/wt/ - Watch Thread: Vintage dress watches edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=dHz4QflumIY

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

> Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Previous thread

Attached: ug.jpg (640x480, 58K)

The latest generation Apple Watch is legitimately useful with improved sensors and LTE data connection.

Attached: applewatch-musicstream-still.jpg (1920x1080, 135K)

Gonna be James Bond one day

Attached: Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-SMP-Baselworld-2018-5.jpg (2100x1400, 317K)

Attached: IMG_20171105_205300_430.jpg (2968x2968, 2.15M)

How unusual is overlap between automatic divers and chronos? Did rolex ever do a daytona that stepped on the submariners toes?

My friend has the latest Apple Watch and that thing lasts through a whole day, easily.

His watch was at 87% at the end of the day yesterday after charging it over night.

Attached: apple-watch-water-resistance-hero2.jpg (1600x1200, 498K)

Not with that busted ass Ray II homage you're not.

Attached: 1530813199118.jpg (2016x1512, 737K)

>50 days left

Sigh.

Attached: 2000_1125_presage_K203_01183519281153.jpg (2000x1125, 184K)

That's not something to brag about. A "smartwatch" is stupid considering we have phones.
>inb4 so are regular watches
Regular watches either charge themselves, can be hand wound or have battery life measured in years.

Is this thing really 2 grand? Defend that.

he cant lol

>new movement
>new construction
>slimmer
>zaratsu polished and protected by a super-hard coating
>sapphire crystal, also treated with a super-clear coating

worth every cent

Thats really nice user.

Cant wait to see that on a nato strap.

>new movement
Be more specific.

Attached: full.jpg (560x335, 21K)

That picture and description does nothing towards making me want to spend 2k on a seiko and I've already spent 2k on a seiko.

read more elsewhere if you're interested. it's a top grade movement

Sup, britbro.

Attached: IMG_20180423_155659__01.jpg (2560x2516, 1.67M)

But i'm not interested. I haven't heard anything about this watch that suggests it's worth 2k. If I have to go looking for reasons to like this watch on my own time the marketing guys have dropped the ball..

You must be fun at parties

And your friend is a massive autist.

>But i'm not interested
lovely. over&out

>that faggot
>parties
Ohhh, you!

>explain this to me
>i'm not even interested

Attached: fe3.gif (600x543, 208K)

>Trust me bro it's worth 2k bro. Do some research
That's not how it works. It's seikos job to convince me that it's worth 2k. I'm not obligated to research every watch they put out. Especially something 5-6 times the price of a sarb that looks exactly like a sarb.

>New 6L35 is an ETA 2892-A2 top grade competitor.
>New monocoque construction allowing a much thinner case.
>Case finished to GS levels including zaratsu polishing
It's the best made watch on the market at its MSRP, by miles, and Seikos usually sell at a discount vs MSRP.

Mental illness is a bitch. But they can help you, just don't wait too long.

Which one, /wt/?

Attached: SpeedmasterStraps.jpg (3838x1080, 774K)

no, no, you don't understand. he'll ignore everything you posted and just say that he doesn't know anything about the watch and it's not worth le 2 grand lmao

It's sad how much a stubborn faggot you are

Bracelet

It's crazy how hard people are circling the wagons for a 2 thousand dollar sarb. Only one guy even attempts to justify the price and fails imo.

Bracelet, of course.

I don't think it's worth $2k, but this kind of attitude is ridiculous

I'd buy it for $800, $900 tops. Only a fool would shell out $2k for a non-GS Seiko.

>this faggot STILL trying
ahahahahahaha

Because you don't know a single thing about the watch.

I could get a quality Ball watch for $2k. Why would I get a Seiko?

It's not the consumers responsibility to know about the product that is the marketers job. If the consumer sees no reason to spend 2k on a watch that they feel isn't worth 2k then the marketers have failed.

It's a limited edition with only 1881 units. They'll sell them all, my friend

Attached: 1404234285891.jpg (920x1000, 105K)

Not to me they won't. I have no issue with spending 2k on a non-GS seiko I've done it before and I would do it again but I see zero reason to spend 2k on this particular non-GS seiko and it's not my responsibility to go looking for reasons to do so. If the want me to buy it they need to pump the gas a little.

