Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0VmCrblDMlc
mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222123
youtube.com/watch?v=8rkoHcJGo18
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ereader. /thread

ereader.

e-reader

I like paperback just because I stare at computer screens way too much. I also like to flip back to parts of the book to reread sections, especially when reading mysteries, and it's easier for me to do this with paper.

E-reader is superior in almost every way though.

Any ereaders you guys are using? I'm currently using a 3rd gen kindle

kindle paperwhite it has everything you need in an ereader, backlight dictionary etc

e-ink display isnt the same as a computer screen

i'm all for people using them and they really are great but i personally don't use one because i refuse to have to eventually say "my book is out of battery"

I'm going to get a Clara HD, no Amazon where I live and it's a fair bit smaller/cheaper.

I might actually consider the aura one but it's 100 for a little bit if extra screen.

Ereader batteries last well over a month

ereader because piracy

My mom got a kindle and it's fine. The only problem is that it doesn't read epubs which if you ask me is a dealbreaker. I got a cheap pocketbook for myself and it literally reads every format I throw at it. It also has microsd card slot for some reason even though 4gb internal storage is plenty for ebooks

exactly this. also battery for a month and thousand books at the samw time at the palm of your hands.

REE WHY ARE THEY TAKING MICROSD SLOTS AWAY FROM ME?

Epub to azw3 is a trivial conversion.

Yeah but you know what is easier? Not converting at all and having a device that reads the format. I swear kindle is the iPhone of Ebook readers

>For travel
E-ink readers. They last for months with usage. Tablets last for few hours maybe 1 day at most.

>For color/home use
Tablets. E inks displays dont have color and since you're at home, why do you need to worry about battery?

In terms of books eink beats any computer screen due to lack of eye strain.

>it doesn't read epubs which if you ask me is a dealbreaker
convert to .mobi, they are almost identical formats? (anyway it's lightning fast to do in Calibre)

when I select a book in calibre to put on my kindle, it automagically converts formats for me.
what kind of brainlet are you

Actually there are some prototype color eink displays
youtube.com/watch?v=0VmCrblDMlc

The sole reason I purchased Ebook reader. They strain your eyes less.

The kind that just drags and drops all his books in his ereader and then reads them. No extra software required

mobi is actually pretty different from epub as far as I know, but azw3 is very similar.
Basically HTML with CSS.

Assuming you read, get an e-reader. Paperback is good for sentiment, but e-readers are space effecienct for travel

kindle voyage. worth the money.

iPad

kindle paperwhite. i dont read massive amounts but its better than when i used an ipad and i can read in the dark

/thread

Depends on if you want to watch videos, read ebooks or wipe your ass.

Only Epub supports Chinese and only Android displays it, chief

>he doesn't use calibre to clean up the metadata of his books
>he doesn't have calibre auto scrape some news websites and make newspapers for him

Attached: 1524322699918.jpg (393x298, 57K)

waterproof and f.lux

good old kobo touch + ka1

Not an argument, see

The Clara also has flux and I don't give a shit about waterproofing to be honest m

>4gb internal storage is plenty for ebooks
not for lots of textbook pdfs with diagrams

If it's a textbook it has to be a physical book. Trying to read a textbook from a screen for more than an hour is headache-inducing.

Then it's a good thing it can support up to 32gb of microsd cards

Kobo GLO HD, firmware 3.14 which was the basic one and easy to install if you consider one.

120 hours of reading right now and not a single ticky thing at all also. you can install your own dictionaries.

that's why there's separate display type called e-ink. that display is fully physical and doesn't hurt you in any way.

I meant analogue with that*

all of them

Recommendations for a FLOSS ereader? Literally any feature set will do, just want sideloading and maybe microSD.

True but flipping through a textbook is much easier than having to scroll through, not to mention having physical bookmarks and the ability to write in the margins is nice.

Although if you are reading anything not STEM related might as well buy an ereader

Maybe a sony prs ereader

Is the Kobo Aura any good?

>etc
botnet, etc.

The only thing I don't quite like about e-readers is:
>page refresh takes like 0.2 seconds, enough to notice and trigger me
>equations and math were shit last time I checked, especially for pdfs (99% of science is in pdf format also I pirate papers)

Does pdf support equations or are they just images?

as far as I know, pdf does support equations.
I mean have you ever read a paper made with LaTeX? These are not images, but legit vector symbols like the rest of the normal alphabet pieced together by TeX engine...

This. You write LaTeX and have it convert using LaTeXPDF, DVI->PS, etc.

>i personally don't use one because i refuse to have to eventually say "my book is out of battery"
Hah, those kids and their wacky electronic devices, amirite? I bet you felt proud for coming up with that witty quip for the entire ten minutes it took you to hunt and peck type that post on your Dell membrane keyboard.

Attached: 1530273873691.png (750x1113, 1.21M)

just trashpicked a kindle 2, seems pretty cool

Best ereader is the kindle 4

>thin and extremely portable
>amazing battery life
>no unnecessary keyboard bulk
>hardware buttons
>no touchscreen fuckery
>no backlight - you shouldn't read in the dark anyway

Attached: kindle-4-notes.jpg (500x715, 75K)

>textbook is much easier than having to scroll through
But searching is easier with ebooks

Usually I already know where the thing I need from a textbook is and just need a ripped out piece of a paper as a bookmark to flip to the page as I do problem sets. I'm just talking about referencing equations and whatnot.

this

i bought a newspaper at the airport so i could save battery.

