what I have heard, some surface tablets were problematic with Linux distros ( the Surface 4), but that was a few years ago.

The Teclast X3 Plus has luck with Antergos, which should be acceptable. I just wonder how well it would work.

Hi friends,

I want to install Debain onto my machine but I'm a little confused how to install without ruining my dualboot

Currently, I have Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows7 installed on my SSD.

I want to completely wipe Ubuntu and and install debian. Looking at a tutorial online I guess I have to play around on the screen in the pic? I'm just not quite sure which option to choose and how to do it correctly?

Still a GNU/Linux noob but I want to leave Ubuntu

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-08 09-41-41.png (616x414, 96K)

I recently installed an SSD but read an article that a swap can shorten the lifespan of the drive. Is that founded?

manual
normal usage you shouldn't worry about it.

so I have a .xinitrc with a bunch of general settings (such as setxkbmap, xset and mpd) and a start script that reads $1 and open the according wm but x11 fails to open on tty2 because "server is already active for display 0". where is the trick? I'd like to login twice in my account to test two wm at the same time on different ttys

ok thanks i thought so, but how would the follow 2 pics look during manual install? (taking these pics from a youtube video btw)

what should i be selecting/changing?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-08 09-50-21.png (623x427, 123K)

Your primary objective should be getting rid of Windows.

2/2

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-08 09-50-48.png (626x425, 111K)

you will see one disk with probably 4+ partitions. you will need to leave the windows partition alone, delete the ubuntu ones, and then use the newly created free space to install debian. depending on the boot loader and if it's EFI or BIOS, debian installer should handle that stuff. how did you install ubuntu? it's the same installer basically.

Depends of how you set up your Ubuntu/Windows disk earlier. Just tell Debian to wipe whatever partition uses ext4 and set its mountpoint to /. If you have swap, it should detect it and opt to use it automatically.

is
du --apparent-size
slower?

i think i installed windows first and then ubuntu. the installer was pretty self explanitory, but i was watching the debian install video and it looked a little bit complicated so im not sure if im just frigging myself out:DD

as for the rest, I have BIOS and ubuntu is set to priority 1 for boot order

use time to test for yourself.

The filesystem should be identified for the partition. Ntfs is windows Ubuntu uses ext4

thanks a lot friend :)

why did i let veracrypt convince me i should choose FAT

i don't give a fuck about compatibility, what am i supposed to do now with this videos over 4GB for fuck sake REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Well, I am not sure how I didn't came across this problem but p7zip is what you are after.

I just use atool, is not a gooey but comes with als to see inside archives and aunpack to automagically unpack stuff.

Just create new partition?

It was an issue in the early SSD days, wear due to writes is not as much of a problem today.

Also keep in mint, that Linux simply won't use swap if it doesn't need to. I'm currently posting from an ancient laptop with 3GB ram. My swap usage is 0byte.

Hello gentlemen.
I didn't use any desktop Linux for nearly 5 years. How good does it feel today to use it?
While I do like Linux, I always had some big and small issues with it — bad drivers, UI inconsistency(and sometimes plain ugliness), missing applications in repos, system upgrades going wrong and other kind of crap. Overall, I would say Linux was good, but required some kind of maintenance.

Since I switched to macOS I had 0 problems. It just works. But I feel that it's time to go back to gnu pastures because  hardware sucks and I don't want to waste time on hackintosh.
So, what is your honest opinion about desktop Linux today?

Why can't I enable incremental scaling in Fedora 28?

I tried the tweak Google recommends, but I still only have 200% or 100%

Literally the one thing stopping me switching.

>So, what is your honest opinion about desktop Linux today?
just install virtualbox and try it out yourself

KDE will support proper fractional scaling on Wayland starting next spring. Sway supports it now if you like tilers.

Does it matter that I'm using a sata III with a sata II making it more vulnerable to that sort of issue or am I talking nonsense?

You are talking nonsense. Wear was/is because chips could only support so many write cycles, it has nothing to do with the sata "level".

Thanks.

Using the latest firefox. I have add-ons buttons in the toolbar. I can click on them, but nothing happens.
ublockorigin
noscript
umatrix
Typically I'd click on them to configure setting for a site. Now, nothing happens when I click.

Hi Mr. advertiser, shame on you for spreading lies and propaganda.

firefox updated to 61 pretty recently. Werks fer me tho

Yeah. I reinstalled it already. This shit is annoying.

Does Debian netinstall just install a barebones system + xorg/server utils or does it give you a choice of de/wm?

it doesn't install a graphical interface at all afaik

barebones. it's been a while since I installed but I think during the installation it asks if you want a de and does it for you. or you can just do it afterwards.

Netinstall iso has packages for a very basic system and lets you select various metapackages which will be downloaded from the internet.
Basic packages are
-desktops (gnome, kde, mate, xfce, lxde, cinnamon)
-laptop
-ssh server
-print server
-web server
-basic tools (always selected)
You can also manually select extra stuff.

>Basic packages are
that came out wrong.
"Metapackages in the default list to choose from".

the ubuntu bugsplat tool is probably my least favorite program ever. This shit is worse than windows, because you'd expect better.

