Stop calling it gnu/Linux already. No one gives a fuck. You all sound like a fucking nerds when pronounce it like that...

Stop calling it gnu/Linux already. No one gives a fuck. You all sound like a fucking nerds when pronounce it like that. Just Linux. Richard Stallman my ass.

What a sore loser, he's making it sound like the kernel is just an add-on piece of the system that anybody can make, despite the fact that he failed to make a working and reliable one.

Major part of Gnu and Linux written in C, so what? Even heard how Dennis Richie was crying about not mentioning him and his lang and whole fucking Bell Labs? Thats how real alpha males act not like omega crybabies like stallman.

Attached: OB32AHW35_-wY3cAuk974MJykqdDkGFN9SK_qfW8tXg~2.png (328x326, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gpl-violations.org/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

stop using gnu coreutils then

>Just Linux
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as "Just Linux", is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Literally who?

the tools are useful, who cares if you don't like Stallman

stop using C then, it's not GNU/Linux it's C plus Linux

C is a language

Except for that unfortunate emacs experiment, Stallman is always right.

i'm calling it james because it's free as in freedom and i can do whatever the fuck i want with it

Who the heck is Stallman?

the walrus in op's pic

a guy who used to write some nifty programs and wanted to create an os but was too distracted by linguistic autism to pull through and forgot the most vital system component. he got beat to the punch by linus torvalds and nowadays prefers to yell at people who don't give him enough "credit" instead of writing code

>Major part of Gnu and Linux written in C, so what? Even heard how Dennis Richie was crying about not mentioning him and his lang and whole fucking Bell Labs? Thats how real alpha males act not like omega crybabies like stallman.
Literally everyone already knows GNU/Linux is a form of Unix. He has lost no credit to it.

You may not know it from browsing Jow Forums, but in reality he doesn't actually spend much time on the naming thing.

he sure spends a lot of time explaining the meaning of 'free'

Why do you think it is that, when Linus wrote Linux, there already was an entire ready operating system for him to run with his kernel? It's because it was all GNU stuff. It's not at all unreasonable to keep calling the system GNU when all that was added to it was a new kernel. It's not like GNU hadn't run previously, just not on a GPL-licensed kernel.

So?

I'm running TuxKart/Linux.

... yes? Is that somehow related to the discussion at hand?

I laughed mate.

yes, stallman and his idiotic antics are very related to this thread

How is it idiotic to educate people against free software and why it matters?

>i can do whatever the fuck i want with it
reported to gpl-violations.org/

Attached: install_gentoo.jpg (766x758, 236K)

it's idiotic to repeat the same shit over and over again if all he has to do is renaming it to "libre software". but he won't do this. why? because it would give him one less opportunity to throw a spergfit

OP is an asshole, more people should donate $ to the fsf

>if all he has to do is renaming it to "libre software".

Attached: strawman-1.jpg (295x260, 22K)

Richard is a fucking hack and his followers are worst calamity Jow Forums has ever faced.

Attached: Richard is a hack.jpg (692x755, 144K)

do you even have any idea what a strawman argument is or are you just randomly shitting out posts because you're frustrated?

>Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use.
I love Linus, but that makes you wonder why he himself is calling it the "Linux kernel" rather than the "Linux operating system". An operating system is commonly understood to also include various kinds of utilities in addition to the kernel.

Right, I actually remembered the definition wrong as being a simplified argument drawn to its logical conclusion. Either way, your argument is stupid. All his issues would not be fixed by renaming it "libre software", not even a small fraction of them, and it would also introduce the eternal question "wtf does libre mean".

sure, it wouldn't help defining what libre software actually is but it would spare us the rant about how free has several meanings in english. he just loves to rant about that, usually followed by explanation how free doesn't necessarily mean it's gratis

>still posting this fake shit
>still falling for this fake shit

>I love Linus
You shouldn't, he's Microsoft payed cuck.

Gnu made much more than coreutils. They made glibc, gnome (with gtk and shit), bash, nano and much more.
What would you do without gnu?
We are talking about the resulting os, not the kernel that does shit and is bloated anyway. Linus is just riding the hypetrain and takes the credit for all his slaves.

Only ever listen to Stallman when he talks about proprietary software. Everything else is just white noise.

That jpg is fake. Linus never said that shit.
Now that you know, you can stop reposting it.

Attached: fake.gif (450x270, 626K)

There also the issue that "free software" just sounds nicer and is easier to say than "libre software".

>he's Microsoft payed cuck
wat

Attached: wat-2.png (700x700, 362K)

>largest contributor to the linux foundation: microsoft
>pays linus torvalds: the linux foundation

>C plus Linux
It's Linux on C.

It is the Linux kernel.
The kernel is objectively THE most important part of the OS.
It should go by Linux. Names should follow suit of the kernel, not whatever the fuck surrounds it.
Or it should at least be Linux/GNU.

Wrong. Kernel is nothing without tools.

>durr

Tools are nothing without kernel.
Software is developed with specific kernels in mind.
Kernels are the most import parts of OSs.

>The kernel is objectively THE most important part of the OS.
Not if the tools can run just as well on other kernels too, which they can and did before Linux was.
>Software is developed with specific kernels in mind.
Absolutely wrong.

>Software is developed with specific kernels in mind.
Idiot.

It is right and proper to mention the principal contribution first. The GNU contribution to the system is not only bigger than Linux and prior to Linux, we actually started the whole activity.

In addition, “GNU/Linux” fits the fact that Linux is the lowest level of the system and GNU fills technically higher levels.

However, if you prefer to call the system “Linux/GNU”, that is a lot better than what people usually do, which is to omit GNU entirely and make it seem that the whole system is Linux.

Tools are nothing without the kernel.

The GNU system existed many years before Linux was a thing.

>Tools are nothing without the kernel.
There are many kernels. Guess why Linux is popular while other kernels aren't.

this is why you should call it systemd/gnu/x11/linux

See

>proper
There is no such thing as proper. Proper is a social construct. Educate yourself.
>however
I'm listening.
>better than what other people do
I WAS RIGHT ABOUT CALLING IT LINUX/GNU SOMEONE GIMME A FUCKIN' MEDAL HAHAHAHAHAHA.

>I WAS RIGHT
???

Refer to: Bottom line.

>better
>right
??????

SOMEONE AGREED WITH ME THAT MEANS I'M RIGHT SHUSH DON'T TAKE THIS FROM ME.

OP, you're absolutely right.
I will start to call it Bell/GNU/Linux now and get pissed off at anyone that don't do the same.

The real reason nobody calls it GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux is simply because 'GNU' is a stupid fucking name. Not because people are unwilling to give credit.

You know the stupidest name ever? Yours.

Quad-dubs-dubs won't save your retardation today.

Absolutely this