Most ereaders are shit, but if you're going hiking in the mountains for two weeks, they can't be beat. I read 5 books on my Kobo last year and only had to carry less weight than one book for it.
Tablets are decent for reading, but suck with annotation etc. Laptops are slightly better at notetaking, slightly worse or the same for reading. There's also the distraction factor for these, much harder to be disciplined when you can just switch to a browser
Actual books and pens for notetaking are the best for learning, but are bulkier and have higher unit cost (total cost depends on how much you read for the other types).

But typing is a nightmare which is why I like the 3rd gen kindle better

This

Personally, I think people who buy ereaders have a severe mental problem. Just pay a bit more and you can do almost everything you can do on a computer on a tablet.

>severe mental problem
Says the person who doesn't realise what distinguishes an e-reader is the e-ink display. It's literally identical to reading paper. It's in no way comparable to reading a book on a computer/tablet

Bought a Kindle Oasis and I don't regret it. It's really overpriced but feels so good and the bezel on the side makes so much more sense. The resolution is nice but I feel like it doesn't really matter that much when reading.
t. brainlet that doesn't actually read

>you can do almost everything you can do on a computer on a tablet
Sure, if you only use your computer to do things that could be done on a phone.

If you don't fall for the ink replacement scam, you can easily implement piracy for paper books, which right now are still the superior format for any STEM related subject; 6" display simply don't cut it and I won't spend a 1000$ for something bigger, since that's about 100'000 plain paper.
You can print a lot of fucking books on that much paper.

Textbooks are different, you should just pirate those and print them. E-readers are more suitable for reading novels and shit like that.

I want an e ink device I can hook up to a keyboard and type on. Like an ereader with a word processor that can handle 100's of pages. Any suggestions? Fuck the freewrite.

saw some guy put debian on his e-reader, you can get some text editor running on that so I think that's good enough.
mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222123
youtube.com/watch?v=8rkoHcJGo18
You can hook up a micro usb keyboard to it and type away.

Just got a Clara HD yesterday for €129, totally worth it because you can just drag&drop your TXT, EPUB and PDF files on it and it'll read them just fine.

Attached: IMG_20180709_013519_053.jpg (960x1280, 126K)

Definitely an e-reader. There's something really magical about them. Even compared to a tablet, the feel like crazy future technology. E-ink is fuckin' wild despite being so simple in the way it works.

Want to go e-reader, got a lot of .rtf books. Do I need to convert or do we have friendly container readers? Also mix of pdf, txt, doc, chm.?

i have an old amazon kindle just like the pic in the OP, instead of buying books i filled it with free books from gutenberg.org

I want to get into ereaders but I'm a fucking autist for physical books.
My local library even lets you rent ebooks

Attached: 1517970287003.png (403x448, 53K)

What sort of discounts will be put on kindles during the upcoming prime day sale?

E-reader. Physical books are always great and e-readers are shit for comics, images or anything with illustrations but being able to carry around years of reading in your pocket is amazing.

Just think, someone will make a e-reader and tablet with solar panels on the back and 2 512 gb micro SD bays.

>kindle voyage

LOL

Kobo Aura One master race reporting in

Phone with PDFs on SD card.

every ereader does that

Both a tablet and e-reader, since I read comics too.

kobo Clara HD, running Kobo Start Menu 09 and KOReader on top
Had a Glo HD before, which is basically the same device.

Attached: IMG_20180605_155826.jpg (3264x2448, 2.56M)

i love the backlight on my paperwhite

Generally I see if my local library has a physical copy, if not libgen + ereader.

Feels weird going to a library in 2018, in a world full of DRM, it's like legal piracy.

EReader. Recently I bought Kobo Aura One with comfort light (screen light turns yellow/orange while reading at night) which makes reading much more comfortable for eyes and I like to read at night.
I read paper only when I can't find electronic version of some specific book or there's only pdf available.

>/threading his own post
nigger

Attached: 1530390178985.jpg (837x595, 215K)

Audiobook

What kind of workflows do you guys have?
I use calibre as a server or send articles via instapaper to my paperwhite. On the off chance that it's a PDF I convert it via k2pdfopt, which works decently enough.
I wish the Kindle paperwhite was more hackable though.
Oh, What I wouldn't give for koreader on the paperwhite!

>Buying DRM'd books

Pirate 'em drm-free.

for textbooks, or any book that will have you going back and forth between chapters, paper is the only option
for everything else it's a tie between e-reader and physical book, I like paper books better because of the feel and smell, but e-reader is far more practical

reading on a tablet or a computer monitor is for retarded mongrels

What do you guys think is best for chinese cartoon comics? 6" ereaders like kindle seem a little too small, I think there are 7 or 8" ereaders as well but it seems like a 10" tablet would be better.

I have paper books + a kobo eink ereader.
It's too expensive to only have paper books, but I also like having a collection of stuff I love.

libgen > calibre > kobo aura
I was going to get a kindle paperwhite, but decided on the kobo for it's no ads + openness.

Currently reading The Expanse series, which I also own all the paperbacks that are out currently. Really love it.

Attached: 1530869085747.jpg (274x268, 64K)

E-reader is great, when it actually works. More often than not, you load the ebook, it takes fucking forever for the device to load it, then the text is improperly formatted for whatever bullshit reason.

I find myself often just reading shit on my monitor because I don't feel like finding a way to fix the epub.

What kind of stuff are you trying to read? Like, what sources?

What is the best e-reader for doujinshi?

I bought a Kobo Glo with case for 40 bucks on eBay after my Kindle 3 died, feels the same I haven't used the backlight much but it's pretty nice.
On a side note, where do you guys download books?

What's the best Kobo in the market right now? I have a Kindle Paperwhite but I would like to upgrade.