I'm with you friend. When did this trend of having the consumer do the job of marketing begin?

Please say the same thing 100 more times. Do it.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 3.40.20 PM.png (1282x1568, 3.01M)

I heard that the 6L35 is pretty much just a repackaged 4L25, which was once used in Credors

Exactly.
>hurr durr it's got a new movement
Ok is this new movement any good?
> monocoque construction
All cases are monocoque construction
>it's polished better
I'm not spending an extra $1600 for some polishing
>it's limited edition
Doesn't mean shit with seikos. 300 pieces limited editions show up cheap.

I NEED YOUR HELP /wt/!!!

I need a dive watch for a lithe nubile 11 year old boy, he will be swimming 2 miles under water at a depth of 15 feet with 0 visibility. I need something with good lume that can be seen for 6 hours that WILL NOT BREAK and will look good on the wrist of a little boy who was just raped by his coach for 2 weeks in a cave.

Please post suggestions, this is urgent

>Only a fool would shell out $2k for a non-GS Seiko.
You really don't understand how Seiko works. What name a watch is released under is not necessarily indicative of which part of Seiko makes it.

The case and bracelet are literally made in the same factory as the GS ones, and get the full treatment including zaratsu. Those *are* GS cases in all but name, and because they have Diashield scratch resistant coating.

The 6L35 is a brand new iteration of the 4Lxx base that Seiko sold to Soprod years ago and was the basis of the Soprod A10 that was routinely used in $5,000 watches.

In terms of market positioning, this limited edition is basically a King Seiko.

>All cases are monocoque construction
Congratulations on embarrassing yourself.

>Not to me they won't.

Attached: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png (769x595, 153K)

>The case and bracelet are literally made in the same factory as the GS ones,

This is not a new thing. Many regular seikos were made in the GS factory and they didn't charge 2k for a simple SS dress watch.

>Seiko fanboys using actual 9gag memes from 2011

There is a difference between being made in the same factory and being finished to the same level, including zaratsu polishing all the polished surfaces.

No other watchmaker offers anything with the external finishing quality of that limited edition, with a comparable movement, for less than $4,000, so calling that watch overpriced at $2,000 is nonsensical.

It's funny because I could be considered a seiko fanboy who has spent too much money on seikos that might be better spent on cheesenigger watches but now I'm being attacked by other seiko fanboys for not gobbling seiko balls over this 2k sarb.

I want to RUB on her titty.

>with a comparable movement
Why is this movement worth so much? it's clearly unfinished.

Fine, you're right, it's a piece of shit and no one should buy it. Stop shitting up the thread now.

Attached: philippe dufour duality caseback.jpg (1600x1200, 390K)

99 more times. DO IT!

>strap monster

Attached: me.jpg (500x375, 53K)

Who is really shitting up the thread? the people asking if it's really worth 2k or the frothing dick heads posting 2-3 angry replies every time but lacking any real arguments?

>2k sarb
That watch has nothing in common with a SARB, which you know.

>Why is this movement worth so much? it's clearly unfinished.
It isn't unfurnished, and in any case it is at bare minimum an equivalent for the ETA 2892-A2 top grade, and Soprod A10 (which is literally abused on an earlier version of the same movement). Those movements are routinely used in ~$4k watches.

Nigga is so bad at making accurate watches that he needs to combine two balance wheels to meet cosc spec, top kek.

Theardly discord link:
dis-cord.gg/nX3B2Sv

Attached: discord_94308.png (512x512, 20K)

Still not worth $2k. Maybe if the put a 9S in there, it would justify the price.

Thanks.
Not much, you?

>Those movements are routinely used in ~$4k watches
That's a terrible argument and you know it. Cheap movements are routinely used in
disproportionally expensive watches

>That watch has nothing in common with a SARB,
Except it does. It's basically a poor mans GS which costs 5x as much as the current poor mans GS.

Do i get to see windys gf if i join?

