BIOS or UEFI?

should i use BIOS or UEFI when it comes to installing linux?

Attached: itsallsotiresome.jpg (807x659, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QZwN2YNdlKg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

who cares if you're using shitty os lmao

uefi

Learn to use Wikipedia and arch wiki, faggot.

Also, if your pc is less than 10 years old, UEFI.

UEFI

Uefi maximum bloated, only retards use it.

use coreboot man, anything newer will be using uefi even if they claim to have a bios 'app' you can use.
If you dont care about a clean, potentially knowable, software foundation to all the rest of the shit that is bootstrapped up then just do whatever man its all good. Sleep well and brush your teeth is more important than a future where small provinces elect a tech bishops that vetos and maintains tech for their community and the wider distributed consensus layer

UEFI is pointless. Only good is if you want/need a system boot drive larger than 2TB (separate data only volumes can be any size you want, BIOS or UEFI, depends then on your os for how large a volume you can create). So for 2TB and under system/boot drives, a regular BIOS will suit you fine.

BIOS is much easier to get working. It doesn't make a huge difference unless your boot drive is over 2TB.

youtu.be/QZwN2YNdlKg

is UEFI a legit scheme to backdoor hardware even more than it already is?
what is the fucking point? what was wrong with BIOS?

and NO, YOU go read the wikipedo article and then come back and summarize it in 1 word for me

If you plan on doing vga passthrough, uefi is a must

I recommend BIOS.

Make sure you use the --removable option when running grub-install if you do go with uefi. This makes it possible to actually boot off another motherboard if you need to do that later. Motherboards do die. Some distributions do this for you when you install. Of course.. if your motherboard dies and you'd like to boot your HDD in an older computer without UEFI while you wait for a replacement motherboard then you're screwed.

There's no difference after your boot, so it doesn't really matter that much. BIOS is just more compatible.

Have you ever written a kernel? UEFI helps with a lot of shit

Ever written an interrupt routine? You faggot? You CIA nigger?

Don't worry about CIA user.
No one care about you.

Attached: 1526183163798.png (410x434, 280K)

>UEFI is pointless
>standardized and predictable firmware/software abstractions are pointless

ya ok. "BIOS" sucked and I'm glad it is gone.

does it work on laptops?

UEFI is much more complex than the BIOS that it replaced. It consists of millions of lines of code and is an entire operating system, with network device drivers, graphics, USB, TCP, https, etc, etc, etc. All of these features represents increased "surface area" for attacks, as well as unnecessary complexity in the boot process.

I hate this meme "complexity" argument.
any fully complete system will be complex. In a lot of ways, I'd rather the complexity be centralized in well funded multimillion dollar projects than push the hard shit into poorly designed user garbage.

>bios

Attached: boomerwind.jpg (599x598, 114K)

BIOS, always. UEFI is botnet.

Use rEFInd.

>

check'd

UEFI.

Fuck you.

This