Just find the executable and chmod -x it

Linux is a kernel.

What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1530917373503.jpg (700x700, 81K)

kek

Why does Linux need Microsoft drivers? What's up with all that bloat?

Attached: 1529742136036.png (909x1600, 990K)

Why should I install systemd/linux Arch when systemd/linux opensuse tumbleweed exists?

Go on.

I bet you say that to all the boys.

your fetch won't show the fat man logo

because suse makes assumptions about how you want to use your operating system and configures it for you and lacks documentation as to how or why.
sometimes that's not ideal if you know what you're doing already.

Gtfo dumb 9gagger

What did this redditor mean by this?

How does a terminal emulator works?
What happens inside of my computer when I write a command?

>Datascience team has some ML pipeline written in Python with all the usual DS package
>Rewritting the pipeline, piece wise in a new framework
>Run the pipeline on my local machine, a 2017 macbook pro (the second lowest model), its fast
>Run it in Alpine based Docker, its 20x slower
wtf
>Run it in Alpine based Docker, in Data Center, where intra-node latencies are non-existent
>The CPU based side processing is STILL SLOWER ON AMAZON MACHINES WITH 20 CORES
>MY LOCAL MACBOOK IS OUTPERFORMING BY 20x ON LINUX ON CPU BASED WORKLOADS

I've literally just got up after working until 4am last night to figure out what fucking magic flags I have to enable to make what ever optimizations thats happening on my macbook work in THE CLOUD. I'm so fucking pissed. I've recompiled pandas, numpy, openblas, ATLAS a million fucking times.

Attached: 1232304258188.gif (412x253, 13K)

how can i make flash browser games to be faster to play without having to install windows and the ancient coowoon browser? i just want to play some browser vidya

>vidya
stopped reading there

Me too. I hate it when I read past the last word.

Microbenis' Hyper-V platform drivers.They know that people will want to run GAHNOO+Linux on their virtualization platform so they employed loonix programmers to add support for the platform to the kernel.

Ask Adobe to not write shitty software.

Alright so I'm trying to install steam on my laptop with debian 9 with an mx150 and using bumblebee and I have multiarch i386 set up and it's still giving me the error that it's missing the Libgl.so.1 32 bit library.

>steam
>debian
You dont want a distro thats 10 years behind on updates if you want to run steam.

shell exercise: read the following code and predict the output:
$ echo 'a\nb'
$ echo "echo 'a\nb'" > foo.sh && sh foo.sh

where is your god now?

Attached: o-CONCHITA-WURST-facebook.jpg (2000x1000, 367K)

what is an efficient torrent program for linux?

autism

transmission

Why would you want decade old graphics support on a platform that updates daily with new games using the latest libraries?

rtorrent

It prints the same for me. What's the issue?

Gimme a decent graphical file manager that's hopefully noy GTK based.

>suspend-resume
>window title font corruption
>media keys stop working
Sometimes I wish Linux could be "just werx"

huh? the question is why
$ (echo '\n' && echo "echo '\n'" > foo.sh && sh foo.sh)|wc -l
outputs 3 instead of 2.
there are two echos, so two newlines should be printed (note that all the '\n's are in single quotes, so they shouldnt be interpreted. but somehow the '\n' inside the script gets interpreted as an actual newline instead of the literal string '\n')
why?

I bet you're running bash as your user shell but /bin/sh is dash
So when you run sh foo.sh, dash executes the file, but when you run echo '\n', bash is interpreting the line.

So it's just differences between different shells.

HM, so if I do "bash foo.sh" instead of "sh foo.sh" I get the expected behaviour.
/bin/sh is dash on my debian system.
Is this a bug or 'true' bourne shell behaviour?

yes but shouldnt single quoted strings be taken literally in bourne compatible shells? and isnt dash bourne compatible?

whats the deal

spacefm
>gtk
Why would you not want gtk? KDE is literal shit

>what's up with that!

Attached: whats up with that.jpg (257x196, 5K)

Dont use a shitty de.

I can't find the page I'm thinking of describing dash right now, but dash doesn't aim for complete POSIX compatibility. They deliberately make some changes because POSIX has some questionable features.

bash, of course, isn't POSIX compatible at all.

So neither shell is "true bourne shell behavior", and neither is either shell completely POSIX compatible.

Also, bourne was just a shell, POSIX is the specification.

I'll post the link I'm thinking of when I find it.

Here's the link
debian.org/doc/debian-policy/#scripts
It describes features of dash which go beyond POSIX

>Is this a bug or 'true' bourne shell behaviour?
pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/echo.html
tl;dr don't use echo, use printf instead for any complex text if you're targeting portability
no modern shell is 'true' bourne shell

gnu.org/audio/gnu-pronunciation.ogg

Stop using echo; use printf.

Yes there is.
Go to your desired folder and press: t
that will put you on selection mode.
Use the arrows to select the songs you want to add, then press: space

Simple.

>but I want to leave Ubuntu
Why?

this wont boot right?

Attached: 20180708_145418.jpg (3264x1836, 1.57M)

> folder