NASA spec velcro

No. But you'll probably see her if you go to

casio f91w

Ok, do i get to see cool vintage timepieces with pure class?

>Still not worth $2k. Maybe if the put a 9S in there, it would justify the price.
So your argument then is that Grand Seiko automatics should be $2k? Because you'd have a GS at $2k if you put the 9S in there.

>Cheap movements are routinely used in
>disproportionally expensive watches
The ETA 2892-A2 top grade and Soprod A10 are not cheap movements and you know that.

The Soprod A10 was never used in any cheap watches that I know of, in fact it was generally considered superior to the ETA 2892-A2 top grade, and remember that the Soprod is based on an older version of the 6L35.

>Except it does.
Aside from not being made by any of the same divisions of Seiko, or using the sam movement, or being externally finished to the same standard. Your argument amounts to complaining that an Omega Aqua Terra is overpriced because Swatch sells Tissot Visodates for $400. The only thing SARBs and SLA tier models have in common is a parent company.

Absolutely.

They have market segment in common. The " I can't afford a GS" segment. You're not really gaining anything owning this new limited edition over owning a sarb which already enjoys an excellent reputation so why bother.

If external finishing and movement quality don't matter to you, and levels of external finishing quality and movement quality can't distinguish price brackets of watches for you, why are you buying Seikos at all? That makes no sense.

you are literally retarded

>why would you buy a mercedes S class if you can buy a mercedes A class!!!!!!!! look at me I'm braindead!

>Ball
get two and rest them on your chin

The sarb was already very highly praised for external finishing quality and the movement quality of this new watch is yet to be seen. What's the point paying 5 times as much for a watch nobody will give a shit about? Either you can afford a sarb or you can afford a GS.

>The sarb was already very highly praised for external finishing quality
For the price. The SARB line isn't on the same planet as a GS case and bracelet

>the movement quality of this new watch is yet to be seen
The 6L35 is an evolution of the 4L35 which was so good that the rights for it were sold to Soprod who produced it as a movement better than the already highly regarded 2892-A2.

>What's the point paying 5 times as much for a watch nobody will give a shit about?
And here finally is the admission that your interest in watches is as social status totems rather than in the watches themselves. In that case, Seikos aren't for you.

>In that case, Seikos aren't for you
I've already spent 2k on a seiko when I could have spent it on cheesenigger memewatches so your opinion on who seikos are for doesn't hold any weight with me.

Attached: 7b34c23d54cb499acc13a810cadf6123.jpg (639x960, 115K)

If you don't overpay for a Seiko mall watch you don't appreciate muh horological virtues
>but WTF does "horological virtues mean"
Obviously you don't know SHIT about horology. Go back to your Skagens and Invictas, adults are talking. Ever heard of Grand Seiko? Well this is basically a Grand Seiko. Obviously you've never heard of that because you're not a real hologist like me.

>zaratsu polishing

Attached: 25023706_1569053936475512_8837891850091102208_n.jpg (1080x1080, 132K)

There's plenty of material on why the regular GS is worth the price but what about this diver?

The diver has all the fit and finish of the other GSes. The only downsides are the massive size (44mm) and non-ceramic bezel. The extension tool on the bracelet for fitting over dive suits is also unnecessary for 99% of dive watch wearers.

Attached: seiko-sje073-oblique.jpg (1024x856, 208K)

Attached: seiko-sje073-dial-detail.jpg (1024x768, 210K)

Yuck do people actually like that dial? Also the seconds hand looks painted.

Attached: seiko-sje073-back.jpg (1024x768, 271K)

>Also the seconds hand looks painted.
It's heat blued on this version.

Couldn't even blue the screws huh? Boy the Japs really cheaped out on this one.

Attached: 1530210876389.gif (320x240, 22K)

stop trolling, you're not even funny

>Couldn't even blue the screws huh?
Does anyone besides Nomos heat blue screws on sub $3,000 watches? I'm actually curious if you know anyone else who does, because I can't think of anyone else.

>anyone who disagrees with me is a trole xD

So you admit there are better watches at that price point.

looks like a $500 watch

What is the point of a display back if you're just "showing off" a workhorse movement?